Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Sideshow Showcase
Reload this Page Emerald hack: Pokemon Expert Emerald~ FINAL BETA RELEASED (Project Complete)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Overall Hack Rating!
★★★★★ 607 69.21%
★★★★ 187 21.32%
★★★ 45 5.13%
★★ 8 0.91%
30 3.42%
Voters: 877. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 10th, 2014 (01:25 AM). Edited July 10th, 2014 by OminousFlare.

Well, overall, this hack isn't too bad. I found it while I was searching for a complete Pokedex hack, not a difficulty hack, but the balance in difficulty is somewhat more satisfying than the vanilla version, so I can't complain much.

However, I do have several problems with this hack, specifically the authenticity that's deprived from the vanilla version. Or to put it in another way, a number of changes don't make sense.

For example, Rusturf Tunnel. In the original version, the tunnel was entirely made out of Whismur, the "Pokemon that will cause an uproar if disturbed by the tunnel-digging." Taking that away from the game, the "disturbing the Pokemon" part doesn't make sense.

Secondly, why does a mere reporter and a cameraman have the power-level to train uber-powerful Pokemon like Nidoking and Nidoqueen? Sure, it raises the difficulty spike... at the cost of making sense. The fisherman who later says, "Hey Magikarp, you sure don't live up to your name, do you?" who doesn't even own a Magikarp is another one of the many senseless trainers around this hack whose Pokemon don't match their character archetypes or their dialogues.

Another thing, a Water/Grass type Omanyte? A Steel/Water type Kabuto? Really? How does that even work? It made sense with the rock type in the original game because they're fossilized Pokemon.

Also, why would you take away one of the best abilities in the entire game - Trace - from Gardevoir, and replace it with the utterly useless Insomnia? To increase the difficulty spike again? Really? Sigh... You know, difficulty-increase aside, there's little fun when such balance-throwing mechanics are thrown out just to make the game extremely frustrating for the players.

Furthermore, some of the Pokemon cries are broken or just plain weird. Sceptile has this rock-breaking sound at the end of her cry, while Nuzleaf has a similar speaker-breaking cry that's just as loud, obnoxious, and annoying.

And another thing - by making a number of species entirely female or male means that we don't get to breed certain egg moves that might have allowed us to plan strategically against your so-called difficulty spike, but of course, now that you've made Torkoal all females, we now can't get an Umbreon who knows the egg move of Curse. Gee, good job!

Putting ALL that aside, the other parts of this hack are not too shabby, such as the stat-increase and some of the moveset changes, not to mention the convenient evolutions of trade-evolution Pokemon. And while the inclusion of Kanto/Johto Pokemon do make me question the sensibility of the game's lore once again, I do have to say that it's quite convenient indeed. Though I do question the idea of putting the weakest of the three Starter Grass Pokemon at the beginning of the game. I get that it's another one of those 'difficulty' things, but Meganium sucks. Forced me to choose a Treecko at the beginning instead of the best starter, Mudkip.

Take notes from the Perfect Heart/Perfect Soul hacks. They did increase the difficulty spike somewhat without changing what the original game had intended, while letting players catch every Pokemon at the same time. That's a good hack. This so-called 'Expert Emerald'? It is not. Now I'm stuck in the middle of the game with this hack, because restarting from the beginning with a new hackless save would be a pain in the ass. Thanks a lot.
Old July 11th, 2014 (11:02 AM).

Hello! i cannot seem to find dusclops anywhere on mt. pyre, any suggestions?
Old July 11th, 2014 (11:41 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Ravian555:
Can you tell me where is Entei and Moltres in this game, i don't know where it is since the screenshot show that Moltres appear in the entrance of Victory Road, but i can't find it, and i don't know what area it is in Entei screenshot
Entei is on the route that the berry master is on. However, it's on the half of the route with all the ledges. It is next to a lake-like body of water. Idk what to tell you about Moltres.
Old July 11th, 2014 (11:04 PM). Edited July 11th, 2014 by OminousFlare.

Thanks for taking away one of the most powerful Pokemon's ability that's also one of the best abilities in the game - Blissey's Serene Grace. And don't get me started with her SpD stat-nerfing. Now I can't use it against Battle Frontier or your overall difficulty spike.

Oh, and you gave it yet another useless ability, Cute Charm, which against doesn't make as much sense as Clefairy or Jigglypuff, since she's a fatass compared to those two.

Thank God I'm still able to hack your game by using Pokemon Encyclopedia and restore the stats while replacing Serene Grace with Natural Cure.

