The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 24th, 2011 (04:27 PM).
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
Are there certain things in the Black and White games that really strike you as annoying? For example, it could maybe be the cutscenes, or the way something is executed.

Personally, I find the loading time for a lot of things very irritating. You have to wait quite some time before you can enter a building, or before you battle a trainer. With trainers, it takes so long that sometimes I'm not sure whether my game freezed or not (I muted the game most of the time, so I can't judge by the sound).

team super cotton ×
Old August 24th, 2011 (04:38 PM).
Hawk.
The Hawist

Nature: Timid
Load times, Lack of water Pokemon, most legendary Pokemon outside of Reshiram and Zekrom, and that's about it. Those irritate me the most and it was quite difficult playing the story. Oh and I also find the starter Pokemon quite irritating, but Oshawott is okay.

Old August 24th, 2011 (06:39 PM).
Reshiram Man
Resident Peacekeeper

Nature: Modest
A lot of types were lacking in number.
Types like Poison, Electric, Fire, etc.
The place where I was born

Scars, she’s got her scars
Sometimes it starts to worry me
Cause lose, I don’t want to lose
Sight of who we are

From the mountains high
To the wave-crashed coast
There’s a way to find
Better days I know

It’s been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
This is still the place
That we all call home
Old August 24th, 2011 (08:07 PM).
dieter57
pokemon master

Nature: Hardy
the fact that i traded in my DSi for a 3DS and now i have worse graphics.
i know it's DSi enhanced and all but really? i have an HD gaming system and i have blurry graphics?

I'M BACK IN
Old August 24th, 2011 (10:28 PM).
christopher salutes
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Serious
that victini is like two inches tall and powns, they need better legendaries
Old August 25th, 2011 (12:15 AM).
cazzler
Feraligatr FtW!

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cazzler
The only thing that irritates me in Black is the battle music, everything else I can live with.
Old August 25th, 2011 (12:34 AM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I have a pretty good list of those:
-Having to catch Reshiram/Zekrom at the very end of the game. I would've liked it if they were caught a bit earlier than that so I could use them in the first round against the Elite 4.
-The rarity of Tynamo in Chargestone Cave. Seriously, those things were very hard to find, and whenever I saw one, I couldn't help but try to catch it.
-Having to trade Cinccino for Munchlax. Honestly, I would've liked a Herdier or Stoutland as the Pokemon to be traded instead.
-Clowns being changed to "Harlequins." I would've liked it if they stuck to "Clown" in the English version.

Old August 25th, 2011 (03:44 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
- Forced capture of cover legendaries
- UI design being a little bit too basic in certain menus
- I wish there was an "extended battle animations" mode, because somehow it feels TOO fast in certain times...
- Featureless battle backgrounds
Old August 25th, 2011 (04:44 AM).
Mik90
Beginning Trainer

Uhm, basically:

• Battle designs (err, too much "pixel-in-your-eyes" anyone? It's like playing with Red/Blu =/)
• All the battles with rivals (after every damned gym -__-")
Old August 25th, 2011 (05:01 AM).
empty streets
Ace trainer ★

Nature: Brave
The pixels of your pokemon back
Most pokemon design
The female character design
And pretty much everything else.
Ugh, I prefer playing Soul Silver after playing White.
Old August 25th, 2011 (05:14 AM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I was irritated by the last of menu on the touch screen like HG/SS. That was something I really enjoyed, and since I never use my C-Gear, I just had a black screen for quite a bit of time on my touchscreen.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old August 25th, 2011 (05:38 AM).
johnny18
Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
These are the things that I found irritated:
1. The C-Gear thing since I did not use it a lot.
2. Holding the B button again
3. Surf is barely for the entire story.
4. Too many bridges
Old August 25th, 2011 (05:41 AM).
shinysweety
In it to win it! :D

Nature: Jolly
I think the following are really annoying:
1. The fact you have to wait to get into a building
2. Allot of the pokemon designs
3. The way you get Audino in a shaking patch of grass (They give you tons of EXP more than many pokemon and if you wana battle one just keep running near grass until you see a shaking patch, then go on it but CATION it may take a long time)
4. The new B/W female Character (not as good as the other me think)
5. The legendaries, there is only one cute one!
And last the Gym, there was a really hard one at this library O_O

