The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 15th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Vato
This Is Our Last Goodbye

Nature: Lonely

Advertise here
Good luck with that Altix

Y'know I feel that this thread deserves some more love
*hugs thread*

I other news regarding myself, I recently began going to a High School which is incredibly friendly with everyone... So friendly that its scary... Well, at least it's not filled with a lot of homophobes...

FC [B2]: 0992 1015 0443
VM/PM me whenever you feel like trading/kicking my butt on a battle
Old September 15th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Sodom
The Bible just got a whole lot sexier.

Nature: Adamant
What do you mean by so friendly that it's scary? Friendly how? XD

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old September 15th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Vato
This Is Our Last Goodbye

Nature: Lonely
As in, tough/scray looking guys saying -Hello there, stranger!!!!!111!!!one, How are ya?!- and girls that suddenly are your best friends, even when you have never talked to them...

That kind of 'friendly'.

Not that I complain, it's easier to make friends that way
And with friends come teamwork solving seemingly impossible Algebra stuff

FC [B2]: 0992 1015 0443
VM/PM me whenever you feel like trading/kicking my butt on a battle
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Altix
Son of a Snivy and a Zoroark

Nature: Docile
Been a week....Finally replied to his e-mail XD

Me: Sorry for taking so long to reply. I was going to inquire about contacting you at the school. At my last school you had to have a office pass to visit the Principal, or Vice Principal. What is the policy at Notmyrealschool? I am also going to tell you the group I want to create is a Gay-Straight Alliance.

Last edited by Altix; September 17th, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old September 16th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Vintage Arachnid
im always watchin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Vintage Arachnid
Just checking in! I'm still roommateless and I don't think I'll get one again, yay!

And one of the Pride groups that I'm apart of on campus is named The Rainbow Connection. I thought that was pretty cool.

THE EXTREMELY JEALOUS PAIR OF CAREFULWETPAINT
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Sodom

:O Is it really? That's amazing! Scarf came up with The Rainbow Connection here - Scarf, did you know about this?!

That's also good about the roommate thing, house to yourself! So long as it doesn't increase your rent D:

And Altix that's great! Let us know what he responds with! You might want to edit out the name of your school, though. You never know where creepers could be on the internet

Old September 17th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Altix

Thats nice retro bug. Have fun being lonely, and deppressed all by yourself MWAHAHA...lol jk

Yes, School name...Return!
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
:O Is it really? That's amazing! Scarf came up with The Rainbow Connection here - Scarf, did you know about this?!
No, but it's a famous song title so I'm not surprised. There are probably lots of Rainbow Connections around the world. Sorry if that makes us sound unspecial, SR.

And Altix, you have to let us know how your meeting goes when you have it.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Sodom

The only thing that makes our name less special is that that song is genuinely terrible

Old September 17th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Kiyoshi2
....Wait, excuse me?

Nature: Naive
GAH I FEEL SO NAKED IN THIS ACCOUNT.

Anyways, this all reminds me of something my town's middle school did after I left. Apparently, a GSA did kind of get formed there when I was a sophomore. Except, they couldn't call it "Gay Straight Alliance" because it had the word "gay" in it. Because in eigth grade, calling someone "gay" is srs bns.

So they had to call it "Labels are for Cans," and it was run by the lovely art teacher there whom everyone liked but I can't help but think disliked me for some reason but whatever. In my junior year, we actually had an influx of freshmen joining the GSA in our high school from that club. But, they originally had a lot less people in their club to start, because no one really knew what it was from the name.

So it was partially successful, but then again, I live in a generally accepting area where the GSA is actually the biggest club in the school. So I'm probably one of those bastards skewing up the statistics. Look at me and my fancy statistics class talk.
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi2 View Post
GAH I FEEL SO NAKED IN THIS ACCOUNT.

Anyways, this all reminds me of something my town's middle school did after I left. Apparently, a GSA did kind of get formed there when I was a sophomore. Except, they couldn't call it "Gay Straight Alliance" because it had the word "gay" in it. Because in eigth grade, calling someone "gay" is srs bns.

