Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges
Reload this Page Official Project: Alpha Fan (PAF) Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old June 19th, 2011 (06:41 AM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
@jd: I was sort of thinking one of two things...

1. everyone leaves their msn on, all in a big chat, and every time someone finds something relative to Alpha Fan that might be important, it gets posted in that chat. That way, everyone can scroll up or down, and its honestly a better way of communication than this.

2. We have scheduled times to meet, when all the time zones will line up well enough. I think this will be a lot harder, because some of us are in America and some of us are not. But hey, could be worth a shot.
Old June 19th, 2011 (06:58 AM).
Jackass of Hearts

Nature: Jolly
When you say America,you mean continent or USA?

Completed Challenges

Monotype Run Ghost Yellow
Solo Run Haunter Yellow
Old June 19th, 2011 (07:31 AM).
Challenge Forum Stalker

Quote originally posted by myrrhman:
@jd: I was sort of thinking one of two things...

1. everyone leaves their msn on, all in a big chat, and every time someone finds something relative to Alpha Fan that might be important, it gets posted in that chat. That way, everyone can scroll up or down, and its honestly a better way of communication than this.

2. We have scheduled times to meet, when all the time zones will line up well enough. I think this will be a lot harder, because some of us are in America and some of us are not. But hey, could be worth a shot.
Lets just do nr 1, because i live in Denmark (GMT +1) with means:
PT : GMT +1
9.00 = 18.00
12.00 = 21.00
3.00 = 12.00
(I can't distinguish between PM and AM, so i used the "24 hours a day" system we use in Europe)
This would mean the meeting times would be morning for the american, and evening for the european :/ (Not that I'm not active in the evening, but this is the reason for it :I)

On hold: Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Water: White 2 - 2/8

Old June 19th, 2011 (08:25 AM).
Jackass of Hearts

My time zone is GMT-3.So I gues nr 1 would be better Pm is from 13:00-24:00 got it?

Completed Challenges

Monotype Run Ghost Yellow
Solo Run Haunter Yellow
Old June 19th, 2011 (07:39 PM). Edited June 20th, 2011 by jdthebud.
Monotype Master
Gold Tier

Nature: Naive
So I'm playing through with Nidoking and Blastoise, and I just finished with Pewter City.

First, here's some DV calcs and stuff for the beginning of the game:

Spoiler:
Good stats for:

L6 Squirtle:
HP: 22-23 (23 indicates DV of 15) (not really important)
Atk: 11-12 (necessary)
Def: 13-14 (although not really important)
Speed: 11-12 (12 indicates DV of 15)
Special: 12 (necessary)

L4 Nidoran♂ (if catch at L3):

HP: 18
Atk: 10
Def: 9
Speed: 10
Special: 9

L5 Nidoran♂ (if catch at L4):

HP: 20-21
Atk: 11-12
Def: 10
Speed: 11
Special: 10

Here are my stat checks:
L6 Squirtle: 22/11/13/11/12 (meh atk, meh speed, good special)
L5 Nidoran♂: 20/12/9/10/9 (good atk, meh special, meh speed)

here are some notes I took while doing this. I'm using an emulator so I can pause it, and am using save states every once in a while in case I really mess up (i.e. someone faints). My name is J, rival K, and I named Squirtle "S" (should have done "B" in hindsight) and Nidoran♂ "N".
  • saw 4 rattata on rt 22 before a L4 Nidoran♂, which kind of balances out.
  • I fought 2 wild L3 Weedle in VF, no L4/L5 encounters, which kind of sucked.
  • leaving V Forest: N and S at L9, 3 Pokeballs, 2 Potions, Antidote.
  • didn't use Potion on N, and got a critical hit on Diglett for a 2HKO. Brock went fine.
  • visited Mart in Pewter: bought 5 Potions, 3 Paraheals, 1 awakening, and 1 antidote.
  • used 2 Potions on N and S (1 each).
  • leaving Pewter: N @ L10, S @ L12, 3 Pokeballs, 5 Potions, 2 Antidote, Awakening, 2 ParaHeals; Time: 0:19 (record pace: 0:12)
Some observations/other notes:
  • Before you start a new game, set text speed to fast and animations off. leave the style on switch. I set to Set, so I had to switch it back, which takes a few sconds. Also, delete your save file manually (if on comp) if you can so that you can make the settings before starting the game.
  • 2 Tackles and a ball is good for Nidoran♂.
  • I didn't visit the PC in Viridian, so I have less Potions then what Myrrh has on his sheet.
  • I didn't see Spearow on Rt. 22, so I'm gonna catch it before Mt. Moon.
For the next section, I am planning on getting out of Mt Moon at pretty equal levels, but I have no idea as to what level that should be. Obviously I want to fight Misty with Nidoking, and he needs to be at least L23 so he knows Thrash. Any checkpoint suggestions?

