Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old January 6th, 2016 (3:09 AM). Edited January 18th, 2016 by Sycamorph.
Sycamorph's Avatar
Sycamorph Sycamorph is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Russia, somewhere in Siberia
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
Do Poffins affect happiness? Yes they do (read later posts).
Do Pokemon likings in summary affect happiness when conditions are met? (Like fighting using Pokemon who likes to fight). No they don't, I asled this question just to be sure.

It seems from Google search that some people have delusions about these questions. I just want to see how many people know true answers.
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #2    
Old January 6th, 2016 (5:55 AM).
Hikamaru's Avatar
Hikamaru Hikamaru is offline
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Posts: 39,842
Poffins only affect contest stats as far as I'm aware, and the second part of the question seems to just be referring to a characteristic that is shown on the summary screen of a Pokemon.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old January 6th, 2016 (6:07 AM).
★Raziel's Avatar
★Raziel ★Raziel is offline
★★★MP4/4★★★
Platinum Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Poland
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Posts: 2,498
Neither Poffins, nor Pokemon characteristics affect Pokemon Happines in 4th gen.
Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old January 6th, 2016 (6:26 AM). Edited January 6th, 2016 by Sycamorph.
Sycamorph's Avatar
Sycamorph Sycamorph is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Russia, somewhere in Siberia
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
I guess I was right then. You are both probably wrong. Poffins add +1 happiness even if your Pokemon doesn't like the taste.
But info in summary doesn't mean anything, you are right about that.
Everything is tested 4 times on different Pokemon.

P.S. Where did your information come from?
Also I've noticed that my Pokemon gain +1 happiness every ~100 (probably 128) steps, not 256. And it seems that there is only a chance of gaining happiness (sometimes it changes after a lot more than 256 steps). And this chance applies to each pokemon individually.

P.P.S. I found out that Poffins add +1 happiness in Diamond/Platinum too. Can't check if happiness adds every 256 steps or 128.

I've got proofs if you don't believe me, but I'll assume you trust me, even though I just registered here to post this topic.
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old January 6th, 2016 (6:49 PM).
bobandbill's Avatar
bobandbill bobandbill is offline
#139
AdministratorPokéCommunity Daily Staff
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Coast - Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 11,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamorph View Post
I guess I was right then. You are both probably wrong. Poffins add +1 happiness even if your Pokemon doesn't like the taste.
But info in summary doesn't mean anything, you are right about that.
Everything is tested 4 times on different Pokemon.
But I'm playing Platinum version, maybe it's actually different in D/P.

P.S. Where did your information come from?
Also I've noticed that my Pokemon gain +1 happiness every ~100 (probably 128) steps, not 256. Could it be only Platinum version related?
Where did your info come from? ;p You mention testing, but how do you know +1 point is added each time you gave a Pokemon a Poffin? (Hacking?) I don't recall the games letting you specifically see the happiness number, just a way to gauge what it roughly is based on statements from NPCs (and in DPPt's case, the Poketch app which only gives you a rough basis again with how many hearts seen/their size giving you an idea how much the Pokemon likes you).

If so, it would go against common resources - a quick google search gives Bulba and Serebii making no mention of Poffins affecting happiness.
Quote:
Also I've noticed that my Pokemon gain +1 happiness every ~100 (probably 128) steps, not 256. Could it be only Platinum version related?
I don't know why it would be only Platinum related - it ought to use basically the same mechanics as other gen 4 games. Are you maybe having the Pokemon hold a Soothe Bell? That doubles the happiness gain iirc.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old January 6th, 2016 (7:18 PM). Edited January 6th, 2016 by Sycamorph.
Sycamorph's Avatar
Sycamorph Sycamorph is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Russia, somewhere in Siberia
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
That's why I started this topc. Common resources are probably false.
I used PokeGen to check numbers, there is no other way of doing that. And I even tried it on 2 different ROMs, results are the same.
Also I updated my post.
P.S. I guess you actually need proofs, so here they are.
I opened 1 copy of PokeGen every 128 steps. So I walked 768 steps. Notice how Gastly doesn't gain any happiness, I wonder if it doesn't work with ghost types.
Please explain me what I did wrong if it's not true. I can't be the only one who checked it, so I guess everyone else got different results and all my ROMs are probably weird. Also I didn't give my Soothe Bell to anyone, could it affect Pokemon from my bag?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Results.zip‎ (14.67 MB, 0 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old January 6th, 2016 (8:51 PM).
curiousnathan's Avatar
curiousnathan curiousnathan is offline
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Posts: 7,815
Sweeping this into the 4th Gen Help Thread!
__________________
Former moderator of First Generation, Second Generation and Fourth Generation
Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old January 6th, 2016 (8:59 PM).
Sycamorph's Avatar
Sycamorph Sycamorph is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Russia, somewhere in Siberia
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousnathan View Post
Sweeping this into the 4th Gen Help Thread!
I thought this thread was for people who need help, not for discussing game mechanics. But ok.
Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old January 6th, 2016 (9:06 PM).
curiousnathan's Avatar
curiousnathan curiousnathan is offline
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Posts: 7,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamorph View Post
I thought this thread was for people who need help, not for discussing game mechanics. But ok.
You are right! My apologies. I'm just so used to moving quick questions that I mistook yours for just that.
__________________
Former moderator of First Generation, Second Generation and Fourth Generation
Reply With Quote
  #10    
Old January 6th, 2016 (9:14 PM). Edited January 10th, 2016 by Sycamorph.
Sycamorph's Avatar
Sycamorph Sycamorph is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Russia, somewhere in Siberia
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousnathan View Post
You are right! My apologies. I'm just so used to moving quick questions that I mistook yours for just that.
I would probably do the same, so no problems.

