The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Competitive Team Help

Notices

Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 28th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Riku
Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
So, I just sorta got started in this world of competitive battling. Just really started PO a couple days ago. But, I have a team I really like, but just was wondering (and was advised) to post it here for crit/feedback/suggestions/etc.

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Disable
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hammer Arm
- U-turn

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Bounce

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

I originally had Blissey but opted for Excadrill... dunno if that's the best set for Drill to use though. Thank you in advance for any feedback ^^

Old June 28th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Gazza
Heaven-Piercer

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Maybe use Air balloon instead of Life Orb for a free quake switch.
Also change Rapid Spin to X-Scissor for coverage and shock Reuniclus users who try to Focus Blast Exca.

Give your Ferro Rapid spin if you need to. ;D

Tyranitar and Exca should be used to clean up and revenge kill. If you can get two Swords Dances in along with T-Tar's Sand stream to boost speed Exca can sweep pretty much any team.

I'll Probably edit this some more for you later. (b'-')b

Last edited by Gazza; June 28th, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Vrai
can you feel my heart?

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
I'd use Focus Blast on Gengar, especially if you're using it as a lead. I really think you shouldn't use it as one, though - it's a great Conkeldurr counter with that set (you disable the Payback and/or Stone Edge and it can't touch you), and Ttar and Excadrill both dislike it greatly. It'd be much more useful outside of the lead position.

Return is also an option >> Rapid Spin on Excadrill to hit Rotom-W, Gliscor, and Virizion harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
Maybe use Air balloon instead of Life Orb for a free quake switch.
Also change Rapid Spin to X-Scissor for coverage and shock Reuniclus users who try to Focus Blast Exca.

Give your Ferro Rapid spin if you need to. ;D

Tyranitar and Exca should be used to clean up and revenge kill. If you can get two Swords Dances in along with T-Tar's Sand stream to boost speed Exca can sweep pretty much any team.

I'll Probably edit this some more for you later. (b'-')b
Ferro doesn't get Rapid Spin, sadly. :(
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Anti
I forgive you, Chris Bosh.

Nature: Serious
Gengar definitely wants Focus Blast over Thunderbolt. The overall coverage is much better and Substitute lets you escape some of the inconvenience of Focus Blast's accuracy. And you really need the coverage for really any Steel-type are Dark-type that isn't weak to Thunderbolt like Lucario, Tyranitar, Excadrill, or even the rare Weavile. It really is better.

With Landorus, just in terms of how you play it, I wouldn't get too U-turn happy. Just like with CB Flygon last gen, a lot of players spammed U-turn so Flygon actually lost its utility and just wasted turns. When you can, just attack with a stronger move. It was just an observation I had and yeah, you pretty much waste Landy if you just U-turn all the time...of course, that doesn't mean never use it but yeah.

Excadrill probably doesn't want to lose 10% of its health for Rapid Spinning. I would just use Air Balloon. Alternatives to Rapid Spin are X-Scissor (mostly for Lati@s) and Brick Break (lets you beat foe Excadrill without needing to win a Speed tie, so you don't have to surrender your hard-earned boost). Since you seem pretty secure against Lati@s, Rapid Spin is probably preferred to protect Gyarados.

This is a cool team. Good luck with it

EDIT: Don't forget to set Ferro's Speed IV to zero or Gyro Ball doesn't hit as hard.

~wolf: defeated every lead except elf :>
d_a-bread house: what about metagross
~wolf: ok that too
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:09 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I wouldn't use Gyro Ball and Thunder Wave together on Ferrothorn, since Gyro Ball weakens if the opponent is slow as well; you'll have to replace one or the other with Leech Seed, Stealth Rock or Protect. Also, use Relaxed or Sassy to capitalize on its defensive stats.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here