Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation
Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Dragonsong
Beginning Trainer

This is going to be my first time EV training a team ._.
I spent an hour or two looking up gamefaqs and stats on Smogon -

Came up with this, for the current team that I'm leveling-

Eevee (Espeon) - speed/special attk
Rotom - speed/special attk
Drifblim - speed/special attk (or should I include HP?)
Dragonair (Dragonite) - speed/phys attk
Milotic - special attk/special def
Lucario - phys attk/speed

I noticed that the first three pokemon seem a bit redundant with the speed/spec attk.... although I'm not really aiming for some sort of PVP team or anything like that

I'm guessing Rotom might be a bit weaker because I'm on Diamond and his alternate forms apparently aren't available

The thing I'm stuck on now is that some of the pokemon (especially the Eevee, lvl 5-31) were previously trained) on a myriad of wild pokemon (I think it was mostly special attk and HP) before I found out about this EV stuffs. I know there are berries to erase the effort values, so should I just completely erase all of their preexisting EV's with berries? Or is it early enough that I can just start as is?

I also have Pokerus, though this is very recent

Thanks in advance =]
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsong View Post
This is going to be my first time EV training a team ._.
I spent an hour or two looking up gamefaqs and stats on Smogon -

Came up with this, for the current team that I'm leveling-

Eevee (Espeon) - speed/special attk
Rotom - speed/special attk
Drifblim - speed/special attk (or should I include HP?)
Dragonair (Dragonite) - speed/phys attk
Milotic - special attk/special def
Lucario - phys attk/speed

I noticed that the first three pokemon seem a bit redundant with the speed/spec attk.... although I'm not really aiming for some sort of PVP team or anything like that

I'm guessing Rotom might be a bit weaker because I'm on Diamond and his alternate forms apparently aren't available

The thing I'm stuck on now is that some of the pokemon (especially the Eevee, lvl 5-31) were previously trained) on a myriad of wild pokemon (I think it was mostly special attk and HP) before I found out about this EV stuffs. I know there are berries to erase the effort values, so should I just completely erase all of their preexisting EV's with berries? Or is it early enough that I can just start as is?

I also have Pokerus, though this is very recent

Thanks in advance =]
Wipe them clean. If you want the Ev's to be perfect erase em' all! :)
✿ trade thread✿
1349 6159 4149
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Dragonsong
Beginning Trainer

kk =o

Is there a way to tell when an EV's at zero? I'll be a bit hard pressed to provide that many berries ._.

EDIT: nvm xD

Last edited by Dragonsong; June 26th, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:02 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGMARGOLD View Post
Okay, I'm playing Heart Gold and am struggling to catch the roaming, legendary dog pokemon. Would someone with mutiple master balls trade me some, please?
Try asking in the Trade Corner section (there's a quick trade thread sticky in its subsection which would be ideal for that sort of request); this section is more for answering questions rather than fulfilling trade requests.

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:11 AM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Okay this is either a glitch or some retarded hidden ability, but everytime I tried to use an attack against Koga's SWALOT he either avoided the attack or it missed. He used no Double Team or Evasiveness raising ability. WTF happened?

SURF with a 100 Hit Rate still missed, and I used it 5 times.
T!M
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer Timothy View Post
Okay this is either a glitch or some retarded hidden ability, but everytime I tried to use an attack against Koga's SWALOT he either avoided the attack or it missed. He used no Double Team or Evasiveness raising ability. WTF happened?

SURF with a 100 Hit Rate still missed, and I used it 5 times.
That may just be really really bad luck. Or maybe the Pokèmon using it had the Hustle ability?

Koga's Swalot knows; Yawn, Amnesia, Pain Split & Sludge Bomb so it wasn't an evasion problem. ):
✿ trade thread✿
1349 6159 4149
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:08 PM
T!M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonomega View Post

That may just be really really bad luck...
Story of my frikken life.

What's weird is it started with Air Slash (PIDGEOT) which I assumed was a low hit rate, then I used Surf and then Giga Drain, all about 5 times each and everyone of them missed.
T!M
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Kenny4594
Beginning Trainer

Hey guys.  Sorry if this is in the wrong place I thought this was the best spot unless I overlooked a section.

Anyway just a couple of questions.

If your get the 255 EVs when do you get the stat points?  I've seen videos where people will gain like 68 attack points in one level and others say it is gradual all the way to 100.  I'm not really sure how it happens.

Next question, can you get EVs from trainers? Or just wild Pokemon?

Finally, say I'm trying to EV speed.  If I have a nature that hampers speed will it cancel it out?

Thanks for any help.  I'm really wanting to learn how to EV train but I'm not really sure what I'm doing lol.
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Dragonsong
Beginning Trainer

Iono... Started EV training yesterday and some of my pokemon (lvl 30s) have been getting up to 9 speed or specattk per level @_@

Um, one question, once my pokemon max out their EV it doesn't matter at all what pokemon they battle?

Last edited by Dragonsong; June 27th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:52 PM
T!M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny4594 View Post
Hey guys.  Sorry if this is in the wrong place I thought this was the best spot unless I overlooked a section.

Anyway just a couple of questions.

If your get the 255 EVs when do you get the stat points?  I've seen videos where people will gain like 68 attack points in one level and others say it is gradual all the way to 100.  I'm not really sure how it happens.

Next question, can you get EVs from trainers? Or just wild Pokemon?

Finally, say I'm trying to EV speed.  If I have a nature that hampers speed will it cancel it out?

Thanks for any help.  I'm really wanting to learn how to EV train but I'm not really sure what I'm doing lol.
1. It's gradual but I believe levels past 50 are levels that the EV Training begins to show the fruits of your labor. But once you hit level 100, the training fully pays off.

