The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Hikamaru
dude, woman up!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RNC~ View Post
Ok didn't know where to put this so I hope this is the right spot, I am breeding on one of my diamond game, the pokemon can have either of 2 abilities, what if any is the percentage of getting either of the 2?
50%, which is the same chance as if they were found in the wild.
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:21 AM
Liquid Halo
Tortured Vampire

Nature: Lonely
I am in the distortion world in Platinum. I am where you must push the three bolders next to each lake pokemon into the holes which I have done. After talking ti Cynthia below is supposed to produce an elevator which takes you to battle Cyrus.
This is not working for me, I have received no elevator.

There is one bolder that is still visible in it's hole as though it did not properly fall, did I do this one wrong? How do I fix it? Cynthia did imply that steps must be completed for the pokemon to let you through so I assume something is not completed and this bolder doesn't look right. I followed every instruction in the psypokes.com guide.

My screenshot album
http://pinterest.com/darknesswithin/pokemon-games/

Last edited by Liquid Halo; January 31st, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:38 AM
Hikamaru
dude, woman up!
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Halo View Post
I am in the distortion world in Platinum. I am where you must push the three bolders next to each lake pokemon into the holes which I have done. After talking ti Cynthia below is supposed to produce an elevator which takes you to battle Cyrus.
This is not working for me, I have received no elevator.

There is one bolder that is still visible in it's hole as though it did not properly fall, did I do this one wrong? How do I fix it? Cynthia did imply that steps must be completed for the pokemon to let you through so I assume something is not completed and this bolder doesn't look right. I followed every instruction in the psypokes.com guide.
I'll provide you with this video from Marriland which should show you what to do:

Good luck with solving the puzzle!
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:00 PM
Liquid Halo
Tortured Vampire

OK I think I know what I did wrong now, I didn't push two of the bolders in the holes DIRECTLY next to the lake pokemon but this doesn't tell me how to fix it.

My screenshot album
http://pinterest.com/darknesswithin/pokemon-games/
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:49 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
While wandering around on the internet, I stumbled upon an article that mentioned being banned from nintendo wi-fi connection due to using an AR or cloning. Google isn't being very helpful with this- but does anyone know if this is accurate? I've already cloned my Pokemon on Diamond version several times without trouble (short of being kicked off GTS a few times). I'm completely clueless about it, honestly.

But for Diamond/Pearl, I only actually seen articles that stated being banned for something to do with use of an Action Replay. So does it happen with cloning, as well?
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:10 PM
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Never heard of a ban with cloning and it's very hard to tell if a Pokemon has been cloned or not (in most cases anyway), so I doubt that is the case.

What you can get banned for from wifi is having hacked Pokemon (of the sort where there's impossible stats/movesets/etc) or rude nicknames.
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
Einarsson
Failure Trainer

I got Heart Gold, and I've just beaten the 12th gym. I took a look over my team, and got curious for what I should change, and what I must change before I face the E4 again.

I just did some quick changes after winning against her, because I want to have as many of my favourite Pokémons on the team as possible.

The team as of now:

Meganium, level 53 I don't like Meganium. Can anyone come with someone I can have instead of her?
Moveset:
Petal Dance - Should I change this?
Synthesis
Razor Leaf
Body Slam - I feel like I don't have any use of it, and I just got Giga Drain. Should I change them?

Dragonite, level 60
Moveset:

Rock Slide
Extreme Speed
Dragon Rush
Fly

Growlithe, level 25 One of my favourite Pokémon, I don't want to change him.
Moveset:
Reversal
Ember
Flame Wheel
Headbutt

Electabuzz, level 15 As Electivire is also one of my favourite Pokémons, I don't want to change this guy either.
Moveset:
Quick Attack
Leer
Thunder Shock
Low Kick

Snorlax, level 50 Omnomnom, I want him.
Moveset:
Block
Earthquake
Crunch
Surf

As you can see, I'm still missing a sixth Pokémon, where I consider getting Aggron. Is it possible to get him in HG without trading from another game?

I also got some Pokèmons on the PC, which haven't considered using.

They are:

Togepi, Nidoran, Sudowoodo, Rattata, Slowpoke, Swinub, Golbat, Golem on level 45, Gyrados, Medicham on level 79, Ampharos on level 50, Heracross, Ho-oh on level 48, Pidgeot on level 42 and Sneasel on level 62.

Thanks for every suggestion!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:13 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einarsson View Post
I got Heart Gold, and I've just beaten the 12th gym. I took a look over my team, and got curious for what I should change, and what I must change before I face the E4 again.

I just did some quick changes after winning against her, because I want to have as many of my favourite Pokémons on the team as possible.