And another thing - why would you give Blissey the four elemental punches when you nerfed down her SpA stats? That's just stupid. Furthermore... how does that even make sense, in terms of the lore? What is she, a HitmonChansey? How's she going to punch with those stubby hands?
Old July 11th, 2014 (11:58 PM). Edited July 12th, 2014 by Aruaruu.

@OminousFlare

Chill. If these things are truly bugging you, there is always the option of using editors like YAPE and G3HS to change Pokemon Base Stats, Types and all that other stuff to your liking.

However...
Quote:
Furthermore, some of the Pokemon cries are broken or just plain weird. Sceptile has this rock-breaking sound at the end of her cry, while Nuzleaf has a similar speaker-breaking cry that's just as loud, obnoxious, and annoying.
For this issue you will need to make your own rom hack, as this is something not easily fixed.
If you decide to make your own rom hack, search up tutorials on scripting (possibly mapping too) and on how to prevent emerald sound corruption if you don't want obnoxious, loud and annoying cries for various Pokemon. Editing wild Pokemon and trainers is straightforward. Just need tools like a-map 1.92 and a-trainer/Unnamed Trainer Editor.

Quote:
Furthermore... how does that even make sense, in terms of the lore? What is she, a HitmonChansey? How's she going to punch with those stubby hands?
Actually in later games, it is able to learn it.

Quote originally posted by MacNCheeze210:
Hello! i cannot seem to find dusclops anywhere on mt. pyre, any suggestions?
Probably another bug. Just evolve a Duskull.
Old July 12th, 2014 (01:40 AM).

Quote originally posted by Aruaruu:
@OminousFlare

Chill. If these things are truly bugging you, there is always the option of using editors like YAPE and G3HS to change Pokemon Base Stats, Types and all that other stuff to your liking.
You can't change the ability, however. In Pokemon Encyclopedia, even though it states in the editor that Gardevoir's ability is clearly "Trace," it's "Insomnia" in the actual game. A hacked ability is a hacked ability; no editors could change that.
Old July 12th, 2014 (02:07 AM).

Quote originally posted by OminousFlare:
You can't change the ability, however. In Pokemon Encyclopedia, even though it states in the editor that Gardevoir's ability is clearly "Trace," it's "Insomnia" in the actual game. A hacked ability is a hacked ability; no editors could change that.
Well since Enciclopedia Pokemon is a Save Editor (assuming this is what you meant) it will show the ability that Gardevoir has normally since it doesn't work off the actual ROM.
As I said before, you need to use YAPE or G3HS to change it to Trace.
Old July 13th, 2014 (09:54 AM).

Can someone give me a download link to both the game and the documents?
Old July 13th, 2014 (02:31 PM).
Great Pokémon Reject

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by lavarider12:
Can someone give me a download link to both the game and the documents?
Zip file, first post. It should be at the bottom.

DFTBA DFTBA DFTBA. (more banners soon to come... maybe) (hoping that Lilac comes back) DFTBA DFTBA DFTBA.
You joined for ROM Hacking, didn't you, PokeReject?
Pokemon is life. Life is Pokemon. Why yes, yes I did. Pokemon is life. Life is Pokemon.

Old July 16th, 2014 (02:55 PM).

@OminousFlare: I agree with most of your opinion, but not to one thing. Best Blissey's nature is Natural Cure, not Serene Grace. Ok, maybe Serene Grace lets you get a 20% chance instead of 10% to Burn, Paralyze, Freeze etc. your opponent with your attacks, get a boost each time with Charge Beam or stuff like that, but Natural Cure shrugs off Toxic, Twave, Spore for your team acting as a Status Absorber and also makes it better for stalling purposes as it doesn't get affected by Status, simply getting rid of it switching (maybe to a physical wall in case you need to, like Skarmory) and not having to use Aromatherapy/Heal Bell. That's just my opinion, of course, based on my competitive battling experiences. But if we are gonna talk about that, after Gen V Blissey is just useless, Eviolite Chansey is just so much better as long as you don't stay in random Knock Offs.

@lavarider12: There's the attachment in the first post, at the end of it. Just click on it and the download will start. In case you mean the GBA file by "game", we can't do that. Read the rules.

