The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:14 AM
-Jared-
Certified Responsible Adult
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiran777 View Post
Have you guys seen this commercial?

It's an atrocity! I made sure to dislike it and report it for hateful speech. ;--;
Welp. If I wasn't ashamed to be a Christian already, this video sure is enough to do so now. -__-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post

A school shouldn't support a religion at all. A school's purpose is to educate, not indoctrinate. Religious guidance is up to a child's parents and their church, it has no place in a school whatsoever. As -ty- said, if you're so hell-bent on your child receiving religious guidance at school, then they have special religious schools that operate privately.
That is EXACTLY how I feel. If a student wants to pray or something, there are no rules telling them not to, so there is no need for there to be any special allowances for religion. School is there to teach Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic, (and obviously much, much more. xD) so there is no need to have a school "assign" a religion to itself.

And those parodies are funny. xDDD
Old December 9th, 2011, 02:25 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Saying "Happy Christmas" is hardly religious indoctrination. -__-
Old December 9th, 2011, 03:11 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
Are you referring to the Perry ad? He said that kids can't pray in school and that kids can't openly celebrate Christmas; Neither one of these statements is valid.

Don't be a rotten apple!
Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
!

Old December 9th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
lmao at those parodies. The first one was awesome. I just hope Rick Perry sees them lol.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:23 PM
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
Apparently, that Rick Perry ad, percentage-wise, is now the most disliked video on all of YouTube. What an achievement, Rick Perry. Yay! *clapclapclapclap* (yes, that's sarcasm)
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:39 PM
G.U.Y.
Bubblegum Betch
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by -ty- View Post
Are you referring to the Perry ad? He said that kids can't pray in school and that kids can't openly celebrate Christmas; Neither one of these statements is valid.
Exactly this. Schools just can't force anyone to pray or celebrate Christmas. Individuals are allowed to do anything religious they want to in school as long as it's in compliance with school rules.
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Ineffable~
DAT SNARKITUDE

Quote:
I don't think that's really what [whoever said that] was referring to, but yeah I agree that we should encourage the open celebration of all holidays. I think if there's a group of people who is determined to set up a giant Christmas tree in the middle of the town square (or you know wherever one puts a tree), they should be allowed to. Then, if someone wants to construct a humongous dreidel and put that right next to the tree, that's okay too.
I just wish people weren't so against mixing cultures. It makes for such interesting and beautiful things.

EDIT: Derp, this is not what I call on-topic.

Random thing: Those videos are awesome. I especially like Rick Perry's coming out video. So proud. <3

Random thing2: Love the new name! :D

#077: Ponyta - The Fire Horse Pokémon
Fire ~ Field eggs
3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

Its hooves are 10 times harder
than diamonds. It can trample
anything completely flat in moments.

Abilities: Run Away or Flash Fire or Flame Body
Moves: Growl, Flame Wheel, Stomp, Agility
Locations: Pokémon Mansion

Cry

Other names:

jp: ポニータ (Ponyta)
de: Ponita
fr: Ponyta
cn: 小火馬 (Xiǎohuǒmǎ)

Last edited by Ineffable~; December 9th, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old December 10th, 2011, 05:15 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

lmao, I just read that the music in the Perry ad was composed by Aaron Copland; some of you may know that Aaron Copland was openly gay. I love the irony. Gay people better stop getting married and fighting wars so that they can compose my campaign music!

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Old December 10th, 2011, 05:44 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
lmao, I just read that the music in the Perry ad was composed by Aaron Copland; some of you may know that Aaron Copland was openly gay. I love the irony. Gay people better stop getting married and fighting wars so that they can compose my campaign music!
I'm thinking maybe he didn't mean it like that and just had poor choice of words. I think the message he's trying to get across is hypocrisy of liberals banning one freedom while expanding another.

Last edited by FreakyLocz14; December 10th, 2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old December 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe he didn't mean it like that and just had poor choice of words. I think the message he's trying get across is hypocrisy of liberals banning one freedom while expanding another.
But what specific religious activities are being banned?

And why is it always "the liberals" or "the left", there is hypocrisy in all areas of political ideologies.

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Old December 10th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Ineffable~
DAT SNARKITUDE

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe he didn't mean it like that and just had poor choice of words. I think the message he's trying get across is hypocrisy of liberals banning one freedom while expanding another.
In that case, why would he mention specifically that, of all things?

