< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > Fan Clubs & Groups The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old November 13th, 2013 (9:18 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Welcome baack! I remember you.

Relevant Advertising!

Old November 14th, 2013 (12:02 AM). Edited November 14th, 2013 by KittenKoder.
I Am No One Else

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
And let's all welcome Hawaii as it becomes the next state in the US to allow same-sex marriage. Now you can have your marriage and honeymoon in the same place.
I figured Hawaii would be doing this soon, surprised it took so long, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
Yoooooo I'm baaaaaack!

Welcome to all the new members And hi again to everybody else, it's been a while! Did I miss anything exciting?

And I know it was a couple days ago, but did everybody see that Bangladesh is now considering Hijras to be a third gender? How awesome is that!

http://www.dhakatribune.com/banglade...eparate-gender

I'm hoping there will be more countries following suit, and at the very least giving a "both/neither" option when it comes to gender.
That's a big step for them. I read a bit about that culture and for a long time those poor people were always considered outcasts, and they don't actually choose to become like that most of the time.
If you add me, please message me so I can reciprocate. No, garbage does not make a cute Pokemon, and it smells funny.

Join me on IRC, synirc.net #PokemonTactics, for friendly discussions on tactics and strategies.
Old November 14th, 2013 (3:47 AM).
Emile Hersch turned 30 today. Who the hell is Emile Hersch?
Platinum Tier

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
And let's all welcome Hawaii as it becomes the next state in the US to allow same-sex marriage. Now you can have your marriage and honeymoon in the same place.
Ah Scarfy, I don't think many appreciate your subtle humour as much as they should. You are intensely underrated.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old November 14th, 2013 (4:50 AM).

Nature: Bold
Sign me up as an ally!

Whilst I am heterosexual I am involved with the LGBTIQA (I feel like the more letters the more bureacratically and actually progressive the term is... lol!) organisation in my school and community. I have a number of friends who fall within a variety of the spectrum and while that doesn't by any means make me an expert on the matter it means I have exposure to this being the paradigm of normality in my life. Glad to see even PC has something like this going!

Also - maybe this will change nobody's life/course of action but if ever you feel that you are struggling with a burden, either related to sexuality or ANYTHING at all, PM me I am here for you because you are never alone. Also, RL sometimes sucks and virtual friends are a good outlet!
Love Life, Love Pokemon, Am Australian

Some of my favourite things include: making people laugh, playing pokemon, having fun!

I have recently discovered ROM hacks... an absolutely incredible idea from the heart of the best community in the world (the pokemon community!)!

Spread the pokéLove! Peace, mates!
Old November 14th, 2013 (4:59 AM).
Platinum Tier

Consider yourself signed up! It's great to see someone so enthusiastic

I do have to disagree with you on the acronym though haha, I feel like the longer it is the more likely people are to get sick of hearing about it, and by extension, us

Old November 14th, 2013 (9:45 AM).
Silver Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
I do have to disagree with you on the acronym though haha, I feel like the longer it is the more likely people are to get sick of hearing about it, and by extension, us :P
Hence the name of this club. What a great name that is, by the way. Wonder which genius came up with it? ;D hint it was me

I think there are a lot of people who are already okay with anything gay, straight, or otherwise and might be annoyed that there is still all this gay stuff and gay talk going on. Not because they're against it, but because it doesn't make sense for people to keep fighting against it.
タコゾネス
The Galigo Region * Avatar
Old November 14th, 2013 (10:48 AM). Edited November 14th, 2013 by Inkblots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenKoder View Post

That's a big step for them. I read a bit about that culture and for a long time those poor people were always considered outcasts, and they don't actually choose to become like that most of the time.
Yeah, I spent a lot of time in one of my anthropology classes learning about the Hijras (it was a class on gender inequality (for both men and women) throughout the world. It was a very interesting class), so I was really excited to see that news.

Quote:

I do have to disagree with you on the acronym though haha, I feel like the longer it is the more likely people are to get sick of hearing about it, and by extension, us
Gotta agree with you there. I got sick of trying to remember which form of the initialism was most current/correct, and it's just so damn long (and is only going to get longer and more intimidating for newcomers, I'm sure). I've started using GSRM instead, for Gender, Sexual, and Romantic Minorities. Less specific, but more inclusive, and covers any new terms that may come up in the future.
Old November 14th, 2013 (2:58 PM).

Nature: Bold
GSRM, definitely keeping that one up the sleeve!