BTW, yeah. This hack ROM is pretty good I think, even though there are some things that take out from it's overall value. I didn't really mind the fact that the graphics it's completely the same as normal Emerald, but I liked the fact that you were original with some things but still tried to keep a flavor-wise sensation to the ROM, like Charizard being Fire/Dragon or Kabutops Water/Steel, even though that's not really as correct as it should be. Another thing I didn't like was the fact that there was no Physical/Special/Status Split (I think so, there's no mention of it in the OP) so, before starting the game, I made a copy of it with the PSS patch in. Unfortunately, it has no Icons like Tlachtli's. (Did I write that correctly?) Anyways, here it is for who can't play without the Split like me:

Doomilicious
Old July 19th, 2014 (01:38 PM).

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Doomilicious:
@OminousFlare: I agree with most of your opinion, but not to one thing. Best Blissey's nature is Natural Cure, not Serene Grace. Ok, maybe Serene Grace lets you get a 20% chance instead of 10% to Burn, Paralyze, Freeze etc. your opponent with your attacks, get a boost each time with Charge Beam or stuff like that, but Natural Cure shrugs off Toxic, Twave, Spore for your team acting as a Status Absorber and also makes it better for stalling purposes as it doesn't get affected by Status, simply getting rid of it switching (maybe to a physical wall in case you need to, like Skarmory) and not having to use Aromatherapy/Heal Bell. That's just my opinion, of course, based on my competitive battling experiences. But if we are gonna talk about that, after Gen V Blissey is just useless, Eviolite Chansey is just so much better as long as you don't stay in random Knock Offs.

@lavarider12: There's the attachment in the first post, at the end of it. Just click on it and the download will start. In case you mean the GBA file by "game", we can't do that. Read the rules.

BTW, yeah. This hack ROM is pretty good I think, even though there are some things that take out from it's overall value. I didn't really mind the fact that the graphics it's completely the same as normal Emerald, but I liked the fact that you were original with some things but still tried to keep a flavor-wise sensation to the ROM, like Charizard being Fire/Dragon or Kabutops Water/Steel, even though that's not really as correct as it should be. Another thing I didn't like was the fact that there was no Physical/Special/Status Split (I think so, there's no mention of it in the OP) so, before starting the game, I made a copy of it with the PSS patch in. Unfortunately, it has no Icons like Tlachtli's. (Did I write that correctly?) Anyways, here it is for who can't play without the Split like me:

Doomilicious
I used the patch after I started playing the hack, I'm around Dewford City right now. Does it work like that?

Also, can I use that to patch the original un-hacked game?
Old July 20th, 2014 (02:07 PM).

Quote originally posted by Fid:
I used the patch after I started playing the hack, I'm around Dewford City right now. Does it work like that?

The .ips I posted was to patch the original un-hacked game actually, but you can also patch the Expert Emerald ROM with it, since it doesn't modify anything of Expert Emerald but instead adds the PSS split. Since you didn't report any bugs, I think so at least.

BTW yes, it should work - you can try it by getting like I don't know, a Gyarados, teach it Surf and Waterfall, and test both moves against a Pokémon that has kinda equal defensive stats (like 70/70). A high level Linoone would be perfect, since it has 61/61. But again, I'm sure it works, since I've been playing with it.

Doomilicious

"Who am I? Why am I here? A king with no name. A borrowed castle. My subjects are mindless drones. If this is the mandate of Heaven I have been given...I fear...I fear nothing...except the tedium that it will bring!!!"

Old July 20th, 2014 (02:36 PM).

I can't find a Feebas in any of the routes the pokedex said. Help?
Old July 20th, 2014 (02:46 PM).

Quote originally posted by Fid:

The .ips I posted was to patch the original un-hacked game actually, but you can also patch the Expert Emerald ROM with it, since it doesn't modify anything of Expert Emerald but instead adds the PSS split. Since you didn't report any bugs, I think so at least.

BTW yes, it should work - you can try it by getting like I don't know, a Gyarados, teach it Surf and Waterfall, and test both moves against a Pokémon that has kinda equal defensive stats (like 70/70). A high level Linoone would be perfect, since it has 61/61. But again, I'm sure it works, since I've been playing with it.

Doomilicious

"Who am I? Why am I here? A king with no name. A borrowed castle. My subjects are mindless drones. If this is the mandate of Heaven I have been given...I fear...I fear nothing...except the tedium that it will bring!!!"

Old July 21st, 2014 (08:30 AM).

Doomilicious
I'll try it later in the original ROM since it doesn't seem to work.

Croconaw with 58 Attack, 36 Sp.Attack, Bite and Water Gun.

Water Gun deals far more damage than Bite on opponents with big Sp. Def, like Plusle or Minun.

