The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:50 AM
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure
Community Supporter

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
Where is that from? The official games? They never did have a strong point in the plot department lol. (except like... the newer ones, i liked that plot)

Yeah, I understand that he's a bad guy, but I feel like going the direct approach about it isn't the best idea. I mean, in movies and history, the bad guy never came out and said "I'm evil and want to do evil things" Most of the time, the real good stories have decent guys, with good intentions, but only for themselves.

Idk what I'm trying to say here... Just that I don't think he should be so direct about being evil... Just my opinion, not that it really matters ha.
Yeah it's from the official games. Regardless though, I do see where you're coming from. Though it isn't just a "I want to be powerful and evil person", there is the whole idea that King feels that he deserves to be the monarch. And so, he was someone who began small, but the more he engrossed himself in his family history the more he began to become frustrated and annoyed with how the last king was dethroned.

It's pretty hard to get across too much about 1 character in games like this, the screen is also quite small. But I do think that there is enough motive for him to be the antagonist. If you feel that the motive is too direct, you could take a look over the entire storyline here. However, I think I will revise that section of the thread and clarify things a little.

I see what you're saying, but I honestly do think if I tried to get across more motives and history within the game, I'd end up flooding people with text in it also.

the internet is full of people who refuse to be nice to others
because they feel that this makes them superior
that's lame
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Oh yeah yeah for sure, there's soooo much backstory and character development on paper, that would be just a hassle to make it happen in game haha.
The way you described it in this reply sounds a lot better than him just wanting to do evil things, ya know? He doesn't seem to think of it as evil, but you will obviously know it's not good.

Anyway, glad you get what I'm saying haha XD
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Elite Four Lucian
Elite Four - Psychic User

Nature: Brave
This game is sooo beautiful. Very professional looking Ab. I am very impressed, and jelous. I wish I could make something as amazing as this.

The Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Supporter Userbars were made by me, if you would like one to support your favorite version, gym leaders, or Elite Four member, message me and I'd be glad to make one for you.
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Gnarwinism
Grandson - er, whats his name?

Nature: Lax
Oh my god this game is worth more than a nintendo game to me. If you ever completely finish this game, Id totally be willing to donate the cost of a normal pokemon game. I love the music and animated graphics, the forest music is my favorite. And when I saw staryu, my favorite pokemon, as a starter, I just fist pumped.
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:28 PM
gingko4
a tree of knowledge

Is there any chance I could play this game?
It really looks like an awesome game.
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Sylvie18
Stray Cat

Nature: Quiet
Ah, i've noticed you've changed the starters :o before i would have gone with Poochyena hands down, now maybe growlithe..ah but i like staryu and petilil too xD i'd probably end up having to play three times just for the starters :D
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:17 PM
dragonmaster1212
Beginning Trainer

This is incredible. Just absolutely incredible. This looks better than the official games, really. If you ever need a tester or anything, please let me know. All of the people working on this, are geniuses.
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:24 PM
G_Sylar

Your work is really cool. And I chose Growlithe already.

Oh, and Signomi means sorry in greek.
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:52 AM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I am in love with the new Professor design Gavin. Hope all is going well with Forever Lost

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:01 PM
originaljdk
Beginning Trainer

If you ever need someone to test it out id love to!
Old January 21st, 2012, 05:20 PM
Starforce23
Ultimate Trainer Red

Nature: Brave
Cool,but aren't the electric crystal cave (forget the name) an Unova place?

Im cool and cute,and I can transform into any Pokemon!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:07 AM
grantos354
Beginning Trainer

This game looks absolutely amazing. It looks so neat and pretty . I hope this game comes out with something to play soon, it looks just too good.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:05 AM
Donnie Pataki
Generation X Trainer

Nature: Lonely
Looks absolutely fantastic. Hope it gets a release date soon :D

So I'll write my words on the face of today

and they'll paint it

Shannon Hoon
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:40 AM
Antemortem
it's the end of all things

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Absolutely awe inspiring. Sorry if that sounds cliche, but I've never seen a fangame so professional looking in progress.
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Riansky
Purr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarmor View Post
where is the link????????????????????????????????

download link
WTH is wrong with you. The game is not released yet..

I really love the new professor desing and I also like that magnetic cave animation you put in the first page, really good. Your game is really inspirative (I hope this is the right word). Looking forward for the updates.
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:01 AM
xdanx
But you can call me Dan :)

The bad:
Everything in the maps is just way too close to each other (paths are too narrow, making maps kinda unpleasant), I really don't like buildings design, and snowy maps are just ugly, trees have too much snow (in fact there is simply too much snow on everything) and icy water looks like a circus tent. And music sound kinda gameboy-ish with that quality of sounds.

