The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 10th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Meta Paradox
Researching FireRed...

Nature: Serious
Woot Woot! Is the updated version ready for download already?
Old June 12th, 2011, 06:51 AM
link12552
just tired, that's all

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta Paradox View Post
Woot Woot! Is the updated version ready for download already?
Well, there is an update, but I'm not sure as to how stable it is...
Ahh, what the heck, I'll post it anyways.

Update:
  • Imports and Exports
  • Updated the NSE_Framework.dll and added a new host function to the Plugins class.
  • Fixed many of bugs
  • Aded some new features here and there (mostly shortcuts)
NSE2.X's importer

Again not much has changed for the end-user to see, other than the imports/exports/shortcuts, but much work has been done towards future developement.

I'll attach the update to the fist post...

Now for developers, here's what I've got:

You now have acces to the Editor control which can be placed on a form dynamically created, whatever.
Inside of the editor control is a list of sprites, and an integer CurrentIndex.
Changing currentIndex changes what sprite the editor is currently edditing.
The host command:
Code:
void SetEditor(ref NSE_Framework.Controls.Editor Editor);
sets NSE's current editor, which wires the main toolbar, imports and exports to the current editor.

The selectcolor control is wired to the editor control, and does exactly what its name implies,
It sets the selectedcolor property of an editor to what ever color you pick.

Both controls can be resized and have a couple of other designer properties to mess with.

Oh I'm also going to... unlock the NSE 2.0 exe
Feel free to acces it in your plugins. It will give you access to NSE2.program.Mainform wich allows you to do whatever with ANYTHING you see or don't see in NSE.

Please play gentle, have fun :D
and please no stealing source code, I've allready given you the NSE Framework dll to use what more could you need

Oh, I'll also be looking for translators in the future, let me know if your interested.
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:23 AM
voymike
AbsoLugiArticuno

how i use this?
i have no idea what are those offsets
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Meta Paradox
Researching FireRed...

Nature: Serious
Thanks, Link. The Import and Export features are pretty necessary. Thanks to Darthatron for reminding. :D
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
@voymike - go here.
( It never hurt to use the search function btw. )

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old June 15th, 2011, 01:43 AM
voymike
AbsoLugiArticuno

still doesn't understand....
i need a file where all graphics' and pokemons' offsets..
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:00 AM
link12552
just tired, that's all

Okay so I was a little bored and wasn't really doing anything, when I suddenly realized something...
I' had been pushing NSE's plugin system without actually providing a usefull plugin.
How were people ever going to take NSE 2.X seriously if it doesn't do what I said it could.

So I'm here today to give you NSE's first usefull plugin! OMG :D

It's quite simple realy:
  • It's called the "Pokemon Sprites" plugin
  • It edits the front/back normal/shiny and mini versions of the pokemon sprites.
  • Click the image you wan't to edit.
  • Everything is wired corectly Exports, Imports, the editor...
The Plugin running in the interface:

Notes:

IT ONLY WORKS WITH FIRERED AND LEAFGREEN! (if you want this to change developers please help contribute)
I also fixed a bug in the MainForm's nslx exporter, nothing wrong with the format just some bad code.

So get the plugin and the fixed NSE on the first post.

Source code for the pokemon plugin atached to this post:

EDIT: Just realized I accidentily left the New Sprite button active... whoops.

It'll show the dialog for a new sprite, but it won't actually create a new sprite when you click OK.

Sooo... Just don't mess with it
Attached Files
File Type: zip PokemonPlugin.zip‎ (57.8 KB, 204 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by link12552; June 17th, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Shiny Quagsire
Unexpectedly Gone until Aug 13

Nature: Jolly
That Pokemon plugin is nice. What better to accompany it than a...

Trainer Sprite Editor Plugin v1.0
by Shiny Quagsire

Simply extract the files into your NSE 2.X directory, and open NSE.
The plugin should be visible and useable!

This plugin uses an ini to find offsets for different games.
It currently only supports Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red, Leaf Green,
and Emerald US. You can add support for other versions through
the INI file included.

Soon To Come: Trainer Frame System: Support for multiple framed trainer sprites. To be explained later.

