The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:31 AM
Snakebyte
About time, I'd say...

Send a message via AIM to Snakebyte Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snakebyte Send a message via Yahoo to Snakebyte
Wow. Great progress with this hack, I remember it from ages ago.

D'you mind if I ask how far the game goes? 'To X City' doesn't really mean much to me, and I didn't see any other indicators anywhere. Just wondering if I should play it now or wait for completion. Glad to know there's a GSC hack of this quality out there.
Old August 4th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Roareye
a.k.a. Khaladar

To be honest, I really love 2nd generation games. That's the main reason I'm still checking out Skeetendo every once in a while. Also, the storyline reminds me A LOT of my favourite handheld console game series, especially this line here:

"You embark on an epic adventure in search for things called Elemental Orbs. Not much is known about these orbs but one thing is for certain, they were the reason for The Crisis one thousand years ago."
(Bonus points if you can guess what this game is!)

This is definitely something I'm going to play. Knowing that there are still people loving the first two generations and their respective games fills my heart with joy.

Great job!

@DOWN:
Indeed, nice guess! The storyline was something that made me spend many days playing this game endlessly. The Djinn system was also really interesting, and the psynergy effects were just brilliant for a GBA game. The newest one for the DS platform is a different story, though.

Last edited by Roareye; August 5th, 2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Snakebyte
About time, I'd say...

Send a message via AIM to Snakebyte Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snakebyte Send a message via Yahoo to Snakebyte
Is that a Golden Sun reference? I only played that very briefly and I couldn't really get into it because that gameplay style hasn't aged well for me, so I'm honestly not sure.
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM
rpg man
My new account is Critx

Nature: Naughty
i Personly love old gen games. keep rocking!

I made a new account was cuz i didn't like the name RPg Man
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Roareye
a.k.a. Khaladar

Wow... just... wow.

I'm on Isaac right now, and all I can say is the following:

THIS. IS. AMAZING.

I was really looking for an experience similar to Prism, and I've found A LOT more. I love the RPG-styled games, and this hack didn't dissapoint me at all. I love the scripted battles (and their difficulty level), the storyline, the map, and pretty much everything. The only thing that bugs me a bit is the quality of the backsprite, but that's really nothing compared to that overwhelming experience I've just had thanks to this damn good hack.

Please, keep it going. It would really be a shame if you stopped working on such a marvelous piece. This is everything a bored 2nd gen fan would dream of.

Thank you!
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Indigo346
Let's Play Maker

Looks amazing! I think I will play it :D
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:59 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roareye View Post
"You embark on an epic adventure in search for things called Elemental Orbs. Not much is known about these orbs but one thing is for certain, they were the reason for The Crisis one thousand years ago."
Strangely enough, I have never played Golden Sun games although I pretty much know what they're like :D
If I'd have to refer to one game with this sentence though, it sounds to me it could be from Chrono Trigger or something...
As you've probably noticed this far, I've taken a lot of ideas from other RPGs just like CT, Final Fantasies, Kingdom Hearts (book), maybe a little bit from Dragonball? etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg man View Post
i Personly love old gen games. keep rocking!
I will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo346 View Post
Looks amazing! I think I will play it :D
Get on with it then

Quote:
Wow... just... wow.

I'm on Isaac right now, and all I can say is the following:

THIS. IS. AMAZING.

I was really looking for an experience similar to Prism, and I've found A LOT more. I love the RPG-styled games, and this hack didn't dissapoint me at all. I love the scripted battles (and their difficulty level), the storyline, the map, and pretty much everything. The only thing that bugs me a bit is the quality of the backsprite, but that's really nothing compared to that overwhelming experience I've just had thanks to this damn good hack.

Please, keep it going. It would really be a shame if you stopped working on such a marvelous piece. This is everything a bored 2nd gen fan would dream of.

Thank you!
What about the backsprite? It's already at its maximum size but could have been drawn better. I've got to mention that I didn't draw it though and do like it myself. It has a lighter palette for Beta 4 btw (already implemented in the version I'm "expanding").

