Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation
Reload this Page 4th Gen Help Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Old May 30th, 2013 (08:11 AM).
Pkmn Trainer SS Goku

Nature: Careful
I have 2 baby chansey, 1 bold nature with Natural Cure, and 1 Quiet nature with Serene Grace. Which one is the more considerable?
Obviously she has max HP and really good special defense.
Can you still EV train with HP even though its a max 255 or should it even be considered?
I will say that I wont consider defense (obvious) because its way too low by default, or attack.
Which stats should be emphasized?
Old June 2nd, 2013 (05:22 AM).
Ghost Pikachu

Nature: Quirky
Hello, I been playing through Soul Silver and I thought to myself "I wonder if there are any skunk Pokemon" as skunks are my favorite animal. I did a little research and found Stunky but also sadly found that it's not catchable in soul silver.
Does anyone know of any way i can get one.
Can Soul silver trade with diamond?

Thanks ^.^

Freindly artistic ghost Pika always looking for friends ^.^
Feel free to chat.

If you wanna check out my work its here:
http://craftswitch.deviantart.com/
Old June 2nd, 2013 (05:27 AM).
You Crystal Clods!
Crystal Tier

Uh yes SoulSilver can trade with all 4th Generation games, such as Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold (and also SoulSilver) so yup you can trade it over from Diamond.

I guess the question has been answered, hope I helped you out!
Old June 2nd, 2013 (05:45 AM).
satisfaction brought it back
ModeratorCS

Nature: Adamant
I'll go ahead and move this into the 4th Gen Help Thread. If you've got any future questions about the games of the fourth generation, feel free to post them in there! 8)

[ Moved ]
Old June 2nd, 2013 (06:40 PM).

2 Questions:

1. I had a chain of 23 zubat and on a regular patch going for my 24th zubat it was shiny. Was this a 1/8000 chance or did the odds drop because I had chained 23 in a row? (It was not in a shiny patch)

2. If I reset my DS clock back to the same exact day and time i caught that zubat is it possible to catch another shiny assuming I hit that same exact frame again?
Old June 2nd, 2013 (10:08 PM).
ModeratorCS

I'll quickly push this over to the 4th Gen Help Thread where quick questions like these belong. 8)

[ Moved ]
Old June 2nd, 2013 (10:14 PM).
PONPONPON
Crystal Tier

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by rliberto2:
2 Questions:

1. I had a chain of 23 zubat and on a regular patch going for my 24th zubat it was shiny. Was this a 1/8000 chance or did the odds drop because I had chained 23 in a row? (It was not in a shiny patch)

2. If I reset my DS clock back to the same exact day and time i caught that zubat is it possible to catch another shiny assuming I hit that same exact frame again?
1. No, you only get increased odds if you hit a chain of 40.

2. In theory yes, but the chances of doing something like that without RNG is so slim that you might as well go shiny hunting instead.

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old June 3rd, 2013 (08:59 PM).

Hi, so I've been trying to win the master rank of all the contests. Starting with Cool, I've been trying to max out my Mareep(To get the red scarf from the guy in Pastoria City). I've been making poffins with Enigma berries, but the pokemon's sheen is full before the pkmn is maxed out.

I know how to perfectly cook poffins, that a pokemon can only eat up to 255 in sheen,etc.

Keeping that in mind, here are my questions:
1. What berries are spiciest?
2. What spicy berries have the best smooth to level ratio?
3. How can I obtain these berries?
4. What other things can I do to win the contests?

Thank you!!!
Old June 3rd, 2013 (09:38 PM).
ModeratorCS

Hi there mad4mareeps, I'll just quickly go ahead and move this into the 4th Gen Help Thread where questions asking for assistance belong. 8)

[ Moved ]
Old June 4th, 2013 (04:32 AM). Edited June 4th, 2013 by Elaitenstile.
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Quote originally posted by mad4mareeps:
Hi, so I've been trying to win the master rank of all the contests. Starting with Cool, I've been trying to max out my Mareep(To get the red scarf from the guy in Pastoria City). I've been making poffins with Enigma berries, but the pokemon's sheen is full before the pkmn is maxed out.

I know how to perfectly cook poffins, that a pokemon can only eat up to 255 in sheen,etc.

Keeping that in mind, here are my questions:
1. What berries are spiciest?
2. What spicy berries have the best smooth to level ratio?
3. How can I obtain these berries?
4. What other things can I do to win the contests?

