Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 20th, 2011 (11:32 AM).
RetroPokemon
Beginning Trainer

The custom sprites, I am totally in love with them. I can't wait to see what this hack will bring (=
Old June 20th, 2011 (07:56 PM).
E.C.

Nature: Bold
This hack is nice,for your new updates, the stairs on the water seem to be a bit off, it is missing that bottom ledge like in your 3rd screenshot,also you should have made the paths bigger, i don't like how there are 1 tile paths,gives the player less playability,besides that stuff, your mapping is nice (although Nintendo mapping trees)i would rather go for natural mapping, but it's your hack, do whatever you want :)
Old June 20th, 2011 (10:13 PM). Edited June 21st, 2011 by Spherical Ice.
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote originally posted by RetroPokemon:
The custom sprites, I am totally in love with them. I can't wait to see what this hack will bring (=
Thanks. :D
Quote originally posted by ΣŁ1ŦΣ CHΛRIΖΛЯĐ:
This hack is nice,for your new updates, the stairs on the water seem to be a bit off, it is missing that bottom ledge like in your 3rd screenshot,also you should have made the paths bigger, i don't like how there are 1 tile paths,gives the player less playability,besides that stuff, your mapping is nice (although Nintendo mapping trees)i would rather go for natural mapping, but it's your hack, do whatever you want :)
No, the water is underneath the rocks. There are only two instances where there is a one tile path and it's not a major problem. I hate the look of natural mapping, but thanks anyway.

After beating the second gym, Team Aura get's rather angry with you...
Old June 21st, 2011 (12:50 AM).
Inler
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
The only thing I'd like to see added (or elaborated more) is the backstory: why did the three legendary Pokemon protect these items? Are they related in a way? What is the power behind them? I'm sure we will find out through the sequence of the story, but a good, general idea about these gaps would be nice, a least for me. Just a thought; no need to do it.

The use of the FR tiles with the addition of some custom-made FR-styled tiles is what I like to see in a hack and I see you implemented that in your hack. I don't have anything against completely new tiles, but the FR tiles are more 'easy on the eyes' for me. The scripting looks more than decent, the grammar is perfect, and the events look intriguing. I'm sure you'll enlighten us with some professionally-made and good-looking scripts later on. The characters aspect is the most I was impressed with, especially in Jack of Hearts and Cyan. They look like characters that could spice up the hack and orchestrate a fun game to play.

Overall, this hack looks promising enough and I'll be sure to follow the progress you will be making. Best of luck on this, mate, and keep us anticipated.
Old June 21st, 2011 (12:01 PM).
Spherical Ice

Quote originally posted by Inler:
The only thing I'd like to see added (or elaborated more) is the backstory: why did the three legendary Pokemon protect these items? Are they related in a way? What is the power behind them? I'm sure we will find out through the sequence of the story, but a good, general idea about these gaps would be nice, a least for me. Just a thought; no need to do it.

The use of the FR tiles with the addition of some custom-made FR-styled tiles is what I like to see in a hack and I see you implemented that in your hack. I don't have anything against completely new tiles, but the FR tiles are more 'easy on the eyes' for me. The scripting looks more than decent, the grammar is perfect, and the events look intriguing. I'm sure you'll enlighten us with some professionally-made and good-looking scripts later on. The characters aspect is the most I was impressed with, especially in Jack of Hearts and Cyan. They look like characters that could spice up the hack and orchestrate a fun game to play.

Overall, this hack looks promising enough and I'll be sure to follow the progress you will be making. Best of luck on this, mate, and keep us anticipated.
I'm glad to see you're interested, but I plan to keep that information a secret for now.

Thanks. It's really nice to see some really constructive crit. :D And I agree, Jack of Hearts is a pretty cool guy.

I'll definitely keep it up.

On your escape mission from the Aura Headquarters, Cyan equips you with a rather...dated, shall we say, walky talky.
It doesn't help that only he can talk to you, and you can't talk to him. -.-
Old June 21st, 2011 (01:05 PM).
Lord Varion
Guess who's back?

