The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Saryka
Donator Tier 3

I've actually never played any of the spin-off games like Ranger or Mystery Dungeon before. Are they any good? I've always been just about the main games but I'm curious.
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Toujours
Howling Poros

Nature: Sassy
I'm only a little bit into Mystery Dungeon but I really like Ranger! Plot's a little cheesy but I enjoy the "battling" system. :3 Have you never even played Pokemon Snap though?!
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:20 AM
mysticflower
Parasol Lady Madeleine

Nature: Timid
I like the ranger series, and mystery dungeon. The main games are the best for me though, the others I just play when I'm bored of levelling or something. The plots in pokemon are always... questionable... and the dialog stinks, but its a game, not a movie or a book, so I don't mind.
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Saryka
Donator Tier 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I'm only a little bit into Mystery Dungeon but I really like Ranger! Plot's a little cheesy but I enjoy the "battling" system. :3 Have you never even played Pokemon Snap though?!
Nooooo. ;____; I wasn't allowed to own an N64 as a kid so I missed out! I think it's on the Wii VC though and I hear that it's really good so I might try it out.
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Toujours
Howling Poros

Yeah it's on the virtual console for 10 bucks! I had it as a kid and then re-bought it when I got my Wii, lol. Beat in a day but soooo worth it.
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Welcome to York County, SC!

Nature: Quirky
My brother played Snap way back in the day... wasn't really my thing.

Neither are most of the other spinoffs... I always thought the concept for Mystery Dungeon was actually pretty stupid *please don't shoot me, lol*. I'm not a fan of "Pokemon without trainers" so the only spinoffs I liked were Colosseum and XD.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:07 AM
PelipperMail
Booted out - don't be like me!

Quote:
Have you never even played Pokemon Snap though?!
I have, but I can never get myself to forget the very-creepy story that I read about somebody else's cartridge. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check the spoiler, it's quite lengthy but worth reading, IMO.

Spoiler:
We are all familiar with the game Pokemon Snap.

It was a family fun game for the Good 'ol Nintendo 64. You played the role of a young man who went around taking pictures of pokemon. I loved this game, and it just so happens that it was on the the first games I bought for my nintendo 64. But something happened that will keep me from ever touching that System again.

A few days ago I bought a Nintendo 64 from my friend. It came with 6 games. Mario Kart 64, Pokemon Stadium, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time, Legend of Zelda Majoras mask, Smash Brothers, and Pokemon snap. He sold them to me telling me, that he just did not want to look at these games anymore. I thought nothing of it, and just marked it off in my mind, as he was just getting sick of the system taking up room on his Dresser.

I started playing Pokemon snap first, When that familiar N64 logo came up, I about creamed myself in pure Nostalgic bliss. Then the start up screen came on. I noticed that the last save was made only about a week ago. I figured my friend wanted to play one last round to say goodbye to the system. I opened the file to see how far he had gotten when I notcied some strange things about the game.

Prof. Oak was not standing in his normal lab I remember, the background was lined with blackened marks, and the windows were broken in. The outside was a dismal gray, looking almost overcast. His dialogue did not match the cheery attitude I remember.

"Good day to you young one, are you ready for your most important shoot?" His face contorted to a cruel looking smile.

I wanted to know what came next, so I pressed Go....God I wish I would have just turned the system off.

The overworld map looked wrong. The landscape was not a lush green and brown, but a muddy brown and red, almost like fire. My friend had beaten all of the tracks. So I could select any of them. I picked Beach. If only I would have just turned off the system.

The start up was the same animation. My character reading his camera and switching to first person view. The whole track was dark, and it seemed to be almost completley abandoned. The cheery music did not play. The only sound was that of my vehicle going down the track, and the wind blowing. I turned the first corner and what I saw is still fresh in my mind.

Bodies were strewn all across the screen. The Meowth that comes running from the grass was on the tracks. I figured the Cart would just stop like it normally does when something obstructs the path, but it just ran over him. The worst part was the sound. That squish of meat, the crack of his bones...the sound was not the crappy quality that I was used to either. This sounded real, like it had been recorded and broadcasted into my game. I looked back to see if the meowth was still there, Pidgeys where eating him!! They pecked out his eyes, and continued to devour his body. I don't know what drove me to take the picture but I did.

I wanted to just reach out and flick the power switch, but something compelled me to continue the game. I came to the part where the snorlax normally was, but insead of a comedic sleeping giant I found him mourning over a dead Pikachu in his arms. Once again some sick notion inside me forced me to take this picture.

I came to the part where normally a Meowth would be gusted by a pidgey, but the only thing I saw was two dead pidgeys. A meowth came out from the grass and began to feast on their remains. I found myself taking pictures of almost everything I saw by this point so I snapped the picture.

As I neared the end, I came to the bridge that crosses over the small river. Bodies floated down the river, some looking like they had been torn apart, some looking like they just died for no reason, no cuts, bruises, or anything wrong with them. I snapped a picture of this as well. I came to the warp gate that takes you back to Prof. Oak's lab, I skipped doing Oak's pick because I just could not bear to see the images I had captured, but when the game cut to oak saying

"Welcome back" he opened my entire library of photos and began to comment on a few. The one of the dead meowth being eaten made him smile a sick sadistic smile. "Nature taking it's course. Lets check the size...260 - It's so-so. Technique...Great you realy captured the beauty of it's demise." He brought up the one of the Snorlax.

"Great! you have done well capturing his pain and suffering. True work of art. Lets check the size...."

After him commenting on all of my photos his face turned to his -now sick looking- smile.

"Ever since mew became angry the world is just full of beauty don't you agree?"

I was given the option of Yes or no, but when I clicked no he would just say "Are you sure?"

After I finnaly said yes, he told me I had one last thing to do. He said I must capture an image of Mew in all his glory.

