The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Skuntank
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Naughty

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostPheonix View Post
Once you max out ur attack evs then u dont need to up it. seeing as that each goldeen will give 1 attack ev, you wont max it out. But, at level hundred you will get all 50 points (200/4). it just adds up a little later, you wont get all those points instantly.
tell me if that sounds wierd, ill try rephrasing it.
1. Catch Adamant Gyarados lv 30
2. kill goldeens/seakings with macho brace getting 152 evs for attack, get to level 36
3. add 10 proteins (100 attack evs) for a total of 252 attack evs
4.Repeat for the defense/speed evs (12/246)
5. All done ev training, now at lv 40
6. Can i now just use Gyarados randomly ingame since i have filled all the evs? or will battling random pokemon and leveling up mess up the training?

*also, should i just transfer the ev trained pokes to my black? will i get more use out of my hard work there?
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:38 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Firstly, you'd need to use the Proteins/etc before training on wild Pokemon, because they will only give you EVs for the first 100 - so if you already have a 100 or so EVs in a particular stat they will have no effect.

As for 6 - yes, you can battle anything you want once the EV training is done - they remain fixed so battling something else after won't change a thing. The only way to 'overwrite' EVs is to reset them via specific berries.

And you'll get the same 'use' out of EV trained Pokemon on b/w as in dppt/hgss - only depends what you would use it for anyway but it doesn't matter where you do the EV training. I suppose the only real difference is that it is easier to obtain the berries that reset EVs in the 4th gen games than the 5th atm if you ever need to use those.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
The BBS Forums!
Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!
Home of Wynaut? Webzine; looking for contributors!
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:37 PM
mm55052
Beginning Trainer

I'm playing HG, and I was wondering what a good team is for the Elite Four.
I can't beat them. XD
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Ursula
have we got a deal?
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to Ursula Send a message via Skype™ to Ursula
Any team can beat the Elite Four. It's just a matter of using a little bit of strategy in preparing your Pokemon.
http://serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/elitefour.shtml
Just look at the teams that they have and try to think what would be best to counter them.
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM
H i l d a
S p r i t e r

I just beat the Mahogany Gym Leader, I beat that Team Rocket guy, and caught Shiny Gyardos at the Lake of Rage, but the guy at the right of Mahogany Town refuses to let me go to Blackthorn City. He mentioned the Olivine Lighthouse, so I went over there, but there was nothing. I also went to become an owner of the Safari Zone, but yet again, nothing. Did I miss something important? Thanks in advance. (:
National Dex///246 - 37 Caught
I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Light/// Zwelious - F - LVL 60
Slither /// Serperior - M - LVL 54
Burn /// Darmanitan - F - LVL 52
Splash /// Simipour - M - LVL 50
Moon /// Absol - F - LVL 50
Spark /// Togekiss - M - LVL 48
x x x x x x x x x x
(From Pokémon Black & White)
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Careful With That Axe, Pichu!

Nature: Careful
Yeah, the RageCandyBar guy is kind of misleading.

Go to Goldenrod City. I'm sure Prof. Elm called you earlier about the Radio Tower! Maybe things are not going well over there.

Good luck!
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:40 PM
H i l d a
S p r i t e r

Oh, I never payed much attention to that call! My bad! Guess I'll go head over to Goldenrod and see what's up. (:
National Dex///246 - 37 Caught
I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Light/// Zwelious - F - LVL 60
Slither /// Serperior - M - LVL 54
Burn /// Darmanitan - F - LVL 52
Splash /// Simipour - M - LVL 50
Moon /// Absol - F - LVL 50
Spark /// Togekiss - M - LVL 48
x x x x x x x x x x
(From Pokémon Black & White)
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:11 PM
PikachuGuy
THOSE CHU'Z

Nature: Calm
Aloha everyone. I have a quick question. I am thinking of breeding for an Adamant Dragonite and using him as a Physical sweeper. I have a Power Bracer to EV Train in Attack and saving for the speed power item. I'll EV him in attack for sky-high attack and speed to outspeed most and add the remaining EV's in HP. Would this be a good setup? I won't be using this for competitive battling.
My Trade Review: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=318949
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:08 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
I suppose - certainly 'better' then not EV training if you say intend to use it for the Battle Frontier. Mind you if you go for a Dragon Dance set then you could possibly consider putting some more EVs into defence instead, but I can't say I'm an expert with EVs and whatnot for that sort of stuff. =p

The BBS Forums!
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM
PikachuGuy
THOSE CHU'Z

I guess Defense would be good because DD would be good to use but it allows the foe to attack you.