So they had to call it "Labels are for Cans," and it was run by the lovely art teacher there whom everyone liked but I can't help but think disliked me for some reason but whatever. In my junior year, we actually had an influx of freshmen joining the GSA in our high school from that club. But, they originally had a lot less people in their club to start, because no one really knew what it was from the name.

So it was partially successful, but then again, I live in a generally accepting area where the GSA is actually the biggest club in the school. So I'm probably one of those bastards skewing up the statistics. Look at me and my fancy statistics class talk.
Look, someone's naked!

My high school had a GSA (which I helped found, thank you very much), but after an initial influx of students it died down to about 5 girls once all the boys realized they knew everyone who was gay in school and that they weren't going to find anyone to hook up with and as much as we tried to make our club useful there wasn't much we could do except exist and hope that if anyone had problems they would know we were there.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Ursula
have we got a deal?
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to Ursula Send a message via Skype™ to Ursula
My high school had no such thing. It was far too small, and even more small minded to have such a thing. :C The colleges I attended had ones, though.

Quote:
The only thing that makes our name less special is that that song is genuinely terrible
ANDY WHAT EVEN
That song is precious. >:<

I mean, lookie here. Precious.

Last edited by Ursula; September 18th, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
My high school was Catholic. Surprisingly the principal (a nun) was really sympathetic to issues in the school relating to gay rights, such as harsh punishment on people that bullied others for their sexuality, but she drew the line at GSAs and at allowing same-sex couples to go to prom together. It always seemed like she didn't want to though, the way she phrased it, but she had to because otherwise they would lose the Catholic Church's funding lol.

Notre Dame also won't give us a decision on if they'll allow us to have an official GSA either. D; They're in a bad position because they want to be progressive but a lot of their money comes from old Catholic donors that would pull their support if they started becoming more un-Catholic haha. They had enough of an uproar over Obama coming to speak...sighhh.
PM
Old September 21st, 2012, 05:24 PM
Sodom

Toujours why do you go everywhere Catholic

My school never had a GSA because... well, I live in Australia and the idea of schools having 'clubs' is a very American thing, I think. We had sports teams and that was pretty much it lol. Though if we did have one, I think "Labels Are For Cans" is actually a pretty good name. It's a shame people didn't understand what it meant lol.

And I'm sorry guys, I never watched the Muppets as a child so I guess I just don't have the nostalgic connection you guys do haha. It still sounds pretty boring to me

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:34 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

^
My high school was like that too, although in the States.

Since I live in a small conservative town, it seems like clubs were few and far between, and the ones that did exist were not very active. Also, there were not many different religion, culture, or races that made up the student body. Our school's "diversity" consisted of 2 Buddhists, 4 Blacks, and 2 Asians which deviated from the 850 whites and 855 Christians. I don't know how much that was a factor. Even though clubs are usually promoting activities, interests, causes, among other things that aren't directly related to racial/religious/sexual identity, it just didn't seem like anyone was interested in joining one due to the atmosphere of the school. But rest assured, everyone seemed made sure to support the football and hockey teams since they contribute so much to the community and school...don't mind my satirical tone.

Also, what is childhood without the influence of inspiring women such as Miss Piggy?

Don't be a rotten apple!
Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
!

Old September 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Esper

Yes. True. Miss Piggy is a gay icon.

Andy, you have to hand in your gay license now. You won't be invited to the secret meetings and you're forbidden from using the secret handshake.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:20 PM
CarefulWetPaint
Time to Say Goodbye
Community Supporter

Andy how have you not watched the Muppets!? I have only seen a few episodes but I have still seen some!

