The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Restarted the Platinum. This is a side project, and I may not even finish it, but I'll try to beat the game again. 4th gen slow speed makes me drowsy, but nice special effects for moves are appreciated.

Leonardo the Grotle L26
Mufasa the Luxio L24

Yes, I chose something other than Infernape this time. It was because I wanted to use Houndoom later on. Turtwig is quite good despite his bad nature (mine is Bold), and I wanted to give him a companion as soon as possible so I caught a Shinx with Intimidate because Luxray is boss.

Relevant fights... Roark was easy, I used Curse a few times and swept him with Leonardo. Grotle was also the star against Mars, Razor Leaf did the job against Purugly. Finally, against Gardenia I pumped Leonardo a little more with Curse. I Cursed four times against her Turtwig and used Bite to sweep her Pokémon. I'm a hipster so I don't use Staraptor and this is why I had a little trouble with Gardenia, but she never even touched me so it was all good.

I saved after the gym battle in Eterna.

One thing I hear a lot about 4th gen is that it's slow. It definitely is, but, in terms of playtime, I find it to be pretty similar to the other games. I reached Gardenia at the 3:30 mark, which was rather quick considering I had to grind Mufasa a little after I caught it and therefore reached Roark a little later than usual. Once I beat it, I'll compare to the other games. I beat Black in 20:00 and Black 2 in 30:00, and those are very fast-paced games.

Gamefreak, if you ever read this, I want to know why you troll Pidgeot. Talonflame has Gale Wings, Staraptor has good stats and Close Combat, Swellow has Guts, even freaking Fearow has Drill Run. And you troll Pidgeot with Big Pecks, Hurricane, and 10 measly base Speed points. Why, Gamefreak? Is the original bird not good enough for you?
Old September 8th, 2013, 01:39 PM
encas
Don't tread on me.

Nature: Quirky
Ever since my last post, I have made lots of progress in Heart Gold, beating the Elite Four. Right now, I am training some of my team members on Route 44, having just backtracked and received Tyrogue from the Karate King.

Kenta the Tyrogue (Jolly male, Lv. 12)

Arco the Ho-Oh (Impish, Lv. 47)

Betty the Donphan (Impish female, Lv. 48)

Earl the Kingdra (Timid male, Lv. 51)

Cleo the Xatu (Timid female, Lv. 48)

Platinum FC: 4297 2075 6241
Old September 10th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Current roster:

Leonardo the Torterra L32
Mufasa the Luxray L31

I was quite surprised to learn Grotle evolves at L32 because it evolves so late from Turtwig that I really thought he would evolve at L36 like Monferno does. But who cares, earlier is better, and he learns Earthquake with the level up too.

What I did today was one of the most boring parts of the game: the path to Hearthome City. Before, I beat Jupiter in the Eterna Hideout. It was scary because I decided to leave Leonardo against Skuntank and, even though I had a few Curses up my belt, Razor Leaf wasn't enough to take him down. So Mufasa had to save the day. Anyway, this part of the game is boring because there's the path to Wayward Cave and it takes quite a while to explore. I found Mira and funnily enough she was the one doing the killing because Kadabra was faster than both my Pokémon and one-shotted most things easily. After saving her from the darkness I went into the secret entrance, solved the puzzle and earned TM26 Earthquake, which I'm not gonna use.

I saved at Hearthome City. Luckily Fantina isn't too hard, although Torterra's main weapon (Earthquake) is useless against her.

Gamefreak, if you ever read this, I want to know why you troll Pidgeot. Talonflame has Gale Wings, Staraptor has good stats and Close Combat, Swellow has Guts, even freaking Fearow has Drill Run. And you troll Pidgeot with Big Pecks, Hurricane, and 10 measly base Speed points. Why, Gamefreak? Is the original bird not good enough for you?
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Cat

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Cat
So in preperation for Pokémon X & Y I decided to transfer my team from Heart Gold onto my White version and start a whole new game! I've already planned my team out which has a diverse mix of typings and I'm looking forward to seeing how this team develops.

So I just did the tutorial routines, i.e Choosing my Pokémon, meeting Mr. Pokémon, battling my Rival etc.

My team is currentlyyy;

Krakatoa ~ Lv. 7
Iris ~ Lv. 6
Spyder ~ Lv. 4

Meh I'm not very creative with nicknames but oh well, onwards with the journey!

Old September 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Two team additions!