Thanks a lot for the feedback! You know, there are those who pretty much ignore what people have got to tell you but sounds like you're one of the others who want to know what's going on (and who I'm also making this hack for). I've always wanted to create something unique and comments such as this one motivate to finish this hack even more and more (not like I wouldn't finish it one day anyways as I've planned to)

Anyway, the HOTQ competition is still going on so go to give your vote for Dark Future if you loved the gameplay just like this guy here did

Also, nice to see that this hack is getting more and more attention because of that competition even though it probably won't win it.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old August 6th, 2012, 11:07 PM
manutdrule
Not your cup of tea.

Nature: Calm
voted for your hack, and hopefully you can finish it soon

Old August 7th, 2012, 11:05 AM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdrule View Post
voted for your hack, and hopefully you can finish it soon
Thanks, it's going to take a long time to finish the hack though. If I were you, I'd see how Beta 3.1 is and wait for Beta 4 when you've finished playing it (there is really nothing to lose, expect for the fact you might be anxious the play the next release after finishing Beta 3). Realistic goal for now would be having the final version available sometime during the year 2014. It may come earlier but of course also later if I won't have that much time in my hands to work with this hack.

Hacks I support

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:28 PM
miksy91

So now that the competition has been going on, by looking at the replies in that thread, I've realized that most people don't feel like playing this hack because it remains boring even by reading what's written in the main post. I knew the original screenshots looked unexciting but I never wanted to spoil much either but now, felt like updating the screenshots anyhow. So most of the original ones (which were also a bit outdated) were removed and replaced with these new ones that you can view by opening the following spoiler. I don't want to sound selfish or anything but Dark Future deserves more attention than it's currently getting and I want people here to see how good it really is.

Spoiler:

Other than that, I've gotten quite a lot further since finishing Beta 3.1 and I'm putting my finishing touches with the town after Brightbulb City. Interestingly enough, there is no pokemon gym in this town but something far more entertaining to be seen. There is a big house in the northern part of the town where you'll find a staircase leading Underground (name of the area). The first room in there uses same kind of tileset as gate houses do and has a locked door leading somewhere. The people who live in this house tell that the door in the basement has been locked for ages and believe that it may never be opened again. The player might be able to help them out later in the game though.

Hacks I support

Last edited by miksy91; August 9th, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:23 AM
moosepers
Beginning Trainer

Hey I am having trouble with the game crashing after you put your name in. I am using visual boy advance. an error message pops up saying unknown opcode fc at 8019. how can i fix this. I am relativity new to using rom hacks
Old August 10th, 2012, 09:20 AM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

My first guess is you patched the wrong version of the ROM, or it became corrupted. Try redownloading from another source and repatching and make sure it's the correct version in the event more than one exists. Redownload the IPS as well in case that's the problem.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old August 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM
moosepers
Beginning Trainer

Hey I tried changing the rom and re downloading the patch. what emulator do you recommend
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
To be honest, I really love 2nd generation games. That's the main reason I'm still checking out Skeetendo every once in a while. Also, the storyline reminds me A LOT of my favourite handheld console game series, especially this line here:

This is definitely something I'm going to play. Knowing that there are still people loving the first two generations and their respective games fills my heart with joy.

Great job!

@DOWN:
Indeed, nice guess! The storyline was something that made me spend many days playing this game endlessly. The Djinn system was also really interesting, and the psynergy effects were just brilliant for a GBA game. The newest one for the DS platform is a different story, though.
Golden Sun? It's gotta be. It's all it makes me think off.

And, I've voted for this in the HotQ thing, because 1. I love 2nd gen games n hacks, and 2 it just looks so god darn epic!

Good Luck Miksy!
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:03 PM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepers View Post
Hey I tried changing the rom and re downloading the patch. what emulator do you recommend
I use VisualBoyAdvance. It's the go-to emulator IMHO.

Make sure to check the save type is set as 128K Flash before you start the game however. This needs to be set, the emulator closed and restarted, THEN the game loaded. It would be handy, in the Emulator menu, to ensure the Real Time Clock is activated as well.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old August 11th, 2012, 02:21 AM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepers View Post
Hey I am having trouble with the game crashing after you put your name in. I am using visual boy advance. an error message pops up saying unknown opcode fc at 8019. how can i fix this. I am relativity new to using rom hacks
Yeah, that's definitely an error caused by using a different rom file from Silver 1.0 (U) rom. Related to executing code in wrong part of rom but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
And, I've voted for this in the HotQ thing, because 1. I love 2nd gen games n hacks, and 2 it just looks so god darn epic!