Nature: Naughty
The joys of a Mute-hero... wait o.O Is the hero mute?

Anyway walkie talkie is cool. But will you change the Vs.Seeker graphic. Because many people use the Vs seeker graphic D:
Old June 21st, 2011 (01:26 PM).
Spherical Ice

Quote originally posted by Nintendork15:
The joys of a Mute-hero... wait o.O Is the hero mute?

Anyway walkie talkie is cool. But will you change the Vs.Seeker graphic. Because many people use the Vs seeker graphic D:
Yes, the player is mute, and yep, I will change the sprite eventually.
Old June 22nd, 2011 (12:45 PM).
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
Thanks. It's not that good if I'm honest - the player hardly has any control except walking up to the guard. :/
Well, I'm not familiar with FR scripting system myself as I've never really created scripts in 3rd gen pokemon games before.

In 2nd gen there for example isn't a "change player's sprite" command - you've gotta tell the game the ram address where its stored (I believe you had to do that).
A less-experienced hacker wouldn't have stuff like that in his/her hack and besides, it's also hard to tell what you had to do to make the game load text and continue the script at the same time.

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old June 22nd, 2011 (12:53 PM).
Spherical Ice

Quote originally posted by miksy91:
Well, I'm not familiar with FR scripting system myself as I've never really created scripts in 3rd gen pokemon games before.

In 2nd gen there for example isn't a "change player's sprite" command - you've gotta tell the game the ram address where its stored (I believe you had to do that).
A less-experienced hacker wouldn't have stuff like that in his/her hack and besides, it's also hard to tell what you had to do to make the game load text and continue the script at the same time.
I'm pretty sure it's something similar to that in Gen III as well, though I'm no expert so yeah. Thanks anyway. :D

Also! Beta should be ready for testing by the end of this week. I just have to finish off the last town, the third gym and the Safari Zone, then you guys can have a play!

Here are a few screens to whet your appetite.
Old June 22nd, 2011 (06:45 PM).
Bisharp
Patched up, Crazy Matryoshka

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bisharp
Oh boy, once again, I can't wait for this hack's open beta! It feels so close now, and I'm dying for a play.
Old June 23rd, 2011 (09:38 AM).
Lord Varion
Guess who's back?

Mmmmmmmmmm-boy :3
Safari Zone! The place where we men can be men!
Can't wait for the beta :D
Old June 23rd, 2011 (12:09 PM).
Chimchar 9
inactive ~ depression :/

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Chimchar 9
The update looks really good! Though, I'm not sure about that rock being near the Poke-mart entrance, it looks out of place. But, I haven't seen the whole map, so what would I know?

Anyway, good luck! I cannot wait for thee beta! :D
Old June 23rd, 2011 (10:20 PM). Edited June 24th, 2011 by Spherical Ice.
Spherical Ice

Quote originally posted by Bisharp:
Oh boy, once again, I can't wait for this hack's open beta! It feels so close now, and I'm dying for a play.
Thanks a lot!

Mmmmmmmmmm-boy :3
Safari Zone! The place where we men can be men!
Can't wait for the beta :D
Thanks again!

Quote originally posted by Chimchar 9:
The update looks really good! Though, I'm not sure about that rock being near the Poke-mart entrance, it looks out of place. But, I haven't seen the whole map, so what would I know? :P

Anyway, good luck! I cannot wait for thee beta! :D
Thanks, and it does kind of look off in that screen, but literally next to it is mountains, so it's not the map, just my screenshotting skills.

