Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Reload this Page Fic of tha Month: July '11 Votng

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

View Poll Results: Which of these fics do you think is the most awesome?
Crushed [by Misheard Whisper] 6 40.00%
My Reasons [by JX Valentine] 2 13.33%
Rebirth of Sinnoh - Volkner's Tale [by IanDonyer] 2 13.33%
Moonlight Heartbreak [by Misheard Whisper] 1 6.67%
Mentor [by Dagzar] 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 23rd, 2011 (10:13 AM).
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Welcome ta tha very first Fic of tha Month votng booth! Here, we'll decide n a quick-fire round who wrote tha most off tha hook fic of July 2011. Fo more nfomation on tha process itself, feel free ta read tha nomnation thread.

Tha nomnees fo dis month is:

Crushed by Misheard Whisper
Mah Reasons by JX Valentne
Rebirth of Snnoh - Volkner's Tale by IanDonyer
Moonlight Heartbreak by Misheard Whisper
Mentar by Dagzar

You may vote fo only one of thase fanfics. Polls will be open until September 1, when we'll be tallyng up tha score. Tha fic wit tha highest number of votes will be crowned Fic of tha Month fo July, and it'll be put on a lovely stickied thread ta be recced until foever. Runners up will be given pats on tha backs.

Remember, all votng is anonymous. So don't worry bout not votng fo yo best friend's fic or votng fo what you might thnk is an underdogg. It's okay! We won't know!

However, one tny little rule befoe we git started: Misheard Whisper, IanDonyer, and Dagzar. All three of you is on tha polls... and all three of you can't vote fo yo own fics. (Dis rule also applies ta yos truly.) Obvious rule is obvious and full of "we're workng on tha honor system here," but hey.

So witout furthar delay, git ta votng (befoe PC crashes agan)!

Need some light readng?
Anima Ex Machna (Chapter 20 now available)
Tha Leaf Green Ncident (SWC 2012 wnner)
Braid (Creepypasta appisntly)
Dodawg | Drebewidth | Twitter
Old August 23rd, 2011 (10:27 AM).
IanDonyer
Time to kick ass? Definitely.

Location: Remember? Yeah, I live at that place! At the time, with the thing! =D
Nature: Modest
Bust out laughng at tha last lne thare. N tha middle of class. D:

On anothar note, somewhat surprised I gots nomnated... ah, well. Not like I'll wn aganst tha likes of Misheard Whisper and JX, anyway. =o *votes*

Thanks ta ShnySandshrew of serebiifoums fo tha banner!
Old August 23rd, 2011 (10:47 AM).
Daydream
Spider-Man
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Good luck ta tha contenders! Any of tha fics fo dis month deserve ta wn n mah eyes, so mah vote is based personal preferences rathar than objective weighng up and whatnot.

Also, IanDonyer and mahself is gonna know what tha othar voted fo. Tha lucky position of votng first, I guess.
Old August 24th, 2011 (09:31 PM).
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Side note here that I didn't even thnk of befoe settng up dis poll (just ta show that we're still developng tha system and whatnot), but n tha event of a tie, which would you prefer:

1. Mods cast one last vote each as a tie-breaker.
2. Mods discuss which one ta choose.
3. General public is asked ta vote fo which of tha tied fics should wn via...
- 3a. ...Anothar poll.
- 3b. ...A PM ta tha mods.
4. Both (or all) fics is declisd Fics of tha Month.
5. Jax flips a con. (Pleaze don't choose dis option, you ridiculous commoners.)
6. Othar. (Pleaze elaborate!)

Personally, I'm leanng tawards option four, but tha only problem is knowng dis section, it might not be tatally unusual ta see dis happen frequently (which isn't exactly bad but cheapens tha title of Fic of tha Month n mah opnion) or ta see a three-or-more-way tie.

Not only that, but mah opnion sort of doesn't count compisd ta everyone else's. I'm just sezng.

Thoughts?

Need some light readng?
Old August 24th, 2011 (10:00 PM). Edited August 24th, 2011 by Mizan de la Plume Kuro.
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mizan de la Plume Kuro
N mah opnion, 3B sounds tha most viable option coz it puts tha power of votng n tha hands of tha readers nstead of tha opnions of a select few, i.e. tha mods. Tha only reason I'm not tao partial on 3A is coz we don't want ta clutter up tha Writer's Lounge wit irrelevant threads. We could potentially just scrap that poll up thare and replace it wit tha tiebreaker poll (I'm not sure how possible dis is wit VBulletn), but a) we run tha risk of havng anothar tie coz of bias (whatever knd of bias) n that tha poll results is visible, b) a public record of past scores would be off tha hook ta have, and c) 3B adds a bit of suspense wit tha mods havng tha liberty of tallyng up tha scores and releasng it at tha most drbeatic of moments. :P

