Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 21st, 2011 (05:31 PM).
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Actually, let's be honest, who gives a crap about Contests. Everybody hacks FireRed anyway and doesn't care about Contests, and not to mention if I wanted to keep Contests, I would have to decide how the Gen IV and V moves would behave in a Gen III contest, not to mention there's no Contest stuff in Gen V at all.

So I've decided I'm going to officially corrupt Pokemon Contests for the sake of having the Physical/Special/Status indicator on the Summary screen.

On a more cheerier note, I got around to filling in the data for the remaining attacks, woo!

Pretty soon I'll release a patch that has updated movesets for the 386 Pokemon in Ruby.
Old December 21st, 2011 (06:37 PM).
Hopeless Masquerade
山の新人神様
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Wow. This is quite amazing. It's kind of a shame that you haven't been receiving more support for this.
Old December 21st, 2011 (08:10 PM).
Speedster
The Unknown

Nature: Jolly
I like the animations you both are applying Jambo and Chaos Rush. I tried to look for that Pokemon Vega game with the animations but couldn't find that. Although it would be very cool to see those move animations in-game. And as agentgeo said you guys really deserve some credit for this.

.:Aegis:.
~coming soon~
Old December 22nd, 2011 (12:50 AM). Edited December 22nd, 2011 by Chaos Rush.
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote originally posted by agentgeo:
Wow. This is quite amazing. It's kind of a shame that you haven't been receiving more support for this.
Thank you, and what's even more amazing is that absolutely no ASM was required.

Quote originally posted by Speedster:
I like the animations you both are applying Jambo and Chaos Rush. I tried to look for that Pokemon Vega game with the animations but couldn't find that. Although it would be very cool to see those move animations in-game. And as agentgeo said you guys really deserve some credit for this.
Actually the animations are just existing ones already used by other moves.

BUT

Here is my first "custom" animation:

I combined Mach Punch and Sky Uppercut's animations to produce this, which is essentially Sky Uppercut but with Mach Punch's background. But I might try and make it so that it uses Aeroblast's background.

EDIT:

I really don't know what I'm doing, I'm literally just copying+pasting parts of the animation's hex data until it works. And there was an 02 byte near the end that I changed to 03 which fixed this strange graphical glitch.

Here's the hex data for the "custom" animation (I use GoldFinger so the numbers aren't in hex, but you can copy+paste this into the rom with GoldFinger at it will convert it to hex):
Spoiler:

0 170 39 0 151 39 10 3 14 251 97 29 8 40 8 5 1 55 0 23 12 12 8 4 38 2 248 31 60 8 2 5 0 0 28 0 0 0 0 0 5 0 4 4 3 161 127 10 8 2 5 1 0 4 0 0 0 6 0 1 0 25 123 0 63 2 168 180 61 8 131 4 228 255 28 0 1 0 1 0 4 1 25 123 0 63 2 168 180 61 8 131 4 241 255 8 0 1 0 1 0 25 123 0 63 4 1 25 123 0 63 2 168 180 61 8 131 4 251 255 244 255 1 0 1 0 4 1 25 123 0 63 2 168 180 61 8 131 4 0 0 224 255 1 0 1 0 4 1 25 123 0 63 2 168 180 61 8 131 4 5 0 204 255 1 0 1 0 2 248 31 60 8 2 5 1 0 230 255 16 0 1 0 4 0 4 4 3 85 129 10 8 2 5 1 0 0 0 3 0 6 0 1 0 4 30 2 224 31 60 8 2 3 0 0 0 0 6 0 4 4 2 224 31 60 8 2 3 1 0 0 0 6 0 11 3 13 21 22 16 7 255 255 23 8

EDIT: Oh and I found the patch for Pokemon Vega, gonna mess around with it
Old December 29th, 2011 (01:52 AM).
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quick question. If you're adding the extra 263 Pokemon, won't you need to ASM hack the seen/caught flags for them to work properly?

In which case, what do you propose you will do, since IIRC you don't have the luxury of using the memory block hack?
Old December 29th, 2011 (11:18 AM).
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote originally posted by Jambo51:
Quick question. If you're adding the extra 263 Pokemon, won't you need to ASM hack the seen/caught flags for them to work properly?