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old June 19th, 2011 (10:23 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by jdthebud:
So I'm playing through with Nidoking and Blastoise, and I just finished with Pewter City.

First, here's some DV calcs and stuff for the beginning of the game:

Spoiler:
Good stats for:

L6 Squirtle:
HP: 22-23 (23 indicates DV of 15) (not really important)
Atk: 11-12 (necessary)
Def: 13-14 (although not really important)
Speed: 11-12 (12 indicates DV of 15)
Special: 12 (necessary)

L4 Nidoran♂ (if catch at L3):

HP: 18
Atk: 10
Def: 9
Speed: 10
Special: 9

L5 Nidoran♂ (if catch at L4):

HP: 20-21
Atk: 11-12
Def: 10
Speed: 11
Special: 10

Here are my stat checks:
L6 Squirtle: 22/11/13/11/12 (meh atk, meh speed, good special)
L5 Nidoran♂: 20/12/9/10/9 (good atk, meh special, meh speed)

here are some notes I took while doing this. I'm using an emulator so I can pause it, and am using save states every once in a while in case I really mess up (i.e. someone faints). My name is J, rival K, and I named Squirtle "S" (should have done "B" in hindsight) and Nidoran♂ "N".
  • saw 4 rattata on rt 22 before a L4 Nidoran♂, which kind of balances out.
  • I fought 2 wild L3 Weedle in VF, no L4/L5 encounters, which kind of sucked.
  • leaving V Forest: N and S at L9, 3 Pokeballs, 2 Potions, Antidote.
  • didn't use Potion on N, and got a critical hit on Diglett for a 2HKO. Brock went fine.
  • visited Mart in Pewter: bought 5 Potions, 3 Paraheals, 1 awakening, and 1 antidote.
  • used 2 Potions on N and S (1 each).
  • leaving Pewter: N @ L10, S @ L12, 3 Pokeballs, 5 Potions, 2 Antidote, Awakening, 2 ParaHeals; Time: 0:19
Some observations/other notes:
  • Before you start a new game, set text speed to fast and animations off. leave the style on switch. I set to Set, so I had to switch it back, which takes a few sconds. Also, delete your save file manually (if on comp) if you can so that you can make the settings before starting the game.
  • 2 Tackles and a ball is good for Nidoran♂.
  • I didn't visit the PC in Viridian, so I have less Potions then what Myrrh has on his sheet.
  • I didn't see Spearow on Rt. 22, so I'm gonna catch it before Mt. Moon.
For the next section, I am planning on getting out of Mt Moon at pretty equal levels, but I have no idea as to what level that should be. Obviously I want to fight Misty with Nidoking, and he needs to be at least L23 so he knows Thrash. Any checkpoint suggestions?
Hmm, since being in Cerulean City with Cut is required for advancing (cutting the bush to the east), I was considering going to Vermilion first for my Nidoking solo. I currently do not think defeating Misty is plausible straight from saving Bill. So, I'm going to go through the S.S. Anne first. Actually, I'm going to have to do Mt. Moon first, haven't done that yet. You know what? I'm going to actually play some on my Alpha Fan tonight. Haven't done this in what seems like years. Wish me luck.
Old June 19th, 2011 (11:26 PM). Edited June 20th, 2011 by jdthebud.
Monotype Master
Gold Tier

By the way, there is no current single segment run for Yellow, so maybe that's something we can shoot for. Nidoking solo is the obvious choice, and you can get Nidoran at L6 on the grass just before Viridian Forest if you're lucky. seems like it's very doable, and if we get it under 3.5 hours, that's a great starting point, as the current segmented record is 2:28.

Obviously the map and stuff is different, and it would take more planning than R/B, as it hasn't been done before.

EDIT: Update on my speed run. Here's the first update. I did use the save states quite a few times here, so this part was far from perfect, especially since I didn't really have a guide to use (I used Myrrh's guide for the first part). I ended up beating Misty with mostly Wartortle using TW + Dig, as Nidoking wasn't powerful enough to survive 2 Water Guns, let alone Bubblebeam, and he was outsped by Starmie.

