Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Treehouse
Reload this Page you are with me today

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Treehouse For the everyday ramblings of the masses.

Old August 2nd, 2011 (06:00 PM).

Can you go for a long time without contacting friends/family, or do you need to do it often?

If a friend doesn't contact you for a long time, do you consider that friendship over? Or can you pick up where you left of with a friendship even if you haven't spoken for years?
Old August 2nd, 2011 (06:35 PM).
kevin del rey
Silver Tier

I can go for a long time. :D I just need to do something to keep myself company.
Old August 3rd, 2011 (12:44 AM).
Nyeh?
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Sometimes I can go for long periods of time without talking to someone. During that time, I talk to other people.

Old August 3rd, 2011 (02:38 AM).
Dancing in the Rain~ღ
Gold Tier

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Patatas Fritas
It depends on the person. I'd still consider someone my friend if we hadn't spoken for a while, just more distant and I'd need to get to know them again.

But as a rule I generally hate going more than a week without talking to people I know :x
Maybe buy me a Diamond Ring

Old August 3rd, 2011 (03:34 AM).
Ayselipera

When it comes to family I could go an eternity without talking to them. Probably even for immediate family. Which it isn't that I don't like my immediate family it's just I never feel an urge to go out of my way to talk to them. So I could see myself going a very long time without speaking to them if I was ever far away.

As for friends I've gone whole summers without talking to any of them and then when I go back that first day of school it's like we've been talking the whole time. After not speaking to a friend for a year or so I would consider the friendship over in the sense of closeness. Once I start talking to them again though it's usually like nothing has changed. I've had quite a few friendships that were strong, then died off, and then came back together just due to being apart and coming together again, so I know it's easy to do!
Old August 3rd, 2011 (04:12 AM).
Venipede

I've always been out of contact for long periods of time with older members of my family. I hate being unable to talk to my sister or cousin though. I used to be at school with my sister, but with her being older, she left last year, which was the same year that my cousin started, so I was kinda jumping from one family member to the other without meaning to do so. To make up for not seeing my sister anymore since she's off in university now I talk to her on Skype and all that all the time, and I do miss her if we don't have a conversation once in a while.

As for friendships, I find it pretty easy to attach to or detach from someone when I need to without any relationships actually being compromised, at least, not on my end. There are a couple of people I really miss if I don't talk to for a while, though, but generally if I don't talk to a genuine friend for a while then that just means that, well, I haven't talked to them for a while and that's it. In my eyes it doesn't even hint that the friendship might be over, and generally the conversations we have upon talking again are good enough to prove that more or less nothing has really changed at all.

An example is when, a couple of months back, I met up with someone I hadn't seen since very early childhood under very unexpected circumstances but who I remembered quite well for some reason. And after we'd run through all the stuff that had been happening it was like we'd never been apart the whole time. We just started up again really easily and all that.
Old August 3rd, 2011 (07:17 AM).
CS

I don't like my family so I wouldn't mind not speaking to them for a long time. :D

With friends I'm usually the one who lets things slide and forgets to keep in touch so the only person I hold a grudge against for a long lapse is myself. If they contact me after 5 or 6 months I'm pleased to strike up the friendship again if they're willing. I never consider a friendship over unless it ends all angry and bitter like with both of us realizing we have no reason to be around each other anymore. Everything else is just "See you next time."

deviantart blog pair
Old August 3rd, 2011 (08:21 AM).
THE HOST IS BROKEN
Gold Tier

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
I do a lot of things with my family and I'm pretty close with my brothers and sister, so I think I'd miss them if I didn't contact them for a long time.

Old August 3rd, 2011 (12:28 PM).
Crystal Tier

I don't really like interaction with family, being in contact with friends every once in a while is nice, but I don't need it. I'm more of an anti-social person, so as long as I have a computer (Internet too) and a TV, I'll be set for months.

Old August 5th, 2011 (03:39 AM).
I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN.
Gold Tier

Nature: Quirky
I have to be in fairly regular contact with my friends online. As for family, I tend to only contact them when absolutely necessary, and I can go for a while without having to listen to their constant nagging

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old August 5th, 2011 (07:17 AM).
(>^.(>0.0)>
Crystal Tier

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Alice
I only talk to one of my friends once every 3 or 4 months, but I've gotten used to it.