Quote:
And why is it always "the liberals" or "the left", there is hypocrisy in all areas of political ideologies.
This.

Fire ~ Field eggs
3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

Cry

Other names:

Old December 10th, 2011, 07:26 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
But what specific religious activities are being banned?

That's who he's attacking. He's right that children are discouraged from discussing Jesus and Christmas in schools.
Old December 10th, 2011, 07:29 PM
-Jared-
Certified Responsible Adult
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable~ View Post
In that case, why would he mention specifically that, of all things?
That's kinda what I thought. If he isn't trying to speak out against gays in the military, than he really should have thought before he made the video. :\

Also, I know we already posted a few parodies, but I found this one to be BRILLIANT. xD

Jesus Responds to Rick Perry
Old December 10th, 2011, 07:31 PM
U_Flame
Brony Hacker

Nature: Jolly
Gotta love parady videos. I love the second one's message!

Times I've been ninja'd: 16
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old December 10th, 2011, 08:45 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

News: Prop 8 proponents likely to succeed in keeping cameras out of the courtroom, unsure on issue of Judge Walker's failure to recuse himself.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAVL1MA76L.DTL

This in my 3,000th post!
Everyone in OC: It's fun debating with you guys.
Everyone here is great, too.
I'll be sure to go back to S&M soon.
Old December 10th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
That whole thing is ridiculous. Judge Walker heard both sides of the case and made an informed decision and gave incredibly detailed reasoning behind his ruling. That reason was basically that the case against gay marriage was paper-thin while the case for gay marriage had several expert and lay witnesses who actually delivered their case strongly. I read a leaked court transcript to that effect shortly after the decision was first made.

The attorneys for Prop 8 just can't accept the fact that they messed up and couldn't find any legitimate constitutional reasons why gay people shouldn't be able to get married.

It is in the job description of a judge that he or she be completely impartial. If he had felt he was unable to do so, he would have recused himself. As it happens, he did not. Hypocritically, the only way the Judge could have proven to the Prop 8 attorneys that he was indeed impartial would be to rule in their favour.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old December 10th, 2011, 10:36 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
That whole thing is ridiculous. Judge Walker heard both sides of the case and made an informed decision and gave incredibly detailed reasoning behind his ruling. That reason was basically that the case against gay marriage was paper-thin while the case for gay marriage had several expert and lay witnesses who actually delivered their case strongly. I read a leaked court transcript to that effect shortly after the decision was first made.

The attorneys for Prop 8 just can't accept the fact that they messed up and couldn't find any legitimate constitutional reasons why gay people shouldn't be able to get married.

It is in the job description of a judge that he or she be completely impartial. If he had felt he was unable to do so, he would have recused himself. As it happens, he did not. Hypocritically, the only way the Judge could have proven to the Prop 8 attorneys that he was indeed impartial would be to rule in their favour.
I'm not saying I agree with them, but I can see how someone would think it's fishy. He is in a same-sex relationship, is a resident of California, and wishes to marry his partner. It seems like he has something gain from the case.
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:10 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Quote:
That's who he's attacking. He's right that children are discouraged from discussing Jesus and Christmas in schools.
So Obama and Congress have made legislation that discourages students from discussing Jesus and Christmas? That is not right at all.

Also name on statute that prohibits speech about Jesus or Christmas in school.

He is attacking Obama for something he has not done. He is attacking "the left" for something that is not true. Now let me ask again, is there any specific federal statute or action taken by Obama that has taken the child's right to celebrate Christmas or talk about Jesus in school?

And to the other topic about the gay judge in the prop 8 case...I think that he should have recused himself so he wouldn't have had to deal with all of this; he should have known that those idiots would attack his sexuality. So now gay partners have to wait longer, when another judge would have made the same judgement as he would. But aside from that point, there is no reason why it was unlawful of him not to recuse himself. It's like saying a black judge should not be able to oversee a case involving biracial marriage, or any black civil rights; or maybe any religious rights cases should be overseen by a Christian, no wait, an atheist, no wait, both might be partial because they have religious or lack of religious beliefs therefore something to gain...yes, like Andy said, it is RIDICULOUS to have race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs as prerequisites for impartiality because the laws of the land affect everyone directly in constitutional rights cases.

