The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:21 PM
FRANKTANK

I was going to go celebrate getting my first paycheck by blowing most of it on food but this seems even better! (And less costly)

EDIT: So when I try patching it, this comes up:

Last edited by FRANKTANK; August 2nd, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:41 PM
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Okay, I played the new patch up to the first gym and, while this is very promising, there is no shortage of little things to nitpick:

Spoiler:

There's no safeguard against the player leaving their name blank, which for anyone else reading this is not a good idea as the ROM will literally scream at you if you look at your trainer card.

This is flagrantly engineered, but the guy should face you when you trigger the events here.

In a similar vein, Mom's position resets if you walk into the kitchen instead of taking your starter, which leads to her going on an adventure through the bookshelf.

I'm not sure why this guy is breaking, but he offers to ferry me into a tree any time I talk to him.

I thought I had a better screenshot of this one, but basically the two grunts blocking the way here appear auto-magically when you step over the area border. It'd be nice if they didn't, or even better, if they just weren't there at all as it doesn't seem like they're blocking anything important.

I know Ledyba is boring but come on, it deserves a backsprite at least ._.

aaaaaaa

(I really like this map, by the way- good job with it)

Is there a DPSS on this ROM? The damage here was a single non-critical Confusion, and experimentation with Intimidate leads me to believe that the game is using physical modifiers for it- in any case it really shouldn't be doing that much to Ledyba's special defense off Meditite's lackluster special attack.

As the player is walking away from the gym is a rather rude time for a forced rival battle :/
I'm assuming you're handling the possibility of the player losing gracefully, but if you aren't, at least shove the battle south so people won't be punished for not sweeping the gym.
(also consider the possibility of fainting from poison in the gym if you haven't- with taillow around there's going to be someone crazy enough to do it)

With regards to the evolution bug, I decided to poke around in a debugger. What's happening is a jump at xD7862 is going to xE7D9DBDA, which, being out of bounds, leads to the game not doing very much. I noticed a bunch of weird changes around there in a hex editor- reverting a couple of them to what they are in vanilla FR made the sequence stop locking up at least.

I'd also like to say that, while this is quite unpolished, the scripting is fairly nice and the writing is well done- I can definitely see that effort went into this.

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:54 PM
mikethepokemaster

Nature: Jolly
for some reason i can't save it always say error but i have on 128k and i tried 68k too afterwards help please!
Old August 3rd, 2013, 08:31 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethepokemaster View Post
for some reason i can't save it always say error but i have on 128k and i tried 68k too afterwards help please!
I'm not sure about this, I can save fine. If push comes to shove, you could always use Save States instead, though I know that's not ideal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKTANK View Post
So when I try patching it, this comes up:

The ROM I'm using is 1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels) and it patches fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay View Post

There's no safeguard against the player leaving their name blank, which for anyone else reading this is not a good idea as the ROM will literally scream at you if you look at your trainer card.
Hm, this is a problem that I'm not too sure how to fix. I think for now I'll leave it, but I'll put in the notes that you have to enter your name.

Quote:

This is flagrantly engineered, but the guy should face you when you trigger the events here.
Thanks, fixed.

Quote:

In a similar vein, Mom's position resets if you walk into the kitchen instead of taking your starter, which leads to her going on an adventure through the bookshelf.
Also fixed.

Quote:

I'm not sure why this guy is breaking, but he offers to ferry me into a tree any time I talk to him.
Fixed.

Quote:

I thought I had a better screenshot of this one, but basically the two grunts blocking the way here appear auto-magically when you step over the area border. It'd be nice if they didn't, or even better, if they just weren't there at all as it doesn't seem like they're blocking anything important.
They were meant to have disappeared by then, it seems they were given the wrong flag. Fixed.

Quote:

I know Ledyba is boring but come on, it deserves a backsprite at least ._.
I don't know what happened to Ledyba but its backsprite was there, just on an altitude so high (or low) that is wasn't visible. Fixed.

Quote:

aaaaaaa

(I really like this map, by the way- good job with it)
Thanks, and I've fixed it.

Quote:

Is there a DPSS on this ROM? The damage here was a single non-critical Confusion, and experimentation with Intimidate leads me to believe that the game is using physical modifiers for it- in any case it really shouldn't be doing that much to Ledyba's special defense off Meditite's lackluster special attack.
I'll have to look into this, but it's not fixed for this patch.
edit: turns out I had half implemented the DPSS. The new patch should include it now.