The team as of now:

Meganium, level 53 I don't like Meganium. Can anyone come with someone I can have instead of her?
Moveset:
Petal Dance - Should I change this?
Synthesis
Razor Leaf
Body Slam - I feel like I don't have any use of it, and I just got Giga Drain. Should I change them?

Dragonite, level 60
Moveset:

Rock Slide
Extreme Speed
Dragon Rush
Fly

Growlithe, level 25 One of my favourite Pokémon, I don't want to change him.
Moveset:
Reversal
Ember
Flame Wheel
Headbutt

Electabuzz, level 15 As Electivire is also one of my favourite Pokémons, I don't want to change this guy either.
Moveset:
Quick Attack
Leer
Thunder Shock
Low Kick

Snorlax, level 50 Omnomnom, I want him.
Moveset:
Block
Earthquake
Crunch
Surf

As you can see, I'm still missing a sixth Pokémon, where I consider getting Aggron. Is it possible to get him in HG without trading from another game?

I also got some Pokèmons on the PC, which haven't considered using.

They are:

Togepi, Nidoran, Sudowoodo, Rattata, Slowpoke, Swinub, Golbat, Golem on level 45, Gyrados, Medicham on level 79, Ampharos on level 50, Heracross, Ho-oh on level 48, Pidgeot on level 42 and Sneasel on level 62.

Thanks for every suggestion!
Meganium's movepool is shallow as it is. Just get rid of Razor Leaf.

You could've let Dragonite keep Aqua Tail, or taught it Waterfall, as Water + Dragon have good coverage together. Hate to say it, but you totally wasted the Rock Slide TM on it.

Arcanine is better in Gen V, but Gen IV, it's somewhat decent:
-Flare Blitz
-Crunch
-Thunder Fang
-ExtremeSpeed
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
(the above set is good for in-game purposes)

Electivire's move pool is huge; take advantage of it. :
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
-Cross Chop
-Flamethrower
Nature: Mild
EVs: 40 Atk/252 SAtk/216 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt

or
-ThunderPunch
-Ice Punch
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake/Fire Punch
Nature: Adamant

(you'll have to breed for the above sets, though)

Snorlax is best off using physical moves, tbh, in-game and competitively..

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:25 PM
Einarsson
Failure Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Meganium's movepool is shallow as it is. Just get rid of Razor Leaf.

You could've let Dragonite keep Aqua Tail, or taught it Waterfall, as Water + Dragon have good coverage together. Hate to say it, but you totally wasted the Rock Slide TM on it.

Arcanine is better in Gen V, but Gen IV, it's somewhat decent:
-Flare Blitz
-Crunch
-Thunder Fang
-ExtremeSpeed
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Item: Life Orb
(the above set is good for in-game purposes)

Electivire's move pool is huge; take advantage of it. :
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
-Cross Chop
-Flamethrower
Nature: Mild
EVs: 40 Atk/252 SAtk/216 Spe

or
-ThunderPunch
-Ice Punch
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake/Fire Punch
Nature: Adamant

(you'll have to breed for the above sets, though)

Snorlax is best off using physical moves, tbh, in-game and competitively..
All of the natures you suggest are way off from what I have.
The Growlithe has Impish, Electabuzz has naughty and Snorlax got hardy nature.

I feel wrong about the Rock Slide too, but the thing is that I just found the game again, and this is what I have. Still sad, tho.

How do I choose the Hidden Power?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
All of the natures you suggest are way off from what I have.
The Growlithe has Impish, Electabuzz has naughty and Snorlax got hardy nature.

I feel wrong about the Rock Slide too, but the thing is that I just found the game again, and this is what I have. Still sad, tho.

How do I choose the Hidden Power?
You don't choose the Hidden Power type; it's pre-determined by the user's IVs.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:13 PM
Einarsson
Failure Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
You don't choose the Hidden Power type; it's pre-determined by the user's IVs.
So.. How do I know if he will get the right one?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:54 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Please don't care about natures and EVs unless you get something really bad like for example a Growlithe with a -Atk nature. Bothering with Hidden Power in-game makes no sense as well.

Basically, in-game you just give your Pokémon strong moves in all slots, take a look at Serebii's Pokédex for all the possible moves your Pokémon can learn, and build a moveset based on them.

In 4th gen it's relatively easy to build a strong moveset even without egg moves and TMs because they completely revamped most of the learnsets due to the inclusion of new moves for most Pokémon. It's one of the (many) reasons why 4th gen is superior to 3rd gen in so many ways, because 3rd gen preserved many of the sucky learnsets from 2nd gen.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:04 PM
Einarsson
Failure Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
Please don't care about natures and EVs unless you get something really bad like for example a Growlithe with a -Atk nature. Bothering with Hidden Power in-game makes no sense as well.

