Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Treehouse
Reload this Page Would your family approve

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Treehouse For the everyday ramblings of the masses.

Old July 1st, 2014 (06:46 PM).
The Rabbit Pokemon
BS
CS

Nature: Modest
of your online life?

Even if your family knows about you having a separate life online, would they approve of everything you do? Would they approve of PokeCommunity specifically?

Showdown

Old July 1st, 2014 (06:59 PM).
Tomato Soup
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
I think the only thing they disapprove of is me spending so much time online, I don't think they care about the sites I specifically spend time on. They know I play Pokemon, so I don't think they'd disapprove of PC.
Old July 1st, 2014 (07:37 PM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lax
My family doesn't care. I don't care about their online lives either.
Old July 1st, 2014 (07:44 PM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Yato
My parents recognize me as an adult and thus don't really care what I do. Only time they might is if I do something that could get them or me in trouble, but there isn't really anything I do that would put us at risk, so it's nothing to worry about.
3ds fcfriend safarispc
a man for flowers
Old July 1st, 2014 (08:02 PM).
♥ maraala ♥

Nature: Bold
Nah they don't care. Why would they? I'm still hanging out on a Pokémon forum like I've been doing for the last decade, talking to people around my age and looking at pictures. Essentially what my mother does on Facebook, but I do it with people I actually like.

I suppose a lack of disapproval isn't the same as approval, but she really is fine with it. My dad's more of the type to be tetchy about spending too much time online and not enough time in the ~real world~ rather than about specific content, but that just gets us into the whole discussion about how communication and experiences shared over digital mediums shouldn't be discredited as illegitimate to a person's life experience as a whole. He doesn't mind me doing whatever I do anymore though; he's more concerned about my stepbrothers now. One of which is terrifyingly close to falling into the "nice guy" culture. As long as they keep him off reddit it should be fine. They don't mind if he comes here, I know that much.
Dwebble - #184
pairs - ama - gravity falls fc - minecraft
Old July 1st, 2014 (08:03 PM).
yas
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Pepperton
My family could care less - they do their own thing, I do mine. My dad is the only one I constantly socialize with, because we're both really into tennis, and I watch Parks and Rec with my mom, but other than that, my family doesn't interfere with one another's personal activities. Fine by me, honestly d:
Old July 1st, 2014 (08:10 PM).

I think my parents just care about how much time i spend online but i dont think they would disapprove of PC since they know that i love pokemon.
Old July 1st, 2014 (08:18 PM).
✩ not all heroes wear capes ✩
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to DuckieIsAdorbz
My parents could careless. They know I'm old enough to understand the rules of privacy and stuff like that. They even know I have an online boyfriend. The reason is because they know how my autism is and how hard it is for me to make friends in real life. They never question it at all. They don't even care that I spend all my time online as much as I do either. They just... know me like that.
Old July 1st, 2014 (09:51 PM).
Monkeyin' around
Super Moderator
CS

My parents know about my "online" life, as I've told them about friends I've made through PC/gaming and I even had a member from PC, Marz, visit me in Los Angeles for a week. We traveled together and it was a blast, so my parents have a positive view of PC/the Internet as a result. :P

MINECRAFT | YOUTUBE | SMOD OF VG | DIXIE | STARVIN'
Old July 1st, 2014 (09:58 PM).
Banned
CS

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Inyotef
My mother's been one to pretty much let me do as I please on the internet since before adolescence, whereas my father has gone to the means of destroying my electronics with brute force in "disapproval" of what I do (totaling a mere $300 before I got out of there). As you can tell I don't live with him anymore and do what I want with my online interactions being little if any concern to my mother in terms of socializing.
Old July 2nd, 2014 (12:45 AM).
Tsunderes forever

Nature: Naughty
They do not really care about my online life.
Old July 2nd, 2014 (01:21 AM).
pls stop talking to me
Silver Tier

Nature: Naughty
i barely have an online life

but i feel like i act exactly the same online and offline so i guess they would approve

i have no online friends either. like i really dont talk to anyone, i just post occasionally
Old July 2nd, 2014 (01:30 AM).
CS

Nature: Jolly
My parents stopped caring about what I did online by the time I turned 15, pretty much. Other than that, I haven't even told them that I'm a moderator here on PC, but they know I do go on a forum everyday.
Old July 2nd, 2014 (05:39 AM).

