< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub Discussion If I could turn back time...

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread Closed Thread
Old August 24th, 2011 (6:20 AM). Edited August 25th, 2011 by DrFuji.
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier
Nature: Jolly
No, this thread is not about pop stars who have gone way beyond past their use-by date and straddle a cannon half naked.

Imagine if you had the ability to travel back to the point where you first decided to make a ROM hack and speak to the past version of yourself for an hour. Rather than telling them that week's lottery numbers, you decide to waste your precious opportunity and tell them something you know about ROM hacking. Basically, what would you teach a past version of yourself/ advise them to do in terms of ROM Hacking?

Would you tell them to improve their initial hack's story so it didn't involve Team Galactic and Team Magma chasing a shiny Sandslash while combating the 'Pie Patrol' for control of Hoenn? Perhaps you would plead with them to stop making team threads that die within two days of their creation? Maybe you would teach them how to script so they don't have spend a year using A-Text.

Personally, I would teach myself how to insert tiles. I spent just under half a year working with the default tilesets and by the time I learnt how to tile insert, I was sick of hacking in general and ready to quit. While the lesson itself doesn't seem like much, I'm sure it would have made a huge difference to how I saw ROM Hacking back then and made me more motivated earlier in my hacking career.
Old August 24th, 2011 (4:37 PM).
kevin del rey
Silver Tier
Ohh. I would teach myself to script instead of using that Advance Text tool. Step by step to make it easier for myself. That way my first hack thread would've looked more nice and more different rather than simple map / script edits.
Old August 24th, 2011 (8:10 PM).
Minnesotan, you betcha!
Nature: Rash
Definitely tile inserting, because there aren't any clear tutorials saying you HAVE to recolor the tiles into the colors in the palette. That confused me for a LONG time.

Beta 1 Coming Soon! ||||||||||
Old August 25th, 2011 (12:28 AM).
Left for good
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Sincerely enough, I'd convince my past self to never bother with ROM Hacking and concentrate on other things. I have my reasons for it. But what's done is done.

But let's say I can't do otherwise and have to teach me something from ROM Hacking. Well, that would be scripting, yeah. Took me 2 months to quit PKV.
This is my December . . .
Old August 25th, 2011 (12:44 AM).
Nature: Lonely
"Get better control of your anger. Learn to step away from the computer when things get too frustrating. Save yourself some frustration. You'll get discouraged less, and you'll be less likely to burn out."
Old August 25th, 2011 (1:16 AM).
Let's Keep It Simple
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
i would teach myself as good as now in tile inserting
and scripting too
Old August 25th, 2011 (3:58 AM).
C(++) Developer.
Silver Tier
Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
I would turn back when terms like 'repoint' , 'assemble', and 'compile' scared me immensely and tell myself "It's not that big of a deal, genius."

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old August 25th, 2011 (4:01 AM).
Silver Tier
Nature: Modest
Probably nothing. I think I learned everything at a good pace. And my mistakes/trial-and-error just made me better in the end.
あなた は しきしゃ です
わたし は ばか です
Old August 25th, 2011 (6:26 AM).
Senior Darthatron stole my answer.

I don't think I would change one single thing about my ROM hacking experience. I've found that everything I've done has just led to a better understanding of what ROM hacking actually is. My initial reaction to this was: "I would tell myself to never bother with Gen 3 hacking and go straight to Gen 1 hacking." However, I quickly realized that I would not be able to hack Gen 1 very well without my background in Gen 3 hacking.
Old August 25th, 2011 (7:42 AM).
Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
Make sure I insert tiles before I start mapping so after 2 weeks of work I don't have to start again...

Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.
Old August 25th, 2011 (7:35 PM).
Anspruchsvolle Narr
Nature: Brave
To always keep no less than three backups of the same rom at the same time on each machine, and when I back it up overwrite two of them with the new version while leaving the third in case I screwed something up.

Hacking for four years, just figured this out like two months ago.
Old August 28th, 2011 (8:42 AM).
Crystal Tier
Nature: Quiet
Give up before you get hooked.
Old September 2nd, 2011 (9:59 AM).
Guess who's back?
Nature: Naughty
I would say scripting ... but, I still can't make heads or tails of it.
Anyway, It would be mapping, my mapping use to suck badder than it already i
Old September 16th, 2011 (1:14 PM).
Pro Hacker
Scripting, and music hacking, 'cause I never knew how to do that 'til this year.
Old September 22nd, 2011 (7:27 AM).
No0b, but getting there.
Nature: Bold
My hacks storyline. So I wouldn't have wasted all of summer on basically nothing.

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old September 23rd, 2011 (7:59 PM).
Crystal Tier
Haha, most people have said either tile inserting or scripting.
I'd have to go with scripting. For six years of ROM hacking, I'm still to this day dumbed to scripting. I can write basic scripts but I find it extremely difficult to be bothered to write more complex ones. Should've gotten started with that, instead of writing hundreds of useless storylines. .__.
Old September 27th, 2011 (7:16 AM).
Nostalgia Edition
Silver Tier
I'd definitely say teach myself to script, its so much easier than looking like a noob and asking everyone to help me out.
It can't end now. Not like this.

I hope you’ll remember, there is something good in goodbye.

Old September 27th, 2011 (12:12 PM).
Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Nature: Calm
Definitely scripting. It took me forever to grasp how to organize scripts, how to use flags and variables, how to compile/decompile scripts etc...

Yeah...it would have been better for me if I could have skipped all the trouble and understood scripting better from the beginning (less frustration).
Old September 27th, 2011 (1:27 PM).
Also known as Chozo
I would teach myself to sprite, so I wouldn't have to rely on trying to get someone else to do it.
Old hacks I liked back in the day:

Old September 29th, 2011 (9:19 PM).
Sea of Dreams - Redux
Silver Tier
Basically I would say this...

"Skip that its gonna be BS and never finished, and that one, oh and that one, and yeah, also learn how to sprite earlier, script, ASM, etc...", because I have a lot of cancelled projects, and I mean A LOT, I really needed to get my head straight and work on ONE thing...

Mystic still in work to let you know...
Old October 13th, 2011 (11:08 PM).
Pierce the heavens
Gold Tier
Nature: Modest
I'd probably say stick to your idea and never give up. I inevitably gave up rom hacking because I didn't have the time. That's what highschool and now college is doing to me. Now I spend all my time lurking PC occasionally to see if there is something new. God damn it I need to get back into romhacking.
Paired with Druyii.
Old October 15th, 2011 (9:42 AM).
I wouldn't go back and do anything. The tools I used when I started were the hard ones back when Scizz and others like Zel were on the scene. I hated the old scripting methods and elitemap. Many other tools as well. Eventually it was made easier with the newer tools we see updated today.

So I think I learned at a reasonable rate. I'm now very good at scripting thanks to past mistakes.
Old October 15th, 2011 (10:04 AM).
Wild Duck Pokémon
Gold TierCS
Nature: Impish
Jesus, it would be to be better with my memory usage. Do you know how much crap was wasted in Jupiter because of crappy mapping.

Old October 16th, 2011 (8:45 AM).
I am Earthquake.
Crystal Tier
Send a message via Skype™ to Jönne
I'd tell myself to immediately try mapping, ask my friend about tile inserting so I could be the best of the best when I'd be in the position to make a hack (have a team, for example).
I'd also try to convince myself not to waste any time in scripting... lol
Take Off OOC / IC | Pair
Old October 20th, 2011 (4:40 PM).
Change Scorpion
Gold Tier
Nature: Brave
I would tell my past self to actually make your first hack not immature with random maps,swears, and people talking like they're texting all the time.
Closed Thread Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links