Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Playground
Reload this Page Don't Let the Catz say Zero! [DLTMS0 v4.0]

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Playground It's time to save yourself from the everyday trials and tribulations of your vigorous post day. Welcome to the Playground, where the only posts are frantic fun and hilarious hijinks.

Closed Thread

Old January 26th, 2013 (05:24 PM). Edited January 26th, 2013 by Seth Rollins.
Team Johto

Nature: Calm

I hate Dragon Ball z lol. I never got interested in Dragon Ball Z, so I don't know if it sucks or not.
Old January 26th, 2013 (05:30 PM).
Team Unova
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky

Dragon Ball Z is epic fail for me, too many male characters!

#teamunova

tumblr | twitter | lovely pairs | ask me
adoption center mentor | fairy club | water club

Old January 26th, 2013 (05:32 PM). Edited January 26th, 2013 by machomuu.
We'll practice like it's 1999!
Team Kanto

Nature: Relaxed

Eh...it's really the people that like it for nostalgic value alone that slightly bother me. I was like that for a while, but I haven't watched the "censored aired Toonami" version in years (mainly because Toonami went off), I've mainly kept to the Uncut Funimation version. Reason being, if you get someone who liked something when they were a kid, like say, anything on Toonami, they will talk about it in the context as if they were a kid. They'll say things like, "Oh, I remember that show, that was the show with the people with the big hair and the powers", and that's not what these shows are; they're better than that. That's largely why I went back to watch the show uncut, to see if my interest in the show was genuine.

But I will agree, Dragon Ball Z did have too many male characters; I really wish Toriyama had implemented more female characters. He tried to in the end, with Bra, Videl, and Pan...but there could have been more. Way more.

Other than that, my favorite anime, movies included, is Summer Wars, hands down. I don't think any movie, in terms of animation, small details, characters, music, and story has ever gripped me as much as Summer Wars has. It was surprising, because I was sure that my favorite movie would always be a Studio Ghibli production.

EDIT: WAT
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=293764

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS!?
Old January 26th, 2013 (05:46 PM).
Banned
Team Johto

Nature: Gentle

Yet to see Summer Wars, the fact it was directed by the guy that did The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, a film I was massively underwhelmed by is probably holding me back.

Kiki's Delivery Service is my favourite anime film, in fact it's probably in my top 5 films ever. Ghost in the Shell, Adolescence of Utena and Grave of the Fireflies were all pretty great, also.

The number of females in Dragon Ball didn't bother me one bit. I liked the ones that were in it and that's enough for me.
Old January 26th, 2013 (05:56 PM).
Team Kanto

Don't worry about that, I was underwhelmed by The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, as well. Though I won't say I didn't like it, it had a VASTLY different impact on me than Summer Wars did (not to mention that they are vastly different movies, in more ways than you'll expect).

Though I think my interest in TGWLTT was largely governed by the massive amounts of good reception I've seen of it. Plus the fact that, well, it was made by the creator of my favorite movie. Usually I'm able to cast those out, but there are cases when I can't, and I'd suspect that this is one such example. Expectations ruin everything, after all.

Also, I love Kiki as well, it's one of my favorite Studio Ghibli movies, too. My favorite of them is probably Whisper of the Heart, for personal reasons (well, not too personal that I wouldn't share them) and because, well, I think it's a very good movie (though it's really the combination of those things that makes it my favorite, or at least the most important to me).

I'd watch Adolescence, but I need to watch the show over again first. The first time I watched it...I dunno...but I did like it. Sadly, the Funi channel didn't air it to the end, so I didn't finish it.
Old January 26th, 2013 (06:03 PM).
Banned
Team Johto

Utena is one of the very few shows to utterly make my jaw drop, despite the obvious flaws it's undoubtedly my favourite series. Only Galaxy Express 999 and One Piece get near it, for me.
Old January 26th, 2013 (06:18 PM).
Team Kanto

Really? I wouldn't have taken you as one who likes anything in the Big Three, especially not to the extent of putting it close to Utena.

...Of course, then again, I guess people are that way with me and Dragon Ball Z...I'm not really the type to delve into Shonen easily anymore. When I was younger, I was in love with things like Naruto and Bleach, but since then my senses sharpened- not to say that those shows are beneath me, but I'm more the type of person to put story and characters in front of...well...whatever it was that I liked about Naruto and Bleach as a child (In the case of DBZ, though, I like it mostly for the storytelling and underlying themes). Heck, the reason I like One Piece so much is largely for those reasons, and for the fact that each flashback for the characters hits an increasingly emotional note. I like to be touched by anime to the point where I won't want to call the police.

I'm really interested in Utena, though. It touches on themes such as sex, homosexuality and the like, has interesting characters and character relationships, and, well, it's just plain interesting. I do want to watch it at some point.

Same with Galaxy Express 999, I still can't believe I haven't watched that.
Old January 26th, 2013 (06:21 PM).
No Jokes #MegaCharizard
Team Hoenn

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Rodriguezjames55
50 wifi finally fixed back from the dead
Old January 26th, 2013 (06:23 PM).
Team Kanto

Can I get an knife and kill it again? :D
Old January 26th, 2013 (06:52 PM).
Banned
Team Johto

I'm really quite big on the shounen demographic, actually. The "Big 3" will always have a place in my heart.

One Piece is far from perfect (especially the anime) but as you mentioned it has the potential to take you on an emotional roller-coaster, the world is imaginative and changing, you'll very rarely dislike a character and the boss fights are some of the most memorable in anime history. It's easily one of my favourite series and I'm sure I'll say the same thing in the distant future when it finishes.

