Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 6th, 2011 (08:27 PM).
Hiidoran
used Bone Club...?
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Shining Raichu:
How would you feel if homosexuality were to be somehow included in Pokemon - be it in the games, the anime, the manga or any other format. Do you think it's appropriate for a franchise aimed at children?
I think it's completely appropriate!

Honestly, I don't think it's too far off. Maybe not in Pokémon, but certainly somewhere in a childrens' franchise. Society is slowly, slowly accepting homosexuality as normality. It's only natural to begin teaching this at an early age. Someone just needs to step up and be the pioneer in this territory.

/in before Sesame Street
Old October 6th, 2011 (09:25 PM).
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

If people were making such a fuss that Jynx was supposedly racist, I don't think homosexuality in Pokemon games would go over too well with people. Sad, but people will always find something to complain about.
Old October 6th, 2011 (09:31 PM). Edited October 6th, 2011 by Harley Quinn.
Harley Quinn
Community Supporter

As much as I'd welcome homosexuality in the Pokémon games, there'd be much protest about the inclusion of homosexuals (it'd be funny to hear Michele Bachmann go on a rant about POKAYMON) and it would most likely never be included.
Old October 6th, 2011 (10:01 PM).
ohHeyVaporeon.
You just can't shake me.

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ohHeyVaporeon. Send a message via Yahoo to ohHeyVaporeon. Send a message via Skype™ to ohHeyVaporeon.
I feel like it would be completely appropriate.

As someone has already said, I feel like it is best to get children used to it while they are young (although controversial) will make it easier for them to understand when they grow up.
Old October 7th, 2011 (12:53 AM).
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
On second thoughts, I'm starting it think it could be inappropriate. Not because of the theme itself, but just because there's never really been any kind of important romances in the show. They could certainly bring in a homosexual couple as two characters in a random episode as trainers or something, but the show has never focused on the main characters having relationships before, so why should it now?
Old October 7th, 2011 (12:59 AM).
Lie Ren
we can breathe in life
Community Supporter

^ I'm gonna agree with that. It'd be okay for other anime series, but Pokemon cares nothing for romance besides Misty crushing on Ash in the dub, and Drew handing May a rose once or twice. I guess there could be subtle hints like such between two guys or two girls, but aside from that it would be out of a place. Granted, there has been noticeably gay characters, like Harley for one, but eh.

"Rest in peace, Monty, you glorious bastard.
You were fucking awesome
."
- fan comment, YT

slateport cityanimu tumblrpair
Currently playing entirely too much ORAS.
[ previously Drew ]
Old October 7th, 2011 (01:24 AM).
johnny18
Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
[Welcome to johnny18! It's never too late to join - Thanks

How would you feel if homosexuality were to be somehow included in Pokemon - be it in the games, the anime, the manga or any other format. Do you think it's appropriate for a franchise aimed at children?
I think it would be appropriate because it can give the our new generation a new look about homosexuality and make it more likely to be accepted in all over the world as a natural thing. If it is about pokemon, I think it does not matter as pokemon is just about adventures and challenges and bond of friendships rather than a relationship between two people.
Old October 7th, 2011 (07:02 AM).
Ineffable~
DAT SNARKITUDE

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Drew:
Granted, there has been noticeably gay characters, like Harley for one, but eh.
Don't forget Dome Ace Tucker.
Old October 7th, 2011 (07:05 AM).
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Ineffable~:

Don't forget Dome Ace Tucker.
Haha oh Gosh, how could I forget that character! Ohhh that brings back memories.
Old October 7th, 2011 (07:16 AM).
Ineffable~
DAT SNARKITUDE

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by AlexOzzyCake:

Haha oh Gosh, how could I forget that character! Ohhh that brings back memories.
xD
SERIOUSLY THOUGH. He was so tough in battle.
I've never beat him. ;-;

Anyway, on topic:

About the issue of including homosexuality in Pokémon, I'm really kind of bothered by the general lack of representation of gender/sexuality-non-conforming in cartoons, so I rather like the idea. Actually, I think I've heard talk of same-sex pairings in Pokémon that are oddly canon (according to the people who talk about them). Doesn't May have a friend that looks like a lesbian or something? :P
Old October 7th, 2011 (07:20 AM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I think the most that could be hoped for is once or twice they threw in some more double battles in the games with two males or two females. I think all they have right now is this.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old October 7th, 2011 (09:38 AM).
Esper

I think it’s as appropriate as any kind of relationship/sexuality topic would be in the games, or, in other words, not very appropriate. It’s really not the focus of the games at all. (Or the anime from what I gather.)

That said, I wouldn’t be opposed to it if it were included, but I'd hope it would be something done well and not some token inclusion.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 7th, 2011 (10:31 AM).
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
I draw your attention to this thread Scarf. Nothing blatant though.

Old October 8th, 2011 (06:38 PM).
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody

It would be acceptable to present a happily married same-sex couple as someone they encounter along their journey in the Anime/Manga for sure, so long as they did it tastefully.

I don't think it would float as well in the game because of it's 'E' rating from the ESRB, and would definitely make E10+ in the US if they did that. No idea how much the homophobes would complain and cry about it, but there would be some 'baww'-ing from that general direction.

tl;dr: Anime/Manga is a good place to do it, just not the game...because younger children DO play the game and parents can be quite overprotective, especially if they're phobic.
+
Old October 8th, 2011 (07:45 PM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
Wow. Is this some small progress I see?

Presbyterian Church ordains its first openly gay minister.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old October 8th, 2011 (08:01 PM).
Lie Ren
we can breathe in life
Community Supporter

holydang. Yeeeesss.