Old June 24th, 2011 (12:29 PM).
Chimchar 9

I did wonder, as nothing is wrong with your mapping. I suggest you improve you screen shotting skills. xD

I like the look of the safari zone, it looks cool!!
Old June 24th, 2011 (01:32 PM).
Darkerface
Beginning Trainer

Wow, this looks like a really well-done hack
Do you happen to need beta-testers? :ø
Old June 26th, 2011 (05:40 AM).
pokemonmasteraaron
The blind Pokémon Master!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonmasteraaron
Such a great storyline.
To be honest, I can totally see myself battling thoughs leaders. Hmmm, maybe I'll catch a Flying type to beat hericross, and if you still can choose from 3 starters, the second gym will not be a problem. Love water types! :D :D :D :D
Old June 26th, 2011 (06:03 AM).
Spherical Ice

I did wonder, as nothing is wrong with your mapping. I suggest you improve you screen shotting skills. xD

I like the look of the safari zone, it looks cool!!
Thanks, and yeah, I should. :]

Quote originally posted by Darkerface:
Wow, this looks like a really well-done hack :)
Do you happen to need beta-testers? :ø
Thanks!
Well, I did say the beta would be ready by now, but there's still a bit more work to be done, so not right now, no.

Quote originally posted by pokemonmasteraaron:
Such a great storyline.
To be honest, I can totally see myself battling thoughs leaders. Hmmm, maybe I'll catch a Flying type to beat hericross, and if you still can choose from 3 starters, the second gym will not be a problem. Love water types! :D :D :D :D
Thanks! And funnily enough, this post is all about water types.

That's right! To get around Juan's gym, you need to hitch a ride on the various Mecha Lapras', created by the Devon Corporation (who, naturally, have a branch in Felith, seeing as it's the neighbouring region to Hoenn)!
Oh, and I made a new textbox. :D
Old June 26th, 2011 (01:23 PM).
Spherical Ice

Possibly the last event of the beta, Professor Redwood is shown reviving your fossil.
Old June 26th, 2011 (01:38 PM).
Lord Varion
Guess who's back?

Neighbors to Hoenn ... I'm thinking something but I'm not saying in case I'm wrong or it's a spoiler. :/
Anyway it looks good. Water gyms are always my thing
And it's outside ... or inside with outside tilesets. ?
Old June 26th, 2011 (02:12 PM).
Chimchar 9

OMG! I love the textbox! Also, like the idea of the new gym, very neat! Good luck! :D
Old June 26th, 2011 (10:22 PM).
Spherical Ice

Neighbors to Hoenn ... I'm thinking something but I'm not saying in case I'm wrong or it's a spoiler. :/
Anyway it looks good. Water gyms are always my thing ;)
And it's outside ... or inside with outside tilesets. ?
Feel free to say what you think in a spoiler.
Thanks, and it's inside with outdoor tilesets - to get to the gym you go into a cave.

OMG! I love the textbox! Also, like the idea of the new gym, very neat! Good luck! :D
Thanks!
Old June 27th, 2011 (08:47 AM).
Lord Varion
Guess who's back?

Spoiler:
Visiting hoenn?

I hope I'm right.
I hate being wrong xD
Old June 28th, 2011 (12:37 PM).
Spherical Ice

Spoiler:
Visiting hoenn?

I hope I'm right.
I hate being wrong xD
Yes, this is going to happen.

Anyway, Dark Cobalt is now looking for beta testers.

I only need five, so if you want to test, be quick. =D
To become a tester just PM me saying why. :D
Old July 1st, 2011 (09:05 AM).
Chimchar 9

I hope you've fixed all the errors we've gave you. Also, I can't wa!t for more updates.
Old July 7th, 2011 (08:13 AM). Edited December 28th, 2013 by Spherical Ice.
Spherical Ice

POKéMON DARK COBALT BETA 1 RELEASE

Bugs and Oddities

• TM and HM sprites are black, for some reason.
  • Sprites, including overworld and some trainer sprites, are not new - for example, Juan has Wallace's trainer sprite and Koga's overworld.
  • Some tiles are not covered by the hero.
  • Mum tells you to choose a Pokémon before they're there.
  • A signpost has no script.
Bugs highlighted in red can potentially be break or freeze your game. Remember to save often and to keep save states to keep your progress!

Things to note

• This beta is no longer supported, and is very outdated! Please download the latest version of Cobalt, on the first post of this thread!

Sponsored Links