Leonardo the Torterra L37
Mufasa the Luxray L37
Spartacus the Kirlia L30
Nero the Houndoom L34

From the nickname, it's fairly obvious I'm going to evolve Kirlia into a Gallade, right? So he's staying at L30 until I find the Dawn Stone, which should be near Pastoria City.

The only important battle I had was against Fantina, and it was too easy. Mufasa soloed the gym brilliantly, OHKOing every single of Fantina's Pokémon. After that I beat the rival, which was easy since his team is fairly manageable.

I spent some time getting Spartacus to L30 then moved to Veilstone City. Once arriving there, I set out to catch a male Houndour (don't like the females of this species) with Flash Fire (because Early Bird sucks). It took a while because there seemed to be a Graveler outbreak, as well as the fact every male Houndour I found wanted to use Roar on me. This is a thing 5th gen fixed: the wild Pokémon can't use Roar on you to end the battle. But in 4th gen it's still difficult to catch Pokémon like Growlithe and Houndour because of this.

The third Houndour I caught had the requirements, so I trained it to a reasonable level. Next time I'll attack the Veilstone Gym, which should be easy since I'm overleveled and Leonardo can destroy Maylene's Lucario with Earthquake.

Ok I'm in Pastoria.

Leonardo the Torterra L40
Mufasa the Luxray L40
Spartacus the Gallade L40
Nero the Houndoom L40

Everyone and their grandma names their Houndoom "Cerberus". I found a name that's more fitting and way more creative.

Battles of note, the Maylene gym battle was, once again, very easy. I don't even remember how it went because it was so ridiculously easy I didn't even bother with strategy. Leonardo was used against Lucario and OHKOed with Earthquake.

Now I'm facing a problem because I don't know which Pokémon I'm going to use in the two remaining slots. I wanted a Flying-type and a Water-type. Gyarados fills the shoes nicely, but Gyarados is in every game... I don't want to repeat types, so Quagsire, Whiscash and Gastrodon are out (Torterra is already Ground-type). Milotic is too difficult to find and too difficult to evolve (needs Poffins). Vaporeon is boring. Seaking, Lumineon, Pelipper are all weak. Mantine is found too late in the game. Really, I've narrowed down my choices to two Pokémon, which I've never used: Octillery and Floatzel. I think Floatzel is better, but it also can't take a hit. Octillery is slower but learns better moves. Inb4 lolBibarel

Floatzel has a "cool" factor: a gym leader uses it as the main Pokémon. Doesn't help its cause much because the likes of Pidgeot and Zebstrika are also used by gym leaders as their main Pokémon, but it's something it has over Octillery (at least to me).

As for Flying-types, my choices are extremely limited. Platinum doesn't have Honchkrow, which I'd use otherwise (although not in this run since I already have Houndoom as a Dark-type). I'm a hipster so I don't use Staraptor. My Togepi was born with Hustle, so Togekiss is a no-no. Noctowl is too weak. Mothim and Vespiquen require Honey and are therefore worthless for a playthrough. Crobat would be a good choice... Except I want to use Crobat in HG and I don't want to repeat Pokémon in both games. Drifblim learns crap moves.

My options, therefore: Yanmega and Altaria. I'm almost leaning towards Altaria because Yanma is too hard to catch in that wretched Safari Zone of doom, but I like Yanmega more and I think it could be more useful than Altaria in the long run, because, well, Altaria learns no strong Flying-type moves by level up.

Last edited by Cerberus87; September 14th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:37 AM
kosuke
Extraterrestrial DNA

Send a message via Skype™ to kosuke
Platinum Update
  • caught a Drifloon @ Valley Windworks
  • defeated Gardenia

My Team
Twist, the Lv28 Grotle
Drift, the Lv26 Drifloon

that's pretty much like it.
Old September 16th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

The team is complete! No more grinding! At least until E4.

Leonardo the Torterra L43
Mufasa the Luxray L43
Spartacus the Gallade L42
Nero the Houndoom L42
I.M.Weasel the Floatzel L42
Brundle the Yanmega L42

Really, training Brundle was a chore. He doesn't learn any good moves until very high levels, so I'm having to make do with Pursuit and Ancientpower.

I caught a bunch of Pokémon at the Great Marsh and cleared the area of items. Later on, I battled the rival, who at this point in the game is quite easy since I assaulted him with fully-evolved Pokémon while his own Pokémon are not. Crasher Wake would be more difficult, though not for me since Mufasa and Leonardo made him tap out quickly.

