Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation
Reload this Page 4th Gen Help Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Old June 12th, 2013 (08:50 PM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super Moderator

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Quote:
What are some good tips to take second place in the bug catching contest? I'd like the everstone for my skiploom but I tend to either win or not place at all.
How you go is based on the level, species rarity and HP it was caught at (as in, how much HP remaining of its max HP). (Which is why some people can win with a level 18 Catepie, for example). Try playing with those factors in mind.

Also note that if you hatch Togepi from that egg you can get an Everstone from Elm.
Old June 13th, 2013 (07:57 PM).
Fallen

Nature: Lonely
I completely forgot about the everstone from Elm, I haven't showed him the togepi for years since I am in Azelea by the time I hatch it.

Old June 22nd, 2013 (10:59 AM).
Pkmn Trainer SS Goku

Nature: Careful
Next question:

You know how when you trade pokemon to another game, that pokemon will get extra exp points per battle...Well if you were to get that same pokemon back, would it still get the extra exp? In other words, if you trade a pkmn with yourself and trade that same pkmn back, would that pkmn get the extra exp points with the OT?
Old June 22nd, 2013 (05:22 PM).
give me the words
CS

Nature: Mild
This just barely belongs in the 4th Gen Help Thread, so I'm going to move it into there. Next time I'd suggest posting your rquests for team help here or here depending on whether your team is built for competitive or in-game purposes.

[ Moved ]
Old June 22nd, 2013 (05:41 PM).
The Kalos Queen
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by kingfor6:
Next question:

You know how when you trade pokemon to another game, that pokemon will get extra exp points per battle...Well if you were to get that same pokemon back, would it still get the extra exp? In other words, if you trade a pkmn with yourself and trade that same pkmn back, would that pkmn get the extra exp points with the OT?
No, trading a Pokemon back to the game it was originally obtained in would not gain the extra EXP.
Old June 26th, 2013 (11:31 PM).

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
I need help regarding cheats for Platinum. Where do I ask this question???
Old June 29th, 2013 (01:16 PM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

I have a question (Shocker, normally I provide the answers xD) about move tutor moves.

In Platinum, I can tutor Luxray Signal Beam and Superpower, among others. If I were to transfer my Luxray (once I get it), teach them moves than transfer it back to Diamond, would that work? Or would the game not recognise its capability to learn said moves?
Old June 29th, 2013 (06:13 PM).

Quote originally posted by Amore:
I have a question (Shocker, normally I provide the answers xD) about move tutor moves.

In Platinum, I can tutor Luxray Signal Beam and Superpower, among others. If I were to transfer my Luxray (once I get it), teach them moves than transfer it back to Diamond, would that work? Or would the game not recognise its capability to learn said moves?

yea of course, man. pokemon games seem to not really worry too much about a pokemon's moves, even if they werent possible at that time. so if you teach a move in platinum and trade it to diamond, itll be all good. in fact, you can even hack pokemon and teach them illegal moves (e.g., teach your luxray roar of time) and itll be completely fine. you MIGHT not be able to take these illegal moves into online matches, but they work in games like battle revolution
Old June 30th, 2013 (02:10 AM). Edited June 30th, 2013 by Roh.

Nature: Rash
Not necessarily the Pokemon themselves, but what types would be best for a rerun of HGSS? I want to keep my starter, and I don't want any HM tools, I want to be able to use all my Pokemon equally and fairly.

Edit: Of course specific pokemon suggestions are perfectly appreciated too
Old June 30th, 2013 (02:29 AM).
give me the words
CS

There's a wide range of great Pokémon for you to catch and use. Type-wise and in general, I'd say ensure you capture dual-typed Pokémon. Thus obviously, you'll be able to cover a wide range of types and weaknesses. You can also cover a lot more types if you allow your Pokémon to learn a diverse move pool. Instead of saying, have three bug-type moves, teach your Pokémon a normal, bug, fighting and say...a steel type move.

Anyway, I'll move this over to the 4th Gen Help Thread. Next time, if you have a quick question to ask, post it there. That way, you'll get helpful responses quicker.

[ Moved ]
Old June 30th, 2013 (01:05 PM).
Where's The Frigging Ditto?

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gooner_Tyzack
Any tips on what to do now? I've just come out of the seaform islands with my newly caught Articuno, just wondering, where i should go now? Maybe a good spot to train up my pokemon to take on the next gym leader etc?
Old June 30th, 2013 (04:36 PM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Therizinosaurus:
yea of course, man. pokemon games seem to not really worry too much about a pokemon's moves, even if they werent possible at that time. so if you teach a move in platinum and trade it to diamond, itll be all good. in fact, you can even hack pokemon and teach them illegal moves (e.g., teach your luxray roar of time) and itll be completely fine. you MIGHT not be able to take these illegal moves into online matches, but they work in games like battle revolution
Cheers :)

Quote originally posted by Roh:
Not necessarily the Pokemon themselves, but what types would be best for a rerun of HGSS? I want to keep my starter, and I don't want any HM tools, I want to be able to use all my Pokemon equally and fairly.

Edit: Of course specific pokemon suggestions are perfectly appreciated too
As Curious. said, double-typed pokémon are good. I'd suggest either two water-types (there's 3 water HMs, all of which are needed at some point), or one water-type and something capable of learning Surf (and ideally doing some damage with it) such as a Dragon, Hariyama etc.
And if you don't mind me suggesting a starter: Feraligatr. Personally not my favourite, but definitely the best one for the game, for numerous reasons such as: being water-type, diverse movepool (Ice moves are really useful after all).
Old June 30th, 2013 (09:19 PM).
give me the words
CS

Quick questions belong in the 4th Gen Help Thread.

[ Moved ]
Old July 3rd, 2013 (08:48 AM).
Where's The Frigging Ditto?