Quote:

As the player is walking away from the gym is a rather rude time for a forced rival battle :/
I'm assuming you're handling the possibility of the player losing gracefully, but if you aren't, at least shove the battle south so people won't be punished for not sweeping the gym.
(also consider the possibility of fainting from poison in the gym if you haven't- with taillow around there's going to be someone crazy enough to do it)
I've moved it lower, I didn't even consider this.

Quote:

With regards to the evolution bug, I decided to poke around in a debugger. What's happening is a jump at xD7862 is going to xE7D9DBDA, which, being out of bounds, leads to the game not doing very much. I noticed a bunch of weird changes around there in a hex editor- reverting a couple of them to what they are in vanilla FR made the sequence stop locking up at least.
I've seen what you're talking about and I've done what you've done so it should be fixed now but I can't be sure.

Quote:
I'd also like to say that, while this is quite unpolished, the scripting is fairly nice and the writing is well done- I can definitely see that effort went into this.
Thanks. I didn't properly beta test this because I'd undoubtedly miss a lot so I decided to release it untested anyway. Most of the stuff you've found I would've overlooked anyway, so it appears to be more effective. Thanks!

If you're not bored of this hack by now, you can redownload from here.

Last edited by Spherical Ice; August 3rd, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 09:30 AM
FRANKTANK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
The ROM I'm using is 1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels) and it patches fine.
Hmm maybe I have the wrong ROM. I just downloaded the new version so now all I have to do is find the right FireRed ROM and then I'll be able to finally play it. I'll let you know what I think once I do!
Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

I've just updated all the moves from Gen 1 to Gen 3 with the PP, Base Power and Accuracy of their Generation 5 versions, and I have implemented the DPSS properly, although the icons are not yet displayed. You can redownload from the initial release post to see these changes.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
FRANKTANK

So I downloaded the same type of ROM that you said you used and the same message as before came up but I just checked "Ignore" in NUPS and patched it anyways.

Currently I'm up to the Under Forest.

Tribbug is adorable (it became my first catch) and I love Yew's explanation of Team Aura and the Team Magma reference on the Meteorite Machine and... well if I listed everything I love about the hack, this would be really long.

I found a bug where Shuppet's only move is glitchy and freezes the game. Also, I bought the Golden Poke Ball from the man and then found the one past the cut trees but it still says I only have one. Oh and my Marshtomp learned Razor Leaf:

However, all of these might be because of the patch not working for me and not because of the hack itself.

This hack is incredible so far and I know it will get better once I play more!
Old August 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
Mystery Man
Don't be like me!

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Could I have a little more information about the boat problem?
Pokemon - Fire Red.png
Say "yes" here and...
Pokemon - Fire Red2.PNG

In the most recent patch, he does not appear in front of his house before fixing his Seel. However, after fixing his Pokemon (and saying "yes" to his offer as shown in the bottom of this post), he reappears in front of his house, same exact script that leads the player to be stuck on a tree. I am presuming a level script that takes the player directly to the ship was supposed to trigger after accepting his offer (again, the one that does not break the game.)

Pokemon - Fire Red1.PNG
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
So I downloaded the same type of ROM that you said you used and the same message as before came up but I just checked "Ignore" in NUPS and patched it anyways.

Currently I'm up to the Under Forest.

Tribbug is adorable (it became my first catch) and I love Yew's explanation of Team Aura and the Team Magma reference on the Meteorite Machine and... well if I listed everything I love about the hack, this would be really long.

I found a bug where Shuppet's only move is glitchy and freezes the game. Also, I bought the Golden Poke Ball from the man and then found the one past the cut trees but it still says I only have one. Oh and my Marshtomp learned Razor Leaf:

However, all of these might be because of the patch not working for me and not because of the hack itself.

This hack is incredible so far and I know it will get better once I play more!
It seems the patch I uploaded was bugged again, the newest one has fixed at least the Gold Poké Ball and Marshtomp issues, though I'm not sure about the Shuppet glitch.

I'm glad you like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Man View Post
Attachment 69071
Say "yes" here and...
Attachment 69072

In the most recent patch, he does not appear in front of his house before fixing his Seel. However, after fixing his Pokemon (and saying "yes" to his offer as shown in the bottom of this post), he reappears in front of his house, same exact script that leads the player to be stuck on a tree. I am presuming a level script that takes the player directly to the ship was supposed to trigger after accepting his offer (again, the one that does not break the game.)

Attachment 69073
I've finally fixed this I think.