Judges mainly face the decision to recuse themselves when there is a personal conflict, not a broad ideological conflict. Most of the time personal conflicts arise in criminal/civil cases when the judge is acquainted to the plaintiff(s) or defendant(s), not constitutional law.

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Last edited by -ty-; December 10th, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:13 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
So Obama and Congress have made legislation that discourages students from discussing Jesus and Christmas? That is not right at all.

Also name on statute that prohibits speech about Jesus or Christmas in school.

He is attacking Obama for something he has not done. He is attacking "the left" for something that is not true. Now let me ask again, is there any specific federal statute or action taken by Obama that has taken the child's right to celebrate Christmas or talk about Jesus in school?
He's not attacking Obama specifically. He's attacking liberals through their culture and even some court opinions that prohibit prayer in school.
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:07 AM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Quote:
He's not attacking Obama specifically. He's attacking liberals through their culture and even some court opinions that prohibit prayer in school.
Verbatim he said, "Obama's war on religion." That is a specific, although not exclusive, attack and accusation.

Courts are non-partisan, not liberal in nature. I would like you to specify some opinions that prohibit a student from praying in school so I understand where you are coming from. I don't think that there are any statutes or case laws that specify that a student is not allowed to pray in school. If it's the case that there is not any primary authority, then how is he going to make any changes to a non-existent hypocracy?

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Old December 11th, 2011, 11:15 AM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
Verbatim he said, "Obama's war on religion." That is a specific, although not exclusive, attack and accusation.

Courts are non-partisan, not liberal in nature. I would like you to specify some opinions that prohibit a student from praying in school so I understand where you are coming from. I don't think that there are any statutes or case laws that specify that a student is not allowed to pray in school. If it's the case that there is not any primary authority, then how is he going to make any changes to a non-existent hypocracy?
In Santa Fe Independent School Dist. v. Doe, the Court ruled that student-initiated prayer is not allowed. This isn't state-sponsored. The prayer is initiated by students.
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Esper

Quote:
News: Prop 8 proponents likely to succeed in keeping cameras out of the courtroom, unsure on issue of Judge Walker's failure to recuse himself.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAVL1MA76L.DTL
I wonder what their reasoning for that is. Why would they not want cameras in the court? Afraid public opinion would hear their arguments and it would hurt them?

deviantart blog pair
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:46 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Quote:
In Santa Fe Independent School Dist. v. Doe, the Court ruled that student-initiated prayer is not allowed. This isn't state-sponsored. The prayer is initiated by students.
Case Brief

"The Court held that the policy allowing the student led prayer at the football games was unconstitutional. The majority opinion, written by Justice Stevens depended on Lee v. Weisman.[2] It held that these pre-game prayers delivered "on school property, at school-sponsored events, over the school's public address system, by a speaker representing the student body, under the supervision of school faculty, and pursuant to a school policy that explicitly and implicitly encourages public prayer" are not private, but public speech. "Regardless of the listener's support for, or objection to, the message, an objective Santa Fe High School student will unquestionably perceive the inevitable pregame prayer as stamped with her school's seal of approval."

The students are allowed to pray, they just cannot use the school property to project their prayer over the loudspeaker to address the public. Students are permitted to have a prayer circle, but they are not allowed to use school resources because essentially the school would be endorsing the religious beliefs, which is unconstitutional.

So again, a student is allowed to pray in school. That right has never been taken away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I wonder what their reasoning for that is. Why would they not want cameras in the court? Afraid public opinion would hear their arguments and it would hurt them?
I know, isn't it ridiculous? Cases like the Casey Anthony Trial should have been private because it was so high profile, the public viewing caused tremendous problems! Yet cases like these that dispute civil liberties are swept under the rug.

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Last edited by -ty-; December 11th, 2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old December 12th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Ineffable~
DAT SNARKITUDE

Welcome to the club Phantom! :) Have a nice time here and STAY ACTIVE BECAUSE WE LIKE ACTIVITY <3

We were just talking about asexual bi/homoromantic people a few pages ago I think . . . soooo you came about just a bit too late! I mean, no it's never too late!

Ignore me, I need sleep.

Fire ~ Field eggs
3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

Cry

Other names:

Old December 12th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
Oh, hello there Phantom. :D

Also...

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud

Last edited by Keiran; December 12th, 2011 at 12:19 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links