P.S. So... should anyone change info on Bulbapedia? I mean I gave proofs, is it enough? Or should anyone hack ROM and check what's actually going on here?
Or should I even care about 4th gen if there is 6th gen already?
Reply With Quote
  #11    
Old January 16th, 2016 (9:43 AM).
Sun's Avatar
Sun Sun is offline
Silver Tier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamorph View Post
I would probably do the same, so no problems.

P.S. So... should anyone change info on Bulbapedia? I mean I gave proofs, is it enough? Or should anyone hack ROM and check what's actually going on here?
Or should I even care about 4th gen if there is 6th gen already?
Since you are conducting a test (which I can't), do you mind doing this test for me?
The requirements are
- Prepare as much Poffins as you can.
- Create any Pokemon with 0 Happiness (this Pokemon must be created through the PokeGen as well).
- Do NOT move even for a step and do anything that can alter the Happiness rate of the Pokemon.
- Feed the test Pokemon as much Poffins as you can.

I'm not saying I'm supportive nor against of your theory, but isn't it fair to test it on a Pokemon who has a zero happiness? (: That way you can further prove your theory that feeding Poffins do indeed increase the happiness stat, even for a bit, or the other way round.

But best of luck and please do tell us the results.

P.S. Would be great if you record a video of it, because that's a real proof that we need, haha!
__________________
Mainly focusing at
Trade Corner Trade Shop Trade Review
3DS FC | FC: 3695-0268-1834 (Anna- AS/Makoto - X)
Reply With Quote
  #12    
Old January 16th, 2016 (5:37 PM). Edited January 16th, 2016 by Sycamorph.
Sycamorph's Avatar
Sycamorph Sycamorph is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Russia, somewhere in Siberia
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
Since you are conducting a test (which I can't), do you mind doing this test for me?
The requirements are
- Prepare as much Poffins as you can.
- Create any Pokemon with 0 Happiness (this Pokemon must be created through the PokeGen as well).
- Do NOT move even for a step and do anything that can alter the Happiness rate of the Pokemon.
- Feed the test Pokemon as much Poffins as you can.

I'm not saying I'm supportive nor against of your theory, but isn't it fair to test it on a Pokemon who has a zero happiness? (: That way you can further prove your theory that feeding Poffins do indeed increase the happiness stat, even for a bit, or the other way round.

But best of luck and please do tell us the results.

P.S. Would be great if you record a video of it, because that's a real proof that we need, haha!
Ok, I'll do it. It'll take a lot of time though, making poffins isn't easy.

P.S. (There were some ideas, but none of them worked since Pokemon can't eat 100 poffins).
I created a Pokemon with 140 happiness and fed some poffins, then checked with friendship checker (1 heart appears on 150 happiness), so I won't have to use external programs (just in case PokeGen info is false). And everything worked. Here is the video: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A0860B7FAD9A6B89!5134&authkey=!AGS42T0wTRzDzA4&ithint=file%2cmp4
Is it enough? Won't you make me record walking 128000 steps with newly generated Pokemon to prove my point about walking?
Reply With Quote
  #13    
Old January 19th, 2016 (9:47 AM).
Sun's Avatar
Sun Sun is offline
Silver Tier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamorph View Post
Ok, I'll do it. It'll take a lot of time though, making poffins isn't easy.