So, from Pewter City:

Went to Mt. Moon. Dodged Lass, Lass, guy under ledge, Lass.
Caught Spearow by the sign.
Entered Mt. Moon. Picked up: Water Gun TM, Escape Rope, RC, Moon Stone. Fought: 1 Rocket, Super Nerd.
Exiting Mt. Moon: N L16 (Nidorino), S L14 (fainted). Taught Water Gun to N.

Cerulean City:
Picked up hidden RC, evolved N with Moon Stone. Visited PC.
Beat Rival: N beat Pidgetto, S beat Abra and Rattata, N beat Bulbasaur.
Beat Nugget Bridge, S evolved.
Saved Bill. N L20, S L19. Visited PC.
Beat Rocket soley with N, used Dig TM on S.
Challenged Misty. N L21, S L19.
S vs Staryu: 2x TW, Dig OHKO. S vs Starmie. 2x TW, 2x Dig, S KOed by crit Tackle. N finished with Horn Att.
Taught Bubblebeam to S.

Leaving Cerulean:
Team: N L22, S L19, Spearow L7.
Bag: 2 Pokeball, 2 Antidote, TM34, 2 ParaHeal, 2 RC, Escape Rope, Helix Fossil, Nugget, S.S. Ticket.
Time: 0:59 (record pace: 0:50)

Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Old June 20th, 2011 (05:34 AM).
[untitled]

Nature: Docile
Well, since I don't have any Gen I games, I guess I could help with research via emulator. Even more so since my Internet Speed is pretty slow, so recording my run won't be viable since it takes 4 hours to upload an 11 min video (so if the run was 1 hour it would take 25~ hours)
Old June 20th, 2011 (07:02 AM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

By the way, there is no current single segment run for Yellow, so maybe that's something we can shoot for. Nidoking solo is the obvious choice, and you can get Nidoran at L6 on the grass just before Viridian Forest if you're lucky. seems like it's very doable, and if we get it under 3.5 hours, that's a great starting point, as the current segmented record is 2:28.

Obviously the map and stuff is different, and it would take more planning than R/B, as it hasn't been done before.
Plus, Nidos can learn Double Kick early.

I'd like to see someone work on Kadabra now. I think Kadabra can probably OHKO everything in the game that isn't Psychic type, (as nothing else resists him) until either Snorlax or the Chansey at the end. So, you might want to get Zapdos early maybe? Unfortunately, you'd have to do all but 2 Rival Battles before you could get him (unless you get insanely lucky with an ultra ball). On the upside, you can skip Sabrina's annoying Abra, Kadabra, and Alakazam until after you get Zapdos. The good news, though, is that your Rival only will have a Kadabra for one of those battles (he gets it late in Yellow). In Blue, you have to fight more Psychic types, but they're lower levelled. Hmmmm.
Quote originally posted by chaos11011:
Well, since I don't have any Gen I games, I guess I could help with research via emulator. Even more so since my Internet Speed is pretty slow, so recording my run won't be viable since it takes 4 hours to upload an 11 min video (so if the run was 1 hour it would take 25~ hours)
I don't have any gen 1 games on me right now, and I'm using emulators right now. Also, you can just post stuff like jd and myself.
Old June 20th, 2011 (09:27 AM).

So wait, would Dugtrio be viable at all for a speed run? If you do manage to catch one early in Diglett's cave, like I posted earlier It dominates with Dig/Slash/EQ plus whatever else. Crit OHKOs are still OHKOs

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old June 20th, 2011 (11:21 AM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by mamoswineftw:
So wait, would Dugtrio be viable at all for a speed run? If you do manage to catch one early in Diglett's cave, like I posted earlier It dominates with Dig/Slash/EQ plus whatever else. Crit OHKOs are still OHKOs
That is true. I'll add him to the list. If you solo the first part w/ Squirtle, you can probably beat Lt. Surge easily w/ Dig. That might help get you up to 26. I'm just worried about the tankier Pokemon, like Blue's Venusaur/Gyarados, and even the Tangela that Erika has. You don't get slash til lv. 35...
Old June 20th, 2011 (01:37 PM).