Basically, in-game you just give your Pokémon strong moves in all slots, take a look at Serebii's Pokédex for all the possible moves your Pokémon can learn, and build a moveset based on them.

In 4th gen it's relatively easy to build a strong moveset even without egg moves and TMs because they completely revamped most of the learnsets due to the inclusion of new moves for most Pokémon. It's one of the (many) reasons why 4th gen is superior to 3rd gen in so many ways, because 3rd gen preserved many of the sucky learnsets from 2nd gen.
I wasn't really considering EV training anyway, as just training is boring enough already.

As for the moves, do you have any tips?

What about the sixth Pokémon, got any tips there too?

*Quick update: Right now I am going to face Blue, the 16th gym leader!
I won! Mt. Silver ahead! Where am I supposed to go now?

* Is Thunder Fang an egg move on Arcanine? If so, where do I get a Heart Scale?

Last edited by Einarsson; February 2nd, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:42 AM
OrangePokemon!

when i was playing through pokemon diamond after i beat the pastoria gym i talked to him and he wouldnt run away
Is this a glitch?
Old February 5th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Hikamaru
dude, woman up!
Community Supporter

Quote:
It's not an egg move, you can relearn it from the Move Relearner with a Heart Scale.

In HG/SS, you can buy a Heart Scale from the Pokeathlon's Athlete Shop, but only on Wednesdays and Sundays. Otherwise, you can go surfing on Route 27 and steal them off wild Luvdisc, but only if there's a swarm. You can check out which area is having a swarm by listening to the Professor Oak's Pokemon Talk channel on your Pokegear.
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:41 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
Quick questions belong in the 4th Gen Help Thread. Please post any more questions you may have there.

Moved.
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Quote:
I wasn't really considering EV training anyway, as just training is boring enough already.

As for the moves, do you have any tips?

What about the sixth Pokémon, got any tips there too?

*Quick update: Right now I am going to face Blue, the 16th gym leader!
I won! Mt. Silver ahead! Where am I supposed to go now?

If you aren't going to EV train, I suggest Thunderbolt instead of Thunderpunch on Electivire, because Thunderbolt's higher power makes more difference in a mixed set. You can have Ice Punch on Electivire as well, it's superior to Hidden Power in-game and you don't need to hack to get one quickly. Your Electabuzz is low level, so you can afford to breed. To get Cross Chop and Ice Punch on Electivire, you need to breed him with a Machop that knows both these moves, but Machop only gets Ice Punch through breeding as well. The breeding chain is then Hitmonchan/Medicham>>>Machop>>>Elekid. The last move can be either Earthquake or Flamethrower. I suggest Flamethrower because you can buy the TM with coins, but Earthquake is more useful to get rid of opposing Electric-types and runs off Electivire's stronger attacking stat.

For Arcanine, Flare Blitz and ExtremeSpeed are no brainers. PlatinumDude listed the only other worthwhile moves for Arcanine this gen. To get all of these moves, you need to evolve Growlithe at L48 (when he learns Flare Blitz), then use Heart Scales to learn Thunder Fang and ExtremeSpeed. Thunder Fang is a starting move for Arcanine only so it can only be learned with a Heart Scale.

For Dragonite, you'd need a lot of Heart Scales... Learn Aqua Tail again, then Fire Punch. Alternatively you can teach him Waterfall. The good thing about Dragonite is that all of his egg moves are crap, with exception of a few he learns by level anyway (like Dragon Dance), so to get the best of him you only need to breed him with Dragonite itself (or Ditto). Keep ExtremeSpeed and replace Dragon Rush with Outrage.

When I said "any move works in-game", I wasn't being literal, but for example in-game is offensively biased so even with a defensive Pokémon, you might want to give him a set that allows him to attack effectively. A Whirlwind/Toxic/Stealth Rock/Roost Skarmory is a great Pokémon competitively (even if ruined by Taunt), but is completely useless in-game, as well as a pain to raise (note: Skarmory generally sucks in-game, the best birds in-game are Staraptor and Dodrio). Type matchups are most important in-game. Also, you don't have to give your Pokémon the absolute best it can learn. For example, dual-screens might not be that good in competitive play because they take two turns to set up and you might be wasting your time, but in-game they work very well because they're simply enough to give you an edge. So, for Meganium, I'd go with Light Screen/Reflect/Leech Seed(or Body Slam/Synthesis)/Petal Dance(or Energy Ball). Leech Seed is an egg move, though. Meganium also gets Leaf Storm as an egg move but I don't recommend it because Meganium himself isn't powerful enough (offensively speaking) to abuse it. It's more suited to Pokémon like Exeggutor which have huge Sp.Atk.