So does this club have a topic of the day/external page? Or is it all contained here within the 171 pages hahaha

All the same, loving it!
Love Life, Love Pokemon, Am Australian

Some of my favourite things include: making people laugh, playing pokemon, having fun!

I have recently discovered ROM hacks... an absolutely incredible idea from the heart of the best community in the world (the pokemon community!)!

Spread the pokéLove! Peace, mates!
Old November 15th, 2013 (1:01 AM).
Platinum Tier

There's no topic of the day - toward the beginning we were more controlled and had specific topics to talk about, but now that we've been established for quite a while we function more like a daily chit chat thread centering around gender/sexuality issues.

Old November 16th, 2013 (1:38 PM).
Uh, I didn't do it
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave
Try this acronym, QUILTBAG.

It stands for Queer/Questioning, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Transgender/Transsexual, Bisexual, Allied/Asexual, Gay/Genderqueer.
Old November 16th, 2013 (2:20 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

With all these initialisms, it seems that we're more concerned in spelling out our differences than talking about what brings us together.
Old November 16th, 2013 (11:34 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
With all these initialisms, it seems that we're more concerned in spelling out our differences than talking about what brings us together.
I can see your point there, but I do believe that distinction is an important thing. Sadly the issues don't always coincide and for that point (and more that I'm too lazy to type up) do I feel that the distinction is important. But, we still shouldn't let that distinction keep us from just being people who love people =3

QUILTBAG makes me laugh on the inside though. The name just seems ridiculous (not necessarily in a bad way) to me.

Man it's been forever since actually made a post. I started college last year and I actually got more involved with the general community since I happen to live in one of the more friendly cities. I learned a lot so it'd be nice to see if I can post here and there now.
Old November 17th, 2013 (8:32 AM).
we are maverick
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Yes.

Thank you.

I hate all of the labels, personally.

Though, it does help us find like-minded people, but in the end I'm sort of annoyed by all of the labels, and acronyms.

tumblr
LINE: kanoshuuya
twitter
previously: Drew
paired to Karnavaly
Old November 17th, 2013 (9:06 AM).

For some people, labels are essential for explaining themselves to others. Personally, I prefer to not use labels. I see so many people get frustrated over labels and try desperately to fit in somewhere. I'd say, take it as it comes and don't force yourself to put a label on yourself. But to each their own, I guess.
Pokémon Fan since the beginning.
Old November 17th, 2013 (9:06 AM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

Quote:
I don't mean it with any sense of hyperbole - in fact I mean it in the most reserved way I can. It's not like we literally shut each other out with every letter we add on. It's a symbolic interpretation of this whole initialism phenomenon. That some of us, it seems, don't fully endorse.
Old November 18th, 2013 (5:23 AM).
Platinum Tier

Honestly though, my objection to the whole thing comes from a mainly grammatical standpoint. We can talk about labels and their importance or lack thereof endlessly (and if you look at the last 171 pages, we have) but I'm more concerned with the laziness it entails. One minute we're saying "LGBT" instead of "sexuality and gender minorities" and the next minute it's "OMG" and "SMH".

One day, we're just going to talk in acronyms. Human speech will deteriorate into an endless string of letters. There will be no more words. There will be no need.

Old November 18th, 2013 (5:57 AM).
Fursuiter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotah
There are some who would say you could blame the military for all the acronyms. After all, they are the ones who pretty much normalized acronyms. There is a funny scene in the movie "Renaissance Man" that illustrates this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aeNmupIYQk

(sorry about the youtube link, the video will not load otherwise for some reason)
DAKOTAH
Personal Website
YouTube Channel

1693-4093-6753
Normal Safari
Lillipup / Audino / Ditto

"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old November 18th, 2013 (12:56 PM).
Silver Tier

I wonder if it's best to have differences or not. Like, you wouldn't (probably) say we should always highlight the sameness of white people and black people. If we only think about how the same non-straight people are with heteronormative people then that can kind of start to erase the presence or culture of the LGBT&c. community. Of course, it's not a community that's existed in the same way as, say, Chinese culture or whatever, but some people do feel it's a culture with its own music, literature, and other things that cultures have and should be okay to highlight differences.

Quote:
One day, we're just going to talk in acronyms. Human speech will deteriorate into an endless string of letters. There will be no more words. There will be no need.
No, we'll give up letters entirely for animated gifs of cats.
タコゾネス
Old November 22nd, 2013 (6:55 PM).
Uh, I didn't do it
Crystal Tier

I think I am in love.

