Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 29th, 2011 (02:11 AM).
moments.
{quixotic}
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Calm
Thanks for the comments! I actually agree with you a fair bit Gav. Not too happy with where I ventured off in that last little bit of graphics stuff...

I said I was going to take a break cause I had no motivation / inspiration, and then I gave birth to this. :D

Old August 29th, 2011 (04:21 AM).
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
I like it (that tag you just posted), but I guess it's main problem is that the light's or whatever they are around the image take away most of the focus of the main point of the image. (which I'm assuming is that boat) Unless I'm wrong. xD

Old August 30th, 2011 (05:26 AM).
moments.
{quixotic}

Thanks for the comment! I agree on your point about taking the focus though, I'm not sure why I chose such a large canvas in the first place, but I did mean to make it a little smaller which I guess addresses a bit of that issue... But thanks!

These two are WIPs, first one not as much, but I feel I could do more, the second is a definite work in progress, have no idea where I'm going from there.

Old September 9th, 2011 (11:44 PM).
moments.
{quixotic}

Thanks for the comments guys! Dx

Just playing around trying to expand and do new stuff. First is for ToTF, second was just trying small canvases / vibrant colours and the last is for a battle here!

Old September 10th, 2011 (09:46 AM).
abnegation
the wild card

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/contrast-1.png

Your concepts are definitely becoming more interesting, in a good way. I can see you on a journey into your artistic style and values and it's definitely becoming a more suiting place for you to be. At any rate, this piece is odd, not in a sort of negative way, but trying to see what you're attempting to achieve isn't seen as clearly as I might hope. I can see what you're going for, but I think the concept doesn't shout at me, it's there, but I need to look for it, and it's not too favourable. This happens for a number of reasons, I think that your colours aren't really drawn out enough, you could have worked on making your warm colours more deep and your cool colours more cold and brighter. I think the guy on the right is more evidently in his element than the girl. It would have been better if he (and this is going to sound weird) wearing less clothing, or perhaps you could have added in some mermaid legs with use of a stock, that would have been a pretty interesting inclusion.

As for the hotter side, I do love how the hair works, I'm not sure if this is two stocks or just one, but anyway. It's a bit messy, your textures are a little too heavy and a little dirty in all honesty. Especially on the skin. What you should have been going for was a sort of "dry" feeling to contrast a bit more with the under water scene, but it actually looks a little too smooth around the edges and messy in others. To develop your concept more here, it would have been good to see you thinking more about the abandonment of a desert. I would have liked to have seen this concept brought across more in a larger piece. I think the concept is quite good, it lacks a little in execution (which is the opposite of what I'm struggling with recently haha), but if you worked on some of the things I mentioned it would have been a little better. I feel that the piece as it is would benefit from text to show the concept a bit more, to explain it, but I'd rather see it brought across in imagery.

Regardless, I love the concept, it just needs some tweaking on the execution front, a lot of your works come out looking a little over textured or dirty, so don't be afraid to tidy up sometimes.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/manhole.png

Again, nice concept. Not sure what you've done to achieve it, and I'll struggle to comment on it overall. This would work well as a photograph, but as a graphic, it falls a little short in the terms of what is possible and what is not. When doing graphics like this, it's nice to try and get something that is not possible, out of the norm. This falls a little short in the line of how different ad away from typical it looks. It's a hard point to nail down.

The composition is quite well done, but the inclusion of those water droplets stocks isn't the best, they seems so obviously like a texture, and it would have been nice if you could have blended them a little better. I think overall, it looks a little unfinished, but there's something you could add to it, just not sure what just yet, but I think you could have pushed the boat out a little further.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/gravitate.png

Noooot a fan of the focal, whatever the focal is. You've got the text issue, it's too far away from the person focal point. Nice ideas though, I like the lines, they're really, really cool. The circles look a little off though, I think they look flat or something, maybe warp them a little so they're not just planted circles. The focal point is over sharpened. But I think this is an interesting style worth developing, you just need to work on the execution of it I think. I reckon that this would have been awesome with a different focal point in that square, and the background being kept. A person, a face, something like that. Little messy again, try to tighten those nuts.

Otherwise, as I say, go for the style, just think about composition a little more and you'll get better results.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/leduel.png

Not a fan of this. I think it's one of my lesser favourited tags you've made in recent weeks. I'm not a big fan of black and white tags usually, I think they need to be really, really good to pull any sort of positive feedback. This one lacks a little depth, and you've not made the best use of your space. I think that the part on the left is kinda forced, it feels forced. And the effects around the focal point are rather low quality and again, seem a little forced. I would take this stock again and try something new, and different, with a different canvas size. It's not the best of stocks, and remember how important choosing your stock is.