Bug(s): If the plugin crashes due to a bad ROM, other ROMs cannot be opened. Just restart NSE and load another ROM to fix this.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Trainer Plugin.zip‎ (40.2 KB, 462 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Old June 24th, 2011, 12:44 AM
TheDarkShark
Metal Headed Hacker

I could translate this into German, perhaps (depends on how much text has to be translated, 'cause I'm really, really busy these days. Anyways, I'd like to wait until there's a full version to translate). Will there be a language.ini or language.xml? I don't really care about wether it's an xml or ini file, but I'm sure gonna be to lazy to do this via Visual Studio

Old June 24th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Paupir
Dreamer

Nature: Naughty
It would be helpful if the 'Select Color' box (Ie. Palette box) would change automatically upon switching frame or sprite index
The sprite library exporting seems to work beautifully, hehe- I've always liked that about NSE (And NSL).

Quag: Your little table offsets in your plugin are a much welcomed addition- I wish more developers would add this information in their tools more often I'm looking forward to what you have planned for the frames ;o

It's looking really promising thus far; looking forward to future developments on the NSE front~

Last edited by Paupir; June 24th, 2011 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Typo~ oh dears
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:40 AM
war rock exe
Pokemon Colosseum Remaker!!

Nature: Hardy
[QUOTE=link12552;6676621]Anything really is possible now.

I see, but would we have 2 create a plug-in for that or manually search it....?
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Shiny Quagsire

On the topic of searching above...
Will there be a plugin release thread or a browser application for plugins, because all of them being released here could be problemsome to find. Anyhow,

Trainer Sprite Editor Plugin v1.2
by Shiny Quagsire

Version 1.2 finishes the animation feature, but not this plugin not only edit's trainer sprites, but trainer backsprites as well (Fire Red only). Ruby/Sapphire users can use unLZ-GBA, but support will soon be added. You can also preview trainer backsprite animations. To edit backsprites press the button to the right with the >.

To learn more about traine animations, see here

Trainer Editor:

Backsprite Editor:

Item Sprite Editor Plugin v1.2
by Shiny Quagsire

Nothing new. Just a simple port of the old Item plugin with support for Fire Red, Leaf Green, and Emerald.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Trainer Plugin.zip‎ (66.9 KB, 318 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: zip Item Plugin.zip‎ (25.2 KB, 158 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by Shiny Quagsire; June 25th, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
^ Does this support JPAN's backsprite table hack?

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Infernhawk
Beginning Trainer

When I load my Firered rom into it nothing happens!
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:01 PM
link12552
just tired, that's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkShark View Post
I could translate this into German, perhaps (depends on how much text has to be translated, 'cause I'm really, really busy these days. Anyways, I'd like to wait until there's a full version to translate). Will there be a language.ini or language.xml? I don't really care about wether it's an xml or ini file, but I'm sure gonna be to lazy to do this via Visual Studio
Yes, when NSE 2.X is done I will definitely be looking for translators.
I'm planning on doing a really simple xml type thing where translations will be stored in multiple files with NSE.

So thanks for the offer to translate, I'll keep you in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paupir View Post
It would be helpful if the 'Select Color' box (Ie. Palette box) would change automatically upon switching frame or sprite index
The sprite library exporting seems to work beautifully, hehe- I've always liked that about NSE (And NSL).

Quag: Your little table offsets in your plugin are a much welcomed addition- I wish more developers would add this information in their tools more often I'm looking forward to what you have planned for the frames ;o

It's looking really promising thus far; looking forward to future developments on the NSE front~
Select Color box: There was a similar functionality to this in the first release, at least I think there was, but I had to remove it because I hadn't finalized the plug-in system (new controls, commands etc...)
I will try to re-enable it, but for some of the not so simple circumstances, I'll provide a way for plugins to reload the select color box to.

NSL: Thanks, I spent much time ironing out the NSL format and integrating it into NSE. I'm glad to see that after 1 or 2 years of development people are actually using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny quagsire View Post
Will there be a plugin release thread or a browser application for plugins, because all of them being released here could be problemsome to find. Anyhow,

by Shiny Quagsire

Version 1.2 finishes the animation feature, but not this plugin not only edit's trainer sprites, but trainer backsprites as well (Fire Red only). Ruby/Sapphire users can use unLZ-GBA, but support will soon be added. You can also preview trainer backsprite animations. To edit backsprites press the button to the right with the >.

