The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (04:12 PM).
aspie3000
Unova Champion

Nature: Lonely
I'm talking about pokemon obtained by action replay, what's the drawback of having hacked pokemon?
Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (04:14 PM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I don't know if they still can, but at least in the past they had a possibility of ruining your entire game, making you lose all your Pokemon and your save file. Also, they can be banned from online battling and such, so if you trade a good, legit Pokemon for a hacked one to battle with without realizing, you're screwed pretty much. There are so many shortcuts in the game, why hack anyway?

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (04:18 PM).
aspie3000
Unova Champion

So basically there is no drawback except for if your online battling? I know that the action replay pokemon don't ruin your game.
Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (04:23 PM).
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

Being banned from online battling is one reason, but another one is because people think that obtaining pokemon from an Action Replay takes away from the game a bit. It's more rewarding to train your pokemon rather than hack to get it.
Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (04:28 PM).
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
If this is for trading, people aren't afraid of them. They just like to know if it is a hack or not. I don't want to trade my legitimate event pokemon for some sav generated pokemon that appears to be legit that takes all the sport out of it and is false advertising.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (04:28 PM).
aspie3000
Unova Champion

Yeah, but some people like to get certain pokemon early in the game like rufflet and train them from the start too, that can also be rewarding, I guess it's all about your outlook. Also the way getting a pokemon by action replay works is by modifying wild pokemon, so you have to catch it and everything.
Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (04:30 PM).
JimJams
Giggles at the Ghosties

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to JimJams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro. View Post
Being banned from online battling is one reason, but another one is because people think that obtaining pokemon from an Action Replay takes away from the game a bit. It's more rewarding to train your pokemon rather than hack to get it.
This. I don't like to feel like I'm cheating, it ruins the fun.

Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (06:02 PM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspie3000 View Post
Yeah, but some people like to get certain pokemon early in the game like rufflet and train them from the start too, that can also be rewarding, I guess it's all about your outlook. Also the way getting a pokemon by action replay works is by modifying wild pokemon, so you have to catch it and everything.
Well if you're already hacking in stats, you might as well hack in a catch rate maxed out, right?

I'm even uncomfortable with RNG, which is considered completely legitimate in the general community's eyes. There's something about knowing that things they want you to work for can be just grabbed by people that want to look up how kind of bothers me. Although there are challenges where you're expected to hack in Pokemon from the beginning, like the Eeveelution challenge.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (06:46 PM).
Professor
Beginning Trainer

For the most part people just think it takes away from the game. You can easily hack some pokemon but it's way more rewarding to acquire a pokemon legitly and that's why you play pokemon games, to catch them alllll! Not hack them all.
Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (07:05 PM).
PokéSwimmer
Keeping time time time

Quote:
With online trading as well as GTS negotiations, it's incredibly easy to obtain virtually any Pokémon near the beginning of the game. Through GTS negotiations, I was able to get a Rufflet before I even got the third badge. It is not an excuse for hacking a Pokémon (at least, in my opinion). I don't really have a problem with hacking items with an AR though (though I have not done so since Gen III).

Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (07:17 PM).
GStheHero
YouTube Battler

Nature: Modest
It takes the fun out of it IMO. I'd much rather hunt for the PKMN and then capture it in it's natural environment than hack it in somewhere else.

GStheHero! <3

click here for my youtube wifi battles! =]
Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (08:04 PM).
aspie3000
Unova Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post

Well if you're already hacking in stats, you might as well hack in a catch rate maxed out, right?

I'm even uncomfortable with RNG, which is considered completely legitimate in the general community's eyes. There's something about knowing that things they want you to work for can be just grabbed by people that want to look up how kind of bothers me. Although there are challenges where you're expected to hack in Pokemon from the beginning, like the Eeveelution challenge.
They're not hacking stats, the pokemon's stats are the same, so is the catch rate but honestly I don't see anything wrong with action replay as long as your not competitively battling in tournaments or anything.
Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (09:33 PM).
Tyranee
Can't read my Poke'-face!

Nature: Quirky
I would honestly only consider using an AR if there was absolutely NO OTHER WAY to get a certain Pokemon or to do a certain thing in game. Say I missed the Darkrai event, there's no other way to get Darkrai other than AR. As long as I don't use it competitively then it should be ok. I don't have a problem with people using AR as long as they don't go online with it.

Voice Acted Apollo Justice LP:
Old Posted July 6th, 2011 (09:36 PM).
Althea
[For Sale]

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Althea
I've never had a problem with Pokemon created through the use of a cheat device, although I don't believe I have any myself - I don't tend to trade for EV'd Pokemon, since I'm not really into competetive battling.

But for some people, EV/IV training is tedious, and yet without doing it they can't play competetively and stand even the slightest chance of winning. If you're creating a Pokemon with an Action Replay or whatever, so long as it isn't anything you wouldn't be able to get in game (like EVs off the charts in every area, etc) then I don't see what is so wrong with it. Perhaps it isn't as rewarding, but it does save several boring hours.
Old Posted July 7th, 2011 (12:00 AM).
tekniko
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Jolly
If you opened Mario 64 and found that you were given 120 stars at the beginning. You would probably turn it off and play another game
Old Posted July 7th, 2011 (01:45 AM).
Pyrax
World Class Baka

Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrax
Quote:
Yeah, but some people like to get certain pokemon early in the game like rufflet and train them from the start too, that can also be rewarding,
Breeding pokémon to use in another game isn't cheating.
Old Posted July 7th, 2011 (06:39 AM).
poopydude
PKMN Master

Nature: Brave
Because it used to ruin your game
Old Posted July 7th, 2011 (08:27 AM). Edited July 7th, 2011 by The Corrupt Plague.
The Corrupt Plague
Missingno. hunter

Nature: Naughty
There seems to be a big misconception that having hacked Pokemon can damage your game. If you make them properly, they don't and they can be almost indistinguishable from captured pokemon. Besides, there's very little difference between RNG abuse and hacking anyway and I see RNG abused shinies with maxed out IV's getting traded all the time without the stigma.