To go back to the part on the left, I think that it distracts from the focal point. But overall it lacks depth and composition, two things you need in abundance when making a B/W tag.

Your stuff is hit and miss recently, but that happens, I think my work has been a lot the same. I guess we struggle to churn out good stuff all the time. But remember to take the good and bad points from your works and apply them to future ones. Your concepts have been getting better though, which is something I told you to work on way back, and that's something to be proud of.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/roxas.png - you got my comments on that one ;]
Old September 10th, 2011 (10:20 AM).
JalordaSerpent
Run, you clever boy...
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild

Like the blend and shape of the stock! The twirling effect with the stock goes with the text as well. The colors also fit together nicely, in my opinion. This is my most favorite one you've made yet!
Old September 21st, 2011 (08:59 PM).
moments.
{quixotic}

Thanks for the comments guys! so late...

Anyways, I haven't made anything for almost 2 weeks, but I'm ready to get going again, starting with this LP. For anybody wondering, Salacia is Neptune's wife in Roman mythology, so she is Queen of the Sea.

(click for original stock)

Old September 22nd, 2011 (11:52 AM).
abnegation
the wild card

This looks good from a distance, but as I get closer I see a whole world of lack in the area of clarity. The focal is absolutely smothered, and the composition is lessened, compared to the stock. I like your concept, I think you executed it well in trying to convey the sea, but, you just lumped on a bunch of effects and textures above the stock image. I can see your filters too, the plastic wrap, but I think it looks pretty forced. I could get extremely in depth about this, but it's fundamentals that have the issues. It seems to lack a sense of flow, a sense of approach; a sense of purpose. I think you should avoid overusing your textures.

Do you draw? If not, start, it'll give you an incentive as to how shading works because I don't think you work on the finer details enough. Sometimes you need to get down and dirty by zooming in, and cleaning up your image for clarity. Just not feeling this one, I know I'm being quite general, but I think you'll benefit from me setting down some pretty general comments rather than tearing the piece down bit by bit. You need to work on your pieces, pixel by pixel some times, and worry about making your focal point being clear, and not your effects. Here you've smothered your work within them, and rather than your focal and concept shining through, they're hidden under a sea of effects. Pun intended. Sorry to put it down so much dude, but try take those things in a good light and apply them to your work in future. I think me critiquing your specifics continually isn't gonna help in the long run.
Old September 30th, 2011 (03:52 AM).
moments.
{quixotic}

Effects weren't just "lumped on", no filters besides sharpen/blur and textures over stock is a legitimate style, I just didn't pull it off too well, bit rusty / not too familiar / comfortable with LPs. But thanks for the comments anyways!

Don't stab me, haven't done any graphics for a while, just easing back into it. The tag was for ToTF as a set stock theme.

Old October 4th, 2011 (08:54 AM).
derozio
April 2015 can't come soon enough
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/3Dangel.png
I like the flow and the text placement. But the fact that the tag is all magneta and lacks effects that add spice to it doesn't work out in its favor. Its like, you just picked a c4d, pasted the render over it, copied it and pasted the c4d over the render, shifted it towards the left side, copied it again, pasted a miniature version of it over the render and added text. I mean, if I look at it, I do kinda like it..but it just comes out as a lazily done tag. No offense, I know you're getting back into graphics and stuff, but I just said whatever came to my mind. It'd have been a MUCH better tag, seeing that it had a lot of potential courtesy the render, if it weren't for the lack of effects.

The icons are nice. But I felt you went overboard with reds in this one. Maybe just me:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/ariel.png
Old October 4th, 2011 (12:43 PM).
abnegation
the wild card

Well in relation to the filters, are you sure you didn't use plastic wrap? It looks a lot like you did is all.
Spoiler:

I'm liking this, mostly. I think the line clipping masks are a little strange since they're randomly placed and there's a lack of consistency in them. I think you could have done a little more blending and added a few more C4D's in here, because there's a lack of variety and I think the render could have been blended better. You also could have cleaned up the render a bit, it has got some hard white edges in places and it's odd. Just selecting the empty space around it and adding a feather radius of a couple pixels, then cutting, will make the edges be a bit more anti-aliased. The colours are pretty good, you could do with a little more contrast and depth in shadows and such, but it looks pretty decent. The blurring and quality of the tag is ace, but in general it's pretty safe. I think it's good at what it is, but it just isn't crazy adventurous or anything.

