Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Reload this Page DCC Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Closed Thread

Old January 28th, 2014 (12:38 AM).

Nature: Modest
My interest in pokemon is greater than ever, I think it's because of the whole new 3D aspect of X and Y
Old January 28th, 2014 (05:05 AM).
nine lives one love
ModeratorCS

Nature: Naive
Quote:
I still use Pokemon as a creative outlet.
This, definitely. Mainly, actually. RPing :3

Idk, I think I'd enjoy a new, well made hack based on Gen II just as much as the new 3D games. Graphics were never a problem for me in games. Story, characters and complexity is what matters.

mod of Roleplay Theatre and Pokémon General
paired with seeker, creator of Phoenix Rising
Old January 29th, 2014 (05:07 PM).
A Scene In Between
ModeratorBSCS

It's been an extremely long time since I last played a gen-two hack. If I remember correctly, I think the hack was called Pokémon Prism. I did enjoy it, but would've enjoyed it even more if its graphics quality were higher. Story does play important role in games, but in my opinion, so do graphics. xD"
Old January 29th, 2014 (10:43 PM).
ffet

Nature: Relaxed
I'm surprised at how many of you said that you're not as interested. I can understand the correlation between Pokémon and age but the franchise continuously improves every generation imo (of course many people would disagree). If it wasn't for PC though I would most like have lost interest as well. Everybody has interesting things to say :3
Old January 30th, 2014 (04:37 AM).
Mission Complete✔

Nature: Lax
You know what's really hard? Training a Zubat.

Old January 30th, 2014 (05:03 AM).
nine lives one love
ModeratorCS

Ooooh Pokémon Prism! I enjoyed that greatly but I think it was really difficult O.o Maybe I happened to travel through the towns in wrong order or something because some gym kept whiting me out.

Training a Zubat was hard in Gen I and II. From Gen III and onwards it became feasible :B

Old January 30th, 2014 (07:09 AM).
I'm the fury in your head
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers:
Training a Zubat was hard in Gen I and II. From Gen III and onwards it became feasible :B
Ah yes I imagine how hard raising some Pokemon at low levels can be, especially if it has a really high level to evolve at. Thankfully Gen 5 and 6 made Zubat easier to train thanks to the fact you get it at a decently good not-too-low-level meaning no having to rely on Leech Life for so long.

However, I always find raising happiness a pain. It always bites me when I catch a Budew to try to evolve into Roselia only to find out I missed on important moves it would have learned had it evolved earlier.

tumblr | twitter | lovely pairs | ask me
adoption center mentor | fairy club | water club

Old January 31st, 2014 (06:39 AM).
nine lives one love
ModeratorCS

Quote originally posted by Hikamaru:
Ah yes I imagine how hard raising some Pokemon at low levels can be, especially if it has a really high level to evolve at. Thankfully Gen 5 and 6 made Zubat easier to train thanks to the fact you get it at a decently good not-too-low-level meaning no having to rely on Leech Life for so long.

However, I always find raising happiness a pain. It always bites me when I catch a Budew to try to evolve into Roselia only to find out I missed on important moves it would have learned had it evolved earlier.
Mostly I think it helped with Bite becoming more useful in later generations. And Wing Attack or some other attack it also learned I think?

Ah, yeah happiness. With pokémon I need to evolve with happiness but don't want to miss moves on, I try to just keep it with me but not battle with it too much. And then I sometimes let it gain a level, but not too often, to see if it was enough. So far it's worked :3

Old January 31st, 2014 (03:47 PM).
The last Saskatchewan pirate.
ModeratorCS

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Osiris
Or you can go overboard on the whole happiness thing by keeping your Pokemon out of battle too much, and end up with a level 12 Togetic like I did in FireRed :x
Old January 31st, 2014 (03:57 PM).
nine lives one love
ModeratorCS

Yeah :p Luckily you can stop evolution if you feel like you want them to grow more before they evolve, so.

Old January 31st, 2014 (04:23 PM).
A Scene In Between
ModeratorBSCS

I've never tried evolving Zubat in generations one and two. In gen three, though, I did, and it was pretty hard for me. When it comes to evolving Pokémon with happiness, I always have a tough time. d:
Old January 31st, 2014 (10:33 PM).
*insert fancy usertitle here*

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Hikamaru:
I understand exactly your pain. My Budew missed out on Mega Drain iirc when it evolved to Roselia.