The good:
Except for that, everything else looks cool. Map design is good in other aspects (the way you have used the tileset). Textures look interesting, except for shadows, since buildings seem to have too long shadows compared to, for example, the trees. Sprites are even more cool. Story seems quite interesting, though not enough to make me want to pay a lot of attention to it.

Above all, from what I've seen so far, I'd say:

Idea and story: 6/10
Mapping: 6/10 (would be 9 if paths weren't so narrow and everything wasn't so close)
Music: 5/10
Sprites: 8.5/10
Tileset: 7/10 (buildings don't fit to everything else, and snowy maps either)

Total score: 6.5 to 7

So far at least, of course that's just my opinion

Make your own HGSS-style maps in RPG maker XP using:

Old February 5th, 2012, 09:13 AM
abnegation
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riansky View Post
WTH is wrong with you. The game is not released yet..

I really love the new professor desing and I also like that magnetic cave animation you put in the first page, really good. Your game is really inspirative (I hope this is the right word). Looking forward for the updates.
Glad to hear you like it, just let staff deal with the people spamming :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanx View Post
The bad:
Everything in the maps is just way too close to each other (paths are too narrow, making maps kinda unpleasant), I really don't like buildings design, and snowy maps are just ugly, trees have too much snow (in fact there is simply too much snow on everything) and icy water looks like a circus tent. And music sound kinda gameboy-ish with that quality of sounds.

The good:
Except for that, everything else looks cool. Map design is good in other aspects (the way you have used the tileset). Textures look interesting, except for shadows, since buildings seem to have too long shadows compared to, for example, the trees. Sprites are even more cool. Story seems quite interesting, though not enough to make me want to pay a lot of attention to it.

Above all, from what I've seen so far, I'd say:

Idea and story: 6/10
Mapping: 6/10 (would be 9 if paths weren't so narrow and everything wasn't so close)
Music: 5/10
Sprites: 8.5/10
Tileset: 7/10 (buildings don't fit to everything else, and snowy maps either)

Total score: 6.5 to 7

So far at least, of course that's just my opinion :)
I think you don't have much taste, but that's just my opinion! To be honest I feel that you've been extremely unnecessarily harsh. To give my mapping a 6/10, I find that extremely insulting considering I've been studying it for 3 years and have spent over 60 hours of work mapping for this game, and that's just for the demo. I personally think that you've been harsh for whatever reason, and your comments weren't all that helpful.

The "snowwy maps" are quite outdated I'll admit, and I wish to change the tileset. But to say this is bad mapping is pretty... well I'm not quite sure what you'd consider to be good mapping. And I will defend my work on mapping and the work of others on this game because it is something I put a hell of a lot of time into. So, without wanting to seem self righteous I have to completely disagree with you.

To give the music of my composer a 5/10, is well, also really harsh in all honesty. This is a fan game, if I could hire John Williams for free I'd do it. So again, I feel you're just judging the music and not telling us what you like and dislike.

I have literally no idea what you mean about how the buildings don't fit with anything else. Please give me an example and reasoning as to why they do not, because this is the first I've ever heard of it.

Yes, I take your criticism, and if you feel I'm not taking it, go through the thread and see that I do in fact take all comments on board. But I feel you were being overly and unnecessarily critical. I have the right and means to disagree with your comments, and I do. But, if my game is what you call a 6.5, well I'm afraid it seems we have a pretty bad quality selection of games in The Showcase. Which I do not believe.

that's lame

Last edited by abnegation; February 5th, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:32 AM
xdanx
But you can call me Dan :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post

Glad to hear you like it, just let staff deal with the people spamming :]

I think you don't have much taste, but that's just my opinion! To be honest I feel that you've been extremely unnecessarily harsh. To give my mapping a 6/10, I find that extremely insulting considering I've been studying it for 3 years and have spent over 60 hours of work mapping for this game, and that's just for the demo. I personally think that you've been harsh for whatever reason, and your comments weren't all that helpful.

The "snowwy maps" are quite outdated I'll admit, and I wish to change the tileset. But to say this is bad mapping is pretty... well I'm not quite sure what you'd consider to be good mapping. And I will defend my work on mapping and the work of others on this game because it is something I put a hell of a lot of time into. So, without wanting to seem self righteous I have to completely disagree with you.