I was thinking of something like this:

Dragonite @ Leftovers OR Expert Belt
Adamant Nature
Outrage
Dragon Dance
Fire Punch
Wing Attack
EV's: 252 in Attack and 252 in Speed (Or Defense) and remaining 4 in any other stat.

I have a Hardy Nature 'Nite which has the exact same move set as the one posted above but only has 320 total attack (It's at Lv 100). And I hear you can get alot more attack out of 'Nite if you EV. And I hear alot of people prefer Adamant as a Physical sweeper, which is my main goal.
My Trade Review: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=318949
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikachuGuy View Post
I guess Defense would be good because DD would be good to use but it allows the foe to attack you.

I was thinking of something like this:

Dragonite @ Leftovers OR Expert Belt
Adamant Nature
Outrage
Dragon Dance
Fire Punch
Wing Attack
EV's: 252 in Attack and 252 in Speed (Or Defense) and remaining 4 in any other stat.

I have a Hardy Nature 'Nite which has the exact same move set as the one posted above but only has 320 total attack (It's at Lv 100). And I hear you can get alot more attack out of 'Nite if you EV. And I hear alot of people prefer Adamant as a Physical sweeper, which is my main goal.
The thing with Dragonite is that it's not one of the most fastest Physical sweepers out there. This is why a lot of people tend to go for a Jolly nature 'Nite over Adamant. Looking at its Base Stats, it's Attack is at 134 while the Speed is set at only 80. If you plan to use it as a sweeper and outrun most of the Pokémon that can out speed a Dragonite, I'd suggest going for a Jolly nature. You can then decide what you'd like to do with the remaining EVs, if you'd like to put some in defense. Also, one more thing that I would suggest if you can do it, is instead of Wing Attack I would try and get Extreme Speed (HG/SS only). This way you can wipe out anything that's left with very little HP before it hits you first.

Now, I myself am no expert when it comes to competitive play including training up for the Battle Frontier, but the Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions thread over in the Competitive Battling Center forum might be of better help. The members over there know more than I would.
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Pokemon Game Fan
Elite Trainer

^ Yeah that.
Is it possible to rematch Red after beating him?
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
Red returns to Mt. Silver after you defeat the Elite 4 again.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:55 PM
M4
Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!

Nature: Careful
^

Red can be rematched after defeating the Elite 4 as Kenshin5 said.

You can do this repeatedly to keep fighting him for fast EXP.

'Elite 4 > Red > Elite 4 > Red'

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=286185
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
ShivaDF
The Scooter-riding Artist

Which is better, a rose incense or a miracle seed? Do they both have the same effect?
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:32 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

If I recall correctly they give the same 20% boost in 4th/5th gen, it's just the Incense has the added feature of being used to breed Budew.

The BBS Forums!
Old July 15th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Logos
Beginning Trainer

Okay so I think I am posting this in the right place. If not I am just really confused about these forums...LOL I am looking at either Plt or HG or SS...
I know Platinum really only has one region while HG/SS have two, but I am also looking for one that has the best pre and post game content. I know both series seem to have a LARGE amount of post game content, but which one would have some lasting appeal?
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:54 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Moving to the help thread because that's where questions go.

Note your old thread was closed already in case you lost it. As I said in that, both have a lot of post-game content but HGSS probably has a bit more. Pre-game content...doesn't quite make sense to me though.

