Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 23rd, 2011 (02:35 AM).
Trainer Galza

Nature: Relaxed
In game guys, I don't really care too much about.. if I was raising a speific team, then I would go with a nature/ability that would make their role a bit easier for them to handle.

A pretty good example though, I've been trying to find a Golett that doesn't suck in my game.. but the ones I always catch have Klutz, an ability that doesn't boost attack at all (or lowers it) .. I'd be happy with the Punching ability, because thats what he does.. and a nice attack stat would be nice too.. but not in the case where I can't get either.. wasting good pokeballs on crap just annoys the hell out of me.
Old November 23rd, 2011 (02:37 AM).
Xebelleon
Fox Fox Moose

Nature: Quirky
Abilities yes. Natures no.

Neutral natures are my favorite as they are easy to know right off the hop what goes up, what goes down.

Only with Ditto do I care for natures.
Old November 23rd, 2011 (04:00 AM). Edited November 23rd, 2011 by Hikamaru.
Hikamaru
this is all yours
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Trainer Galza:
In game guys, I don't really care too much about.. if I was raising a speific team, then I would go with a nature/ability that would make their role a bit easier for them to handle.

A pretty good example though, I've been trying to find a Golett that doesn't suck in my game.. but the ones I always catch have Klutz, an ability that doesn't boost attack at all (or lowers it) .. I'd be happy with the Punching ability, because thats what he does.. and a nice attack stat would be nice too.. but not in the case where I can't get either.. wasting good pokeballs on crap just annoys the hell out of me.
Ah yes, I experience that dreaded curse as well. I check its ability by using my Audino's Entrainment.

Quote originally posted by Hikari10:
And my worst-case scenario - I caught a Golett only to discover it was Klutz, I went back to Dragonspiral Tower, caught another one, this time with Iron Fist but wait for it, I got the worst possible nature and that nature is...
Spoiler:
MODEST!
And I just caught my third Golett, Impish nature with Iron Fist. Not exactly the nature I was looking for, but Impish comes close enough.
Old November 23rd, 2011 (04:53 AM).
Daydream
Spider-Man
Community Supporter

I'll only really try to find a pokemon with a different ability if it's completely unhelpful. Otherwise I don't mind too much. And I'm not actually even aware of which natures lower or raise which stat, I just look at them for imagining my pokemon's personality. In a roleplay-ish kind of way.
Old November 23rd, 2011 (05:07 AM). Edited November 23rd, 2011 by Hikamaru.
Hikamaru
this is all yours
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Daydream:
I'll only really try to find a pokemon with a different ability if it's completely unhelpful. Otherwise I don't mind too much. And I'm not actually even aware of which natures lower or raise which stat, I just look at them for imagining my pokemon's personality. In a roleplay-ish kind of way.
Natures actually play an important part if you're someone like Marriland. He is always fussy about his Pokemon's natures.

There is a chart with what each nature does so you can see if that Pokemon receives any differences stat-wise.
Old November 24th, 2011 (06:28 AM).
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
I don't do competitve battling, so I could careless about the nature of Pokemon. Also I really don't care for abilities either, unless if it is for certain Pokemon such as Magcargo, mines must have flame body because I want to hatch Pokemon eggs a whole lot quicker.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old November 24th, 2011 (06:39 PM).
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
When I'm making a competitive team, I am EXTREMELY careful to get a good nature for my Pokemon. However, in-game, I don't care too much unless the nature is downright awful for the Pokemon that has it (E.G. Calm Krookodile). I usually pay attention to abilities in-game.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old November 24th, 2011 (07:36 PM).
Cresta
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
I care a lot about natures. Abilities, not so much.

Old November 24th, 2011 (07:52 PM).
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

I used to care about natures a ton, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get a good nature anymore. That competitiveness ruins so many games for me.