In which case, what do you propose you will do, since IIRC you don't have the luxury of using the memory block hack?
Think of the expression, "We'll cross that bridge when we get there." In other words, I'll deal with it once all the sprites and movesets have been added.

But I really don't know what I'm going to do. IIRC, JPAN posted the save block hack stuff on this page, correct? I think he made one for Ruby, but even if I was hacking FireRed I absolutely refuse to use the save block hack, because it causes things to glitch up on actual hardware (your 649 patch has some serious save-related glitches on GBA hardware, and the Emerald hack Pokemon CrystalDust, which uses a similar save block hack in order to have access to more variables when scripting, also has some serious save-related glitches on GBA hardware). Back when I was working on Pokemon DarkViolet, I always made sure that my hack worked just fine on actual GBA hardware, and this is no different.

At this point, I'm probably just going to make it so that there will only be regional dexes in my future Pokemon hacks (no National Dex obtainable), meaning 386 flags is more than enough. (I can make new Pokemon use existing flags, right?)

or ill move on to gen iv hacking so i dont have to deal with this crap
Old December 29th, 2011 (12:15 PM).
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote originally posted by Chaos Rush:
Think of the expression, "We'll cross that bridge when we get there." In other words, I'll deal with it once all the sprites and movesets have been added.

But I really don't know what I'm going to do. IIRC, JPAN posted the save block hack stuff on this page, correct? I think he made one for Ruby, but even if I was hacking FireRed I absolutely refuse to use the save block hack, because it causes things to glitch up on actual hardware (your 649 patch has some serious save-related glitches on GBA hardware, and the Emerald hack Pokemon CrystalDust, which uses a similar save block hack in order to have access to more variables when scripting, also has some serious save-related glitches on GBA hardware). Back when I was working on Pokemon DarkViolet, I always made sure that my hack worked just fine on actual GBA hardware, and this is no different.
I'm well aware of this problem. Thing is, there's no way to avoid usage of it on FR or Emerald - and at the end of the day, most of our end users will be using emulators rather than the real hardware.

At this point, I'm probably just going to make it so that there will only be regional dexes in my future Pokemon hacks (no National Dex obtainable), meaning 386 flags is more than enough. (I can make new Pokemon use existing flags, right?)

or ill move on to gen iv hacking so i dont have to deal with this crap
Well, if you can find enough free unused RAM, then I could port my routine for you, easily. You'll need a total of 176 free RAM bytes which are located in the save block. They need to be back to back as well.

If you manage to find that much free memory, it'd be easy to port the routine I made. Its the memory block, as opposed to the routine, which is causing the problems after all.
Old December 29th, 2011 (12:41 PM). Edited December 29th, 2011 by Chaos Rush.
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Well, if you can find enough free unused RAM, then I could port my routine for you, easily. You'll need a total of 176 free RAM bytes which are located in the save block. They need to be back to back as well.

If you manage to find that much free memory, it'd be easy to port the routine I made. Its the memory block, as opposed to the routine, which is causing the problems after all.
Sorry for this dumb question, but how would I go about looking into the RAM? As far as I know, hex editors only let you look at the 08 part (the ROM).

Would I use VBA or something? If I use the memory viewer, I noticed at 02000000 it says "WRAM", and at 03000000 it says "IRAM". Not sure what either of them means but one of them is the "RAM" you're talking about, correct? I'm assuming it's the "WRAM".

If that is the case, then from 02FF4244 to the end of the WRAM (that would be 02FFFFFF) its just 00 bytes. Would that be free unused RAM? And I know for sure that it's unused because I'm not looking at any old save file - I'm looking at the save file from my actual Ruby cartridge which has the Elite Four completed, most Trainers defeated, and I used VBA's Gameshark to complete the Pokedex, so I know for sure that I've used as much WRAM as possible.
EDIT: Scratch that, instead of 02FF4244, there's some used bytes I found at 02FF83E4.

Starting at 02FFA3E4 to 02FFFFFF appears to be unused. Though since Ruby appears to use the least RAM anyway, we could just subtract B0 (176) from 02FFFFFF, which would be 02FFFF4F.