2. You can get EV from both trainers and Wild Pokemon but depending on the Pokemon you battle or encounter, results in the attribute the EV will be placed in.

3. No it will not.
T!M
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:56 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Iono... Started EV training yesterday and some of my pokemon (lvl 30s) have been getting up to 9 speed or specattk per level @_@

Um, one question, once my pokemon max out their EV it doesn't matter at all what pokemon they battle?
Once your Pokemon fully maxes out their EVs (510 EVs total), then they can't gain any further EVs, so it doesn't matter who they battle from that point on.

Old June 27th, 2012, 05:29 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Once your Pokemon fully maxes out their EVs (510 EVs total), then they can't gain any further EVs, so it doesn't matter who they battle from that point on.
Does Macho brace or any of the other braces need to be on continuously to have the ev bonus effect?
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:10 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Yes; their effect only kicks in when they are being held. Akin to say the Exp Share; it only does something when it is in use.

Old June 28th, 2012, 10:13 AM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
Yes; their effect only kicks in when they are being held. Akin to say the Exp Share; it only does something when it is in use.
Do you need to battle the ev attribute pokemon to get the benefit of the 5-6 stat boosts?
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:49 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

If I understand your question properly, then no; it'll give the EVs the item is specific to regardless of the Pokemon battled. E.g. if you use the item for Attack EVs and fight Magikarp (which give 1 speed EV each) then the Pokemon will get 4 attack EVs and 1 speed EV.

Old June 29th, 2012, 09:40 AM
T!M

HGSS: Is there another place to obtain Ball Seals aside from the young girl in Cianwood City?
T!M
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:23 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer Timothy View Post
HGSS: Is there another place to obtain Ball Seals aside from the young girl in Cianwood City?
Unfortunately, the little girl in Olivine is the only person who you can get Seals from in HG/SS.

Old June 29th, 2012, 08:27 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
If I understand your question properly, then no; it'll give the EVs the item is specific to regardless of the Pokemon battled. E.g. if you use the item for Attack EVs and fight Magikarp (which give 1 speed EV each) then the Pokemon will get 4 attack EVs and 1 speed EV.

I didnt explain correctly. I have maxed out my EVs with Sp atk and Speed. Do I need to battle pokemon with Sp atk or Speed to gain the 5-6 speed boosts. I have been equipping my Dragonair with Macho Brace and each level up I only get 2 or 3 point boosts sometimes 4. I am not sure what im doin wrong

Also The Macho braces and stuff adds 2 ev of anything or does it multiply by 2. Ive been understanding that Macho Multiplys instead of addition.
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:41 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
I didnt explain correctly. I have maxed out my EVs with Sp atk and Speed. Do I need to battle pokemon with Sp atk or Speed to gain the 5-6 speed boosts. I have been equipping my Dragonair with Macho Brace and each level up I only get 2 or 3 point boosts sometimes 4. I am not sure what im doin wrong

Also The Macho braces and stuff adds 2 ev of anything or does it multiply by 2. Ive been understanding that Macho Multiplys instead of addition.
The Macho Brace doubles the amount of EVs you get. For instance, if you battle a Zubat, you get 2 Speed EVs instead of the usual 1.

Old June 29th, 2012, 08:53 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
The Macho Brace doubles the amount of EVs you get. For instance, if you battle a Zubat, you get 2 Speed EVs instead of the usual 1.

Ok. So with things like Ankle bracelet is it the original ev point multiply by 4 or is 1+4 for 5 ev points
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Ok. So with things like Ankle bracelet is it the original ev point multiply by 4 or is 1+4 for 5 ev points
The Power items add 4 EVs of a particular stat depending on the item itself in addition to the EVs you get. If you're holding a Power Anklet and you defeat a Shinx, you get 4 Speed EVs from the Power Anklet in addition to the 1 Attack EV the Shinx provides. Here are the Power items:
-Power Weight: adds 4 HP EVs
-Power Bracer: adds 4 Attack EVs
-Power Belt: adds 4 Defense EVs
-Power Lens: adds 4 Special Attack EVs
-Power Band: adds 4 Special Defense EVs
-Power Anklet: adds 4 Speed EVs

Old June 29th, 2012, 09:19 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
The Power items add 4 EVs of a particular stat depending on the item itself in addition to the EVs you get. If you're holding a Power Anklet and you defeat a Shinx, you get 4 Speed EVs from the Power Anklet in addition to the 1 Attack EV the Shinx provides. Here are the Power items:
-Power Weight: adds 4 HP EVs
-Power Bracer: adds 4 Attack EVs
-Power Belt: adds 4 Defense EVs
-Power Lens: adds 4 Special Attack EVs
-Power Band: adds 4 Special Defense EVs
-Power Anklet: adds 4 Speed EVs
Thank you that helps alot
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:53 AM
Teddscau
Unhatched Egg

I haven't been on my DS in several months, so I decided to play Pokemon Pearl. I started it up, checked my pokemons' stats, then I realized the little smiley faces were gone! I spent over fifteen minutes trying to figure out where the little smiley faces that indicated that they were "cured" of Pokerus had gone. I know for a FACT that my party Pokemon got pokerus several years ago, but for some reason the smiley face is gone now. Any ideas?
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:32 PM
Dragonsong
Beginning Trainer

Does Roselia give 1 or 2 Special Attack EV's in Generation 4?

the gamefaq for Pokemon Diamond states 1, Bulbapedia states 2 for gen 5 and 1 for gen 3..... @_@
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:36 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Does Roselia give 1 or 2 Special Attack EV's in Generation 4?

the gamefaq for Pokemon Diamond states 1, Bulbapedia states 2 for gen 5 and 1 for gen 3..... @_@
Roselia does give out 2 Special Attack EVs. Bulbapedia's right.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links