Both of my parents spend more time online than IRL anyway. I've had online friends visit my house, some from PC as well, all normal to them!
Old July 2nd, 2014 (07:11 AM).
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Gold Tier

Nature: Lax
I highly doubt they'd care that I post on a Pokemon forum. There are some aspects that they probably wouldn't understand and would get upset about, but frankly, those things are none of their business and I know I'm not doing anything unethical.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old July 2nd, 2014 (07:34 AM).
Silver Tier

My parents actually know about PC and my online life in general. They're fine with it, lol. They just don't want me spending hours online, which I don't do anyway.
Old July 2nd, 2014 (07:37 AM).
Fabulous is a simple request
Crystal Tier

My online life has diminished in the last few years, so nothing they're worried about. Previously they were curious as to why I spent so long on the internet, but that's only because I was so young.

Now its they don't care
Old July 2nd, 2014 (08:34 AM).
metra

I had a mostly normal social life before turning to online, so when I did have a year and a half phase of being online so much my parents were concerned and would say things to me, but they never actually did anything. I kinda wish they did do something, but I stopped myself and now I lead an even more active irl social life. With that said I don't consider what I do here or anywhere online as an online life anymore, just something to pass time when I have nothing to do.
Old July 2nd, 2014 (08:47 AM).
Administrator
CS

Nature: Timid
I really doubt they'd care. They don't really pry into what I do online as it matters very little to them. So long as I don't end up living on the computer all day every day, of course.

..though they probably don't even know I'm still into Pokemon but that's for another thread, lol.
Old July 2nd, 2014 (08:57 AM).
The eyes never lie.

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Quilva
My mom doesn't care. Dad can be a bit annoying about it and sometimes forces me to do something else(which often just results on him going on my PC for 2-3 hours so i'm gonna assume he doesn't care that much either)
Old July 2nd, 2014 (09:07 AM).
Mad, Bad and Dangerous To Know

Send a message via Skype™ to Luck Hax
Given what my Dad gets off to on the internet (I did not want to find this out, for the record), I don't think he's in a position to judge. As for the mother, she's probably up to no good online either.

I'm practically a saint, me.
Sarcasm, its what social able people have, you know wen you go out and meet chicks just not on forums 1,000,000 miles away from you and you ask them what color underwear they have. - Aristotle, 355 B.C

me irl
Old July 2nd, 2014 (09:31 AM).
Not wearin glasses.I wanna look awesome.
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
My dad knows about it and frankly doesn't care at all what I do online. Back when I was 13, 14 , 15 , or 16, he'd be concerned about who I was talking to online and the amount of personal information I was sharing. Because back then he obviously was worried of me be assaulted or kidnapped or such. But now that he knows I'm more responsible and trust that who I'm talking to are safe, friendly people, he isn't as concerned about it. I think that back when I was 13, 14 or 15 (2005, 2006, 2007) meeting people on the Internet was considered taboo because not a lot of people did it and many of the cases where people did met up, end up in something tragic. But now it has become more acceptable to meet up with someone you met online and many times people have also formed real life relationships through the Internet.

paired to hikamaru
Gold Supporter

tumblr| instagram| twitter
Old July 2nd, 2014 (10:28 AM).
Wild Duck Pokémon
Gold Tier
CS

As a grown adult who lives on her own turf, I think the answer would be a very swift "I'm sure they don't care".

Back when I was younger though, they were militant about me not being on the internet. For some reason they thought I wasn't mature enough to use it or something, and had very hyperbolic views on the consequences of my internet use. Because of this, I often sneaked on the internet in my teenage years. I was really smart about it, too. I even joined PC during that time.
Old July 2nd, 2014 (03:37 PM).

Quote originally posted by Luck Hax:
Given what my Dad gets off to on the internet (I did not want to find this out, for the record), I don't think he's in a position to judge. As for the mother, she's probably up to no good online either.

I'm practically a saint, me.
Wait, what the Hell does your father get off to on the internet? You've sparked my interest now!

When I was 13 they cared a lot. My Mother was one of those "THE INTERNET'S A DANGEROUS PLACE, FULL OF WITCHCRAFT AND DARK CULTS!" type of people. She got used to it though, especially when I told her that my writing had become extremely popular on the internet (ah, those were the days, when people actually read my writing). However, that all changed when the fire nation attacked when I told her that I had been meeting up with Luck Hax (George) from these forums (of course, this was when I met him on a different forum). She did meet him eventually and found that there was nothing to worry about. I now meet up with people from online regularly and she's cool with it.
Old July 2nd, 2014 (06:24 PM).
Protect his very soul.
Super Moderator
BS
CS

My folks have a general idea that I've invested thousands of hours into PC. They ought to be satisfied that I found somewhere to settle around rather than bother them.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links