Quote originally posted by marcosmcdougall:
I can't find a Feebas in any of the routes the pokedex said. Help?
Use Old Rod on Route 107. East coast of Dewford Town.
Old July 22nd, 2014 (03:14 AM).

What is the criteria to get a Huntail? I thought it'd be sp def>sp att but when I trained my Clamperl up for that, it still evolved into Gorebyss.
Old July 22nd, 2014 (05:57 AM).

What is the criteria to get a Huntail? I thought it'd be sp def>sp att but when I trained my Clamperl up for that, it still evolved into Gorebyss.
Changes doc says Water Stone for Gorebyss and Moon Stone for Huntail.
Old July 22nd, 2014 (06:32 AM).

Quote originally posted by Aruaruu:
Changes doc says Water Stone for Gorebyss and Moon Stone for Huntail.
Thank you so much. Could you tell me where the changes Doc is?
Old July 22nd, 2014 (08:08 AM).

Thank you so much. Could you tell me where the changes Doc is?
It should be in the file you downloaded.
Old July 27th, 2014 (05:01 AM).
Training Mastermind

Nature: Lax
I am sorry Azure, I played your game till beating Max (with bellosom ? really);
I had a team of Combusken(41), Magnium(40+), Eevee(37), Pikachu(32)and Aerodactyl(35).
There are few bugs, that caused me to delete my game and save file:-
1. Events Error (Like I caught Aerodactyle, went PC to store it, came back and poof - another amber for me; i have 2 Airodactyles now(extinct though)).
2. Trainers like Wally saying they are working hard with Ralts, however in battle they use Kirlia (not a bug, i guess but still).
3. I really don't like the concept of 386 pokemons, One can form a more strategical team perhaps but its not cool to keep cyndaquil in PC STORAGE BOX 1 when you have such a strong team.
4. Trading Bugs.
5. With Ditto my eevee gave 3 eggs within 15 minutes (a major bug).
6. No Shiny Pokemons. (they are cute )
Good Points :
1. I loved the way you gave documentation, hard work bro (y).
2. I loved the concept of harder game, Roxanne beat me 3 times, Ho-oH lol
3. May is looking cuter than ever, lol
4. Now one can form a dream team.

Please keep working on hack, I am cheering YOU !!!
Old July 27th, 2014 (05:06 PM).

Doomilicious
This did not work for me at all. When I patched this over it was just the regular emerald game.
Old July 30th, 2014 (03:08 PM).

the game crashes everytime a trainer sends in their fearow
Old July 30th, 2014 (08:53 PM).

Nature: Quiet
I found a problem with the documentation. It states that in the first battle against Wally, he uses the team of Exeggcute, Porygon, and Kirlia. I was just attempting to record the next episode of my Let's Play, and he sent out a Parasect.

Currently breeding: Custom starters (PM me if interested).
Old July 30th, 2014 (09:35 PM).
Crit happens.

I'm a little torn on this hack. I like the idea of a difficulty change and new trainer teams, but I've always been a poke-purist when it comes to hacks and tend not to like base stat changes (no matter how tempting it is to try to make Shedinja viable, curse that loveable ghostbug).

The ability to individually rematch E4 members without running the whole gauntlet does sound like a great idea. Sad I didn't think of it

Quote originally posted by nemesish:
A little question:
Since this hack doesn't have the Physical/Special split, I've been wanting to apply the patch myself for personal use.
The thing is, will the game be affected someway if I do that?
The PSS patch should be compatible with any Emerald rom, hacked or no. The problem is that by default, the patch will treat every move as physical (because of the way it's written) after it's been applied. You'd need to go through and manually designate Physical or Special for all the moves with a tool like PGE after applying it.

I'd check the thread on it in the RnD section, someone may have an ips with those move changes already made. If there is one it should be safe to use, but I make no promises.

Unfortunately, it has no Icons like Tlachtli's. (Did I write that correctly?)
Sadly I can't make a hack-compatible ips for the icons, because it requires inserting images and ASM into free space (and there's no way to know if the creator would have used said space or not). However if you want to add them in manually, RaileysXerilyasRX wrote a pretty good mini-guide on it that should only take a few minutes to do. The process is just to insert an image, insert the provided ASM (or follow the alternate, hex-only instructions), and make a handful of hex edits.

(And you did get my name right )

A Gen 3 remake de-make, (soon to be) featuring many Gen VI mechanics
Old August 2nd, 2014 (07:41 AM).

Nature: Bold
Nice hack, like Scott said to the protagonist in the original games:"I'll be rootin' for ya'"
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links