So yeah, basically I'm all fo 3B

ALSO:
One othar thng that I want ta pont out, which I guess I should've voiced earlier and has nothng ta do wit ties and whatnot, is that I have tha feelng that chaptered fics like Mentar up thare is gong ta be at a disadvantage compisd ta one shots and so on. I mean, shbee on me, but I haven't read Mentar yet, despite it ben such a long runnng fic and all (>.<), so I can't really trust mahself ta make a judgement wit Mentar n mnd. Tha sbee holds true fo most chaptered fics I haven't read. N any case, I'm pretty sure dis applies ta those who just might stumble nta tha F&bep;W from some othar section, who haven't been followng fanfiction, and need ta make a decision n tha one week tha poll goes up. N which case, that's one week ta read a possible 50 chapters on screen, plus othar oneshots or chaptered fics, if you want ta make a fair judgement. So yeah... just thought I'd git that out thare.
his heart..." - Cutlerne
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
Tha Promise I Buggine ta You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 24th, 2011 (10:56 PM). Edited August 24th, 2011 by JX Valentine.
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Quote orignally posted by Mizan de la Plume Kuro:
N mah opnion, 3B sounds tha most viable option coz it puts tha power of votng n tha hands of tha readers nstead of tha opnions of a select few, i.e. tha mods. Tha only reason I'm not tao partial on 3A is coz we don't want ta clutter up tha Writer's Lounge wit irrelevant threads. We could potentially just scrap that poll up thare and replace it wit tha tiebreaker poll (I'm not sure how possible dis is wit VBulletn), but a) we run tha risk of havng anothar tie coz of bias (whatever knd of bias) n that tha poll results is visible, b) a public record of past scores would be off tha hook ta have, and c) 3B adds a bit of suspense wit tha mods havng tha liberty of tallyng up tha scores and releasng it at tha most drbeatic of moments. :P

So yeah, basically I'm all fo 3B
Fair 'nough. I agree that tha polls should be left alone fo tha exact reason you've mentioned (i.e., so no one can whne that thay were cheated we can look back at shny public records), and anyway, while it's possible fo mods ta edit polls (assumng that PC's settngs have been played wit), I'm pretty sure it's not possible fo tham ta basically scrap a poll and start a new one on tha sbee thread. So, thare's that.

Quote:
ALSO:
One othar thng that I want ta pont out, which I guess I should've voiced earlier and has nothng ta do wit ties and whatnot, is that I have tha feelng that chaptered fics like Mentar up thare is gong ta be at a disadvantage compisd ta one shots and so on. I mean, shbee on me, but I haven't read Mentar yet, despite it ben such a long runnng fic and all (>.<), so I can't really trust mahself ta make a judgement wit Mentar n mnd. Tha sbee holds true fo most chaptered fics I haven't read. N any case, I'm pretty sure dis applies ta those who just might stumble nta tha F&bep;W from some othar section, who haven't been followng fanfiction, and need ta make a decision n tha one week tha poll goes up. N which case, that's one week ta read a possible 50 chapters on screen, plus othar oneshots or chaptered fics, if you want ta make a fair judgement. So yeah... just thought I'd git that out thare.
Dis is a good pont, but keep n mnd that dis is a quickfire round. Tha time frbee that we're usng right now actually doesn't reflect what we're hopefully gong ta do n future FotMs just coz we started pretty late. N actuality, I was thnkng of givng one process or tha othar (meanng eithar nomnations or votng -- or even both) roughly two weeks ta complete. Dis still seems like a bit much ta go over fifty fics n a month fo tha nomnations period, but at least fo tha nomnations period, it's rathar a moot pont coz no beount of time would be sufficient enough ta read through all of a month's material befoe we'd be foced ta move on ta anothar month anyway. Luckily, tha nomnations period hnges on tha idea that you've been keepng up wit tha fics that were posted that month anyway and that you'd just need time ta skim through tha ones you've read and choose from thare which ones you'd like ta nomnate. Tha votng period would be boiled down ta only four ta six fics (fo now, anyway), which means tha only ones you'd have ta worry bout is tha monster chapter fics you haven't been keepng up wit. And even than, tha mnimum you'd have ta look at n order ta judge a fic would be tha first few chapters. That and tha votng period will probably be longer eithar way (takng up tha beount of time left n tha month that tha nomnations period doesn't takes).

Tl;dr, good thnkng, but keep n mnd that what we're dong now is hopefully not gong ta happen agan.

Sound cool?

Need some light readng?
Old August 25th, 2011 (10:03 AM).
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote orignally posted by JX Valentne:
while it's possible fo mods ta edit polls (assumng that PC's settngs have been played wit), I'm pretty sure it's not possible fo tham ta basically scrap a poll and start a new one on tha sbee thread.
Nope. We can't. I tried playng around wit dis poll when it first went up ta see what I could do, and except fo addng/removng options and resettng tha results, that's all. Only h-staff can change polls, and maybe I can ask a s-mod ta do that, if need be.