The BBS Forums!
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:40 AM
epic_darkness
Lovin' the darkness

Nature: Bashful
Should I evolve my Eevee into Umbreon or Espeon? I know that Umbreon's not really a great attacker compared to the other Eeveelutions. Thanks in advance!
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:49 AM
chakra199
Playing pokemon, like a boss

Nature: Lonely
i need some help training my pokemon on soul silver...im in blackthorn and my pokemon really need lvling up and i was wondering if any1 could help me with where to train

My Pokemon:
Magneton 35
Arbok 31
Kingler 35
Meganium 35
Persian 32
Notowl 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic_darkness View Post
Should I evolve my Eevee into Umbreon or Espeon? I know that Umbreon's not really a great attacker compared to the other Eeveelutions. Thanks in advance!
i suggest espeon...even tho i wouldve perfered umbreon

I believe in Jesus Christ. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then put this in your signature.

~~~~~~~~
Erik
Platinum FC: 2193 1551 0079
SS:3997 8200 3511

Last edited by chakra199; July 16th, 2011 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 16th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
Anyone wanna explain to me how the Safari Zone in HGSS works? And can I get Houndour from there pre-E4? Thanks in advance!
Old July 16th, 2011, 06:26 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic_darkness View Post
Umbreon isn't a great attacker but he's got excellent defences, so he's good at being a wall/stalling (and say if you don't mind using Toxic or whatnot then he'll work just fine). All in all both are fine but if you really want a hard-hitter Espeon is better for that - they just do different things, those Pokemon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakra199 View Post
i need some help training my pokemon on soul silver...im in blackthorn and my pokemon really need lvling up and i was wondering if any1 could help me with where to train

My Pokemon:
Magneton 35
Arbok 31
Kingler 35
Meganium 35
Persian 32
Notowl 31
You can battle people south of Blackthorn (and the wild Pokemon there too), and make sure you didn't skip out on hidden places like surfing a bit south of Goldenrod (route 34) and exploring more of the Union Cave with Surf as there are trainers to be found there too. You can also rematch specific trainers via the phone at specific times (as often as you want during 'their time segment') - more here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Anyone wanna explain to me how the Safari Zone in HGSS works? And can I get Houndour from there pre-E4? Thanks in advance!
General gist is some Pokemon can be found straightaway, and others need you to place a specific number of a type of block in areas of the Safari Zone and may only appear a set number of days after unlocking the Safari zone too.

By my understanding for Houndour the only limit is having unlocked the blocks for the Safari zone and putting four forest blocks in the savannah area so you *should* be able to get it pre-E4 (I assume the same applies to the non-Johto Pokemon, but with those one has to wait a set number of days to get to them). You don't need to wait after that, but it will be of a high level. List here. Scroll up for more explanation on blocks in that page.

The BBS Forums!
Old July 17th, 2011, 08:50 AM
qw13
Please do not read this text.

Nature: Hardy
Can i beat Elite four with this team?(Of course in HGSS)

FERALIGATR LVL 47
-WATERFALL
-ICE FANG
-CRUNCH
-FOCUS BLAST

QUAGSIRE LVL 44
-STRENGTH
-SURF
-EARTHQUAKE
-BLIZZARD

ESPEON LVL 43
-PSYBEAM
-FUTURE SIGHT
-SHADOW BALL
-SWIFT

SCYTHER LVL 44
-U TURN
-X SCISSOR
-WING ATTACK
-DOUBLE TEAM

VICTREEBEL LVL 44
-SOLARBEAM
-SUNNY DAY
-SLUDGE BOMB
-SLEEP POWDER

DRAGONAIR LVL 40
-THUNDER WAVE
-DRAGON PULSE
-WATERFALL
-EXTREMESPEED

Please say what levels shouls i raise them to, where can i raise them, and what moves should i teach them?

Kanto , Johto , Hoenn , Sinnoh , Unova

Colour the world :D
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
shadowysi
Beginning Trainer

I saw someone say on HG/SS that you can get a sinnoh ticket? is this true and how can you obtain it?

I know in the FAQ it says it isn't possible but is it possible now?
Old July 17th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

I saw that also, but it isn't true.

"A living, breathing, double of oneself usually tormenting the person they look like..."
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here