I went to the start screen and picked Rainbow cloud. When the start up screen started I was greeted with the loving, friendly clouds I had prayed I would see, but the only problem was the contilations were not their normal pokemon forms. They resembled Lightning bolts, Tidal waves, falling meteors, and forest fires. After about 10 minutes of just moving through the map I finnally encountered Mew...Or atleast what I can only assume was once Mew

The creature was much larger than the cute, cuddly Mew, I had seen before. This thing was huge, with sharp teeth, and horrible looking eyes. Eyes that seemed to suck the joy out anything they cast their gaze upon. I brought up my camera to Snap the creature when my game started Glitching out. Text kept appearing over the screen, while the creature seemed to warp around the screen.

"You have seen what true beauty is, now you must become part of the beauty. Become part of the beauty, become part of the beauty, become part of the beauty..." It repeated this for about 2 minutes until the creature stopped warping, and flew towards the screen. He pointed at me and mouthed the word "Beauty" and my game crashed.

I threw the cartridge out, and have not since touched the N64...I can only wonder what the other games may hold...
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Toujours
Howling Poros

Is it bad that I was bothered because I know the Meowth getting gusted by the Pidgey comes after the small bridge so I'm like "oh that's so unrealistic"? xDDD;

Sabre you seem to like, like...Leaf and hate everything else about Pokemon. D;
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Quote:
Hahaha I second that. Old ladies...

lol did that happen for Halloween, Pelipper Mail? I've played Snap and I can't even imagine myself imagining what you wrote up there.
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Diamond1304
Gym Leader

Nature: Adamant
I actually like the Ranger series very much! Especially the latest one, Guardian Signs~ I've never tried Colosseum and XD as I don't have and wish to buy a GameCube just for those 2 games. Though from watching videos, I found the storyline quite interesting. I have always been a big big fan of PMD. I'm still waiting for the next PMD with BW pokemon. X3

@PelipperMail: OMG that's one MAJOR creepy story. Is it a creepypasta? T~T

Old October 20th, 2011, 12:26 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I enjoyed the Pokemon Ranger series a lot as well. The major problem with them is that they can ruin your DS's screen if you're not careful. The thing that annoyed me with Guardian Signs was that for part of the game, multiplayer was almost totally required, seeing as know one I know has it.
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond1304 View Post
I have always been a big big fan of PMD. I'm still waiting for the next PMD with BW pokemon. X3
I'm a big fan of the PMD series as well, and I love the storyline for both games. I'm hoping too that another spin-off will be made following the PMD series and it includes the B/W Pokémon.

I've played the first Ranger game, but like vaporeon said, it can ruin your touch screen and that's one of the reasons why I stopped playing them after seeing some changes to my screen. >:
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:28 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Pokemon Dash ruined my first DS's touch screen, too bad you could only play as Pikachu.
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
I loved the first two Ranger games, I managed to put quite a lot of time into both games, I was quite careful with them though - they/I never did anything to my DS's screen. I never got onto playing the third game though. I'm a busy boy.

Old October 20th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™

Quote:
Hey, now, I like Giovanni, Miror B., and Cipher Admin Ein, too...

Wait, it's probably a bad thing that everyone I just named above is a bad guy, lol

Eh, I've always found the trainers more interesting than the Pokemon themselves... which is why it frustrates me when the human characters in these games get little to no development.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
Old October 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Moltres Rider
Banned

Nature: Modest
does anybody else agree that Delcatty's cry almost resembles an actual cat meow?
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinrpg View Post
does anybody else agree that Delcatty's cry almost resembles an actual cat meow?
To me it seems like some baby-ish voice that is crying out for help lol

But no, not a cat's. Anyway pokemon cries don't resemble their animal counterparts imo, in general.
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:32 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™

Delcatty's cry sounds just a bit more higher pitched than a cat, IMO. I've heard some cats with very low pitched meows, actually.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
Old October 21st, 2011, 07:56 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Actually, I thought that Skitty's cry was more like a kitten/small cat's cry~

And Purugly might resemble a low cat's cry~!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old October 22nd, 2011, 04:45 AM
Zeffy
mischief managed

I didn't bother to check which sounds more like a kitty or a dog. As long as they meow, its a cat sound! xD
Old October 22nd, 2011, 05:43 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™

Meowth really doesn't sound like a cat, though... IIRC it makes the same squeaky cry as Horsea does.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
Old October 22nd, 2011, 05:56 AM
Zeffy
mischief managed

Wow, I can't even remember half the Pokemon cries. I tend to remember them at the time when I hear the sound itself. xD

Speaking of cries, I really do wonder how Pokemon can understand other Pokemon through their...name speaking. Cofa cofa co co cofa cofa COFAGRIGUS! xD
Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:37 AM
Diamond1304
Gym Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeffy View Post
Wow, I can't even remember half the Pokemon cries. I tend to remember them at the time when I hear the sound itself. xD

Speaking of cries, I really do wonder how Pokemon can understand other Pokemon through their...name speaking. Cofa cofa co co cofa cofa COFAGRIGUS! xD
Vani vani van-vani luxe VANILLUXE! I think it's a tad like morse code. Like one short syllable of its name is like a dot/dash and they just linked and mash all these thingamadoodles into phrases and sentences until Arceus knows what they're babbling. xD

Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:21 AM
Zeffy
mischief managed

Well, I suppose. I'd go Zeffy zee zeff zeeffy? zeff zeff ZEFF ZEFFU!! if I would to ever talk like that. I guess Speech isn't much of a subject for Pokemon...
Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
mysticflower
Parasol Lady Madeleine

Nature: Timid
I think a lot of it is in the body language and tone of voice, so you get more of a gist of what they are saying rather than individual words (in the anime anyway)

Sponsored Links