Abilities are a different story, if only because it affects in-game to a larger degree.
Old December 7th, 2011 (02:59 AM).
Adryel

Actually for a player like me who didn't have experience in Wifi Battle or even trade
i still care for their Abilities And Nature
Besides I love raising Psuedo Legendary Pokemon
with better Nature that fit their moveset

and Abilities that give you an advantage in some specific Battle ( like Battle Frontier )
Old December 7th, 2011 (05:02 AM).
XEL
Lorem Ipsum

Competitively, yes. OTherwise, I usually just catch wild pokemon until one with the ability I want shows up (i.e. the electric spider thing with compoundeyes).
Old December 8th, 2011 (10:40 AM).
Mentalii
Back

Nature: Gentle
Not at all. Even if I'm a little irritated when my Pokémon have nature that seems "negatives", I mean for example "Lax" or "Sassy".

Old December 9th, 2011 (07:44 PM).
Mothman
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Hasty
I don't give a rat's behind about natures and abilities. I'm confident enough to know that raising a Pokemon is what eventually makes it powerful. Bonuses are nice, but I'm somewhat old-fashioned. Just train them and win.
Old December 10th, 2011 (12:27 AM).
sherreamethyst
Dragonite's Momma

Nature: Modest
Before, I never cared about abilites or natures as I never really knew much about them, and just battled and trained with what I got. But as I got older and began to understand the 'tricks of the trade' I sorta began to care. When I start a new game however, I don't care, but once I beat it, that's when I began to hunt down Pokemon with certain abilites/natures. In my second run through of White, I didn't even try to get Pokemon with beneficial natures, just caught what showed up first, but about 4 out of 6 of my whole team ended up with beneficial natures. I was pretty happy!
Old December 11th, 2011 (06:23 AM).
Pyrax
World Class Baka

Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrax
It depends.
I generally don't mind natures, just as long as they're not neutral natures.
As for abilities, I prefer abilities which are more useful than others (Rock Head Aron over Sturdy Aron, for example).
Old December 11th, 2011 (06:31 AM).
Mchopz
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Lax
It honestly depends. If I am playing through the regular part of the game then I will go for the certain ability I want but I am less inclined to search for nature. Yet if I am preparing a team for battling I will make sure I get right nature and ability.
Old December 11th, 2011 (07:28 AM).
Sverige
#justiceforbionic 11.11.13

Not really, but if they do ever have a good one it's a bonus rather than a feature I'd search for.
Old December 11th, 2011 (09:13 AM).
Sector

Nature: Naughty
I'd give up for it. I tried to get a Timid Nature Ninetales for the longest time in SoulSilver, probably went through 100 Eggs to find the right Vulpix. I just settled for the last one that hatched after I got tired of it. Modest natured works for me now.
Old December 11th, 2011 (09:54 AM).
Sheep
sheeple sheeple

Nature: Timid
When I'm playing through the game's storyline, I don't really care... I take any nature so long as it doesn't lower the Pokemon's best stat. For example, I probably wouldn't train a Tepig with a Calm nature (as its attack is lowered).

Once I finish the storyline, yes, I do care a lot. I start breeding a brand new team to get a fitting nature and characteristic and then EV train.

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 LV
Old December 11th, 2011 (12:33 PM). Edited December 11th, 2011 by Hikamaru.
Hikamaru
this is all yours
Community Supporter

I remembered reacting to my Jellicent having an Adamant nature, which is terrible as they are mainly Special-based attackers. I went "no, I can't use it cos it has a bad nature" so I decided to go around looking for Modest Frillish and to help me, I caught lots of Elgyems and I took one with a Modest nature and Synchronize ability to help me find the perfect Frillish. I eventually caught a Modest Frillish and evolved her into Jellicent.

Yes, I caught lots and lots of Elgyems and there is a reason why I have them all. I can take the ones with Synchronize to help me find particular natures. I guess they do come in handy after all.

So, if you're playing Black or White and you're trying to find a particular nature I recommend going to Celestial Tower and catch some Elgyems and put the ones with Synchronize with the nature you're looking for (make sure it has Synchronize) at the front of the party and eventually you'll find the perfect Pokemon.

Also, if you catch lots of the same species they will always have differences in stats even if they are the same nature. So I also compare them.

Sponsored Links