The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:44 PM
abnegation
adventure

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan Edogawa View Post
If you don't mind me asking, is there a need for the trio? If it doesn't hold any significance, then why not give the player one starter, and the rival another with no choice involved? That way all you need to worry about is two pokemon that match up together in whatever way you please.
Trio is not necessary. And one pokemon could even suit, but I like to offer choice. And remember guys, I want more consistent evolution method than anything. I basically want to see a starter line that a lot of people like. I personally like my current, but I don't mind changing. I don't mind the Fire, Water, Grass trio either.

So continue the debate, this is interesting.
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:25 PM
HallwayKid
The Illogical Scientist

Nature: Quiet
I like the current trio.

I don't see the problem with psychic not affecting dark. It's always normal moves to start off so typing doesn't matter for the first battle. In future battles you will have access to different move types or you could just catch other Pokemon.

Old December 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Honestly I dont mind the current starters because I always been a big fan of Mightyena more of a fan of my Crobat and Camelrupt but Mightena is a good dark type. As for Mukuhita(Think i spelled it wrong) he's ok I think he can be a little too powerful for a starter... but maybe i'm wrong.. poochena is horrible as a pup, and the other pokemon i forgot who he is but I am not a fan of him. I'm not really sure which way you should go

My vote sticks with, NUMEL, WAILMER, CACNEA but these are my choices which i think make a very balanced trio of starters...

but if your not partial to a trio Zangoose and Seviper could be good starters, rival pokemon for rival trainers...

that is my opinion, keep up the good work on this i am loving the games look...
Old December 10th, 2011, 07:40 PM
DarkRisingGirl
Order Must Be Restored

Nature: Relaxed
Wow, this looks so cool! I mean you have the graphics and characters nailed to a point. I will defiantly be ready to play this.
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:47 PM
aimax
Beginning Trainer

how about grass>ground>poison (> > )
all of them one stage evo and pure type...evo at lvl 25 except gulpin lvl 26 and they all cute for starter
Old December 10th, 2011, 10:46 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Nature: Naughty
POKEMON LIST A:
Pokemon that evolve by level-up with three evolutionary stages. (Not including starters from other games)
Spoiler:
ICE - vanilite, spheal
BUG - caterpie, weedle, venipede
POISON - Venipede, Weedle
STEEL - Klink, Aron, Beldum
ROCK - Aron, Larvitar
ELECTRIC - Mareep, Shinx
GRASS - Hoppip,
FLYING - Hoppip, Pidgey, Starly, Pidgey
DARK - Deino, Sandile
WATER - Tympole, Spheal
DRAGON - Deino, Gible, Dratini, Axew, Bagon
GROUND - Sandile, Larvitar, Trapinch, Tympole
NORMAL - Slakoth, Whismer, Lillipup
PSYCHIC- Beldum, Gothita, Solosis

POKEMON LIST B
Pokemon that evolve by trade with three evolutionary stages. (Assume that trades must be altered to level-up)
Spoiler:
GHOST - Duskull, Gastly
POISON - Gastly
FIGHTING - Machop, Timburr
GROUND- Geodude, rhyhorn
ROCK - Roggenrola
STEEL - Magnemite
FIRE - Magby
ELECTRIC - Magnemite. Elekid
PSYCHIC - Abra
WATER - Horsea

ALL PERFECT TYPE TRIANGLE THEORIES:
Spoiler:

FIRE => GRASS => WATER => FIRE
FIRE => GRASS => GROUND => FIRE
FIRE => GRASS => ROCK => FIRE
FIRE => STEEL => ROCK => FIRE
GRASS => GROUND => POISON => GRASS
GRASS => ROCK => ICE => GRASS
GRASS => ROCK => BUG => GRASS
GRASS => ROCK => FLYING => GRASS
ICE => FLYING => FIGHTING => ICE
FIGHTING => ROCK => FLYING => FIGHTING

ALL IMPERFECT TYPE TRIANGLES THEORIES:
Spoiler:
SAME TYPE TRIANGLES:
GHOST => GHOST => GHOST => GHOST
DRAGON => DRAGON = DRAGON = DRAGON
IMMUNITY-SIDED TRIANGLE
FIGHTING => DARK => PSYCHIC => FIGHTING
WATER => GROUND => ELECTRIC => WATER

All Type Triangles need pokemon from both list A and B. Pokemon that evolve via trade for their second evolution have to have their evolution methods changed because you cannot trade pokemon in Fangames, so this doesn't seem to matter if pokemon from list B are included.
ALL PERFECT TRIANGLE STARTERS EXAMPLES:
Spoiler:

Magby => Magnemite/Klink/Beldum => Roggenrola
Spoiler:
=>=>

Spheal/Vanilite => Pidove, Pidgey, Starly => Machop/Timburr
Spoiler:
=>=>

Vanilite => Hoppip => Machop/Timburr
Spoiler:
=>=>

Machop/Timburr => Aron/Larvitar/Roggenrola => Pidove, Pidgey, Starly
Spoiler:
=>=>