Trainer Editor:

Backsprite Editor:

by Shiny Quagsire

Nothing new. Just a simple port of the old Item plugin with support for Fire Red, Leaf Green, and Emerald.
I removed the images to shrink this post's a little

My, my you've really been busy
While I was on vacation backpacking, you've gone on and made some awesome stuff here.
You even ported some of NSE Classic's plugin functionality and certainly improved it quite a bit.
Truly awesome!

The searcher thing...: I'm planning on adding a plugin manager to NSE, so that
plugins won't all have to be piled into your NSE folder and sorted through whenever you want to change them. I might make a plugin folder and each plugin could get its own folder for itself and its resources (much neater). The only thing I'm concerned about, in doing this, is that I'll have to put the NSE framework dll into every directory with a plugin in it... Oh-well I'll figure something out... Advice?

Regarding a proper way to post plugins, I turn to you, the community. How do you want them to be posted? I could:
  • Just let plugin makers put them where-ever and link to them in the first post
  • Post them in this thread and link to them in the first post
  • Make a new thread specifically for plugins
  • Not do anything, and let it work itself out
  • Other?

It's up to you! Post your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernhawk View Post
When I load my Firered rom into it nothing happens!
After loading a ROM, NSE can do all sorts of crazy things... but you have to tell NSE what to do!
Use the navigator, find offsets to sprites or tile-maps (bookmarks soon to come)
or Use a plugin, to make your life a little easier.

Loading the ROM does just that. It loads the ROM for you to edit.

Last edited by link12552; June 26th, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Infernhawk
Beginning Trainer

I got it working, but how do you find a certain image and its pallet. i cant find the right one. i dont know what to put in. I want to edit the main characters back sprite

Quote:

by Shiny Quagsire

Trainer Editor:

Backsprite Editor:

by Shiny Quagsire

I downloaded the trainer one and theres no program there. just a read me and a bunch of dll files

Last edited by Infernhawk; June 26th, 2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:59 PM
link12552
just tired, that's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernhawk View Post
I got it working, but how do you find a certain image and its pallet. i cant find the right one. i dont know what to put in. I want to edit the main characters back sprite

I downloaded the trainer one and theres no program there. just a read me and a bunch of dll files
Depending on what ROM your editing, you have to insert the offsets into the navigator. You can find these online or in other tools (ex unlz or tilemolster)
The plan is that with plugins and bookmarks you will rarely have to do this in the future.

To use a plugin you have to copy the files from its download into the NSE folder (of course you can leave out the screen shots).
To simply rephrase: Copy the dll's and ini's into the same folder as NSE.
-Then when you load NSE and load a ROM you can use the plugin ( You'll see it in the welcome screen )
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Infernhawk
Beginning Trainer

Thanks I'll try that out.
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:13 PM
link12552
just tired, that's all

-Quick question to any understand the GBA pointer system.
I'm adding the "more than 6 digit" ability everyone's been asking for, but I'm not %100 sure how GBA pointers are stored after 0xFFFFFF;

Does the 08 at the beginning / end of the pointer simply change to a 09?
-or am I missing something here?
Cookies to whoever helps
-And...
On another note,
I might as well mention that I'm also tricking out the bookmark system.
Among the improvements I'm making to it, I might mention that one of the new features is the ability to easily script bookmarks from within NSE. Yay! dynamic bookmarks! :D
The way I think this "scripting" is going to work is a simple drag and drop approach -cuase it's all command based...
(eg: Dragging a "Read" icon onto an ordered table and specifying to read 4 digits from 0x800000, then telling it to take the read digits and set them as the "image offset" of the sprite by dragging a return icon onto the table)
Of course you can make much more complicated scripts (if / while statements, dynamic memory, math operators, and a few other more essential commands will be available the memory stack now has constant pointers to each of your variables, and you can specify which variable you want to "add 5 to") and you can still just simply provide the offsets
And after the script is made, It's compiled into a custom byte code, that gets embedded into the bookmark file, but can still be edited at a later time, it de-compiles scripts just as easily as it compiles them)
(eg: as a test I quickly made a script similar to the old pokemon plugin just for one sprite though and it took up only about 100 bytes of size inside the bookmark file!, and these hundred bytes worked for all BP header roms)

It's still in production phase, I'm presently writing the interpreter as I post this, but hopefully it will make it into the next release of NSE.