To give the music of my composer a 5/10, is well, also really harsh in all honesty. This is a fan game, if I could hire John Williams for free I'd do it. So again, I feel you're just judging the music and not telling us what you like and dislike.

I have literally no idea what you mean about how the buildings don't fit with anything else. Please give me an example and reasoning as to why they do not, because this is the first I've ever heard of it.

Yes, I take your criticism, and if you feel I'm not taking it, go through the thread and see that I do in fact take all comments on board. But I feel you were being overly and unnecessarily critical. I have the right and means to disagree with your comments, and I do. But, if my game is what you call a 6.5, well I'm afraid it seems we have a pretty bad quality selection of games in The Showcase. Which I do not believe.
If there's something no one can deny, is that, in life, you never stop learning, there's always something you can improve even further.

And my intention isn't and will never be being harsh, I just say the things exactly the way I see them. If it was my project I'd prefer a direct truth than just a sweet truth.

Also, I'm not saying maps are bad, but they are just too lineal because of them having such a narrow paths. And I'm not saying music is bad, I'm saying SOUND is bad. I don't think it is necessary for them to sound like Y2K game midi songs. Music itself is cool (even if I don't like some of them for the specific field or situation they were made for)

About the buildings, what I meant by saying "they don't fit" is that they just don't really merge with most part of the tileset. They are like too 3D-ish and they stand out. Maybe it's just the outline is too dark, and because of that, as I said, they don't seem to merge to the world, like they're floating or something.

It is great to be proud of your work, and I would too if this was my game, you are doing an excelent work, but I wanted to clarify what I don't like of it. As I said, it's my opinion, I have never cared if anyone else in the world shared it or not, 'cause I don't change my opinions just to be popular, I tend to be sincere and direct. Sorry if that offends you, 'cause it's not my intention.

Make your own HGSS-style maps in RPG maker XP using:

Old February 5th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Attribule

I think the criticism is a bit ridiculous mostly because they're judging the mapping of the game off of a few select screenshots from the game. A fair amount of them are set in a forest environment, so how open can you actually get with mapping without making the forest look too empty? Anybody remember how narrow Ilex Forest was in G/S/C? You had like, 2 tiles of width, maybe 3 at the wider areas. Viridian Forest? Exactly.
Old February 5th, 2012, 10:24 AM
abnegation
Community Supporter

Alright, I understand your points a little better xdanx. I will do what I can to try improve on the areas that you have mentioned in which I can. For the first time in this thread, I'll release a mapshot.

I do have an update coming up soon though guys, been working on something big. Also have some music coming your way!

that's lame
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:13 PM
ct_bolt
Beginning Trainer

Great work so far, looks absolutely stunning! I can't wait to play it...
I know it's been asked several times already... but is there any info (estimate) on when it will be release?
Old February 7th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Man, I never seem to wander from my one board but HERE I AM!

I kind of stumbled upon this thanks to the PC deviantart page then saw all those screenies and oh my, I just love the bright atmosphere of all of those screen shots. The colour scheme just makes me want to scream. So good!

I'm definitely subscribing to this thread and awaiting any kind of news to it. <:
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:51 PM
abnegation
Community Supporter

Updates coming soon, but right now...

Forever Lost Team Positions Open

Available Positions

:: - Pixel Artist: There is always room for more pixel artists on our team. We require talented pixel artists with experience in Pokemon style to join the team.

:: - Composers: An additional composer would be a great help on this team. We need an enthusiastic music composer who enjoys writing in Pokemon style.

:: - Scripter: There is also a space on the team for a scripter who is talented in the area of RGSS and Ruby. Coding with Pokemon Essentials.

:: - General Game Developer/Co-leader: A co-leader or talented developer to work closely along side me, and to help control what needs to be done and work with the team is a big desire of mine. They need to be talented in the area of RMXP overall.

:: - Tile Artist: Someone who is talented at making tiles and who would be able to create tiles like the ones seen in the game. You would have lots of referencing and lots of artistic expression!

You are welcome to fill out this form.