Click 'n' Hover~
Wonderful Pair~

Blog~

PC Family~

My Profile~

Theme~
Old August 25th, 2011 (05:41 AM).
greg0915
Tomorrow is a new day
Community Supporter

The Battle Subway! it's such a let down compared with the Battle Frontier on HG/SS. and the fact that only 2 people can connect to battle in the Wi-Fi room, me and 3 friend want to do double battles over Wi-Fi and team up to do Battle Subway Battle Frontier. Also trying to connect over Wi-Fi is so annoying!!!
Old August 25th, 2011 (09:17 AM).
PokéSwimmer
Keeping time time time

What really irritated me about this game was the fact that you have the rarely used C-Gear on the bottom screen taking up space that could have been used for a HGSS style menu. Seriously, they should have just made it a key item that you can access from your bag.
What also irritated me was the removal of some very good features from HGSS such as Walking Pokémon and the automatic running shoes.

The back sprites and the load times never bothered me though.

Old August 25th, 2011 (09:28 AM).
double trouble!
Psyduck

The removal of the Lv. 50/100 battle option...
Flat rules aren't good enough, they're limited to 3v3.
Because of this, I haven't felt like playing.
Old August 25th, 2011 (01:39 PM).
2Cool4Mewtwo
Pwning in Ubers since 1996.

Nature: Rash
Removal of some good TMs such as Stealth Rock and Giga Drain and "replacing" them with noob moves that are only good situationally, but I guess that could apply for the whole of this generation.

And, also...

Spoiler:

Old August 25th, 2011 (02:36 PM).
Ingo
Fire Breather Dick

Nature: Lax
Things that irked me
Lame battle theme
Lame wild pokemon battle theme
Lame Champion theme (But awesome battle subway boss theme, it should have only been for Ingo and Emmet)
Lame Rival theme and rivals (Although N was fantastic)
Lame Gym leader theme
Half of the pokemon this gen sucks (Although sme, like Scrafty, are good)
Awful C-Gear(Only used it for in game how about never)
Lame Victory Road (But good Music)
Barely any other types of Pokemon (How many new poison, fire, ghost types did you see? How many of them were good?
Lackluster tm's (They got rid of Drain punch! Ooh boy they must have added something bette- TM PECK! Trainer: Peck, when the heck in a battle will I use peck?
Old August 25th, 2011 (04:28 PM).
an illegible mess.
commie bastard.

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to an illegible mess.
bianca and cheren. they were like stalkers or something, i mean they followed you EVERYWHERE, and then they always asked you to battle you're like all weak and stuff... it's kind of like gary oak all over again.

tumblr.|ao3.|ff.net.|8tracks
.self-assured mutual destruction.
Old August 25th, 2011 (04:57 PM).
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

Cheren and Bianca battling you like every route
Having to battle N pretty often
How hard it is to level grind.
The forced capture of legendaries, and the shiny checks that were applies to certain legendaries.
Old August 25th, 2011 (05:04 PM).
Kevin
kevin del rey
Community Supporter

Every time you walk into a place it zooms in. That's pretty unneeded.

And the Gym Leader music / Champion music could have been better in my opinion.
Old August 25th, 2011 (05:55 PM). Edited August 25th, 2011 by Mista T.
Mista T
Pityin' fools.

Alright, I understand this is all opinion, but I must address some statements that have been made:

1) Too few Ghost-types. Gen I introduced 1 new Ghost family; Gen II, 1; Gen III, 4 (Shedinja included); Gen IV, 5 (Froslass included, Dusknoir not); Gen V, 4, all of which have multiple evolutions. Thus, the amount of Ghost-types is indeed higher than it has been in any generation, while the amount of families is similar to that of the previous two Gens. It's the same for the Fire- and Electric-types. Perhaps you guys are just forgetful, but there were plenty of Pokemon representing these types.