Credit goes to Team Brushfire for the awesome banner!
Old Posted July 7th, 2011 (09:06 AM). Edited July 7th, 2011 by aspie3000.
aspie3000
Unova Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrax View Post
Breeding pokémon to use in another game isn't cheating.
Yeah, but then you'd have to buy another game, beat it then breed two pokemon to get the rare ones. Also to all those people that think you are creating pokemon with action replay, your not creating pokemon with action replay your making certain ones show up in the wild.
Old Posted July 7th, 2011 (10:02 AM).
Spikey-Eared Pichu
Pichu-pi!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Spikey-Eared Pichu
Hacked Pokemon aren't too different from something you'd get legit =/ Using AR to get that Victini you missed out on is virtually indistinguishable from a legit Victini (Except for the date obtained). Really, I don't mind using hacked Pokemon because the only real difference as compared to the "legitimate ones" is the location caught, the level obtained, and its IVs (Which I do max because let's face it: IV-breeding is too much hassle).

If you feel like battling, send me a message (: I do use hacked Pokemon and am not afraid to admit it. If you have an restriction (No DW Pokemon, no legendaries, etc.) I'd be happy to oblige by those rules.
Old Posted July 7th, 2011 (11:33 AM). Edited July 7th, 2011 by Kirbychu.
Kirbychu
Scyther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro. View Post
I have never heard of people or Pokemon being banned from online battling. The games' filters really aren't that good. Yes, if something on your hacked Pokemon is illegal it's not allowed to battle on random wi-fi, but all you'd need to do is fix that little problem and it's perfectly fine. The game can't tell what's hacked because hacked Pokemon are the exact same as normal Pokemon, unless you're talking about the ones with illegal stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I don't know if they still can, but at least in the past they had a possibility of ruining your entire game, making you lose all your Pokemon and your save file. Also, they can be banned from online battling and such, so if you trade a good, legit Pokemon for a hacked one to battle with without realizing, you're screwed pretty much. There are so many shortcuts in the game, why hack anyway?
They're not banned forever from online, you just need to change the little thing that's making them illegal. And what? Ruining your entire game?

Hacked Pokemon are usually no different from normal Pokemon. Scratch that, they tend to have perfect IVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corrupt Plague View Post
There seems to be a big misconception that having hacked Pokemon can damage your game. If you make them properly, they don't and they can be almost indistinguishable from captured pokemon. Besides, there's very little difference between RNG abuse and hacking anyway and I see RNG abused shinies with maxed out IV's getting traded all the time without the stigma.
Yeah, where did all this "damage your game" stuff come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStheHero View Post
It takes the fun out of it IMO. I'd much rather hunt for the PKMN and then capture it in it's natural environment than hack it in somewhere else.
Only to figure out the Pokemon has abysmal IVs?

Paired to cr4y

Old Posted July 7th, 2011 (11:45 AM).
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
I totally agree with it taking the challenge out of the game with obtaining them. By the way, if you get traded a Keldeo, Meloetta, or Genesect, it's hacked, I guarantee it. That's because the events to obtain them have not been held.
Old Posted July 7th, 2011 (12:04 PM).
Tashiro
Total Perspective Vortex

Nature: Brave
Taking out the challenge? Many of you seem to see this as a universal truth. What about people that enjoy their ice punch Blaziken and swear to never use it in battles with other humans? Having Pokémon with illegal moves amuses me, and I love the nature code for legends. EV codes are great if you're careful and don't misuse them.

Also, what challenge is it to just drive to an event and download the Pokémon instead of trying to capture it? That time I hacked Jirachi in Valley Windworks? Do you have any idea how hard those things are to catch? Not everyone loves the masterball cheat. It was significantly more challenging than the tedious soft-resetting at the man with the green hat.

My game has never been damaged, but it has messed up a little. My hack game is Pearl, and Azelf's lake is dried up and infested with Team Galactic, but with Azelf still in the cave. I am amused.

You know, some of us do have morals. When I offer Pokémon for trade, I say if they're hacked. When I battle, I say if they're hacked. Still, all this stuff about not having a challenge? It depends how you use the cheats. It's all relative.
Old Posted July 7th, 2011 (05:57 PM).
aspie3000
Unova Champion

Plus there are pokemon that you can't capture until after beating the elite four, so what's the point of even capturing these pokemon if you can't use them in the game? Well you can use them if you hack them.

Old Posted July 7th, 2011 (09:27 PM).
CptSwaggerPants
Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP

Send a message via Skype™ to CptSwaggerPants
Hacked Pokemon have never messed up my game and Pokesav is technically hakced but I consider it an art. It takes a good amount of time to make a Pokemon, a legit one using Pokesav.

Skuntank Pro

Almost always online. X/Y FC: 0189 9159 0185

LF: Arceus 5/6 IV or shiny Giratina Adamant 5/6IV.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links