Magby => hoppip => Tympole
Spoiler:
=>=>

ALL IMPERFECT TRIANGLE STARTER EXAMPLES:

Spoiler:

Horsea (DRAGON-TYPING) => Sandile/Larvitar/Geodude/Rhyhorn (IMMUNE) => Mareep/Shinx/Magnemite/Elekid
Spoiler:
=>=>

Magby => hoppip(IMMUNE) => Sandile/Larvitar/Geodude/Rhyhorn
Spoiler:
=>=>

Machop/Timburr => Sandile(IMMUNE) => Abra/Gothita/Solosis
Spoiler:
=>=>

Any three from Deino, Gible, Dratini, Axew, Bagon (Same-Type Weakness)
Spoiler:

So here are the 65 different starter combinations (excluding the monotypes) that are alternative to the other starters in the games, have three evolutionary stages, and balanced types. I felt the urge to help because I started this whole starter discussion. I hope this helps alot!

Don't be a rotten apple!
Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
!

Last edited by -ty-; December 10th, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Brane
-

> >

To be honest, I don't think you should be asking us what starters to go for anyway. In the end, we aren't the ones creating the game, so out of respect I think it should be entirely up to the team to decide which starters to go for. They're the ones who know the feel of the game best and also how they want it to turn out. There is a thin line between asking the community for an opinion and having the community demand. Just remember to choose something you're happy with if you go this way
Old December 13th, 2011, 07:49 AM
abnegation
adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by brane View Post
> >
Most likely going with this. After I balance the stats a little. Basically I want to incorporate more history, mystery and importance on evolution stones. I find them to be pretty interesting to begin with, so I think this starter trio would be a really nice addition. I think that no matter what trio I choose, unless I pick original triangles, it's not going to be fly with everyone. So I like these, there's a nice balance in popularity and variety.

What do you guys think?
Also thanks to those who wrote out long posts and suggestions, they were really helpful.

Update December 13th 2011

Well first off, I'd like to welcome tImE to the team as one of our Pixel Artists. I'm very happy to see him on our team.

Next, a little note on progress on the demo. We're about 80% there. Now, in saying that, 20% is still quite a bit to do. However, I'm hoping it will not be too long as all the maps have been finished, all of which have custom tiles, designs and themes. This was a big part of the game and why it took quite a bit of time. The work that will take the most time is the introduction, as I have something special planned for that, a few menus which need to be scripted, and the Day & Night system, in which is going to be a lot of work for me.

At any rate, I have a screenshot for you, I could have more, however I do not want to spoil too much for the demo. I hope to present some new screens from menus and the battle system soon, once I update them again.

Romanti Village

Last edited by abnegation; December 13th, 2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Ratty524

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post
Most likely going with this. After I balance the stats a little. Basically I want to incorporate more history, mystery and importance on evolution stones. I find them to be pretty interesting to begin with, so I think this starter trio would be a really nice addition. I think that no matter what trio I choose, unless I pick original triangles, it's not going to be fly with everyone. So I like these, there's a nice balance in popularity and variety.

What do you guys think?
Also thanks to those who wrote out long posts and suggestions, they were really helpful.

Update December 13th 2011

Well first off, I'd like to welcome tImE to the team as one of our Pixel Artists. I'm very happy to see him on our team.

Next, a little note on progress on the demo. We're about 80% there. Now, in saying that, 20% is still quite a bit to do. However, I'm hoping it will not be too long as all the maps have been finished, all of which have custom tiles, designs and themes. This was a big part of the game and why it took quite a bit of time. The work that will take the most time is the introduction, as I have something special planned for that, a few menus which need to be scripted, and the Day & Night system, in which is going to be a lot of work for me.

At any rate, I have a screenshot for you, I could have more, however I do not want to spoil too much for the demo. I hope to present some new screens from menus and the battle system soon, once I update them again.

Romanti Village

On the starters, that combination is certainly alright Staryu can destroy ALL of them! I say go with what floats your boat at this point.

On the screenshot, I personally find the clamshell-shaped rails of the bridge to be a little odd-looking. It just looks like there isn't anything to support each shape, and what's the theme you are going for that location?
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:16 AM
abnegation
adventure

I'm pretty happy with them actually. I mean, how can you know there's no support if you can't see behind them? Heh.

Based on the romantic period of music, and in conjunction, times when the roman empire was at large.
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Brane
-

The only thing I don't like about the starter trio is that two of them are from the same region, but I really couldn't find a suitable alternative.

I see where Ratty is coming from, it seems as though the only support is the bar straight down the middle of each clam, it only really catches on when you look on the two ends of the bridge. But I don't see it as that much of a deal, and if anything, it adds to the architecture of that time.

I look forward to seeing the next update
Old December 13th, 2011, 07:06 PM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Quote:
The only thing I don't like about the starter trio is that two of them are from the same region, but I really couldn't find a suitable alternative.

