The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: These birds fly high, so which is the apple of your eye?
21 67.74%
10 32.26%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 30th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Forever
let it go

This week you've got a strong special attacking bird in and out of rain, and a strong physical attacking bird!

When comparing the two, I want you to also base it on which you'd use competitively, which do you think has the better chance, which you used in-game, which you like the design-of best, and what strategies you think one could use to beat the other. Each week these polls will continue until all combinations and tiers are used up (each Pokemon compared will be from the same competitive tier). To find out more about tiers, and how you can get the most out of these Pokemon, check out Battle Center. So which do you choose? Don't forget to post in the thread when voting in the poll, either!

Last edited by Forever; November 30th, 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:03 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Braviary > Swanna. Simply put, the former packs more power behinds its attacks than the latter. While Swanna's STABs have good coverage together, Braviary hits Rocks and Steels harder with Superpower, even though the move doesn't receive STAB. That, and Braviary looks cooler, IMO.

Old November 30th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Azure
» e l e c t r i c
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I like Braviary's design but I've never used it; Swanna on the other hand has a beautiful design and is a really useful Pokemon. I'll vote for Swanna since I prefer it out of the two.

Old November 30th, 2012, 11:36 AM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Braviary mainly because its amazing design
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old November 30th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

From two weaklings to two "beauties". #HockeyTermsEveryoneShouldKnowInCanada

NEway, my Swanna is my HM slave because it has STAB for Surf and Dive. I really should teach Fly to Braviary and have the STAB associated with that, but since Ducklett is also Flying type, that still works. Since I have three STAB HMs on Swanna, I have to say that it's way more useful from a traveling standpoint.

I'll see what other opinions there are before I vote, as I really have only used Swanna against Audinos while helping others evolve (currently Lv.74 so it's a cakewalk) and plan to bring out Braviary for some similar fighting.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old November 30th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
Braviary. I used one in-game and was not disappointed, and it's appearance is great.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old November 30th, 2012, 01:57 PM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
Braviary wins for me. I feel in love with it's design the moment I saw. It's why I got White instead of Black , I wanted one on my team. It's also has tons of power having incredible stats and strong moves , like Sky Drop and Brave Bird. The Braviary on my White hasn't disappointed and is probably my strongest Pokemon. These factors easily make it my favorite Gen 5 Pokemon and favorite Flying-type.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old November 30th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I never used Braviary in-game, but I voted for him cos he has good stats and learns some strong attacks like Return, Superpower and Brave Bird.

Also, it looks awesome in terms of design.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

on a leave of absence

Old November 30th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Guildmaster Wigglytuff
...Whatever
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Braviary has a really cool design, but I voted for Swanna because of the nice design and because I used it on my team and wasn't disappointed.

VM | PM | MAL
Old November 30th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

I just realized another thing that might influence voting. Some did not get Rufflet/Braviary during the main game due to version (barring trading of course). Meanwhile, Mandibuzz proved relatively pointless to use, as Swanna out-performed it. Those of us with Black got the short end of the stick, for certain.

I'm going to therefore try it out in battle this week and come back with a vote later. Battle Subway might be calling.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Last edited by Cyclone; November 30th, 2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: I hate when the site is slower than the slowest molasses...TRIPLE POST?!?
Old November 30th, 2012, 08:41 PM
curiousnathan
a hero can be afraid, too

Nature: Careful
I voted for Braviary. Mainly due to the fact that it has an amazing design, both normal and shiny, and also due to the fact that i caught a shiny one in White. So naturally, I have a bit of bias towards it over Swanna. Otherwise, Swanna would win. It's great special-wise and its design is elegant and beautiful.
Old November 30th, 2012, 09:51 PM
RandomTrainerWhoCould
Yo

Nature: Relaxed
Braviary obviously. I mean, it's not even the stats; the stats are one thing, but the amazing movepool and versatility is just amazing. Going from a powerful CB set to a fast, scarfed set and to the defensive with a sneakily good SubBU set. It gets roost from the move tutors, STAB return, brave bird, and most importantly, superpower to smack walls like probopass and miltank. Damn, it's really amazing, not to mention it sits at an incredible speed tier of base 80. Seriously, one could argue that Braviary will get moved up to RU; it's that good.