In Gold, it was very hard to get my Togepi evolved. And Metronome wasn't a reliable move for training either. >:
Old February 1st, 2014 (01:26 AM).
ffet

This reminds me of a time when I trained a Zubat during a FireRed playthrough a couple years ago. I caught it early in Mt. Moon expecting to get a Crobat later on. Once I reached Celadon City and it went to evolve from Golbat into Crobat, it automatically cancelled because I didn't have the National Dex (which I completely forgot about) -_- "I trained this Zubat for nothing!"

What does everyone think about the National Dex limitations from FireRed and LeafGreen? Or the lack of limitations from HeartGold and SoulSilver?

Even though it made FRLG more relative to their predecessors, I really disliked the evolution cancel. Fortunately only a small amount of Pokémon were affected by it but they were some of my favorite Pokémon (Politoed, Scizor, Steelix, Crobat, Kingdra, Slowking) ;_;
Old February 1st, 2014 (02:10 AM).
nine lives one love
ModeratorCS

You mean that in FR/LG you couldn't evolve Kanto pokémon into Johto evolutions? Hm. I don't think I ever ran into that since I didn't try to use those particular pokémon. But if that's what you mean, I don't like that they did that :/ I get that they wanted to make FR/LG an "exact" copy of the first games where there only was 151 pokémon, but they could have made it more modern. If a species exists, it exists, would make the game more enjoyable with more of them.

They changed canon some in HG/SS. Instead of replaying the exact story from G/S, they changed the egg thing in the beginning and the day care thingy and such. Pretending that everyone already knew that pokémon laid eggs, as opposed to the original games. Idk if I liked that or not.

Old February 1st, 2014 (03:04 AM).
ffet

Quote originally posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers:
You mean that in FR/LG you couldn't evolve Kanto pokémon into Johto evolutions? Hm. I don't think I ever ran into that since I didn't try to use those particular pokémon. But if that's what you mean, I don't like that they did that :/ I get that they wanted to make FR/LG an "exact" copy of the first games where there only was 151 pokémon, but they could have made it more modern. If a species exists, it exists, would make the game more enjoyable with more of them.
Yup, it would take you to the "What? ___ is evolving!" screen, and right before it finishes evolving it would cancel and say "...?". such a tease. It's like if they were willing to add the Sevii Isles into the games, would it have killed them to add in the Johto evolutions? It's weird when a Pokémon stops evolving for no reason whatsoever. Perhaps if Oak or someone explained why they couldn't evolve, it wouldn't have been as weird.

Quote:
They changed canon some in HG/SS. Instead of replaying the exact story from G/S, they changed the egg thing in the beginning and the day care thingy and such. Pretending that everyone already knew that pokémon laid eggs, as opposed to the original games. Idk if I liked that or not.
The games are remakes but a little variation here and there is refreshing. For the most part, though, the games are pretty similar to their predecessors. I'm glad that the Rocket Executives were given actual names.
Old February 1st, 2014 (01:31 PM).
The last Saskatchewan pirate.
ModeratorCS

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Osiris
What does everyone think about the National Dex limitations from FireRed and LeafGreen? Or the lack of limitations from HeartGold and SoulSilver?

I'd never used a Crobat in G/S/C, so I made it my mission to use one in FireRed. Don't much care for either Zubat or Golbat, but I powered through only to be trolled by the game and not allowing my Golbat to evolve. I basically gave up on it right then and there, and didn't bother training one again until I played HeartGold.