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gooner_Tyzack
Can anyone advise me on a good place to train my pokemon to take on the last gym leader? (16)
Old July 4th, 2013 (11:10 PM).
Nyeh?
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote originally posted by Gooner_Tyzack:
Can anyone advise me on a good place to train my pokemon to take on the last gym leader? (16)
Unfortunately, the best place you can train at your point in the game is in Victory Road (assuming you're about to battle Blue next).

Old July 5th, 2013 (11:25 AM).

No one answered me on my post so ill post here, looking for a final pokemon to get, here are the pokemon i have all at lvl 45 Pikachu, Drifblim, Alakazam, Whiscash, and Infernape

Open to any suggestions
Old July 6th, 2013 (03:11 AM).

Hi all,

I am playing pokémon Heart Gold(best PKMN game there is imo) and I am almost ready to go and face Red. Yesterday I transfered my Charmander from Fire Red to my Heart Gold and know I am wondering...

When I am leveling a pokemon, I usaully go to the place with the strongest pokemon. Then I put the pokemon I need to be trained in the first slot, and then when battling I switch it out. But when I do this, will it be less strong or will it be the same as gradually levelling it??
Old July 6th, 2013 (04:38 AM).
colour swapper!

Nature: Jolly
It will be the same as gradually leveling it up
Old July 7th, 2013 (10:49 PM).

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Quote originally posted by KingJay7:
No one answered me on my post so ill post here, looking for a final pokemon to get, here are the pokemon i have all at lvl 45 Pikachu, Drifblim, Alakazam, Whiscash, and Infernape

Open to any suggestions
It is entirely upto your choice but seeing your team has not any Dragon type, you should catch one...
Old July 8th, 2013 (06:12 PM).

Where's the best place to grow berries in Sinnoh? In Emerald the best I've found is the berry garden near the Berry Master's house. Is there anything like this in Sinnoh?
Old July 8th, 2013 (06:31 PM).
The Kalos Queen
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by pokem0nprincess:
Where's the best place to grow berries in Sinnoh? In Emerald the best I've found is the berry garden near the Berry Master's house. Is there anything like this in Sinnoh?
I recommend any of the soft soil patches that can grow four Berries at once.

For a full list on locations, look here and see the "Sinnoh" section. You'll find some good locations there.
Old July 10th, 2013 (12:33 PM).
Yep, that tasted purple.
Platinum Tier

Nature: Timid
I can't seem to be able to wrap my mind around Honey Trees. I read about them but things are still unclear. Will I always find the same pokemon on the same tree? How do the Munchlax trees work?

"The best path between two points is upside-down, between, then inside-out and round again."
Old July 10th, 2013 (02:27 PM).
The Kalos Queen
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by KagamiChan:
I can't seem to be able to wrap my mind around Honey Trees. I read about them but things are still unclear. Will I always find the same pokemon on the same tree? How do the Munchlax trees work?
The Pokemon found in the Honey Trees are different in every location, and as for Munchlax, it is found on four of these trees, and these four trees it can be found in are designated on every different save file. They have a 1% encounter rate, which makes them extremely rare.

If you think they're too hard to find, you could alternatively request someone to trade you one in the Trade Corner section here on PC.

For more information on Honey as well as the full list of Honey Tree locations in Sinnoh, click here.
Old July 10th, 2013 (09:18 PM). Edited July 11th, 2013 by TwilightBlade.

Hi, just a quick question. Do you guys have any tips of good starting strategies in SS? Picking a starting Pokemon and strategies to get good ones early?

Hi, I'm starting my game tomorrow and I was just wondering what would be the best way to level up fast and early? Any good leveling up strategies going into the 7th and 8th badges?
Old July 11th, 2013 (07:52 PM).
Protect his very soul.
Super Moderator
BS
CS

@nvbarnes, your posts were moved into the 4th gen help thread. You could play through the game and decide for yourself which Pokemon is great in battle, but here is my advice.

To train quickly, get an exp share (you'll gain access to that around after encountering the Red Gyarados). Return to the person who gave you the mystery egg to get the exp share. Another option is to trade in Pokemon that aren't your OT - they'll get boosted exp.

Starter Pokemon
Cyndaquil - Great choice. Good special attack and speed. His movepoll is quite shallow, but he does learn useful moves like Flame Wheel and Lava Plume quite early. I like teaching mine Dig/Earthquake too.

Totodile - Another good choice. He has balanced stats and learns a powerful Surf/Waterfall through HM. He also acquires Ice Fang and Crunch quite early.

Chikorita - A poor choice, for me. His offensive stats are low and he works better at defending or supporting, often unnecessary in-game. Offensive is the way to go... While he acquires Razor Leaf and Magical Leaf, grass type moves aren't effective against many enemies (Team Rocket uses poison types).

Good Early Pokemon
Mareep - He is quite bulky and learns powerful electric moves. He also picks up Signal Beam and Power Gem, which can help you cover more type advantages.

Nidoran Male or Female - Both can learn a number of TMs. If you happen to find a Moon Stone, you could have a fully evolved Pokemon by level 16.

Scyther - He has great attack and speed, and if you happen to catch one having the ability Technician, he will benefit from having a boosted Quick Attack, Aerial Ace, Wing Attack, and so on.

Zubat - Another speedy Pokemon. His final evolution is very fast and can deal a chunk of damage with either physical or special attacks.

Growlithe - If you happen to not choose Cyndaquil, this one is a viable option. He will learn strong fire type moves in level 30s as well. He can also get (as Arcanine, level 39) Extremespeed.

Vaporeon/Chinchou/Marill - Good balanced water types if you don't use Totodile. If you want to evolve your Eevee into something else, I consider Espeon and Jolteon to be quite powerful.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links