There's also a chance that I'm speaking complete gibberish because I'm not 100% of what I'm even talking about.

EDIT: Also this is a question that's unrelated, it's just my own curiosity. What exactly does JPAN's save block do? Does FireRed not have 176 free ram bytes?
Old December 29th, 2011 (12:46 PM).
Pingouin_7
This account is now inactive

Nature: Hardy
That's a pretty nice work.
Looking forward to it.
Old December 29th, 2011 (02:16 PM).
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

If that is the case, then from 02FF4244 to the end of the WRAM (that would be 02FFFFFF) its just 00 bytes. Would that be free unused RAM? And I know for sure that it's unused because I'm not looking at any old save file - I'm looking at the save file from my actual Ruby cartridge which has the Elite Four completed, most Trainers defeated, and I used VBA's Gameshark to complete the Pokedex, so I know for sure that I've used as much WRAM as possible.
EDIT: Scratch that, instead of 02FF4244, there's some used bytes I found at 02FF83E4.
It needs to be in the WRAM, but even then - that's no guarantee. Basically, you need to find 172 bytes of concurrent space in one of the 3 main save blocks of memory. I know how to check the save blocks in FR, but not in Ruby. Ironically, because they are DMA protected in FR, they're easy to find.

The WRAM ends at 0x0203FFFF in the GBA games, so it's certainly not going to work with any value higher than that.

EDIT: Also this is a question that's unrelated, it's just my own curiosity. What exactly does JPAN's save block do? Does FireRed not have 176 free ram bytes?
JPAN's save block hack gives us an extra 0x1000 bytes of memory to use to save things to the save file. Which is useful since there is little or no free space inside the existing save blocks.
Old December 29th, 2011 (02:28 PM).
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Well then, looking at the Memory viewer, 0x0203A3DF - 0x0203FFFF appears to be unused in Pokemon Ruby, would it be possible to try anywhere from there? And there's a bunch of unused bytes before 0x0203A3BF that appears to be unused - in my nearly complete Ruby save file.

(sorry but I'm not sure how save blocks work)
Old December 29th, 2011 (02:42 PM).
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Yeah, I'm not that sure either man. But the thing is, this hack NEEDS the extended seen/caught flags. It would need ASM with either way you plan to do it, the only difference is that having them all available is infinitely better than just a handful of them.

I suspect (although I do have no evidence) that the area you've pointed me towards probably doesn't get saved when saving.
Old December 29th, 2011 (02:49 PM).
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Yeah, I'm not that sure either man. But the thing is, this hack NEEDS the extended seen/caught flags. It would need ASM with either way you plan to do it, the only difference is that having them all available is infinitely better than just a handful of them.

I suspect (although I do have no evidence) that the area you've pointed me towards probably doesn't get saved when saving.
I'll be willing to test it out for you. I have an older version of this hack that has 493 Pokemon, and we can also try having the 25 "??" Pokemon (the ones that occupy the slots after Celebi and before Treecko) show up in the Pokedex, since they actually have Pokedex numbers assigned to them (387-411).
Old December 29th, 2011 (08:22 PM).
Pingouin_7

IMO, having those Pokémon show up as caught isn't that important, as long as they don't mess up anything in-game.
But having it done would make the hack look closer to what GameFreak would originally have done if they had included those Pokémon in Gen III.
Old December 29th, 2011 (11:31 PM).
Mr.Pkmn
Someone making a pokemon hack

By sacrificing a box you get 80x30=2400 savable space.

Yes, there WILL be a storage shortage problem when you're dealing with an hack with x2 pokemon but i think it's a good compromise.

Just make sure to disable access to box 14 by every means
Old December 29th, 2011 (11:53 PM).
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote originally posted by Mr.Pkmn:
By sacrificing a box you get 80x30=2400 savable space.

Yes, there WILL be a storage shortage problem when you're dealing with an hack with x2 pokemon but i think it's a good compromise.

Just make sure to disable access to box 14 by every means
But then I have to locate where the Box 14 data is stored in the ram, then edit the routine that loads the boxes to prevent box 14, neither of which I have any idea how to do.

By no means is your idea a bad one, but keep in mind that I have very little ASM knowledge and have no idea how to do anything when it comes to ram re-pointing.