And my school also didnt have any clubs or even really any recognition of gay people. In all honesty I only know of 1 person who was lesbian so I doubt my old school could have even formed one. Clubs aren't really an Australian thing I guess.. This also makes me think is it hard for people to come out while still in high school?
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:44 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

I just watched the new Muppet's Movie, and was not impressed with the fact that it had racial coding. This new group of "moppets" were going to replace the Muppet. The moppets came from poor neighborhoods and there is indication of high crime as gun shots were sounded off in the alley where the brown-skinned Miss Piggy counterpart, Miss "Poo"gy lived. OH, and look at Fozzy's counterpart; he is wearing large gold chains, a wife-beater, and a black hat as if to depict the a "thug-like" appearance. The whole idea was that these "urban" Muppet knock-off were villainous, and thereby making some syllogism between poor and urban blacks with corrupt and villainous criminals.

Be wholesome like "us"...

...and don't be ghetto like "them"

Aside from that gaffe, I just didn't enjoy this movie at all
Bring Jim Henson back to life; I don't like the Muppets anymore!

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Old September 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ty- View Post
I just watched the new Muppet's Movie, and was not impressed with the fact that it had racial coding. This new group of "moppets" were going to replace the Muppet. The moppets came from poor neighborhoods and there is indication of high crime as gun shots were sounded off in the alley where the brown-skinned Miss Piggy counterpart, Miss "Poo"gy lived. OH, and look at Fozzy's counterpart; he is wearing large gold chains, a wife-beater, and a black hat as if to depict the a "thug-like" appearance. The whole idea was that these "urban" Muppet knock-off were villainous, and thereby making some syllogism between poor and urban blacks with corrupt and villainous criminals.

Be wholesome like "us"...

...and don't be ghetto like "them"

Aside from that gaffe, I just didn't enjoy this movie at all :(
Bring Jim Henson back to life; I don't like the Muppets anymore!
But the Moopet Rowlf is meant to be some kind of biker like a Hell's Angel or something, which makes him a white stereotype. And Moopet Kermit is lighter than the real Kermit. I don't think they are overall "ghetto." They're just meant to represent a bunch of cynical versions of Muppets who don't live in Happy Rainbow Muppet Land.

BUT ANYWAY

I was talking with some friends last night and one of them brought up this story about a kid from my old town who was gay and killed himself several years back. He apparently had gone to his priest, parents, and other people to try to talk to them about it, but everyone he went to gave him some version of "it's wrong to be gay." I'd never heard of this. I mean, I knew there had been a kid who died while I was in school, but nothing about this was ever mentioned in anything that I heard and now I'm angry and sad, but mostly sad.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:25 AM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
But the Moopet Rowlf is meant to be some kind of biker like a Hell's Angel or something, which makes him a white stereotype. And Moopet Kermit is lighter than the real Kermit. I don't think they are overall "ghetto." They're just meant to represent a bunch of cynical versions of Muppets who don't live in Happy Rainbow Muppet Land.

BUT ANYWAY

I was talking with some friends last night and one of them brought up this story about a kid from my old town who was gay and killed himself several years back. He apparently had gone to his priest, parents, and other people to try to talk to them about it, but everyone he went to gave him some version of "it's wrong to be gay." I'd never heard of this. I mean, I knew there had been a kid who died while I was in school, but nothing about this was ever mentioned in anything that I heard and now I'm angry and sad, but mostly sad.
Haha, stop trying to rain-on my Muppet conspiracy theories! I still think there is at least a poverty and gang-related aspect to the portrayal. Although not explicitly alluding to black people, there could be some implicit undertones.

On another note, it is quite frustrating and upsetting to see how kids especially are not only affected by bullying of peers, but the condemnation of their parents, family, and pastors/priests/ministers. I'd like to see more churches either be more accepting, or at least have the decency to not interject their hateful and ignorant remarks/advice. Also, churches should be able to work with parents to help them with the issue in a way that actually helps the child.

Ugh, and the Pope sure ain't helping either with his inflammatory remarks.

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Old September 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Altix

My principal talked to me in 8th period today and said "Hey, I got your E-mail, and was busy. But sometime we can talk about what you thinking." So thats a good sign I think!