Feedback, Ideas, Suggestions? Oh and someone please answer my question
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:16 PM
diegoisawesome
Not the Script Help Thread
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by link12552 View Post
I'm adding the "more than 6 digit" ability everyone's been asking for, but I'm not %100 sure how GBA pointers are stored after 0xFFFFFF;

Cookies to whoever helps

Well, it actually is that simple, surprisingly enough.

My other resources:
My Website
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:44 PM
Shiny Quagsire

Quote:

Cookies to whoever helps
Yup, it switches to 09 after 0xFFFFFF

Old July 1st, 2011, 04:55 PM
link12552
just tired, that's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoisawesome View Post
[/INDENT]Well, it actually is that simple, surprisingly enough.
Quote:
Yup, it switches to 09 after 0xFFFFFF
Awesome!

Now after 09 does it go to 0A and then 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E...
^ If so we could have some very large roms
What's the largest offset a pointer can point to?

OH! and you both get an imaginary cookie for answering my question... they're delicous
Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:45 AM
Clam85
Beginning Trainer

Whenever I edit an Item and save it, I get the error, Data is not Lz77 compressed blah blah blah..
after that I can't even look at the item anymore because it says Data is not Lz77 compressed every time :s

What should I do?
Old July 9th, 2011, 02:34 PM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Quote:
Now after 09 does it go to 0A and then 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E...
^ If so we could have some very large roms
What's the largest offset a pointer can point to?

OH! and you both get an imaginary cookie for answering my question... they're delicous
Actually we can only have roms of 32Mb, that is, 09XXXXXX roms.
Because the gba hardware makes a mirror of the rom in positions 0A,0B,0C,0D.
And about 0E, thats the save ram, where all our progress in the game is saved.

~Sonic1

My Site (UNDER CONSTRUCTION):

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER
Sou o Dark rayquaza da antiga myutsu.net

My Laptop SPECS:

Credits to Eagledelt for the wonderfull sign :D

Old July 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM
link12552
just tired, that's all

Update! Alpha 2.5

Quite simply:
I'm going on a 2 week vacation = no pc or internet = no way to work / update/ fix bugs/ answer questions = missed deadlines = :'(
So... To make these 2 weeks a little smoother I have a somewhat updated version of NSE for you to play with (Yay!)
Note: This is not the current build of NSE 2.X, but it is a pre-build (ie. features are disabled or not included)

Features:
  • BookMarks!!!!!!!!!!! (All the old features you loved, none that you hated )
  • Bug fixes!!
  • Emerald support for the Pokemon plugin
  • ...that's it... wait... what?

::As I said "this is a pre-build" of NSE (hence the 2.5).
There's no way I can release an untested, potentially unsafe NSE into the wild.

So let me talk about BookMarks:
The Good:
  • BookMark creation tab looks exactly the same as the Navigator. Simple
  • Unlimited amount of folders within folders within folders within folders...
  • BookMarks are tree based (Think a hieracrchy like a binary tree where each node points to its child nodes aka folders!!!)
  • Scripting dynamic BookMarks is there... well sort-of... You can't create scripted BookMarks
  • BookMark current sprite button compatible with plugins
  • Multiple BookMark files supported (so you can have different files for pokemon, than super mario, or final fantasy)

The Bad
  • Did I mention you can't script BookMarks yet, - sucks, I know
  • No way to move BookMarks up or down or from folder to folder

-Features left out of this release:
  • 32mb roms
  • Some BookMark features
  • Selectable offsets for repointing (ex: you can choose which offsets you want to repoint)
  • Undo, Redo
  • Importing Adobe color tables
  • The "new-sprite" form (which for some reason is still enabled arghhh...)
  • Palette Editting

To Plugin Developers:
*Plugins - to wire your Editor controls to the main-form you have to SetEditor each time focus is set to the form
*Please store external data for your plugins in the "Core\\Plugin Data\\" + "whatever your plugin's name is" folder
*Keep a version of your source!!!, when I do implement the undo / redo, It will break any non current plugins.

To all:
-Sorry I couldn't give you all of my planned new features, but I just can't in this short amount of time...
-At least I got a working version of the BookMarks :\ - sorry

Sponsored Links