Good Luck Miksy!
Thank you

Again, I've to say that you should try it out to see just how epic the hack is

Hacks I support

Old August 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM
DiamondRust
Beginning Trainer

I just had to create an account and vote for this. The hack is amazing and I can't wait for the next update!
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:09 PM
lalitaristotle
Beginning Trainer

I vote it.
and hope full game will release soon

Last edited by lalitaristotle; August 14th, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Disrupter
Beginning Trainer

I find this hack better then Pokemon Brown and Prism.

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:00 PM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondRust View Post
I just had to create an account and vote for this. The hack is amazing and I can't wait for the next update!
Nice! You don't not see people doing this everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitaristotle View Post
I vote it.
and hope full game will release soon
Thanks for the support. And yet, full release is still far, far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disrupter View Post
I find this hack better then Pokemon Brown and Prism.
Wow, thanks. Although I've got to admit, it doesn't surprise me at all that some players prefer this to Brown and Prism. Surely Koolboyman's hacks have lots of add-ons to a normal pokemon game and he could have done so much more than I can but this hack is still something way different.

And not to only quote to messages today, expect a video update really soon! It's of a place called Cave of Illusions.

Edit:
The video is up!

Hacks I support

Last edited by miksy91; August 14th, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:23 AM
ElfinHilon10

Holy crap. I had to revive my old account just to say how AWESOME this hack is. Seriously, one of THE best hacks I have played thus far. It's absolutely amazing, and I would love to help you out with some of the story. It can be a bit flaky in some areas, but it is really good! Please keep to 2nd Gen and below!! Don't add in Later generation pokemon. I hate it when games do that...
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:04 AM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

I'm curious who that dude in the cave was...

Cyclone

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Teddy-Pain
Beginning Trainer

Dang, why are all the gen 1/2 games either bad/ good but not completed. I love playing gb games on my ds, a shame that rom hacks don't last that long. You'll be a legend if you complete this, good ****.
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:40 AM
manutdrule
Not your cup of tea.

Nature: Calm
my only qualm is the lack of TMs (mostly useless ones like detect/defense curl) at the beginning of the game.

most hackers have their own lifes too so you cant rush them into finishing.
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:51 PM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfinHilon10 View Post
Holy crap. I had to revive my old account just to say how AWESOME this hack is. Seriously, one of THE best hacks I have played thus far. It's absolutely amazing, and I would love to help you out with some of the story. It can be a bit flaky in some areas, but it is really good! Please keep to 2nd Gen and below!! Don't add in Later generation pokemon. I hate it when games do that...
Thanks! I PMed you about helping out.
I just might add pokemon from later gens but haven't really planned whether to do so yet. There won't be many in the full version though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
I'm curious who that dude in the cave was...

Cyclone
Shouldn't spoil much if I just answered this clearly here but let's just put it in spoiler anyhow.

Spoiler:
He's just a thief of the group of criminals they talk about in the video. Following him might lead to the answer how to get through the cave later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy-Pain View Post
Dang, why are all the gen 1/2 games either bad/ good but not completed. I love playing gb games on my ds, a shame that rom hacks don't last that long. You'll be a legend if you complete this, good ****.
What's wrong with having good and not completed hacks around? It's a sad fact but many good rom hacks never get finished (I'm not talking about pokemon here). Not like I wouldn't finish this hack but you should really try it out instead of waiting for ages for the final version to be up. The point here is the fact that you've no idea what to expect from this hack until you try it out. You're not going to travel from city to another hunting gym badges, that I can quarantee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdrule View Post
my only qualm is the lack of TMs (mostly useless ones like detect/defense curl) at the beginning of the game.

most hackers have their own lifes too so you cant rush them into finishing.
I made it so that you'll mainly get the bad TMs in the beginning and start getting more useful ones as you progress later. For example Icy Wind can already be obtained in North Star. The fact that Defense Curl and (Detect? can't remember where this might be) can be both gotten in the beginning is probably something to be worked with, maybe change either one of them into something more useful like Swift (which can already be obtained in some point of the game I believe).

I've written down every single TM that is obtainable in the current release I'm making so I should be able to find a replacement to Detect for instance.

Hacks I support

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links