I see where Ratty is coming from, it seems as though the only support is the bar straight down the middle of each clam, it only really catches on when you look on the two ends of the bridge. But I don't see it as that much of a deal, and if anything, it adds to the architecture of that time.

I look forward to seeing the next update
again i have to mention numel, cacnea and wailmer.. all from the same region all with similar stats... ugh nvm.. .good job i guess i like the clam bridge...
Old December 13th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
Wow! I wish I new something about coding! You guys are doing a really amazing job by the look of it! Just amazing, from what I've seen I would chose this over an actual [licensed] Pokémon game!

I'm hopping the desiners of the actualy games (HG,SS,B,W) find some insperation from this LOL Good luck on the rest of it!
Old December 13th, 2011, 08:30 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Nature: Naughty
I think those starters are great as far as balanced personalities go. growlithe/arcanine is kinda the brawny type of pokemon, Petilil and Lilligant are the beauty type of pokemon, and then starmie is the brainy -type pokemon. Also, these are popular pokemon.

The bridge is great as well. The clam-shell rails add a nice aesthetic.

Don't be a rotten apple!
Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
!

Old December 14th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Quote:
I'm pretty happy with them actually. I mean, how can you know there's no support if you can't see behind them? Heh.
If you want to go with that point, then why are both of the row of support bars facing down? Surely the bottom row would be flipped inwards on the bridge, or the top row flipped outwards. Right? Heh.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787

Last edited by Neo-Dragon; December 14th, 2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:20 AM
abnegation
adventure

Well in relation to the bridge, it's a 2D game, I can hardly provide enough angles and detail to show how it's supported. If I did that, the game would need to have much bigger tiles, and by the same token if you're going to make the argument that the support of the bridge can't be seen, you may as well question how a house can stand, or why the tops of mountains and hills are always completely flat. It's a 2D Pokemon game, there's liberties I'm obligated to take if I want to make or have ambitious structures. If I was making a 3D game, with a higher resolution, then yes I would have to accommodate for the fact that I would need to show the architectural support that structures might have. But again, 2D Pokemon game with a 256x192px resolution, use your imagination, it's that kind of game after all.
Old December 14th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Edit:
Okay just wondering why you mentioned it yourself in the first place. Cheers.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787

Last edited by Neo-Dragon; December 14th, 2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old December 17th, 2011, 05:05 AM
naczkens
Experienced Pokeplayer

Nature: Impish
Wow.
I mean really WOOOW!
I hope You just wouldn't abandon that project
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:44 AM
mman2067
Beginning Trainer

will it have 4th and 5th gen movestets
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:01 PM
abnegation
adventure

Yeah there will be.

Update December 19th 2011

I have some updating to do in the main thread. At any rate today, I have a bigger than usual update for you guys. Some screens, some art, and I'm releasing the official Hawthorne Pok
édex. Prepare!

Hawthorne Pokédex

Enjoy guys, and offer your comments.

Next up, I introduce, the redesigned...

And some screenshots for you guys. Note that the .gif is not perfect, so the colours are not as good and there is some loose pixels. Also the menu.
Oh, the .gif may take a lot of time to load. Just so you know!

Last edited by abnegation; December 19th, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Ratty524

Not a bad redesign. While she does look more like a scientist, I kind of liked the fact that the old signomi looked very athletic and cool-looking.

So you are going to have the battlers animated? My only problem with it is that after seeing games like Pokemon Lightning Yellow, the frames stop at a weird point during action sequences and it ends up looking ugly. I'm personally fine with them motionless, but go with whatever floats your boat.
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:10 PM
abnegation
adventure

Well, one thing I dislike, is when people compare my game to others'. I don't have that issue with my battlers. They have the full animation which works in loop.

Athletic & cool looking doesn't exactly suit the kind of professor she is in this game however.
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Ratty524

Quote:
Well, one thing I dislike, is when people compare my game to others'. I don't have that issue with my battlers. They have the full animation which works in loop.
My apologies for coming off as rude, then. I tend to get skeptic about features like these. Overall, this project is really coming along nicely.

Quote:
Athletic & cool looking doesn't exactly suit the kind of professor she is in this game however.
Okay. As long as the design fits the character, than its alright.
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Brane
-

I'm reaalllyy liking the simplicity in the menu, and how you added that darkening to the game while in the menu, it really makes it look professional. I just don't know about that solid white for the menu background, but that comes up to you in the end. The battle looks pretty cool as well, especially how the players health bar bounces as well. Are you going to be adding more pokecommunity faces to the game? Amachi maybe
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Amachi
(。・ω・)ノ゙ Hello, I am Amachi-chan~♪

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
I'm reaalllyy liking the simplicity in the menu, and how you added that darkening to the game while in the menu, it really makes it look professional. I just don't know about that solid white for the menu background, but that comes up to you in the end. The battle looks pretty cool as well, especially how the players health bar bounces as well. Are you going to be adding more pokecommunity faces to the game? Amachi maybe
lol dude, who are you? I'm seriously very confused.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here