As for everyone else, I'd like to stay in contact as frequently as possible.
Old August 5th, 2011 (08:04 PM).
let it go
Crystal Tier

Not really. :x Unless I have sorta contact with people somewhat "often", which can basically go up to a few months, and if any longer, really, I sorta feel distant with people and then I try to make the effort to talk and it just feels akward, and then I avoid talking to them because I feel bad etc. Probably due to me sucking at small talk just to maintain friendships ;;

Buuut, as for family, yeah I'm not really that close with a lot of them, and when I talk to anyone I feel awkward due to not seeing them much. As for immediate family though, pretty sure I can go a while without talking to them, then reconnecting easily and I'd be fine, haven't tested that though.
Old August 5th, 2011 (08:09 PM).
the bloody
CS

Nature: Gentle
Friends I can sometimes go a month or two without speaking to them and still be friends with them/speak with them when I see them or speak with them again. Some of them I won't talk to for several months, but that isn't too much of a problem.

As for family there is one person that I probably wouldn't be able to stand not being in contact with for a while, and that's my sister. We're like peanut butter and jelly, and we feel lost without the other sometimes. :( Yes, we're that close.
reduced activity
Credit
Old August 5th, 2011 (08:17 PM).
get inked
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
I have a hard time picking up friendships where they left off, if they're say, over a year without contact. I don't really like going too long without talking to people that are really close to me though. Like...going a week feels like months to me. Maybe I'm just clingy.

As for family, I kinda can go a while without talking to them. That probably sounds really bad...

happily received
Old August 5th, 2011 (09:38 PM).
Posting King
Crystal Tier

I also keep my friends even if I haven't been in touch with in a while. I have had friend that I hadn't talk to in years and then we just got back in touch and are still awesome friends :)

If you want to chat with me shoot me a VM. Trust me I can't bite you through the computer
Old August 6th, 2011 (04:38 AM).
春野サクラ ♥
Gold Tier

I can go a loooong time without talking to my family but I'd die if I don't talk to my friends lol.
Old August 6th, 2011 (04:45 AM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by Pokemon Trainer Touko:
I can go a loooong time without talking to my family but I'd die if I don't talk to my friends lol.
Pretty much the same as me, except I can go for a bit longer without talking to friends. Then again, one night away from the internet and I almost died inside and lost it.
Old August 6th, 2011 (05:03 AM).

Nature: Lax
As a kid, I couldn't be separated from my mother; my father not so much --didn't like him. Now, though I cannot really know how it feel to be away from your parents, considering they both are dead, I am okay being away from my brother or any of my relatives for a relatively looong time.

As for my friends, the same. I usually contact them when I'm away or they do, but if I for some reason don't contact them, they know that I'm busy and cannot talk. I have understanding friends.
Old August 8th, 2011 (10:00 AM).
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
no matter how much I tried during college I've always texted my mother for some odd reason....but it wasn't like the "I miss you" crap it was more like me bothering her for some type of money or just anything for that matter.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old August 8th, 2011 (11:10 AM).
we can breathe in life.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave
I'm kinda weird. I can go days and not care whether I talk to anyone at all, but at the same time I eventually find out that I'm happier when I do talk to people through out the day. I think it's my general anti-socialness clashing with the fact that I'll miss the people I'm closest to. xD;

slateport cityanimu tumblrygo tumblrpair
but why is rumble world so addicting?
Old August 9th, 2011 (08:28 AM).
<insert witty eloquence here>

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Ayselipera:
When it comes to family I could go an eternity without talking to them. Probably even for immediate family. Which it isn't that I don't like my immediate family it's just I never feel an urge to go out of my way to talk to them. So I could see myself going a very long time without speaking to them if I was ever far away.

As for friends I've gone whole summers without talking to any of them and then when I go back that first day of school it's like we've been talking the whole time. After not speaking to a friend for a year or so I would consider the friendship over in the sense of closeness. Once I start talking to them again though it's usually like nothing has changed. I've had quite a few friendships that were strong, then died off, and then came back together just due to being apart and coming together again, so I know it's easy to do!
This pretty much. I always feel guilty when I don't ring my parents, but I still don't do it all that often. With friends, unless I'm in close contact with them, there's a high chance that I won't contact them until I see them in person. Dunno why, but it's always been this way for some reason.

Sponsored Links