Spoiler:

Icons are much better. Liking the 3rd one a lot, colour wise. Just needs to have less whites. My monitor is a little bright but, still I can tell the whites are just a little heavy. The others are pretty standard, though watch your positioning, I think all but the 3rd and last are too center heavy. Don't be afraid to go away from the center. The last is good, needs a little more sharpening, especially on the edges. The background is fine, could do with more cyan. But as I say, much better from you in the way of icons.
Old October 7th, 2011 (10:09 PM).
moments.
{quixotic}

There isn't even a filter called plastic wrap in my version of Photoshop... I know what you are talking about, it was a texture I used, which looking back on, probably should've just been ditched...

@Dero: Thanks for the comments. I think I put more work into that tag than actually showed, there were quite a few layers of C4Ds in the background, and the small one in front of the render was an amalgamation of two different C4Ds again, but I can see what you meant. I was trying to not use textures, and keep a really clean, crisp look while maintaining maximum quality, but I agree I could've added some more little details!

@Gav: I wanted to add more C4Ds, but to be honest, I couldn't find any good positions for the C4Ds which matched the style, and I got a bit lazy and didn't want to spend heaps of time playing around waiting for something to fit nicely. So yeah, agree with you there!
The white edges, I didn't notice whilst making it, but yeah, should've been removed.
Thanks! :D

A tag I made to collab with Dero, but this is my own version of it, I'll leave him to post his finish in his own gallery. xP

And, the collab he started;

Bottom is my finish. I didn't really add a whole lot, mostly adjustments and some textures and space stocks here and there, but yeah, still getting in the groove of graphics.

Old October 8th, 2011 (01:03 AM).
Brane
-

Quote originally posted by moments.:

Do people cut out the links in quotes because the repetition of images is unnecessary?

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/spacecassette.png
A tag I made to collab with Dero, but this is my own version of it, I'll leave him to post his finish in his own gallery. xP

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/Raiden1.png

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/derocollab.png

Bottom is my finish. I didn't really add a whole lot, mostly adjustments and some textures and space stocks here and there, but yeah, still getting in the groove of graphics.
Gonna start by saying I am a HUGE fan of your work Have been around for a while on many different accounts.

I love the abstract/retro (whichever way you wanna go) feel that you have given to the first tag, the vintage/soft colouring really suits the imagery in the tag and just flows very well. Everything in it fits so well and is perfectly positioned. Nothing really bugs me a part from those circles, but I guess without them there would be a little too much emptiness.

In relation to the other ones, I think the bottom one is much better because the strength and sharpness of the image suits the render, and really brings a powerful focus to the tag. I don't know so much about the text, whether it is unnecessary or just doesn't fit that well, personally I don't know what else you could have done with it other then just take it out.

But fantashtic teach me?
Old October 8th, 2011 (04:56 AM).
abnegation
the wild card

Spoiler:

This is pretty. Except for the fact you have a 3 focal thing going on here. The tag is quite disjointed. The tape on the right poses as one focal point, then the person, and then the text. The text is too far away from your person. So find a way to put the three together. Perhaps put the tape above his face, just larger than the other, but I guess that wouldn't work. I just think it looks too out of place there. The text should be closer, and you will need to change it so that it's still visible as it's pretty bright there. Anyway, this tag is looking pretty cool, it just needs some work to be put together better. That's if you want to be a bit more by the book and want to tighten your screws on this piece. The colours are super, I think the space stock is a bit generic (coming from me haha) and this would benefit from maybe some more original and self made texture. Otherwise it's pretty nice.

Spoiler:

This is also pretty good. I think I'm going to end up commenting on both parts here, but Dero can read this also. What I do like is the fact that the text, finally, fits the style of the tag, and that's something Dero struggled with. Though the placement of the text is still a little bit too far from the main part of the focal. Sure it's on the render, but what we're drawn to in the image is the face, and the hand. If you could some how make the text work well over there you'd be looking at better placement. The effects are quite nice in fact. Pretty nice lighting and atmosphere. But I think you over sharpened your part. I prefer the flow in Dero's side, because you pretty much sharpened the whole thing. It would have been better if you sharpened parts of it that needed to be sharpened such as the face and the arm, as I quite liked the softness of the tag before you sharpened the whole thing. In saying that, you did a good job in cleaning the focal up since the face was pretty hard to see on Dero's end. I think you killed a bit of the atmosphere created in the original part. But I know when you're collabing you feel obliged to try and edit a lot, but I think Dero really did a good job before giving it to you. However you could have added a little depth to the background. It just lacks in it a little. Anyway, it's still pretty.
Old October 9th, 2011 (12:08 AM).
moments.
{quixotic}