2) The pixelated battle sprites. This is a result of three converging factors: the new battle camera, moving sprites, and the retention of a traditional spriting style. Sprites have always had the same amount of pixels. What's happening now is that the camera and battle movements make the individual pixels more apparent. If you want the battle sprites to be of higher resolution, you are basically crushing nostalgia for others. The sprites would no longer look like those to which we are accustomed.

3) Rival battles. More rival battles allow more chances for EXP gaining, a deeper story, and more of a challenge. Someone said that these more frequent encounters are reminiscent of Gary Oak. Good. It was mentioned that you have to battle N fairly often. This comment actually stupefies me. You have to battle him 5 times throughout the story, with each occasion adding more to his tale and further unraveling the mystery surrounding Team Plasma. If it is the fact that you are battling that irks you, perhaps you should find a different game to play, considering Pokemon is a game of battling.

4) The C-Gear. I get the feeling this thread contains posters who do not, for the most part, have friends who play Pokemon. Otherwise, they would know the value of the C-Gear. It allows for quick battles and trades, the ability to go in another player's game, and the ability to access the Dream World, among other neat things. The difference between accessing the C-Gear and accessing the menu screen is a press of the X button. It's manageable.

5) Level grinding. Audino. The Lucky Egg. The experience Pass Power. Trainers in the Nimbasa sports arenas. The new experience system based on comparative level. All of these factors lead to perhaps the fastest level grinding ever.

6) Removal of the Stealth Rock TM. Game Freak did this because Stealth Rock was annoyingly good at singling out certain Pokemon, such as Beautifly, who already didn't have much going for them. Giga Drain and Drain Punch are no longer TMs because their new base power makes them godly, and thus, they are to remain somewhat exclusive. Someone said Drain Punch's TM now contains Peck. It contains Quash, and if you can't figure out how to use it, you aren't thinking hard enough. Clearly, it's for Double and Triple Battles. I suppose most of you are accustomed to Single play.

Music and game aesthetics are always debatable, so I'll leave those untouched. You can continue to dislike the way that the topics that I touched upon were handled in these games, but know that it would be considerably worse and less popular if they had been handled in the way you imagine they should.

Also, one last thing. Too many bridges? Unless the poster of this comment has experienced some trauma concerning bridges in his lifetime, I don't understand this statement. New York City has many bridges. Bridges showcase the new camera angles. Bridges contain some of the best music. Bridges contain the EV Wings. Skyarrow Bridge allows for a very long and straight path that is ideal for breeders. Why are bridges a symbol of hate?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Garbodium?feature=guide
Old August 25th, 2011 (06:10 PM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
4) The C-Gear. I get the feeling this thread contains posters who do not, for the most part, have friends who play Pokemon. Otherwise, they would know the value of the C-Gear. It allows for quick battles and trades, the ability to go in another player's game, and the ability to access the Dream World, among other neat things. The difference between accessing the C-Gear and accessing the menu screen is a press of the X button. It's manageable.
I access the Dream World, battling, and trading maybe once a day for DW and once every couple of days for battling/trading/Entralinking. I access the menu at least 10 times every time I play. It's a reasonable complaint to say that I would have preferred the menu system in HG/SS, as that would have been infinitely more useful. I don't think the game would have been less popular if you had to press a button to access the C-Gear as opposed to the menu, and certainly not significantly worse, if at all.

For the record, all the friends that I am regularly with play Pokemon and own either Black, White, or both.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old August 25th, 2011 (06:13 PM).
Mista T
Pityin' fools.

Fair enough, Toujours. I just think it's simpler to have the C-Gear as default and press X to access the menu than it would be to have the menu be the default and the C-Gear be in the key items pocket of the bag. I suppose with the improved item-selecting system, however, it wouldn't have been too hard to access the C-Gear if it were in the bag. Point taken.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Garbodium?feature=guide
Old August 25th, 2011 (06:22 PM).
Shadow-L
Lonesome Road

Well, I found that there was a small number of types to use around the middle of your journey, so your team was easily destroyed by even wild Pokemon. C-gear was also confusing, and it was probably even more so for newer Pokemon gamers. You also had to level grind A LOT for the Elite 4, who were pretty annoying in themselves.

YouTube // Fragging Rights // Go Beyond.
WHOA I'M BACK
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links