Next I'll tackle Route 212 before moving to Celestic Town.

Last edited by Cerberus87; September 16th, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old September 16th, 2013, 05:31 AM
kosuke
Extraterrestrial DNA

Send a message via Skype™ to kosuke
Platinum Update once again...

Adventure Log (only super major events)
  • Drift evolved into Drifblim
  • Twist evolved into Torterra
  • defeated the Ghost-type gym leader...forgot her name.
  • defeated rival
  • defeated the Fighting-type gym leader...also forgot her name.
  • added a new team member: Skull the Houndour

Current Team
Twist, the Lv42 Torterra
Drift, the Lv40 Drifblim
Skull, the Lv23 Houndour (on the process of grinding her)
Old September 24th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin

So in a little downtime at Uni I've been playing HeartGold - I only brought my DSi so had to halt my progress through LeafGreen.
I'm currently at Goldenrod City, preparing to challenge Whitney - pokémon's most irritating gym leader (or major opponent, for that matter, as she annoys me more than May).
So, here's the team as of present, about half-assembled:

Quilava
Male
Lv. 20
Hardy nature
holds Charcoal
Blaze ability
attacks: Quick Attack / Cut / Smokescreen / Flame Wheel

Mew
Genderless
Lv. 17
Rash nature
Synchronize ability
attacks: Pound / Mega Punch / Flash / Rock Smash

Poliwag
Male
Lv. 19
Rash nature
Water Absorb ability
attacks: Rain Dance / Headbutt / Hypnosis / Water Gun

Spiky-eared Pichu
Female
Lv. 30
Naughty nature
holds a Zap Plate
Static ability
attacks: Helping Hand / Volt Tackle / Swagger / Pain Split

Three of them four will most likely enter the Hall of Fame, although that could be a while as I have no way of obtaining a Politoed. Pichu will probably find herself replaced later on, but could return in Kanto.
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:15 PM
«Chuckles»
KANEDA!

Nature: Brave

The Adventure of Tai
-
Pokémon Soul Silver

September-25-2013 A legacy begins

Well, since I just got back into playing Pokemon on the DS I have decided to start with... Pokemon Soul Silver.

I begin the game with a strange man asking me strange questions...

My Name is Tai, I am a young boy with black hair, a cool yellow and black hat and a red jumper. I live in New Bark Town, I have no idea where Old Bark Town is.

I am sitting in front of my computer, it's a laptop I just finished raiding on WoW.

I run down stairs and my mother traps me in a corner telling me I am awake, she gives me some menu options.

I leave the house and a Marill corner's me it exlcaims and runs back to it's trainer.

I walk into the fancy looking lab and the bald guy tells me to walk with pokemon and gives me a choice of 3 spectacular pokemon and tells me that I need to meet a Mr. Pokemon.

I choose Totodile and name it "Teeth" since it has a powerful jaw. As soon as we leave the screen it pops out and jumps behind me.

Dr. Elm says some jibberish I try to leave when a guy gives me potions .

As soon as I leave that stereotypical friend gives me a friendship speech before telling me to see my...

MOTHER

She gives me my phone that she expects me to use.

I am about to leave the town when suddenly... a wierd man is standing at the window looking into the lab, I think he has gingeritus.

Adventure is nigh I begin my destiny into route 29

PairMy Let's PlayTumblrAnime ListFriend Code
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Tombo

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tombo Send a message via Yahoo to Tombo Send a message via Skype™ to Tombo
I just dropped my DS on the floor so I have lost saved progress which sucks, I guess it is a reminder for me to save regularly.

3DS friend code: 1478-4001-3509

I would love to link up with people so PM me today!