That makes me happy. xD

This might've already happened in some places before and just got no media notice, but if not and this is totally a first then this is awesome.
Well okay, it's awesome either way. It's nice to see some progress.

You were fucking awesome
."
- fan comment, YT

[ previously Drew ]
Old October 8th, 2011 (08:03 PM).
-Jared-
Certified Responsible Adult
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle

That is awesome! And, I don't know if I have said this here before, but more good news (from a while ago, but still) is that the ELCA, or Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, voted about a year and a half ago I think, to allow openly gay people to become pastors. ^__^ It's had an impact on the church, but I certainly was happy about that!
Old October 8th, 2011 (08:45 PM).
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Nature: Naughty
Okay, so... I guess I just need advice/venting.

Anyway I have been feeling like crap the past couple of months because my ex, who I have lived with for 2 years, was cheating on me. So now I don't really trust anyone, and will not for a long time. So, there are few gay guys, none of which I am interested, that live in town. So...I just go to the internet for dating, might I mind you my two ex's had both been cheating on me and both I "met" online. Should I just wait until I am done with school to date, after I move to a larger city?

I guess I just really miss him, I don't know how else to put it. I did everything for him, and he just tossed me aside I guess. Like literally a week before he went down state and slept with this guy, and apparently fell in love with him, he grabbed me by the head and looked me dead in the eyes and said a bunch of bs, "I love you. How did I get so lucky? I want to let you know that I would never hurt you or leave you, you have changed my life so much." I just feel like, no one is to be trusted, I am starting to hate being gay, not because of the way strangers treat/perceive me, but rather, how every guy wants to be in an open relationship. I just do not know what else I can do right. I mean, I pay bills, go to school, I am cute (so I have been told time and again not to be vainglorious, lmao), I am honest, I do everything for the other person, and I always do as they ask. Apparently, he was only sexually attracted to me, that is all. then he smiled, and started had some little 15 year old next him (he is 23) and started to just have a blast. And yeah, I don't get it. I felt like my entire life was just completely destroyed at the time, and he was just so ecstatic. Okay, my ranting is over, it probably doesn't make sense. I just think that maybe I am becoming too obsessed with being interdependent on someone else. It all just makes me soo angry that he was using me and now he is having a blast hooking up with everyone, while I am devasted, and I don't know how to just get on with life. Btw...he did give me an engagement ring, but...who knows. (he pawned it)
Okay, for cereal, I am done, lol.

Don't be a rotten apple!
Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
!

Old October 9th, 2011 (01:28 AM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
Wow, I'm so sorry Ty.

The advice I would give is that you should just take a break from dating. Honestly, at your age you are a little young to be expecting guys to want to be confined in a real relationship. The guys you've had are clearly not great and the fact that they were leading you on while seeing other guys is deplorable, but in the end you might just have to take a breather and make sure that you are happy within yourself before bringing somebody else into the mix.

If you think you're too obsessed with being in a relationship, then chances are that that's true. If you get into a relationship and it doesn't work out and you don't know how to be happy alone, then you really have nothing.

But again, I'm so sorry that you've had to go through that. Though it's important to realise that just because the guys in your experience have been that way, it doesn't mean everybody will be. You're far too young to be jaded.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old October 9th, 2011 (02:12 PM).
Esper

First gay minister? I'd rather that gay people wouldn't feel like they needed a church's acceptance, but in practical terms it's going to help those people who do need that acceptance because they care about religion so it's probably a good thing.

And ty, you should not be dating at the moment. It's not good to jump into a relationship right after having one end and it'll give you a chance to become more independent.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 9th, 2011 (02:17 PM).
Lie Ren
we can breathe in life
Community Supporter

I agree with Scarf.. :c If it's too soon after then its also possible that'd its just a rebound relationship.
Breakups are always hard, though. x_o

You were fucking awesome
."
- fan comment, YT

[ previously Drew ]
Old October 9th, 2011 (05:29 PM).
Hiidoran
used Bone Club...?
Community Supporter

Oh, Ty, I hear you. ]:

I can deal with the external hatred, but I get torn apart by how promiscuous the gay community is. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty new to the whole thing. I've been shown the ropes, and while I was at first sooooo surprised at the availability of seemingly great guys out there, I was shocked just how hard it is to find a monogamous relationship when you're gay. Everyone just wants to use you for one thing, it seems. Everything is about lust and it's rarely about love - though that word is thrown around a lot. I'd like to think I've found someone who is willing to actually just keep it exclusive, but, I still find myself casting doubt sometimes. I know of his past, he could easily get another guy on the side and I'd really never know.

Point is... although I'm sure I didn't help much we just gotta keep our heads up. There are good guys out there. Decent, loving, good-looking guys. I know how you're feeling, but chin-up... and maybe just focus on you for a while.
Old October 10th, 2011 (01:47 PM).
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
My friends, please take a moment to report this Facebook page for hate speech. Thank you. It says things about gays that I would rather not repeat.
Old October 10th, 2011 (01:55 PM).
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by deoxys121:
My friends, please take a moment to report this Facebook page for hate speech. Thank you. It says things about gays that I would rather not repeat.
Oh man, that's absolutely sick...
Old October 10th, 2011 (04:25 PM).
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Here's a positive little hate comeback I found on Failblog.
Pokemon Ruby Destiny Broken Timeline - Mapping assigned maps, slow pace at the moment.
Pokemon Cursed/Creepy White - Group project, on hiatus for now with plans to return eventually.

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links