I think it's pretty obvious but it wasn't said.Skip Seafoam Island by surfing from pallet
Old June 20th, 2011 (03:57 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Yup, and skip the eastern Snorlax too. Go down Cycling Road instead.
Old June 20th, 2011 (05:02 PM).
For my next trick...
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
About this Zapdos thing, sure it may be viable to get one but it also means you could be wasting a lot of time trying to catch it. We would need someone to test out a Zapdos theory, and have a backup plan if need be. :)
Old June 20th, 2011 (05:51 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Alternative:
About this Zapdos thing, sure it may be viable to get one but it also means you could be wasting a lot of time trying to catch it. We would need someone to test out a Zapdos theory, and have a backup plan if need be.
I'm thinking that regardless, the first half at least of the game will be the same. In Kadabra's case, I think you need to rush get the Master Ball, for the others, you can probably wait til near the end.
Old June 20th, 2011 (07:44 PM).
Monotype Master
Gold Tier

yeah, most runs I have looked at catch Zapdos right after beating Giovanni in the Viridian Gym.

By the way, I have to say that a Kadrabra run would almost necessarily need to be segmented, as it can be hard to find and catch.

Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Old June 20th, 2011 (08:45 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

yeah, most runs I have looked at catch Zapdos right after beating Giovanni in the Viridian Gym.

By the way, I have to say that a Kadrabra run would almost necessarily need to be segmented, as it can be hard to find and catch.
I was thinking possibly getting one from the game corner, since in Yellow he is at Lv. 15. From there, you can hop over to Saffron for Psychic, and then go back down to Vermilion to pick off the trainers that are left. I know the first bug catcher has Bug/Poison types, which might be enough exp for Abra to evolve. You could even potentially use a Rare Candy to get him that one level. Soon after that, you'll be able to pick off the Pokemon in the Celadon Gym, being SE against every single Pokemon other than one skippable trainer's Exeggcute, and Erika's lv. 30 Tangela. Though having an abysmal Special stat, you can teach Kadabra Mega Punch, Body Slam, or Dig. It might pay off against the enemy Kadabras and their equally abysmal defense stat.
Old June 21st, 2011 (02:53 AM). Edited June 21st, 2011 by chaos11011.
[untitled]

Nature: Docile
I'm going to start testing now, I think I'll use Squirtle, Kadabra and Dugtrio. Maybe dumping Squirtle for Zappy later? Oh well, I'm mainly going to do the run right now to test Kadabra and Duggy.

Edit:
- Named myself C and Rival R
-Picked Squirtle and named it J
-Viridian Forest was pathetic, I missed Tackle twice (I was Level 6 at the time) and Poison hax was all over the place
-Forced myself to heal at Pokecenter
-Accidently battled the trainer in Brocks Gym, my fault though, since I'm not used to Black and White graffics :x
-Beat Brock

J @ Lvl 14

0:25
Old June 21st, 2011 (08:04 AM).
Challenge Forum Stalker

I lost some time going back and forth between Cerulean and Vermilion, because i couldn't beat misty right away, and then, i couldn't use cut yet to meet Surge...
My new Bicycle really helps though :D

JJ (Charmelion) lv 30
Ember, Body Slam, Dig, Scratch

1:15

I recommend all people to get Body Slam in the second room from the left on the main deck of S.S. Anne (Where you enter). It is a huge improvement on Mega Punch/Tackle :D
And go big time shopping in Vermilion, as it is the last mart before rock tunnel, and the only yet to stock Super Potion and Repel

On hold: Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Water: White 2 - 2/8

Old June 21st, 2011 (02:37 PM).
Monotype Master
Gold Tier

Thrid update. Here's the previous one.
  • Went to Vermilion City, only fighting the last two trainers. Skipped PC.
  • at mart: 10 S Potion, 5 Repel.
  • Fought Rival on SS Anne, got Cut.
  • Traded for Farfetch'd.
  • In gym, got the locks on the second try.
  • After beating Surge (with N), I was at about 1:10 (record was 1:04, since he took 5 minutes getting the locks). N and S were at L23.
  • went back to Cerulean, got Bike, biked to Rock Tunnel, fighting 2 unavoidable trainers.
  • Got through Rock tunnel. Time was lost on fighting Slowpoke with S instead of N (thunderbolt), and fighting a couple trainers I could have avoided.
  • Arrived in Lavender, skipped PC.
  • Got to Celadon and bought 3 Revive, 5 S Potion, 11 S Repel, 2 ParaHeals, and a Pokedoll, as well as 2 Fresh Waters, one which was exchanged for Ice Beam.
  • Got Fly HM, then visited Saffron to set Fly checkpoint.
  • Flew to Lavender Town (healed at PC, bought 5 Escape Ropes) and scaled Pokemon Tower.
  • Got Pokeflute, then fought Erika and was wiped out (damn crit Razor Leaf).
  • Beat her the second time, then healed up and went through Cycling Road (ran from Snorlax, fought no trainers) to Fuchsia City.