It's a whole new way to see,
It's a whole new place,
With a brand new attitude
But you still gotta catch 'em all
And be the best that you can be!
Old November 26th, 2013, 02:04 PM
AkameTheBulbasaur
Akame Marukawa of Iyotono

As I sit to pen this, it is snack time for my current team. We spent the better half of the last hour in Hearthome city making manifold flavors of Poffin. We're not serious about contests, but we do enjoy participating occasionally. My last team had an Articuno named Kouri who was well on her way to winning the master rank, but that's irrelevant.
We had a conversation during snack time about the Elite Four. I recalled that with my first team, it was very difficult. My Empoleon Poseidon did pretty much all the work. He was around lv.70 and almost everyone else was less than level 50. I still think it's a miracle that I won.
Anyway, we're nowhere near that point yet. Everyone's still less than lv.30. We have a full team now though, which is a step. This is the lineup:

Clyde the (shiny) Gligar lv.27

Griknot (pronounced GREE-no, it's French for Gible) the Gabite (eventually Garchomp) lv.28

Bea the Nidoqueen lv.27

Nick the Nidoking lv.27

Lucille the Rotom lv.27

Nolan the Drifblim lv.28

We're nowhere near getting our gold ranks (our term for beating the Elite Four) yet, but we've been making a solid effort. Everyone's getting along great, and training hasn't been too difficult yet. Snack time's about over, time to do a little more training, and maybe a contest or too.
"The human sacrificed himself, to save the Pokemon. I pitted them against each other, but not until they set aside their differences did I see the true power they all share deep inside. I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo

Last edited by AkameTheBulbasaur; November 26th, 2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old December 19th, 2013, 02:04 PM
White Mage
ノクティス

Nature: Timid

Keyblade's Pearl Adventure

So I just decided, with Pokemon Bank/Transporter being released soon, I should begin to collect Pokemon from past generations that I can trade to Black/White to be transferred to X and Y. And what better game to start with than Pearl? Platinum would make for a faster playthrough, but I'm also replaying Pearl for the nostalgia.Without further ado, let's get this started.

-----

The journey begins with Prof. Rowan asking me basic questions, although he really should be able to tell my gender by now.

I start in my room. I have a Wii there. I should upgrade it to a Wii U soon. Walking downstairs, my mother tells me that Barry is looking for me. Apparently it's an emergency.

I leave my house and go meet Barry at his house. He makes the decision for us to go Lake Verity to catch a legendary Pokemon. I don't own any Pokemon of my own, so that's definitely not happening. Then he threatens me with a 10 million dollar fine if I'm late. That jerk...

At the lake, Prof. Rowan and his assistant Dawn are just leaving. They leave behind a briefcase by accident. Checking it out, Barry and I are attacked by Starly! Somehow, the case pops open, revealing three Pokeballs. I choose one at random and send out a Chimchar to fight off the Starly.

Afterwards, Barry and I visit Sandgem Town to return the Pokemon. Instead, Rowan gives us the Pokemon and a Pokedex, telling us to catch every Pokemon ever. Yeah right.

Dawn teaches me how to catch a Pokemon, which I thought was common knowledge among trainers these days, and I catch a Shinx.

Spiral

Sparx

to be continued...

Formerly Keyblade/Ðelta
Old December 27th, 2013, 08:37 AM
EB
Re: World

Nature: Calm
So I decided to restart my HG version last night since I'd traded all its pokemon to another game anyway. SO GUESS WHAT MY FIRST ENCOUNTER WAS.

Spoiler:

Soon after my disbelief faded, I was flooded with dread:

NO POKEBALLS YET.

I literally sat for five whole minutes in mental agony. To rub salt in the wound, this was reminiscent of my first ever shiny in Gold version years ago. Oh, what could have been.

*dies in corner*
Old January 8th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Tombo

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tombo Send a message via Yahoo to Tombo Send a message via Skype™ to Tombo
I'm playing Platinum, I recently caught Giratina and now I am capturing Uxie.

I have a Porygon 2 and now I have the dubious disc I can upgrade him to Porygon Z so I will do that soon.

I am also preparing for the eighth gym which is my next thing to do :D

3DS friend code: 1478-4001-3509

I would love to link up with people so PM me today!

It's a whole new way to see,
It's a whole new place,
With a brand new attitude
But you still gotta catch 'em all
And be the best that you can be!
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:53 PM
TheMarkCrafter
if pc's bad then end else quit

Nature: Serious

Pokemon Platinum - Mark's Attempt

My team:

Today:

Went to Iron Island and met with Riley.

Found a Shiny Stone and used it on Togetic to evolve into Togekiss.

Went to Route 215 and picked TM34 (Shock Wave) and taught it to Togekiss.

Went to Move Tutor and taught Togekiss Sky Attack & Aura Sphere.

Went training for the 6th gym in Canalave -- Byron.

While training in Iron Island -- I was about to rage. GOLBATS SPAM WITH CONFUSE RAAAAAAY D:<
But I don't know
how to code
I am Unpaired.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links