Oh, and I personally loved the Muppet movie.
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Toujours why do you go everywhere Catholic :(
It just turned out this way! Catholic high school is far superior to my public high school, and I wanted to go to Columbia but waitlisting happened so ND instead. :(
PM
Old September 28th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Sodom

I love how I forgot to check this thread for a few days and it became a discussion about The Muppets lmfao. If it helps get me back into the secret meetings, I did watch Miss Piggy's interview on Chelsea Lately when she was around promoting the new Muppet movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf
I'd be more angry than sad. It actually never occurred to me to talk about this here, but a month or so back I went to the movies by myself to see Bully, because Ellen DeGeneres said everybody needs to see it and who am I to question Ellen? So I went and it turns out she was right as always - everybody does need to go see that movie. One of the stories it follows are the parents of a kid who killed himself because he was bullied for being gay... and I got the impression that it was just weeks after he killed himself that they started filming. The parents took you inside what was his bedroom and show you the closet where they found him hanging. It was not an easy movie to watch (I was bawling the entire time), but there were some uplifting moments and it's really important that it be seen by as many people as possible.

ANYWAY the reason I bring that up now is that is that it reminded me of one of the stories about a lesbian girl who came out of the closet in a small Southern town (can't remember which, probably in Alabama) and was of course bullied for it and made several suicide attempts. Luckily she was unsuccessful, but all of the stories in that movie had me coming out thinking that I don't know how these people can live with themselves. If I had ever said so much as one unkind word to a person and then found out that they'd taken their own life... and I thought that I had contributed to that in any way, I would never ever be able to forgive myself. So then I think about the parents and the minister whose job it is to guide young people and put their best interests over their own agenda and how they all contributed to that guy's death. That makes me angry more than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altix
My principal talked to me in 8th period today and said "Hey, I got your E-mail, and was busy. But sometime we can talk about what you thinking." So thats a good sign I think!
Yay keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours
It just turned out this way! Catholic high school is far superior to my public high school, and I wanted to go to Columbia but waitlisting happened so ND instead.
It still blows my mind that Catholic universities are something that exist lol. I knew of high schools but never until I met you had I heard about a university.

Old September 28th, 2012, 10:03 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Altix, that's great, I think that we assume that people will react a certain way or feel as certain way about gay people, but you never really know for sure.

Look at Laura Bush! She is a big-time gay marriage & gay rights advocate; even I unfairly assumed she was some right-wing neo-con bigot like her hubby.

Anyway hope that goes well.

Also, to Andy, I feel sad for the kid, and like you, contempt for the parents and minister, but I guess looking past the anger, there is a reason why the parents and ministers acted the way that they did in the situation. Maybe some parents of gay children should watch it, to give the preemptive effect on their reckless actions, like the movies in driver's education classes with the videos of horrendous car wrecks and deaths that are meant to deter us from driving unsafely. The problem with the parents that usually have the most adverse and damaging response to their child's sexuality is that they happen to receive guidance from their church leaders first rather than LGBT groups. That is why I really think that at the very least, states should require children to take a social diversity course, similar to most university requirements, that teach the psychological affects of our interactions with people who differ by sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, socioeconomic status, religion, age, disability, and gender, just to name a few. This would produce more tolerant people in high school, as well as people beyond high school as parents and religious leaders. Also, there should be more stringent policies about bullying in schools. I would see kids teased/beat-up in gym all the time. I complained several times about other students being picked-on, and the gym teacher/school didn't make any changes. I was bullied for the first two weeks of gym class, until I finally just beat the hell out of this guy, then he didn't want to mess with me Basically, the policy in place at my school implicitly encouraged violence as a method of dealing with bullying, which is completely absurd.

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:43 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
My dad just said, "You can't talk about homosexuality if you're autistic because you don't understand sex."

I'm thinking, sure I don't understand romance, but I sure as damn well know what equality and liberty and the right to needs is.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here