Position:
Experience:
Method of contact:
Proof of work in this area:

Thanks guys! I hope to see some applications, it would really be helpful to us.

that's lame

Last edited by abnegation; February 7th, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:59 PM
abnegation
Community Supporter

Newlestter & Update February 11th, 2012
Table of contents
  1. Editor's Notes
    This month in development...
  2. Screenshots
    From Cliffs of Hawthorne & Mesto Mountain
  3. Character Updates
    Heroes & Rivals
  4. Final Notes
    Conclusion
This month in development...
Editor's Notes
So today is almost mid-February, and occasionally I wish to do these kind of updates to show people what exactly is going on behind the scenes. Well from January, after the hustle and bustle of the new year I have started work again. I personally went through a serious art block for several weeks, so I wasn't really getting anything done in any department. So I eventually decided to try and do some work on things which are not going to be in the first demo, simply to get out of that restricting zone of working on the same stuff frequently. However you will see some updates for the first demo in this update, as well as some updates from later in the game, so let's get started huh?

Here's some new music for you to listen to as you go through the thread!

Created by our composer Steven!

Screenshots - Cliffs 0f Hawthorne & Mesto Mountain

For the past two to three weeks myself and some of the team have been working on a new area which is loosely based on Machu Picchu as well as a number of other areas. For now I am only displaying some of the terrain you encounter. This area is quite ambitious and is inhabited by ancient and dinosaur Pokémon.

The Cliffs of Hawthorne is a large route amongst the sea in which leads up to a waterfall where two large Ho-oh statues were created by inhabitants of Hawthorne many years ago after the war. This leads you into through another large route known as Mesto Mountain, where an overgrown temple resides on top. This temple was used to protect the people of the city beyond it. Powerful and ancient Pokémon reside both inside and out of it. A Tyranitar was said to have fought off forces from the King's army many years ago to protect the city from their onslaught, and so they erected statues of him. To this day, Tyranitar has been seldom seen in Hawthorne, but many believe the bloodline from that saviour still remains within the temple.

Alto & Aria
Character Updates

Meet Alto
Alto is the male hero in Forever Lost. He is a determined, fighting and collected teenager. Alto grew up in Nocturne Town in the Hawthorne region with both his parents. When his father went on official business due to work, Alto became the male presence in the house and began to look after his mother. Alto and his best friend Gavin were always known to be up to mischief in the town, which led to their popularity amongst the inhabitants. Only because the town is so quiet that somebody needs to keep it lively!

Meet Aria
If you choose to play as Aria, she is the pretty, happy go-lucky girl from Nocturne Town. Aria grew up at home with her parents, and was particularly fond of hearing stories from her parents. She and Gavin had been friends from a young age, they had both been very interested in leaving home some day, and knew that once they did, they could never agree to go in the same direction! They never could agree on one thing. But Aria and Gavin were best friends nonetheless. The towns people always found their banter humorous.

Meet Gavin
Gavin is the hot headed, introspective and philosophical young adult who hails from Nocturne Town. He enjoys exploring the wilderness around him and writing music. Although he is quite intelligent, he tends to allow some of his more negative qualities be more evident. However he is a good friend of your chosen hero, and simply wishes to find his way in this world. He claims to get recurring nightmares from a boy named Luke.

Meet Carmen
Carmen is from Tranquillo Town. She helps out with the farm her parents own from time to time, but she dreams of living in the city. She is a stylish and metropolitan go-getter who's dream is to be famous in the region of Hawthorne for her evident sharp and persuasive characteristics. Watch out for her! She may not seem like she's strong willed by how kind she is, but she fights for what she believes in!

And so ends this update!
It has been a busy few weeks for us. I have also hired a few additional artists. Elaynii from PC, InnocentDrive, Rezfan and Litera-sure all from Deviant art. Each but the latter signing on as artists while Litera-sure is a pixel artist. I am very happy to welcome them each to the team. In saying that, I am still looking to recruit some members, you may refer to my previous post if interested.

Thanks for reading all!

Oh! And one more thing, welcome to the region of Hawthorne.

2012 © The Forever Lost Team

that's lame

Last edited by abnegation; February 23rd, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old February 12th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Riansky
Purr

You should do something like that every month! Amazing that's all I have to say.

I'm loving the new orginal music you or you composser made. Ice dungeon has really awesome drum and bass lines, its really amazing.
The tiles of the Mesto Mountain ( I think) are simply breathtaking. I also love those little sparkles (?) animations. Clifs of Hawthorne tiles are also amazing. Loving those high mountains and the sea tiles looks pretty good to, I hope they are animated as well.
I can't say much about sprites since I think they are just perfect.

Oh and also the Hawthorne region looks amazing in BW style.

You really have an awesome team working on that game. Hope I'll be able to make such an awesome game with such an awesome team one day.

Keep it up my friend!

Sponsored Links

Advertise here