Thank you!!!
I think the best rated berry for Spice is the Spelon Berry. I think there's a better one, but I'm not sure. It's because if you start from square one, in about 5 perfect-poffin feeds the Pokémon maxes out. I don't know about the smooth to level ratio, but I think it'll do the trick.
You can obtain it randomly from the Berry Master, along with four other cool berries which you should note:
Durin Berry
Pamtre Berry
Belue Berry
Watmel Berry

Rapidly grow these berries, quick! They'll help you out.

Other things to do include, improve your dancing skills. Although the move stage is the most points giver, it will hurt your ranking if you can't dance well. I once lost a close contest because my dancing was worse.

Try to get exotic dress-up items that can improve your point score.

And... get the right moves. THE ABSOLUTELY BEST COMBINATION. Things like Rain Dance + Water Beauty Move tend to stand out as a good combination. You should also keep a move such as Quick Attack, so you'll tend to get extra points if you move first.

Then: use them at the right judge, at the right time. Just estimate where everyone's gonna pool in their moves, and try to get the 'jackpot', or all stars shine on a judge.

Retry a few times. It's also sometimes about luck, so don't look down if you've lost your first!

EDIT : Forgot to mention. You can also get this berry (with much lower chance) as a random pickup after walking 200 steps in the Amity Square... or that whatever in Hearthome.
Old June 7th, 2013 (07:23 AM).
Reciprocator

Nature: Sassy
This is my first post, so forgive me if I've put it in the wrong forum. After previewing the list of catagories, I wasn't sure exactly where to put it.

I have a dilemma, and I'm hoping someone can give me some good advice.

I recently started Soul Silver and have captured Lugia (it is still sitting on my game, UNsaved). It has the preferred nature, Timid, and great defensive IVs: 30HP, 28 Def, 31 SpDef. However, his SpAtk and Speed are terrible ... both coming in at a whopping 3-5 IVs.

In reading various Pokemon related articles, I understand SPEED to be the number one attribute in today's metagame. Obviously, this Lugia is severly lacking in that respect. His base 110 Speed stat, paired with a Timid nature, is respectable ... but is that enough? As well, his special attacks aren't very powerful as is, and there is no added bonus there via nature or IVs.
Do I keep it or ditch it and try for a better speed IV? If keeping it is the better option, what would be the best way to play him?

Thanks for your input!
WHT2 FC: 3998 5548 3238 Elvira
Old June 7th, 2013 (07:34 PM).
ModeratorCS

Hey there plumbgirlie, I'll just go ahead and move this into the Fourth Gen Help Thread. That way, there's more of a chance you'll find someone with the knowledge to lend you some help. 8)

[ Moved ]
Old June 8th, 2013 (09:27 AM).

Hi guys! Yesterday I started playing Diamond on my new DS lite (love it!) but i thought that Pokemon Diamond is the ultimate director's cut edition, as it turn's out it is not. Should i start over in Platinum? I played for more than five hours, I'm very close to second badge, my starter (fire) is on lvl 21 i also have staravia at 18. I play on Acekard 2i so if you have any idea about transfering save ar pokemons without another player it would be great
Thanks.
Old June 8th, 2013 (10:47 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

I don't have any idea about the transferring stuff...but I would play Diamond, then Platinum. Diamond's a fine game in its own right and you've already nearly got two badges. Platinum introduces enough changes to make it worth you while, and you can easily get a completely different team in it, particularly with the expanded pokédex.
Old June 8th, 2013 (10:54 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Hmm...all of the sets here do utilise its speed and have special attacks: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lugia

However if you're playing a defensive set you don't need to worry as much about the special attack, and you could put a few more EVs into speed at the expense of another stat. Or, if its still unsaved (if it is, I admire your dedication), you could try for better IVs. You'll probably be waiting a while though :)
Old June 8th, 2013 (03:46 PM).
You Crystal Clods!
Crystal Tier

My advice would definitely play Platinum, Diamond and Pearl were really inferior in terms of speed and Pokedex distribution (only 2 Fire-type families before E4, what?) while Platinum fixes those problems and also has much better Pokedex variety. And the storyline is slightly different, but the extra Pokemon in Platinum's Pokedex allows for more flexible team building.

So yeah, you should play Platinum because you'll be pretty satisfied with it in the end.
Old June 8th, 2013 (04:53 PM).
ModeratorCS

Definitely go with Platinum. It's a vastly improved version of Diamond and Pearl with a variety of added features. You're only up to the second badge, which is no way near half-way so It'd be only common sense for you to start over in Platinum. In saying that though, it's totally up to you! As long as you're having fun, that's the main thing!

Anyway, I'll quickly move this over to the 4th Gen Help Thread. If you have any future questions regarding the Fourth Generation of games, feel more than welcome to post them in there.

