The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 5th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Nature: Relaxed
I have nothing "constructive" to add. Those latest screenshots confirm for me that this game is in my handful of "must play" fan games.
I just have well wishes rather then comments.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old December 5th, 2011, 03:57 PM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post
Update December 5th 2011

Sorry I'm late with the update, but I've been working on some new stuff. Got some screens for you guys. I revisited the start of the game and revamped the starter town as well as the second town.

Nocturne Town

Meet one of your rivals, Gavin.

Tranquillo Town

Tempostone Pass
Look who it is...

Enjoy.

Very nice screens who makes your tiles?
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:28 PM
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure

Thanks Neo.
@KC - You could have checked the first post, but me and the pixel artists on my team.
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:39 PM
PokemonTrainer-Red
Beginning Trainer

"Field" is misspelled in the second to last picture.
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonTrainer-Red View Post
"Field" is misspelled in the second to last picture.
Field? No... that's how you spell it, lol. He got it right.

Beautiful screenshots man. The water in that fountain doesn't really look like it's flowing though... is it just because it's a gif?
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:13 PM
abnegation

Yeah, the .gif isn't perfect. It's a slightly inaccurate representation of how it looks in game. Since the water has more frames than the fountain it just ended up being uneven.
Old December 9th, 2011, 12:26 AM
sHiNyMoltres@Rayquaza*inverted*EvE's Avatar
sHiNyMoltres@Rayquaza*inverted*EvE
lost pokemon

Nature: Docile
can't wait to play looks amazing Abnegation! XD
Old December 9th, 2011, 12:36 AM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Nature: Naughty
Hey the game looks great! The best feature is the animated tiling of the map. It makes it more realistic and lively, rather than still and stagnant. I love the color, it has some nice saturation levels so it not too colorful, nor bland - it appears to be smooth and natural. The buildings and shadows are also excellent.

I only have one concern. As you may have read from other posts, the starters are a bit off. First off, it may just be me, but I think that it is more engaging to have a starter that evolves twice, rather than once. Also, the pokemon selected are not that popular, I for one am not fond of any of them. Lastly, other people have voiced their concerns about the starters, and I think it is smartest to heed those concerns rather than defend the choice of the starters selected; I don't think one person has posted that they liked them. I think that the game would have a much more success if the starters were changed. Again, I am not trying to sound negative, I just want you to have the best reviews for your hard work once you guys are finished.

Don't be a rotten apple!
Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
!

Old December 9th, 2011, 06:42 AM
abnegation

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ty- View Post
I only have one concern. As you may have read from other posts, the starters are a bit off. First off, it may just be me, but I think that it is more engaging to have a starter that evolves twice, rather than once. Also, the pokemon selected are not that popular, I for one am not fond of any of them. Lastly, other people have voiced their concerns about the starters, and I think it is smartest to heed those concerns rather than defend the choice of the starters selected; I don't think one person has posted that they liked them. I think that the game would have a much more success if the starters were changed. Again, I am not trying to sound negative, I just want you to have the best reviews for your hard work once you guys are finished.
Every review on the starters so far has been completely irrelevant due to the fact that the type triangle does not come into play in the game. No one other than yourself has actually complained about the choices, that they dislike them.

I really don't see a decent alternative, because everyone likes different Pokemon, so it's subjective to taste. I personally like all of them. I didn't like any of the starters in DPP, or B&W. So I cannot please everyone. I don't think changing the starters is going to change the popularity of the game.

In saying this, I'm open to discussion on new starter choices. If anything props up that might be a better decision I'm happy to consider it strongly.
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:49 AM
khkramer

Dratini, Bagon and Gible

Check out the MMORPG I'm developing:

• Trading • PvP • Co-Op
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:56 AM
KingCharizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkramer View Post
Dratini, Bagon and Gible
++1 I love Dratini and dragon types give the player a challenge from the start
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:11 AM
abnegation

Dragon pokemon from the start would ruin the mechanics of the game. It would need to be more typical Pokemon and types.
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

Nature: Adamant
I don't personally see what the big deal is about the starters...

Gav has chosen a perfectly good set of starters. Sure, Chingling has a disadvantage against Poochyena due to its typing and its moves would have no effect, but, that's what the move Foresight is for.

Anyways, Gav!

The update was amazing and I'm very giddy to play this game~ :D
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:51 AM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Here is an idea for the dark, psychic, and fighting starters. I realized that it was difficult to find pokemon with two evolution to make the triangle dynamic for the game-play; Apparently there are not that many pokemon that evolve twice.