Arrival in Fuchsia City:

Team:
N (Nidoking) L30 (Horn Attack, Thrash, Thunderbolt, Water Gun)
S (Wartortle) L30 (Bubblebeam, Ice Beam, Bite, Dig)
Dux (Farfetch'd) L7 (Cut, Fly)

Bag: Bike, 11 S Potion, 11 S Repel, 6 E Rope, 3 RC, 2 Antidote, 1 Max Ether, 2 Revives, SS Ticket, 1 ParaHeal, TM21, HM 01, HM 02, Pokeflute, Helix Fossil

Time: 1:55 (record pace: 1:39)

Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Old June 22nd, 2011 (06:20 AM).

Well, I decided to do this on my laptop using an emulator, and LIBERAL use of save states. As such, I was able to catch a Spearow with 1 ball first time, go through Viridian Forest and level B the Squirtle to 9. Went through Pewter gym thanks to a LOT of luck and poor opponent decisions, finished up with B on about 6 health, level 12. By this stage, the timer is at 0:12.

I'm planning on doing this run with Blastoise and Dugtrio, so soloing until Vermillion and then lots of resetting until i catch a Duggy ASAP. I know it's going against what any run will actually be like, but I want to get to Duggy and then see how fast we can go.

The question I have now is what should I do? Heal at the pokemon center and stock up on items at the mart? Or heal with a potion, and buy stock, heal before Mt Moon?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old June 22nd, 2011 (03:48 PM).
I use too many smileys.... :P

Nature: Calm
Jd, do you reckon you would be able to shave those 16 minutes off or is it too much of a longshot.

Imo, I do not think a duo run will be the answer, at least at the start of the game and a trio tun is definitely out of the question as the experience really needs to go into 1 pokemon.

Also, I have another contender to go on the shortlist: Hypno. Reasons: only 5 special lower than kadabra (base 115) and a lot higher stats in everything but speed(base 67), also easier to catch and train initally and available earlier in the game than abra. Movepool is lacking in variety but plenty of strong psychic and normal moves (att base 73) but it will only need psychic unless against other psychics. Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo is available too as a backup for stronger trainers. Thoughts??

In this challenge you can only ever have 1 Pokemon of any type and if it faints you can never use that type or Pokemon again! You must battle through each game to completion (E4 Champion or Red) without having all your types eliminated. Choose your Pokemon wisely and have fun!
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=248129
Old June 22nd, 2011 (04:16 PM).
Banned

Nature: Serious
Send a message via AIM to RHIOneAlbum
Myrrh, put up me as testing Blastoise, I'm going through like 5 different saves testing different things right now

Also-I got a Red Nintendo Power guide, so I can use that for stuffz
Old June 22nd, 2011 (05:28 PM).
Monotype Master
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Hacki101:
Jd, do you reckon you would be able to shave those 16 minutes off or is it too much of a longshot.

Imo, I do not think a duo run will be the answer, at least at the start of the game and a trio tun is definitely out of the question as the experience really needs to go into 1 pokemon.

Also, I have another contender to go on the shortlist: Hypno. Reasons: only 5 special lower than kadabra (base 115) and a lot higher stats in everything but speed(base 67), also easier to catch and train initally and available earlier in the game than abra. Movepool is lacking in variety but plenty of strong psychic and normal moves (att base 73) but it will only need psychic unless against other psychics. Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo is available too as a backup for stronger trainers. Thoughts??
Well, I don't know how the latter half of the game will go. It isn't going too well, but again, I am not following any kind of guide in terms of who/what to fight and stuff.

The problem with hypno is the speed, which doesn't allow him to survive battles on low HP, which will require more healing and reviving if necessary, which takes time and money. Also, Abra is found earlier then Drowzee in R/B, although training him is a a pain.

Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Old June 22nd, 2011 (05:48 PM).
love below
Gold Tier

Nature: Adamant
Haven't made any progress other than this.

I'll get to testing Kadabra soon.

paired to kaori & vrai
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links