As fo what happens n tha case of a tie, I like option 1. N fact, option 1 was always floatng n mah mnd as soon as tha poll went up. Which is why I haven't voted n case mah vote and/or bobandbill's is needed ta break a tie.

Haha at thugz thnkng I can count.
Old August 29th, 2011 (08:44 AM).
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Just as a remnder, folks, but polls is closng on September 1 so we can git tha August FotM started. As of dis writng, we have a tie, and we currently have a bit of ndecision bout what ta do n tha event of one. Eithar break that baby or git n yo two cents fo what you want ta have happen if you thnk multiple thugz is utterly off tha hook.

Or we can just count Asty's two cents as more like four cents, considerng he is a mod and all. Up ta you kids!

Need some light readng?
Old August 29th, 2011 (09:44 AM).
IanDonyer
Time to kick ass? Definitely.

Location: Remember? Yeah, I live at that place! At the time, with the thing! =D
Nature: Modest
Aye, at least two more thugz need ta vote fo me. Than we'll be set! =D

Personally, I'm all fo just lettng tha mods let thair votes be tha tiebreaker. Astnus and b&bep;b is certanly trustworthy enough not ta be biased on anythng.

Thanks ta ShnySandshrew of serebiifoums fo tha banner!
Old August 29th, 2011 (01:46 PM).
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I be fully willng ta accept bribes.

I mean of course tha mods will be unbiased n thair choosng of tha first FFotM!

I only have two fics out of tha list left ta read, so I can make a fully nfomed decision if need be. I'll also poke bnb.
Old August 29th, 2011 (06:43 PM).
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
I tao will accept-uh, I mean I also can vote as a tiebreaker if need be. But yeah, git votng othar thugz!
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old August 30th, 2011 (08:23 PM).
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Here's a good question: What time zone is we gong by? Coz tha poll closes on September 1, but is that September 1st midnight Eastern Time Zone? GMT? R5T?

Right now, thare is no tie, but thare's only one vote difference between tha two leaders, so it could still go eithar way. And if I know what time (zone) tha poll is gong ta end, we'll know better when tha poll is gong ta close. And votng, when that needs ta be done by snce tha poll isn't gong ta close on its own.

I hate ben sick, btw.
Old August 31st, 2011 (07:37 AM).
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

That is a classy question right thare.

Mostly, I was thnkng of gong by EST, not only coz it's easier fo yos truly wit her lovely beounts of fail at figurng out time zones ta figure out but also, coz I'll probably throw tha August nomnations up tamorrow evenng, that should give othars plenty of time ta git n last-mnute votes. (Australia is n tha future, after all.) Even if I git bored and throw it up at midnight tanight, pretty much half tha world would already be well witn September 1, right?

Any objections ta dis idea?

Need some light readng?
Old August 31st, 2011 (10:04 AM).
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I can be even classier! :v

EST sounds fne ta me. It's mah time zone as well, so I don't have ta figure everythng out eithar.
Old August 31st, 2011 (05:36 PM).
Misheard Whisper
#1 Yancy fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
EST works fo me, tao. (Not that I matter that much, but y'know) I can keep track of it quite quickly coz most nternet thngs tend ta go by EST and I've gotsten used ta it somewhat. also I went ta New York once so now it's like mah second language but n time zones. yeah.
Old August 31st, 2011 (08:55 PM).
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

And polls is closed!

On behalf of tha FF&bep;W, congratulations go out ta Misheard Whisper coz wit six votes, Crushed is our very first FotM!

Misheard, if you'd like, you can nclude a summary of tha fic on tha new rec list. Simply contact me or leave a reply here ta let us know how you want thugz ta see yo fic from here on out. Just a couple of lnes would do. Tha thread will abuse tha spoiler tag, but we'd still like ta keep thngs neat.

Congratulations also go out ta Dagzar, whose fic Mentar cbee n second place by just two ponts. Of course, a round of applause fo all tha nomnees as well as everyone who was ncluded n July's batch of eligible fics!

Lastly, thanks ta everyone who's helpng ta shape tha FotM so far. You're tha reason why it's gong so off tha hookly. b)'')b

Keep an eye out fo both tha rec list and tha August nomnations thread. Both will be up shortly.

Need some light readng?
Old September 8th, 2011 (11:25 AM).
Misheard Whisper
#1 Yancy fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
Whoops, late. Thanks fo everyone who voted fo Crushed!

Summary, err . . . *racks bran ta try and remember how that stary went*

Let's go wit: "That red curtan, it seems, is all she's ever known. Thugz gawp at her every day and call her a freak, and she can do nothng ta stap tham. Can she free herself from tha everlastng nightmis of pan and humiliation?"

Gawds, that's knda depressng and emo. Oh well, it's tha ff.net summary.

Sponsored Links