An alternative idea: I think that the original water, grass, and fire starters, are very balanced, although it might be nice to mix it up. But, I think there is good balance between these evolutionary lines, they are pure types, and have two evolutions each.

These are just some ideas, but I don't think the ones now are horrible, I just think that some are generally forgettable/unpopular and the single evolutionary line isn't as appealing. But as you said, the taking to a pokemon is subjective.

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Last edited by -ty-; December 9th, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Black Mage
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Gavin has asked me to come up with starter combos since I'm superior to him in every way when it comes to this aspect of the game so (well superior in general but that is irrelevant):

Rock>Ice>Ground (example: Sudowoodo/Beartic/Donphan)

Fighting>Rock>Flying (example: Mienshao/Probopass/Xatu)

Dark>Psychic>Fighting (While not a true triangle due to an immunity being present instead of a resistance, it's widely accepted as one and as many know it's what's currently being used in the game: Bisharp/Beheeyem/Mienshao)

Suggestions of Triangles/Starters are welcomed as LONG AS THEY MAKE SENSE. So nothing like Farfetch'd/Machamp/Sudowoodo. Make sure the starters are similar to each other in strength and evolution method.
Old December 9th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Ground/Electric/Water: I know, ground is immune to water, but I really like this type combo for some reason. (Example: Krookodile/Ampharos/Walrein)
Old December 9th, 2011, 12:05 PM
abnegation

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ty- View Post

I appreciate the suggestions, but Luke is right, they need to make sense. I like this, however, the evolution methods are all over the place. They need to be all by level, or else I'll have to change the methods. Which I can do but I'd like to keep the game relative to other official games in this sense.
Old December 9th, 2011, 12:55 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

How about this one? Although Conkeldurr, evolves via trade, I am assuming that you are not going to have trade level ups. They each have two evolutions. Plus, Gothita/gothitelle can learn grass knot, and energy ball via tm if needed to stand a chance against Krookodile.

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Last edited by -ty-; December 9th, 2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Ratty524

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post
Every review on the starters so far has been completely irrelevant due to the fact that the type triangle does not come into play in the game. No one other than yourself has actually complained about the choices, that they dislike them.

I really don't see a decent alternative, because everyone likes different Pokemon, so it's subjective to taste. I personally like all of them. I didn't like any of the starters in DPP, or B&W. So I cannot please everyone. I don't think changing the starters is going to change the popularity of the game.

In saying this, I'm open to discussion on new starter choices. If anything props up that might be a better decision I'm happy to consider it strongly.
I freakin' love Makuhita, man! D:

Either way, I don't see why everyone is complaining about the starter choices. Type-wise, they balance each other in terms of weaknesses and resistances, (even though chingling would have no effect on Pooch), second I feel they are balanced stat-wise, having a choice of physical offense (Poochyena), Defense (Makuhita), and special offense/defense (Chingling). The only problem with Chingling, however, is that its evolution method is completely different from the rest of the starters (evolving by happiness, not by level), in that regard, I'd say Drowzee would be a good replacement, being that it has a single evolution and evolves at a level that is close with the rest of the starters.
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:35 PM
KingCharizard

What about
Fire/Water/Grass(Numel, Wailmer, Cacnea) or (Pansage, Pansear, Panpour )

I like the first better but these are just ideas...
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails

If you don't mind me asking, is there a need for the trio? If it doesn't hold any significance, then why not give the player one starter, and the rival another with no choice involved? That way all you need to worry about is two pokemon that match up together in whatever way you please.
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Pokemon Master N
Champion Trainer

Nature: Brave
What about Riolu, Chingling and Zora? They might only evolve once but they all evolve by happiness in the day time!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

With Conans post, I think maybe you could give them Spiritomb or Sabeleye!

Currently: Playing Pokemon Raptor EX
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Ratty524

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Master N View Post
What about Riolu, Chingling and Zora? They might only evolve once but they all evolve by happiness in the day time!
Chingling evolves at night
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Chingling

Conan does bring up a point, though. If the player is not going to challenge a rival who is going to match up the player's starter, than there is little point in having it. It at least gives player's options, however.
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:27 AM
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

How about mixing it up a bit, and only have two starters?
and
Both have the same base stats, and they'd have an equal chance against eachother.
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Daydream
Spider-Man
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
This game looks amazing. It's appealing story-wise and visually. And I love the custom music. Props to you Abnegation, and your entire team, this is a brilliant project.

And to add to the current starter debate, I'd say there's really nothing wrong with the current set. In my eyes, at least - especially if type match-ups don't really come into play with them. And don't a lot of people get rid of their starters after a while, anyway?

Sponsored Links