The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Inkblots

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
Yeah labels are useful until they are useless, and then they are just extremely useless.
Could not agree more, haha XD Especially when you get into some of the more complex sexualities, like SylphyStarr, where sexual attraction and romantic attraction don't necessarily match up.

Personally, I've always felt like such labels are really only useful when you aren't currently in a relationship, if only to let other people know in a succinct way who you might potentially be interested in, or not interested in. Once you're in a relationship, it's not so important anymore, in my opinion (though I don't think there's anything wrong with continuing to label oneself while in a relationship, as it can be important both to one's sense of identity, and to dispelling misconceptions about those labels, e.g., when a bi person finds a partner, and so many people who don't seem to understand what bi means then assume they have "chosen a team" and are now gay or straight).
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylphyStarr View Post
I would love love loveee to join this group <3

I personally don't really believe in prescribing to a single label, especially for something as fluid and diverse as sexuality but I will try to describe myself. What I know as far as sexual attraction is that I like women. A lot. And since I am one myself and I don't find men sexually attractive, that makes me homosexual I guess. I am however romantically attracted to men though, which I somewhat accredit to society and the whole Disney "prince charming" scenario. My relationship with men still seem to seem a lot smoother than those with women though, so I am still unsure of a lot of things.
I agree. As someone who is pretty blurry in both sexuality and gender, I definitely don't like to put labels on anything. As a matter of fact, I try to stick with the broader descriptors when trying to explain myself to others, so they don't put me into some tiny box and then get upset when my behavior is too broad for that box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
Could not agree more, haha XD Especially when you get into some of the more complex sexualities, like SylphyStarr, where sexual attraction and romantic attraction don't necessarily match up.

Personally, I've always felt like such labels are really only useful when you aren't currently in a relationship, if only to let other people know in a succinct way who you might potentially be interested in, or not interested in. Once you're in a relationship, it's not so important anymore, in my opinion (though I don't think there's anything wrong with continuing to label oneself while in a relationship, as it can be important both to one's sense of identity, and to dispelling misconceptions about those labels, e.g., when a bi person finds a partner, and so many people who don't seem to understand what bi means then assume they have "chosen a team" and are now gay or straight).
Labels are unfortunately a necessity of our language, since most of the time either we or the receiver of our message lacks the time, the will or the patience to partake in a detailed description. Sometimes even our chosen language of conveyance lacks detailed enough descriptors to accurately and succinctly convey exactly what we mean. Other times the receiver has a non-standard or incorrect interpretation of your message, a different meaning assigned to the descriptors being chosen or has some sort of bias towards interpreting your message in an undesirable way. Sometimes they just don't understand the meaning of your descriptors and make an erroneous extrapolation based on what they do know.

It gets even more slippery when you fall under the broader spectrum terms, and there's a wider margin for error to exist in interpreting your message. Sometimes we even make the mistake of overgeneralizing for brevity, and this leaves questions unanswered to be filled by speculation which may not be a positive thing.

While those of us in this group have our own jargon of classification, it has not yet quite reached maturity nor has it reached the mainstream.

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old April 19th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino
I believe the question pertains only to natural body odour(s), not manufactured fragrances to which we are not genetically predisposed to react
Then that makes no sense to me. I had no idea that there was any difference whatsoever between the natural scent of a man or a woman lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somniac
Its just my opinion, naturally but personally I think anyone is welcome to join this thread even if they consider themselves entirely heterosexual.
That's not opinion, that's just simple fact lol - anybody at all is welcome to join the club, it's in the section rules and it would also kind of go against the whole message of unity we're trying to send if we rejected people from the club for being straight

Also welcome to Ledgetheorc, SylphyStarr and Inkblots!

As for Fenrir, I say screw legality. If you're lucky enough to get yourself a hot older guy then you go for it, we should all be so lucky. My friend Alyshia was dating a guy in high school when she was 16 and he was 21. Six years later and they're still together.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:01 PM
FenrirDarkWolf
Water Musician Fenrir

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
As for Fenrir, I say screw legality. If you're lucky enough to get yourself a hot older guy then you go for it, we should all be so lucky. My friend Alyshia was dating a guy in high school when she was 16 and he was 21. Six years later and they're still together.
Ahh...
Wow.
I still hate how he lives so far away, and he no way to get here...
And, even if he did, where would he live anyway..
Theses are the problems...