I've never felt like this. I mean, just. Wow.

I met a woman online. She's beautiful, and an amazing person. We haven't even met yet, but we've been attached to each other's hips. I think I've burned all my minutes talking to her, and thank you world for unlimited texting.

How can I feel like this for someone I've never met?
Old November 22nd, 2013 (7:33 PM).
☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Silver Tier

For the above discussion on labels,
I think people can have labels, but it varies from person to person.
Personaly I call it LGBT, due to the worldly understanding of the acronym, and from there people can ethier know or not know of the other specifications of the whole rainbow one could say.
Labels are a good and bad thing. Use them in moderation and put thought into the situation you use then in.
Hi, this signature is a work in progress.
Old November 23rd, 2013 (8:41 AM).
Silver Tier

Has anyone heard about the case where a couple - one of whom is transgender - who had their two children by in vitro fertilization taken away by the parents of the kids' mother? I'm trying to track down an article to make sure this is real news. I'd love it if it hadn't actually happened, but I'd hate to think it was made up because that'll cause backlash.

So far I've found this.

If this is real it's horrible.
タコゾネス
Old November 25th, 2013 (9:18 AM).

Quote:
Has anyone heard about the case where a couple - one of whom is transgender - who had their two children by in vitro fertilization taken away by the parents of the kids' mother? I'm trying to track down an article to make sure this is real news. I'd love it if it hadn't actually happened, but I'd hate to think it was made up because that'll cause backlash.

So far I've found this.

If this is real it's horrible.
Seriously? That is disgusting. If the children aren't being abused or neglected in any way, what the hell does it matter what gender their parents are?
Old November 25th, 2013 (9:33 AM).
Fursuiter

Sadly, for some it matters a whole lot. There are some very archaic views on sexuality, and a belief that anyone not considered "normal" should not be around children.

BTW. Nice to meet another Canadian. It seems like we're everywhere.
DAKOTAH
Personal Website
YouTube Channel

1693-4093-6753
Normal Safari

"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old November 29th, 2013 (6:11 AM).
Probably sleeping.
Gold Tier

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karinmo View Post
For the above discussion on labels,
I think people can have labels, but it varies from person to person.
Personaly I call it LGBT, due to the worldly understanding of the acronym, and from there people can ethier know or not know of the other specifications of the whole rainbow one could say.
Labels are a good and bad thing. Use them in moderation and put thought into the situation you use then in.
I say LGBT because I enjoy calling people Leggbutts.

Did everyone see that news story about the gay waitress who claimed the customers didn't leave a tip, and instead left an anti-gay message?

Turn out she was a lying cow. They tipped 18bucks, and she printed a new receipt! That's seriously low.

In my country we don't even tip [apart from exceptional circumstances for instance], it's a stupid idea in itself and is a product of having a lower [none at all?] minimum wage in america.
Old November 29th, 2013 (6:24 AM).
Fursuiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somniac View Post
I say LGBT because I enjoy calling people Leggbutts.

Did everyone see that news story about the gay waitress who claimed the customers didn't leave a tip, and instead left an anti-gay message?

Turn out she was a lying cow. They tipped 18bucks, and she printed a new receipt! That's seriously low.

In my country we don't even tip [apart from exceptional circumstances for instance], it's a stupid idea in itself and is a product of having a lower [none at all?] minimum wage in america.
I agree that the waitress in question did demonstrate questionable judgement, but I also regard it as equally questionable judgement when someone issues such derogatory insults as you did. I don't condone either actions. Both are not very civilized behaviours.

As for the issue of tipping, wait staff and servers generally make less per hour in wages due to the fact that they receive tips, while those who do not receive tips for their work (and are generally discouraged by management from accepting any type of reward or incentive from clients or customers) receive a higher wage to compensate. It is an attempt to balance things out so that both types of workers don't feel the other is getting preferential treatment. And this is true in Canada as well.

Also, while it may be true that the people where you live do not generally tip, no place is devoid of people from other regions, and those people may in fact (and probably do) tip. So in that case, unless all tips are pooled among the staff, because there is no difference in minimum wages, wait staff and servers have a clear advantage over workers who work as cooks, or dishwashers, or any other job where there is no direct contact with a customer or client.
DAKOTAH
Personal Website
YouTube Channel

1693-4093-6753
Normal Safari

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links