I would've been much happier if the game flat-out didn't acknowledge the evolution until after you get the National Dex, rather than teasing us like that. Or even just not have it appear in the Pokedex, much like what happens if you get a post-National Dex Pokemon through a trade in current games before finishing the main story.
Old February 1st, 2014 (10:40 PM).
ffet

Quote originally posted by Jamais:
I would've been much happier if the game flat-out didn't acknowledge the evolution until after you get the National Dex, rather than teasing us like that. Or even just not have it appear in the Pokedex, much like what happens if you get a post-National Dex Pokemon through a trade in current games before finishing the main story.
What's worse is that it took like three evolution cancels until I realized what was going on. But if none of the evolution process didn't happen at all, I would have probably trained my Golbat to the 90s and still anticipated a Crobat :\ Not having the Pokédex acknowledge the Pokémon is the best way to go imo. I'm really glad that it was implemented into the later games. But what's the purpose of a National Dex if you can still catch 'em all without it? Maybe you wouldn't be able to access their Pokédex text, footprint, and cry waveform?
Old February 1st, 2014 (11:02 PM).
Always a team

Nature: Sassy
I never bothered with the national dex or anything. I tried really hard to complete it in SS, but then kinda lost interest and played around with the pokewalker
Pair & Credit
Old February 2nd, 2014 (06:05 PM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super Moderator

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
One of the most annoying things ever about FRLG. Hey, we made the Zubat line near useless to bother with during gameplay until you beat the league! =D Uhhhh... That and it didn't make any sense, both within the game and from the view of the game makers. I don't understand why you'd restrict people to the same Pokémon in the original games - for those that don't want Crobat, they'll be able to just cancel the evolution themselves.

So glad that HGSS went the other way and let you evolve and trade whatever from almost the very beginning.
Old February 3rd, 2014 (11:11 AM).
nine lives one love
ModeratorCS

Speaking of FR/LG, did you guys feel like the Sevii islands added a lot to the game? Overall, in terms of how much you enjoyed the game.

Old February 3rd, 2014 (11:25 AM).
ffet

They were a really good addition IMO. They added post game content and also made a few Johto Pokémon available. The Sevii Isles theme (the remix of Route 42's theme) is one of my favorite tracks from FRLG. They didn't add a whole lot of extra content because you could zip through all of the islands within a couple hours. However there are a lot of things to do that aren't necessary but add a lot of extra playing time like exploring the Tanoby Ruins, talking to all the NPCs, and catching all the available Johto Pokémon. I consider them the Orange Islands' counterpart.
Old February 3rd, 2014 (11:27 AM).
nine lives one love
ModeratorCS

Yeah, I think they should make some kind of spinoff based off the Orange Islands :3 Maybe something similar to Colosseum or Rangers... Only with trainers.

Old February 3rd, 2014 (04:55 PM).
A Scene In Between
ModeratorBSCS

I loved Sevii Isles. Back when I still had FireRed, I used to spend hours there roaming around, trying to find out if there are some hidden secrets or something. xD Love it if they'd made a return in some future Pokémon game... perhaps they could make a spin-off based off them?
Old February 4th, 2014 (12:18 AM).
ffet

Quote originally posted by Nymphadora:
I loved Sevii Isles. Back when I still had FireRed, I used to spend hours there roaming around, trying to find out if there are some hidden secrets or something. xD Love it if they'd made a return in some future Pokémon game... perhaps they could make a spin-off based off them?
Speaking of hidden secrets:

Quote originally posted by Bulbapedia:
it is possible for the Altering Cave's wild Pokémon to be altered by using Mystery Gift at a Wonder Spot hosted by Nintendo. Despite this, no country has ever held an event to make use of this hidden feature.
Apparently Nintendo didn't even know about Altering Cave's secret -_-

Not sure how a spin-off would work. I could see a main game based in the Sevii Isles because they already appeared in a main game but Gamefreak isn't about that spin-off life. Orange Islands are anime exclusive so I don't think we'll see them in a game :\
Old February 4th, 2014 (12:40 AM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super Moderator

Nature: Jolly
Nah, Orange Islands will never appear in a game, it's doomed to being a location used for filler between two early anime seasons.
Quote:
Apparently Nintendo didn't even know about Altering Cave's secret
I think it could have been changed by the e-reader, a product that only came out in Japan? Anyways, I think it's more likely that it was known but nothing ever came of it, is all. Take the Azure Flute for instance, an item programmed into DPPt to let you catch Arceus. Never was released though - we just got Arceus as an event.

Bucking the trend and saying I didn't really like Sevii islands much. Sure, it was nice to explore more places, but they weren't very fulfilling nor was there much to do after the sidequests there. The tower there was kinda boring too and not much of a reward for beating it.

But at least there was the Chansey dance?

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)