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296631 -My Art Den
On AAO
On DeviantArt
On FurAffinity
Old April 19th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Ledgetheorc
Pokemon Researcher

Nature: Docile
I cannot condone any form of long distance, yes I do believe it has the potential to work, but that chance seems pretty slim (especially from my own experience). There's nothing like meeting someone IRL for the first time without knowing much about them. As for the older bit, as I'm 23, and my mate is 32, best experience of my life. :D Even if I was sperm when he was 9.
Old April 19th, 2013, 06:32 PM
FenrirDarkWolf
Water Musician Fenrir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgetheorc View Post
I cannot condone any form of long distance, yes I do believe it has the potential to work, but that chance seems pretty slim (especially from my own experience). There's nothing like meeting someone IRL for the first time without knowing much about them. As for the older bit, as I'm 23, and my mate is 32, best experience of my life. :D Even if I was sperm when he was 9.
Damn it! I know it will work! I will make it work, I'll make it....
I know we'll make it work...
I know it.

On AAO
On DeviantArt
On FurAffinity
Old April 19th, 2013, 06:40 PM
SylphyStarr
SylpyStar

Send a message via Skype™ to SylphyStarr
It really can work! My longest and deepest relationship was with someone I meet through mutual friends on facebook. He lived in New Jersey and I am from Wisconsin. We were together for over a year and he visited here twice and I went out there once. It was a really great experience and I am still close with him. Our breakup was not because of the distance at all and he is even planning to come visit again soon sometime.

All that being said, it definately isn't easy as a more traditional relationship, but it can be a good fit fit for certain people. I can see why some people look down on long-distance relationships as being wrong or silly but I think that denying someone that you truly connect with the chance to be with you just because of location is even worse.
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:08 PM
FenrirDarkWolf
Water Musician Fenrir

What I hate the most is that he would have nowhere to go when he gets down here...
I would love for him to stay here with me, but, I don't think they'll want their son's boyfriend living with him yet...

The reason I like long-distance relationships better is because, I can fall in love with the personality of the person first, and not the look of them...
And we really just fit and complete each other. We balance each other out, his more controlled emotions keep my rather random emotions in check. Hell, he's a Taurus, and I'm a Cancer, and these two are supposed to be good together, after all...

On AAO
On DeviantArt
On FurAffinity
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrirDarkWolf View Post
The reason I like long-distance relationships better is because, I can fall in love with the personality of the person first, and not the look of them...
And we really just fit and complete each other. We balance each other out, his more controlled emotions keep my rather random emotions in check. Hell, he's a Taurus, and I'm a Cancer, and these two are supposed to be good together, after all...
You don't have to be so ultra-pure - what we non-long-distance relationship people are skanks now, aren't we >.> XD It's not too difficult to have self-control, even if you're a horndog like me. And there's a lot more you can get from being in intimate contact. Like body-language - you know how they say 90% of communication is body language You get to notice little things that kind of flesh out the whole experience, I guess. And going out and doing stuff. Being in intimate contact doesn't mean you have to be making out all the time, it doesn't even mean you have to be talking all the time. I've been in an effectively long-distance relationship because we both have exams and are as busy as hell right now.

Astrology is a bunch of BS, imo. I checked out my matching, and it said we wouldn't work out! And then I saw another website and it said the matching would be successful... so I guess we could be best partners, worst enemies and everything in the middle? smh.
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:48 PM
FenrirDarkWolf
Water Musician Fenrir

There are reasons I want him with me...
And it's not for the good stuff, it is for fluffy stuff too...
Or maybe I'm just crazy, crazy in love perhaps...

On AAO
On DeviantArt
On FurAffinity
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

What's the diff between good and fluffy stuff?
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:57 PM
FenrirDarkWolf
Water Musician Fenrir

Quote:
What's the diff between good and fluffy stuff?
Good=Sexy.
Fluffy=Cuddling in bed asleep.

On AAO
On DeviantArt
On FurAffinity
Old April 20th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Well. That could not have gone any worse.

Stuff happened with what I posted a few pages back. And. Yeah. I need a corner.
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Ledgetheorc
Pokemon Researcher

_Dramatic Drumroll.- .... I feel you shouldn't associate the connotation of good with sexy. I mean, seperately they are great, though don't make them mutually exclusive. As negative as I sound, I promise I don't mean to come off so brash.
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:12 PM
FenrirDarkWolf
Water Musician Fenrir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgetheorc View Post
_Dramatic Drumroll.- .... I feel you shouldn't associate the connotation of good with sexy. I mean, seperately they are great, though don't make them mutually exclusive. As negative as I sound, I promise I don't mean to come off so brash.
Nah, you're entirely alright.
I know what you're trying to say, it's just, they were the first thing's that came to mind, so...