So yeah, redownload (again, sorry) and it SHOULD be okay.
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:53 AM
ShinyDarkral

Hey I really like the story of the game. However I found a bug which I'm not sure you're aware of.
The bug is that the game crashes when you evolve Treecko to Grovyle at lvl 16.
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyDarkral View Post
Hey I really like the story of the game. However I found a bug which I'm not sure you're aware of.
The bug is that the game crashes when you evolve Treecko to Grovyle at lvl 16.
Hm, when did you download the beta? It may be the version from before I fixed a similar glitch with Torchic evolving. Try redownloading the patch and starting anew.
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:23 AM
FRANKTANK

I think I'm just going to leave my Marshtomp with Razor Leaf until I find a better move just because I can. And the 1.7 patch patches fine for me :D

Anyways, I hate to be the person to point out errors, especially since this is far better than anything I could ever do, but I feel like you'd rather know what's wrong so you can fix it.

I feel like more people would notice this so it might just be me.

The animations for stat decreases and Poison have somehow become animations for moves.

The Gold Poke Ball still doesn't work (at least for me it doesn't. It might work for other people)

The Walky Talky still has the name for Tea and the Medicine has the name for the Rm. 6 Key.

This is after you go in the first ladder in Gold Caves. You can't move anywhere so it's preventing me from progressing any further.
Old August 4th, 2013, 01:03 PM
JohnNotTony

I'm having problems using Pound. Either the opponent, or myself can't use Pound. It freezes instantly. This patch makes my ROM run at about 160%+ at all times, and when I or my rival uses the Pound move it just stops and idles at about 120%. It doesn't seem like a big bug, just like it's looking for a mispelled script, or maybe an unfinished script? I'm not too heavy in hacking yet.
Old August 4th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
I think I'm just going to leave my Marshtomp with Razor Leaf until I find a better move just because I can. And the 1.7 patch patches fine for me :D

Anyways, I hate to be the person to point out errors, especially since this is far better than anything I could ever do, but I feel like you'd rather know what's wrong so you can fix it.

I feel like more people would notice this so it might just be me.

The animations for stat decreases and Poison have somehow become animations for moves.

The Gold Poke Ball still doesn't work (at least for me it doesn't. It might work for other people)

The Walky Talky still has the name for Tea and the Medicine has the name for the Rm. 6 Key.

This is after you go in the first ladder in Gold Caves. You can't move anywhere so it's preventing me from progressing any further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNotTony View Post
I'm having problems using Pound. Either the opponent, or myself can't use Pound. It freezes instantly. This patch makes my ROM run at about 160%+ at all times, and when I or my rival uses the Pound move it just stops and idles at about 120%. It doesn't seem like a big bug, just like it's looking for a mispelled script, or maybe an unfinished script? I'm not too heavy in hacking yet.
All of the above should be fixed. Please redownload etc.
Old August 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM
trick1234

Nature: Careful
So far this hack has been amazing. Until I lost to the second person in the first gym. Once I lost this happend.
I spawned at the lab in cinnabar I believe. Then i left the building and I was just there in that unfinished or glitched area.

Last edited by trick1234; August 4th, 2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: sorry forgot the pictures
Old August 4th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick1234 View Post
So far this hack has been amazing. Until I lost to the second person in the first gym. Once I lost this happend.
Haha I know how that happened. It's fixed now.

Last edited by Spherical Ice; August 4th, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old August 4th, 2013, 01:52 PM
trick1234

Should I get the newer one and restart or is there a fix for this.
Old August 4th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
Should I get the newer one and restart or is there a fix for this.
The fix is restarting D:

I mean you could hack in Fly and the badge that lets you use it into Fortree City, then Fly to Crimsonburg City and edit the header script in the Pokémon Center to be like so:
Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

//---------------
#org @start
#raw 0x5
#raw pointer @snippet1
#raw 0x0

//---------------
#org @snippet1
sethealingplace 0x0
setvar 0x405A 0xC05
setvar 0x405B 0x7
setvar 0x405C 0x4
end
and then enter it in game, then save your game. But that would mess progress up a bit.
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:02 PM
trick1234

oh well im not that far so restarting wont affect that much. Thanks for the help.
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:53 PM
HyperKiller
What if..?

Nature: Relaxed
Alright, I went and took the latest beta, but I still have that Pound freeze....

Mind if you actually update the beta w/Pound fix? I really want to use Treecko, which starts with Pound.

Also, other than that, this is very promising.

Oh, and the part where your Mom goes to find that you haven't left your hometown to get to Yew..

"My..They look pretty (whatever), don't they?"

The "They" part should be separated from the fullstops.
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Mystery Man
Don't be like me!

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
I've finally fixed this I think.

So yeah, redownload (again, sorry) and it SHOULD be okay.
It's fixed. =D

Here are the oddities I have encountered in the latest version (Gold Plains and forward):
Spoiler:

Gold Plains POkemon Center.PNG
Gold Plains Pokemon Center. The nurse's message stays after talking to her.