Naruto has more peaks and troughs than any other series for me but it's great fun for the most part. After investing so many hours into it I don't think I could just stop, not until he gets is best friend back anyway. ;__;

Bleach, I don't even know. A fun urban fantasy followed by a pretty well done save the princess arc followed by.......dark days. I enjoyed some of the Aizen stuff and the currently ongoing arc is reigniting my passion for the show. Oh Tite Kubo, such an enigma.

So yeah, depending on my mood I can get enjoyment out of pretty much any genre. A battle shounen is never going to be intellectually stimulating but sometimes watching underaged boys punch each others faces in is all you need.
Old January 26th, 2013 (07:13 PM).
Team Kanto

I'm the same way, I don't have any particular bias for any genre, it just so happens that, as of late, few Shonen have caught my eye- which leads me into something else.

I really think that the "Shonen" and "Shoujo" genres should be renamed. Partially because it sort of labels interests to the sexes, but also because it creates bias among the consumers. I don't have too much of a problem with it, but when my friends don't watch an anime because it has "Shoujo" in the genres category, which is a little "macho" if you ask me. I mean, it makes sense when you consider that the two mean "boy" and "girl" respectively, but...well, that's kinda the problem. It's almost as if those labels are trying to dictate who buys them.
Old January 26th, 2013 (07:27 PM).
Banned
Team Johto

I hated Vampire Knight so why should I bother with any other shoujo. Yup, I've heard logic like that far too often. It really is a shame that people think like that as the shoujo market has some real gold. Utena, Rose of Versailles, Oneesama e... and Cardcaptor Sakura are a few of my favourites and I know a lot of anime fans will never see them.

It's of course the same with Shounen. They're all mindless wastelands of filler, right? THE HORROR!
Old January 26th, 2013 (07:33 PM).
Team Kanto

Exactly, and the worst part about it is that it's so hard to convince them otherwise. It's the main reason why I'm so gungho against closed mindedness in society, which is pretty prominent in contemporary society. People are just to scared and unwilling to jump into something new or something that will "make them less of a man/woman", and that's sad.
Old January 26th, 2013 (07:47 PM). Edited January 26th, 2013 by Weeaboo Name.
Banned
Team Johto

People that think like that are very hard to convince otherwise, I've found. I guess people have their comfort zones and we have to respect that.

Also I have officially hit 3000+ posts in this thread alone. Quite an achievement.
Old January 27th, 2013 (02:16 AM).
a fiery passion
Team Johto
Crystal Tier

Whoops, I haven't been here in a while.

Old January 27th, 2013 (03:43 AM).
An awesome usertitle
Team Kanto
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy

It's when you see that you have over three and a half thousand posts in one thread when you realise how much time you pour into this place.

How many posts I have in OT itself, I dare not find out.

Old January 27th, 2013 (09:33 AM).
Actually not mad at all
Team Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Jolly

Damn... I was already astounded bout the fact that i got around 250 posts here XD
Old January 27th, 2013 (09:44 AM).
Screamer
Team Johto

Nature: Naughty
I really hate when people judge a book by its cover. And I hate it when people don't give stuff that actually deserves recognition its due importance. But that's just how the world rolls. Can't do anything about it, I suppose.

« screamer n devourer of souls /æ/ main account /æ/ theme »

Old January 27th, 2013 (10:09 AM).
An awesome usertitle
Team Kanto
Crystal Tier

I agree completely, but how are people supposed to know what everything is like beyond the "cover"? Unfortunately it's not possible to give everything a fair chance. :/
As you said, there's not much to be done about it.

Old January 27th, 2013 (10:38 AM). Edited January 27th, 2013 by Drekavac.
Screamer
Team Johto

Nature: Naughty
Yep, not really possible for everyone to judge stuff by experiencing it - as is the case with you, Pokey. Limited time + virtually unlimited stuff that can be experienced = not everything getting a fair chance. But I was mostly referring to people who hate things just for the sake of hating - riding on the hate parade for no reason at all besides the fact that it is the 'in' thing. Or are just biased because certain things belong to certain genre and whatnot.

« screamer n devourer of souls /æ/ main account /æ/ theme »

Old January 27th, 2013 (10:58 AM).
An awesome usertitle
Team Kanto
Crystal Tier

That can certainly be pretty dumb.
Shame that's how we humans work though. Damn natural prejudice. :(

Old January 27th, 2013 (11:00 AM).
menacing
Team Hoenn
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely

Yeah. It should be named - The Law of Humans as Sheep. Kinda similar to the law of natural selection and stuff, lmao. :p
Old January 27th, 2013 (11:04 AM).
An awesome usertitle
Team Kanto
Crystal Tier

Hmm, sheep makes it sound really negative though.
We need stuff like prejudice to work socially and to survive. :3c

Old January 27th, 2013 (11:17 AM).
Team Kanto

I dunno, I could see an "open-minded society" working, one where there is no such thing as a niche and if someone doesn't like something then it would be for genuine reason rather than prejudice.

...However, I think the reason that such a society sounds so absurd is because we live in a society that is so dependent on niche and and prejudice; it's in everything we do. I think of it like I think of 1984 (if any of you have read it); the people in the book, save for a few, do not feel that they are being oppressed because, for the most part, that is all they no of what society is supposed to be. They don't know life is like without Big Brother, or without Telescreens, and without the thought police. They would probably say that our world is the absurd one, because we would seem crazy and too unrestricted by comparison. That's really us and how we look at a completely, or mostly open minded society.
Old January 27th, 2013 (11:36 AM).
An awesome usertitle
Team Kanto
Crystal Tier

As we as a species are now, I don't think a "true" open-minded society can exist.
Even from such a lifestyle, a human being will always have biases and prejudice (against non-open mindedness, possibly).

They can be questioned though, and in most cases they definitely should. I'm all for a world that is as rational and open-minded as possible. :)

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links