[ Moved ]
Old June 9th, 2013 (07:24 AM).
Weavile

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Skype™ to BlueEon
So, people, this thread is all about the resort area. Ask questions, answer, or just discuss. etc. etc. Blah blah blah.

I have two questions- What after we get the villla and furniture? Does it stay like that or can we shift our mom there or something. Why do we even get it?
The ribbon club thingy- It tells me to get ribbons, but what kind of ribbons? Contest ribbons, footprint ribbons or story ribbons (From the girl in Sunyshore.) How do I become a memeber or go inside the building?

Come on, take a walk on the wild side
Let me kiss you hard in the pouring rain
You like your girls insane
Choose your last words, this is the last time
Cause you and I, we were born to die.
Old June 9th, 2013 (11:36 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

All ribbons count. Best way to get access is to transfer a pokémon from Gen III that has contest ribbons, effort ribbon, champion ribbon, then get the ribbons from the girl in Sunnyshore. I say best, as in easiest as in my opinion at least contests are easier in Gen III, particularly if you meet the Pokéblock Master dude.
And the purpose of the villa is just to show how successful you are, it seems like you probably need over $1,000,000 to get all the furniture xD and certain pieces of furniture unlock new people to visit you...yes, I think "mom" does visit at some point.
Old June 9th, 2013 (06:54 PM).
ModeratorCS

I think this thread is labelled a 'discussion thread' just to account for your questions. In saying that, I'll move this over to the 4th Gen Help Thread. You're more than welcome to make a topic about the Resot Area, just be wary that all questions relating to the 4th Generation Games belongs in the abovementioned thread. 8)

[ Moved ]
Old June 11th, 2013 (10:18 AM).

I am trying to calculate the power of my Alakazam's Hidden Power. I'm trying to use all of the IV calculators/Hidden Power calculators and they keep saying my Alakazam is invalid because its stats don't fit the range. I didn't intentionally EV train it at all. How can I find out the EVs my Pokemon has? All I really want to know is its Hidden Power power, but I apparently can't even find its IVs because it's invalid, because of its effort values which I didn't even intentionally give to it. Here is the stats of my Alakazam in case someone could possibly help me with this. My Alakazam is 100% legit; I didn't hack it in or anything. I caught it as Abra at level 5.

Male Alakazam, lv 52, Diamond.
Lax nature, July 16, 2012
Route 203
Met at lv. 5. Mischevious, likes sour food.
HP: 132
Atk: 79
Def: 69
S.Atk: 166
S.Def: 98
Spd: 150

I just don't understand. The only thing I really want is to figure out the power of its Hidden Power, I've already figured out it's Rock. I really don't care about its IVs or EVs, but I need them for all the Hidden Power calculators I can find online, but it keeps saying it's invalid. UGH!
Old June 11th, 2013 (11:45 AM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by pokem0nprincess:
I am trying to calculate the power of my Alakazam's Hidden Power. I'm trying to use all of the IV calculators/Hidden Power calculators and they keep saying my Alakazam is invalid because its stats don't fit the range. I didn't intentionally EV train it at all. How can I find out the EVs my Pokemon has? All I really want to know is its Hidden Power power, but I apparently can't even find its IVs because it's invalid, because of its effort values which I didn't even intentionally give to it. Here is the stats of my Alakazam in case someone could possibly help me with this. My Alakazam is 100% legit; I didn't hack it in or anything. I caught it as Abra at level 5.

Male Alakazam, lv 52, Diamond.
Lax nature, July 16, 2012
Route 203
Met at lv. 5. Mischevious, likes sour food.
HP: 132
Atk: 79
Def: 69
S.Atk: 166
S.Def: 98
Spd: 150

I just don't understand. The only thing I really want is to figure out the power of its Hidden Power, I've already figured out it's Rock. I really don't care about its IVs or EVs, but I need them for all the Hidden Power calculators I can find online, but it keeps saying it's invalid. UGH!
Keep feeding Alakazam EV-reducing berries until every kind has no effect, then you'll know it has no EVs and can calculate it.
Old June 11th, 2013 (06:09 PM).

Eh... that sounds like quite a bit more work than I want to deal with. Is that the only way?
Old June 11th, 2013 (07:05 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by pokem0nprincess:
Eh... that sounds like quite a bit more work than I want to deal with. Is that the only way?
Upload it onto PokéCheck and it'll give you all the information you could want.
Old June 12th, 2013 (08:19 PM).
Fallen

Nature: Lonely
What are some good tips to take second place in the bug catching contest? I'd like the everstone for my skiploom but I tend to either win or not place at all.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)