Pokemon - Fire Red1.PNG
In the mines. I think this is pretty self explanatory.

Pokemon - Fire Red2.PNG
Same place. The leader dude.

Leads to black room with no exit.PNG
Pokemon - Fire Red3.PNG
These ladders lead to rooms that are completely black. No way out of them unless the player has an Escape Rope.
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
oh well im not that far so restarting wont affect that much. Thanks for the help.
That's okay then. Thanks for your patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKiller View Post
Alright, I went and took the latest beta, but I still have that Pound freeze....

Mind if you actually update the beta w/Pound fix? I really want to use Treecko, which starts with Pound.

Also, other than that, this is very promising.

Oh, and the part where your Mom goes to find that you haven't left your hometown to get to Yew..

"My..They look pretty (whatever), don't they?"

The "They" part should be separated from the fullstops.
Ah, I've fixed the Pound bug now.

As for the latter, that's not really true because it's part of one sentence, and the ellipsis just represents a pause.

Quote:
Attachment 69098
Gold Plains Pokemon Center. The nurse's message stays after talking to her.
Fixed.

Quote:
Attachment 69099
In the mines. I think this is pretty self explanatory.
In my ROM this boulder had no script assigned to it so I'm going to assume its fixed itself in the newest patch.

Quote:
Attachment 69100
Same place. The leader dude.
Fixed.

Quote:
Attachment 69101
Attachment 69102
These ladders lead to rooms that are completely black. No way out of them unless the player has an Escape Rope
These should be fixed though these maps are especially glitchy for some reason so I wouldn't be surprised if this caused another bug somewhere else in these caves. Anyway, it should be fixed.

redownload pls :3

Also, I don't know if I've mentioned this but a load of Gen 4 and 5 moves have been added in (list in the readme) although their animations are not implemented yet (for now it just appears like Pound) and some effects are not 100% functional yet. They are not integrated into every Pokémon's movepool, though the buffed Pokémon listed in the readme, as well as Pokémon introduced in later generations, do have updated movepools.

Last edited by Spherical Ice; August 4th, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Bagon13

Nature: Quiet
When I'm battling shuppet, it freeze the game

Last edited by Bagon13; August 4th, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:05 PM
JohnNotTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagon13 View Post
When i'm battling shuppet, it freeze the game
I think its because of Pound breaking the game right now.

I think He's taken down the patch to fix the bug for right now. As the links don't lead anywhere but to broken image pages.

I hope you fix this by the time I get off work tomorrow. This is the only "Free-lance" ROM hack that I've enjoyed so far. All the others see to be just too far gone. I really enjoy the subtle "everyday events" that you could actually see in a movie or in real life.

That first lake I had seen with the two kids really caught me off-guard. I felt like I was really right there.

Anyways, I hope you finish this bug soon!!
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:41 PM
FRANKTANK

I found the same things as Mystery Man as well as a few more:
EDIT: It should be noted that these screenshots were taken before Mystery Man which means it isn't the most recent version.
Spoiler:

These two trainers are given the class of Worker but have the sprites of a Hiker

I'm not sure if the "we" is supposed to be there.

The text gets cut off here.

These both froze the game.

And finally, the Gold Poke Balls still don't work for me.

EDIT 2: Also, you might want to buff Psyduck's moveset considering it's a gift Pokemon. Generation III was not kind to it. The only Water move it gets is Hydro Pump at level 50.

Sorry if I'm being overly nitpicky. I genuinely do like this hack. Like it's one of the three reasons (along with DarkViolet and Chaos Rush's 64x64 sprite thread) that I check Pokecommunity everyday

EDIT 3: Here's some more:
Spoiler:

Sandile's menu sprite is Bellsprout's.

The boulder still has Dynamo's script.

Talking to the rocks freezes the game.

Going back into the cave makes this happen.

The nickname screen is a bit buggy (in the first one, the OK is selected but it's impossible to tell)

Strangely, this only happened to him and not the rest of the team.

This speaks for itself.

At some point, Jackson (the Tribbug evo) was replaced with a duplicate of Oscar the Psyduck. I'm not sure when this happened but I think it may have been because I gave Jackson the SideSys points for the Oran Berry. Unfortunately I realized that Jackson was gone after I savestated and so there was no way to get him back.

The sign is glitchy.

The Gold Poke Ball bug seems to effect all of them and not just the one I've previously shown.

Losing one of my strongest team members and being unable to finish exploring the cave (as well as the fact that it's 2 in the morning) led me to stop playing after that.

Last edited by FRANKTANK; August 4th, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links