P.S. (There were some ideas, but none of them worked since Pokemon can't eat 100 poffins).
I created a Pokemon with 140 happiness and fed some poffins, then checked with friendship checker (1 heart appears on 150 happiness), so I won't have to use external programs (just in case PokeGen info is false). And everything worked. Here is the video: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A0860B7FAD9A6B89!5134&authkey=!AGS42T0wTRzDzA4&ithint=file%2cmp4
Is it enough? Won't you make me record walking 128000 steps with newly generated Pokemon to prove my point about walking?
You should take it to the editors of Bulbapedia and serebii. For more visit their respective pages and contact the personnel. It's no use if you simply show it here, as PokeCommunity isn't affiliated with the said websites.

But hey, thanks a lot for letting us know. (:
__________________
Mainly focusing at
Trade Corner Trade Shop Trade Review
3DS FC | FC: 3695-0268-1834 (Anna- AS/Makoto - X)
Reply With Quote
  #14    
Old January 19th, 2016 (3:09 PM). Edited January 19th, 2016 by Sycamorph.
Sycamorph's Avatar
Sycamorph Sycamorph is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Russia, somewhere in Siberia
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
I requested an edit on Bulbapedia forums, but it seems that no one cares about these forums. Could you recommend please what exactly should I do to contact them?
Reply With Quote
  #15    
Old January 19th, 2016 (4:05 PM).
Sun's Avatar
Sun Sun is offline
Silver Tier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamorph View Post
I requested an edit on Bulbapedia forums, but it seems that no one cares about these forums. Could you recommend please what exactly should I do to contact them?
Send a message to the rightful person. I'm not a member nor a staff of Bulbapedia, so I can't help much. But hey, best of luck!
__________________
Mainly focusing at
Trade Corner Trade Shop Trade Review
3DS FC | FC: 3695-0268-1834 (Anna- AS/Makoto - X)
Reply With Quote
  #16    
Old January 19th, 2016 (8:44 PM).
Sycamorph's Avatar
Sycamorph Sycamorph is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Russia, somewhere in Siberia
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
Send a message to the rightful person. I'm not a member nor a staff of Bulbapedia, so I can't help much. But hey, best of luck!
Thanks, I'll send an email to the Head of Games. Also should I care about Serebii? I've heard about them (actually I wanted to write this post on their forums first), but their design made my eyes hurt (no offense), so I didn't bother checking who they are.
Reply With Quote
  #17    
Old January 19th, 2016 (11:08 PM).
Sun's Avatar
Sun Sun is offline
Silver Tier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamorph View Post
Thanks, I'll send an email to the Head of Games. Also should I care about Serebii? I've heard about them (actually I wanted to write this post on their forums first), but their design made my eyes hurt (no offense), so I didn't bother checking who they are.
It's completely your choice if you want Serebii to amend that part or not, there is no definite answer on that, to be honest. But should you feel notifying Serebii about it, here's the site's public email address: [email protected]

Remember to show them your video proof, otherwise it will be difficult to convince them. Best of luck again and thanks for sharing us your discovery.
__________________
Mainly focusing at
Trade Corner Trade Shop Trade Review
3DS FC | FC: 3695-0268-1834 (Anna- AS/Makoto - X)
Reply With Quote
  #18    
Old January 27th, 2016 (12:37 AM).
Sycamorph's Avatar
Sycamorph Sycamorph is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Russia, somewhere in Siberia
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
"But nothing happened!"
I guess it's safe to officially say that no one cares. The latest Gen 4 game was released 7 years ago, so it doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote
  #19    
Old January 27th, 2016 (3:44 AM).
Sun's Avatar
Sun Sun is offline
Silver Tier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamorph View Post
"But nothing happened!"
I guess it's safe to officially say that no one cares. The latest Gen 4 game was released 7 years ago, so it doesn't matter.
That is sad, in my opinion it should be taken care of. But hey we're not here to criticize other sites and their policy, so we'll just leave it like that.

Still, thanks for letting us know this info. At least the Poffins aren't limited to the Contest as they seemed to be. (:
__________________
Mainly focusing at
Trade Corner Trade Shop Trade Review
3DS FC | FC: 3695-0268-1834 (Anna- AS/Makoto - X)
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:39 AM.