On AAO
On DeviantArt
On FurAffinity
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX0990 View Post

Did something happen with your father? I think that's who you said was not the most accepting person in your family.

This is a corner you can be in if you need to get something off your chest. You know, to vent if you're angry or just feel like you're in good company.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Quote:

If you feel comfortable telling us what happened, I'm sure we'd all agree that we'll happily be a silent listener, or a vocal advisor depending on what you need.
Old April 21st, 2013, 09:54 AM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
Quote:

I agree with what the others said. If you need anything, this is a safe zone for you to come to and talk about whatever you need.
Old April 21st, 2013, 04:38 PM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylphyStarr View Post
I would love love loveee to join this group <3

I personally don't really believe in prescribing to a single label, especially for something as fluid and diverse as sexuality but I will try to describe myself. What I know as far as sexual attraction is that I like women. A lot. And since I am one myself and I don't find men sexually attractive, that makes me homosexual I guess. I am however romantically attracted to men though, which I somewhat accredit to society and the whole Disney "prince charming" scenario. My relationship with men still seem to seem a lot smoother than those with women though, so I am still unsure of a lot of things.
I really actually don't mind labels. I like them, in fact.

Why is it bad to simply call myself "lesbian"?

I don't feel the need to go and explain to everyone the specifics, and really, that is what I am. I am lesbian. I like women.

I guess it's just me but I think labels are okay unless you are recognized only as the label ("hey look at that chick!" "the gay one?" "yeah" unless its used like this or for discrimination of course).
Old April 21st, 2013, 04:50 PM
SylphyStarr
SylpyStar

Send a message via Skype™ to SylphyStarr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post

I don't feel the need to go and explain to everyone the specifics, and really, that is what I am. I am lesbian. I like women.

I guess it's just me but I think labels are okay unless you are recognized only as the label ("hey look at that chick!" "the gay one?" "yeah" unless its used like this or for discrimination of course).
If someone likes labels then that is their choice I guess. I just personally don't think they are constructive in any way and lead to people taking shortcuts when it comes to getting to know who someone and leaves too much room for stereotypes and generalizations.
Old April 21st, 2013, 06:45 PM
Inkblots

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post

I think it partly depends on how well a person actually fits into any particular label. For myself, my sexuality isn't really all that nuanced: I am very asexual, and very aromantic. I fit quite neatly into both of these labels, and am quite happy to use them to describe myself. Likewise, there are people who fit perfectly (or close enough to perfectly) into straight, gay, bi, and pan, who probably don't mind the labels either. But, there are people in between all those things that probably don't feel like any one label accurately describes the way they are, and that's when labels are not so useful any more. Like someone who is attracted to the opposite sex 99% of the time, and the same sex 1% of the time. Do they tell people they're straight, or bi? Same issue if someone is sexually attracted to one sex, but romantically attracted to another. Or sexually attracted to men and women, but romantically attracted only to men. There's also the all-too-prevelant issue of people making personality assumptions based on orientation, or not realizing that a person's orientation can change over the course of their lifetime, so I can understand people not liking labels from that perspective as well.

It can all get pretty complicated, and getting people who don't understand how nuanced and fluid sexuality can be (which seems to be most people) to accept a new label can be extremely difficult, if not impossible (I have run across a few people who just flat out refuse to use the term asexual or pansexual because they are "ridiculous" orientations that "don't really exist" or because they think we "have too many labels as it is")
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
LaVida

Anyone should use labels if they like to. I agree with SylphyStarr on this one.

I feel that sexuality is very fluid (at least for me, it is), so when I label myself, I get a feeling that I somewhat limit myself. For the sake of explaining myself to others, though, I identify as bisexual and I'm comfortable with that most of the time.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:16 AM
FenrirDarkWolf
Water Musician Fenrir

Labels are complicated...
Anyway, the school put me on a leave for 2 days, and then, they'll have me see a therapist to "evaluate my mind." (Full Story here. My boyfriend also posted on there.)

Pros: I can talk to my mate all day.
Cons: I might be deemed crazy.

On AAO
On DeviantArt
On FurAffinity
Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:09 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

What did you actually do?
Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:14 PM
Gyardosamped
entering snake habitat
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to Gyardosamped
Quote:
What did you actually do?
I want to know this, too.

I clicked the link and read what you wrote, but I'm confused as to what specifically happened. O:

Sponsored Links