I have no idea what to suggest for sixth Pokémon since there are so many of them... Your team currently can't handle Fighting, even though you have Dragonite... And you don't have any Water-types. I hate Water but I consider it a necessity for every team to have a Water Pokémon in-game. Starmie would fit your team nicely, it learns Electric, Ice and Psychic moves (besides Water) so it can be very useful against Lance in the rematch.

My team sucked when I fought Red, but I had stuff like Draco Meteor on Kingdra so I could do fine.

Finally, to get Heart Scales you can break rocks in certain places, but it's more consistent to use the Pokéathlon instead.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!

Last edited by Cerberus87; February 5th, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:43 AM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePokemon! View Post
when i was playing through pokemon diamond after i beat the pastoria gym i talked to him and he wouldnt run away
Is this a glitch?
I'm not to sure who you are talking about, but Crasher Wake isn't supposed to "run away" after you beat him. You're supposed to leave the gym after you are done and deal with a Plasma Grunt and an annoying Barry (your rival).

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:09 PM
CorruptKemono
Unhatched Egg

Okay so I'm about to enter the Pokemon league... FINALLY!!! But I'm having some trouble with a decision to make. So I have an executor that is great and knows psychic along with solarbeam and sunny day.... But I just got a slowpoke in the slowpoke well and I think I should take executor out for it... The reason for that is because I feel like a grass type is completely useless in the Pokemon league and executor has horrible special defense... If I got slowking in my team then I could teach it ice beam and have a pretty good edge against lance... I already have a kingdra though... Do u think I should switch and have 2 water Pokemon??? Or keep executor???
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:31 PM
curiousnathan

Please use the 4th Gen Help thread for any futher questions you have about the games.

Moved.
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

Nature: Jolly
Hey there! :D. I think I can give you a hand with it :3. Even if Exeggutor is horrible for the Elite Four, I think you should still have it on your team honestly. I'm saying this because most Pokemon are useless for certain situations ;;, but really great otherwise! And Exeggutor is one of those Pokemon for me, it has a great moveset and can be really handy, so I advise you keep it, but it's your choice of course :D.

However, depending on what sort of Pokemon you can like, you can pick out of either the two. If you like speedy, but less bulky Pokemon, I think Exeggutor would be a great choice. And if you love defensive bulky Pokemon, keeping aware of its speed, I think Slowking could also be useful, although it might take a really long time to raise for the Elite 4 and having two Pokemon of the same type on your team isn't what I really like to be honest. :(

But it's your choice! :D. I hope this advice was useful and if you still have trouble choosing, feel free to ask again. :3
. :p

Last edited by Rainbow Arcanine; February 9th, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:17 AM
JohnnyJ773
Wanderer from Cianwood City

Nature: Modest
I want you guys opinion. I just recently finished Heart Gold, I'm collecting legendaries right now but I'm looking to buy my next game soon. I'm contemplating on whether I should go back and get Platinum or just keep moving forward to Black/White 1&2? Like is going back to Platinum worth it? I would like to collect some of those Pokemon, play through the story, and explore Sinnoh. Or enjoy the enhanced graphics and new features of the next Gen. Your input is much appreciated..
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:46 PM
curiousnathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ773 View Post
I want you guys opinion. I just recently finished Heart Gold, I'm collecting legendaries right now but I'm looking to buy my next game soon. I'm contemplating on whether I should go back and get Platinum or just keep moving forward to Black/White 1&2? Like is going back to Platinum worth it? I would like to collect some of those Pokemon, play through the story, and explore Sinnoh. Or enjoy the enhanced graphics and new features of the next Gen. Your input is much appreciated..
Ultimately, it's up to you. In my personal opinion, I think both games are just as fantastic as the other. It's really up to what you prefer more, enchanced graphics/new pokemon, or that nostalgia factor (with some still pretty good graphics!). Storyline-wise, I'd opt for BW2, (not BW). The original Black and White proved quite boring, but that may just me. I found the storylinbe incredibly short - especially the post gameplay, which didn't equate to the tons of replay value we received with HGSS.

All in all, it's your decision. But in this case, I'd go with Platinum, and then jump up to Black 2/White 2; start with the classics, y'know.
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:55 AM
lineofdeath
...overuser of the ellipsis...

Send a message via Skype™ to lineofdeath
Do any of you have some good places to train.
Like on route 210, pkmn breeder kahil.

peace is key...

hey guys... check my trading shop...
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=305409
..........................................................................................................................................they call me red.http://www.pokecommunity.com/signatu...ic362557_3.gif
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:57 AM
curiousnathan

Quick questions like this belong in the 4th Gen Help Thread.

Moved.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links