Swanna, on the other hand, is interesting. It is most notable for rain teams because of its ability to ohko ludicolo and amoonguss with brave bird and hurricane, respectively. But weather aren't that common in the lower tiers. Don't get me wrong, Swanna(and to a greater extent, weather) have great potential in NU, but much of NU is unexplored ATM.

So Braviary is the superior bird. Oh, and happy late thanksgiving everyone :]
Hax is supposed to happen. Scald has a 100% burn rate(willowisp w/ perfect accuracy); paralysis has a 75% chance of kicking in; Rock slide misses more than stone edge; Hustle= 50% more power at the cost of 100% accuracy.
I get haxed a lot and the hax gods who are the gods of hax hate me I'm sad :[
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:48 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Even if I don't think it's the better battler of the two, my vote goes to Swanna, mostly for personal reasons. It (well, technically Ducklett) was the first shiny Pokemon that I found in a Gen V game, and it actually had pretty decent stats, so I used it on my team. I actually plan on transferring it over to my W2 to have it be one of my main party members, so Swanna is my choice.
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:22 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Even though I like both birds, I have to vote for Braviary for better stats and movepool. Swanna's stats are all over the place, and none of them reach over base 100.
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:12 PM
TheTimidHoodlum
Too Scared To Post Anything

Nature: Timid
I pick Braviary, for higher base stat total (More HP, Attack, Defence and Sp. Defence than Swanna), as well asgreat design and movepool. Swanna might have less weaknesses (Not weak to Ice, but x4 weak to Electric) and also be faster, but I just don't see it be as usefull as Braviary.

Oh God This is scary
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:04 PM
Mononoke Hime
viva emptiness

Nature: Sassy
They both look awesome. Swanna is so beautiful and Braviary is imponent and also pretty.

But I think that Braviary is my choice, since I can visualise myself flying in it's back and not in Swanna's.
Another thing is that Swanna's wings look a bit strange to me.
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:48 PM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

I vote for Braviary because of its Attack

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old December 1st, 2012, 11:05 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
My vote went to Swanna, but that's not to say I don't also adore Braviary. This was a hard choice. I really like Braviary's design and the one I used in White 2 did an amazing job. But Swanna won it for me because I love its design, how it can use both Surf and Fly and because it's my pair's favourite Pokémon.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:10 AM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

My vote instantly goes to Braviary. It's really powerful and has quite good defences as well for a bird Pokemon. It's speed isn't too shabby either. As for Swanna, it sure is a good surfer and flyer and is great with Rain Dance + Hurricane + Surf and all, but it isn't one of the best flying-types as well as water-types. It's quite frail compared to Braviary, and frailness puts a Pokemon lower down in my rankings. And who can't deny that Braviary looks so much cooler than Swanna? So, yup. Overall, Braviary wins.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:40 AM
Pryze
Moonwel ot cosidme

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Pryze
Braviary's nice attack, speed, and movepool make's it stand out more, for me, at least. My vote goes to Braviary,
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
My vote totally goes to Swanna. Braviary seems like just another flying/normal type. There are plenty of those. I think Swanna though, being a water/flying type is much more useful. I think the moves it can learn prove to be very useful.

I also like how Swanna looks, and I even had a Swanna on my team to beat Black version. So Swanna is my choice.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Correspondence

Both the birds have a decent enough movepool but Braviary's a bit better.Though Swanna can be an awesome H.M slave.
Old December 5th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

I'm now prepared to vote for Swanna. Maybe my Braviary was weaker than the norm., I have no idea; however, it didn't do any better than my Swanna on average. I've moved on to my Hydreigon to level a little bit and vote for Swanna.

I'll revisit Braviary when I start breeding perfect specimens.

Cyclone

Old December 7th, 2012, 03:53 PM
The_Consumer

Swanna looks pretty damn spiffy and makes a pretty awesome HM slave like most people have said .
I've used Braviary as the best of a bad situation and I have to say that it is nowhere near as useful or physically lovable as Swanna.
Old December 7th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Mochi
Formerly AzaleaLightning

Nature: Sassy
I've used Swanna several times in-game and it's a great HM slave, has a cute design, and I like the versatility of it.

I do like Braviary and I know it has great power, but I still prefer Swanna.

Sponsored Links