Brane, people cut out the links because reposting the images takes up room, and if you just state which one you are talking about, the person who created them is likely to know which one you're talking about.
But thanks a lot for the comments! :D

So, did an LP, I had to scale the whole thing down (cause it was massive), click for the original which has better quality, bit sharper and crisper, or just don't say the quality is bad. xP
I know the text is eh, I sort of like it (mainly just nostalgically), but imagine it without if you want. xP

Spoiler:

Old October 9th, 2011 (02:20 PM).
Mr Cat Dog
<insert witty eloquence here>

Nature: Relaxed
I apologise if this is a crappy review... kinda new at this, but here goes:

For the most part, I really like it. It's bustling with activity but I was never distracted by any one thing; I was always looking at the image as a whole, which is impressive given how expansive it is in size and activity. I like how there are a variety of different ocean-dwellers and your use of colour, especially at the top of the image. My biggest issue is the use of light at the bottom of the image. At the top, you have the sun beating down on the water, and light filtering through and as the eye wanders lower, it gets darker but the fish seem to look like they should be higher up than they are because they're too bright. The turtle, for me, is the worst offender in this regard. The jellyfish are good as they're clearing producing their own light, but the other critters at the bottom could do with being a bit darker to reflect their spatial position. You mentioned the text in your write up: it's fine in terms of font and colour, but maybe it could do with a little spacing out. The 'r's especially look cramped in comparison to the whole text. But, on the whole, I like it. It's aesthetically pleasing and manages to convey a nice sense of place, with the text providing a nice ironic touch.
Old October 22nd, 2011 (06:52 AM). Edited October 22nd, 2011 by moments..
moments.
{quixotic}

Thanks for the comments!

ICONS!

Old November 11th, 2011 (10:15 AM).
Comic Tragedy

Location: The suburbs, and no I don't need to describe much further.
Nature: Relaxed

I want this to be mine.

Oh, and hi. I like your art. I should write more about it! Expect this to be edited soon with actually substantial comments!
<3

take a few sʇuǝɯoɯ and look at this tag.
Old November 26th, 2011 (07:52 PM).
Tyrantrum
ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
Oh my god. Your graphics are absolutely amazing! <3 I got bored and decided to come to Graphics & Phototagraphy, saw your thread and though, "Oh hey, his graphics are pretty sweet, so I'll go check them out." AND I'M IN LOVE WITH YOUR GRAPHICS. :DDDDDD

I really like this one and the icon of the fox. :3

(x) Tumblr
(y) Twitter
Previously Eeveon
Old December 2nd, 2011 (02:13 AM).
moments.
{quixotic}

Thanks so much for the comment Eeveon! :D
As for you CT, you probably won't even see this ever, but GIMME THEM COMMENTS! ;)

So it's been so long, and I only have one weird piece I threw together today cause I felt like getting back into it more! It has been over a month and I wanted to go crazy again, so yeah, that's a warning.

Old December 2nd, 2011 (03:12 AM).
Brane
-

The thing that instantly catches my eye is that the focal blends too much with the background, I understand the whole 'contemporary' route that you took, but it seems that the focal is too weak. I reckon you could have probably broken it up more and only inverted certain parts of the focal to still maintain that focus. I also think that the image is weighted too much towards the right or too close to the center I guess, I think you need to bring the text in a little closer and then move the text and focal a little to the left. Other then that though I'm glad you've chosen to try something different

I've been trying to experiment a little myself recently but they all turn out the same
Old December 4th, 2011 (07:39 PM).
moments.
{quixotic}

My problem is that I always try different things and never develop styles. xP
Thanks for the comments, I agree with most of the stuff you said, it had been 2 months, really just trying to get rid of the rust.

Old December 4th, 2011 (09:56 PM).
Deadrocks

Nature: Lax
Man, I used to be so good at making sigs back in the day. Then that whole brushing thing started which I could never grasp, and now it's ridiculous. Your pictures are awesome man. Keep it up.

Old December 5th, 2011 (12:13 AM). Edited December 5th, 2011 by moments..
moments.
{quixotic}

I never really used brushes to be honest. I use them occasionally now, but I never used them during that massive rush a few years ago, most of the time they look tacky and flat... Anyways, thanks for the comments, I'll edit this with some more if no more comments come in between now and whenever I finish my next piece.

I just finished this, may put up another version in the morning after sleeping on it...

Old December 13th, 2011 (01:21 AM).
moments.
{quixotic}

This is sort of a WIP, it needs that extra something, I just haven't figured out what yet...

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links