The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 24th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Moltres Rider
Banned

Nature: Modest
has anybody ever or still does, level grind in Pokemon, walk around aimlessly building up levels? you kinda had to level grind little a in the original red/blue, but I kept that up in the following games, I can't level grind like I used to when I was a kid, today, I wonder how I was able to grind levels so much without getting bored, I can't go as far as I used to when I level grind. but does anybody level grind...
Old July 24th, 2011, 05:59 AM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
I've stopped level grinding as soon as Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire came out due to the release of Pokemon double battles. But before hand, it would bother me and bore me so much to the point that I would just throw the Pokemon in the daycare and just tour which ever route or town/city I was in or going into.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old July 24th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Yo Face Here
this is not a user title

Send a message via AIM to Yo Face Here Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Yo Face Here Send a message via Skype™ to Yo Face Here
I always grind levels post-game, but I don't care during the main storyline.

It's still really boring. ;;
Old July 24th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
I've always grinded a lot in my games, most of the time it'll be because of the Pokémon in my team are too low a level to go up against a gym leader. It happened a lot to me in B/W. But yeah, I do a lot. I pretty don't bother as much after the league though.

Old July 24th, 2011, 11:16 AM
The Sly Fox

I level grind sometimes, more so after the E4 though, mainly because its something to do...

Old July 24th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
I usually level grind around Victory Road. Most of the gyms and other places are either at or below my level anyways.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old July 24th, 2011, 11:50 AM
2Cool4Mewtwo
Pwning in Ubers since 1996.

Nature: Rash
I sometimes grind levels by beating E4 like 6 times in a row... But I usually grind levels before E4, because they're usually a considerate level bump from trainers that you've been facing before E4.

Old July 24th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Sol Rovyn
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Careful
I grind when I'm underleveled, and that's pretty much it besides in the end when there's nothing better to do or if I want to evolve something. I get bored of it easily though; I'm pretty impatient when it comes to that sometimes, especially if I'm doing it to evolve something and I just want to get it over with.

Old July 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
In the main storyline, I grind my Pokemon so that my starter is a few levels ahead of the rest of my Pokemon (which I keep at the same level). I grind before going through a route and before important battles.

Old July 24th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Moreliakeepr
Beginning Trainer

I usually level grind at the beginning of every game, so that I can progress through the story quickly.
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Pokemon Trainer Touko
春野サクラ ♥

I level grind a lot, especially before the Elite four and Champion lol.
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:23 PM
AtomicRebirth
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Modest
I tend to do a few levels worth of grinding before each gym and then a ton before the Elite Four since I'm generally way too underleveled to even consider it.

Friend Codes
Diamond: 1893-3020-5884
SoulSilver: 1936-0731-9729
White: 4727-9870-4645

Old August 7th, 2011, 03:45 AM
DowntownDumpling

Nature: Quiet
I only level grind if:
  • My Pokemon are nowhere near strong enough for the next Gym Leader/Elite Four
  • I need to evolve a Pokemon
  • I have just evolved a Pokemon with an Exp. Share via Happiness, and don't feel like going back to a Pokemon Center, so I continue training my other Pokemon
  • I want to get at least a few Exp. points for some random Pokemon I found in the PC that I caught months or years ago and haven't trained at all
Actually, with all those conditions, I'm grinding fairly often.
Old August 7th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Spidey
Whovian.

I only grind if my Pokémon aren't good enough for the next gym leader.
Old August 7th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Welcome to York County, SC!

I always level girnd. I always must be at least five levels higher than the gym leader when I battle, so that means lots of time killing wild Pokemon. I've seen a doctor about my "excessive level grinding" syndrome but so far, no cure, so I continue to do it...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old August 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Haowakeorden
Gym Leader

Nature: Hardy
In the main game I often end up grinding due to my plan of training all my Pokémon up to the same level (which would be at least the level of the next Gym Leader's highest-level Pokémon) until they reach their final evolution stage. After the Elite Four, I don't grind as much.
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Zaicon
Gameplay Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreliakeepr View Post
I usually level grind at the beginning of every game, so that I can progress through the story quickly.
I do this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Overlord LeSabre™ View Post
I always level girnd. I always must be at least five levels higher than the gym leader when I battle, so that means lots of time killing wild Pokemon. I've seen a doctor about my "excessive level grinding" syndrome but so far, no cure, so I continue to do it...
If I do enough level grinding in the beginning of the game, I never have to again in order to keep my Pokemon's levels way ahead of the Gym Leader's.
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Hikamaru
τόσο χαριτωμένα

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Overlord LeSabre™ View Post
Yeah, Lisa. I agree with you. I often level grind to have advantages over Gym Leaders and to evolve late-evolving Pokemon for Pokedex completion.

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old August 15th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Yoshikkko
underdog

Nature: Adamant
If I've done all of my EV training, whilst having used another non-EV trained team to get to a certain point in the game, I grind my Pokémon to the level based on that point where I am. I do set a certain lvl for myself, like 45, and then grind them all to that lvl.
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Minerva
the S I R E N S are calling

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Minerva
I used to level-grind my Pokemon so much...but now, not so much anymore. It's basically boring. I just do this my way: jump into the battles with underleveled Pokemon, and pray that I win. xD
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:57 AM
DowntownDumpling

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganium90 View Post
I used to level-grind my Pokemon so much...but now, not so much anymore. It's basically boring. I just do this my way: jump into the battles with underleveled Pokemon, and pray that I win. xD
Buying a*sloads of healing items FTW!
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:10 AM
xnicnicx

On R/S and D/P, I used to Level-Grind a lot before and after E4 just for something mainly to do while traveling or just messing around but now it just gets way to boring, I prefer just to do Wi-Fi battles, trades, dream world etc...

Dragonite Through the Generations!
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:47 AM
644Klaww
LittleBigPlanet + Pokemon = <3

Nature: Relaxed
Right now on Pokemon White, I'm trying to let my brother catch up to me in the main story, so I've just been leveling up my Pokemon, and I recently got an Oshawott over trade, and leveled it up to level 36 and evolved it for my Pokedex within like... 5 minutes.

I'm at the point in the game right before I fight the 8th gym leader whom, according to Serebii, has Pokemon around level 40. My team's all level 50s. I wonder who's gonna win. :/

All I did was train Audinos on Route 10. I would cycle back and forth in the non-tall grass, and wait for a patch to shake, then I'd fight whatever appeared. It was mostly Audino, but I sometimes got Sawks and Emolgas. I think it took like, 2 fights with a lucky egg to level up, while I was about level 40?

The sad thing is, I was using a Frillish, so the Audino couldn't even hurt me in any way. I got really easy training there.

Then I got Pokerus while doing it... I wonder how many HP EVs I got...
Old August 31st, 2013, 12:11 PM
dethklok300

actually for me when i was young the reason i never got bored is because i didnt have anything else better to do. i miss those days. now im 17 and my patience is rather thin. so what i do is play them on vba or desmume and turn on the throttle. because in my opinion, pokemon doesnt really have the game flow for enjoyable grinding.
Old August 31st, 2013, 11:26 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori

Nature: Calm
I do grind throughout the main storyline... and I don't grind post-game as I in most cases stop playing after finishing storyline.
Grinding is fun.

Sponsored Links