Not to mention there's a good chance Ruby has enough space in the RAM, considering how it saves the least data out of all the GBA games.
Old December 30th, 2011 (05:50 PM). Edited December 30th, 2011 by Powerflare.
Powerflare
Pokémon Trainer N

Nature: Rash
Just stumbled upon this project today and it's a really cool idea. Keep up the excellent work guys! :D I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

"... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..." -Red

Pokémon Black Version || Pokémon White Version

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Old December 30th, 2011 (07:39 PM).
Pingouin_7

By the way, I like the way you decided to handle forme changes.
It's the best way to do it without having to be knowledgeable in ASM editing.
I assume the items are key items that don't get consumed once you change forme?
Old December 31st, 2011 (11:12 AM).
Powerflare
Pokémon Trainer N

Yeah, that's a good idea for dealing with the numerous Pokemon that have different formes. What are you gonna do about Pokemon such as Arceus with 17 (18 if you include ???-type, I thought I heard it has a sprite for it) formes? Will it evolve, for example, like this? Normal-type > Fire-type > Water-type > other types > Normal-type?

Also, another idea for the Brave Bird animation is the attacking phase of Sky Attack. Also Luster Purge could be used for a variety of different moves and would look pretty nice imo.

Another thing... I envy your spriting abilities. They all look so good. *is jealous*

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Old December 31st, 2011 (02:18 PM). Edited December 31st, 2011 by Chaos Rush.
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Since it's taking LIKE SERIOUSLY FOREVER to insert updated movesets, I decided since I'm not going to post anything for a while, I might as well have something to show:

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/825/g0w.mp4/
(this video contains Flare Blitz, Seed Bomb, Aqua Tail, Inferno, and Shadow Claw)
EDIT: so um the video doesn't work crap ill upload it somewhere else soon

~~~~~~~
Quote originally posted by Pingouin_7:
By the way, I like the way you decided to handle forme changes.
It's the best way to do it without having to be knowledgeable in ASM editing.
I assume the items are key items that don't get consumed once you change forme?
Well I actually haven't implemented the new items yet, that was just a test using existing items. But using them as Key Items sounds like a good idea.

Quote originally posted by Powerflare:
Yeah, that's a good idea for dealing with the numerous Pokemon that have different formes. What are you gonna do about Pokemon such as Arceus with 17 (18 if you include ???-type, I thought I heard it has a sprite for it) formes? Will it evolve, for example, like this? Normal-type > Fire-type > Water-type > other types > Normal-type?

Also, another idea for the Brave Bird animation is the attacking phase of Sky Attack. Also Luster Purge could be used for a variety of different moves and would look pretty nice imo.

Another thing... I envy your spriting abilities. They all look so good. *is jealous*
About Arceus, I'm not entirely sure, but I'll do it somehow. I have creative ideas.

And yes, I was thinking about simply using the Sky Attack phase 2 animation, though possibly with a different background to differentiate it. And yes I've already used Luster Purge's animation for several new moves.

not to brag about my art, but I wish more people cared about sprites so I didn't have to sprite all this stuff alone ;_;
Old December 31st, 2011 (05:19 PM).
PKMN Trainer Alison
I'll follow you into the dark.

Nature: Gentle
With arceus, Maybe you could do an eevee like evolution depending on which "stone" you use. Then those forms all evolve back into the original form. I don't know, it was the best I could contribute to this awesome project.
Old December 31st, 2011 (05:45 PM).
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote originally posted by PKMN Trainer Alison:
With arceus, Maybe you could do an eevee like evolution depending on which "stone" you use. Then those forms all evolve back into the original form. I don't know, it was the best I could contribute to this awesome project.
You can only have up to 5 evolutions. I already know what I'm going to do with Eevee, but I'm not too sure about Arceus yet.
Old December 31st, 2011 (09:58 PM).
Pingouin_7

How about keeping only the Normal forme Arceus?
Or keeping only 5 formes.
Old January 1st, 2012 (07:25 PM).
Powerflare
Pokémon Trainer N

so um the video doesn't work crap ill upload it somewhere else soon

~~~~~

About Arceus, I'm not entirely sure, but I'll do it somehow. I have creative ideas.

And yes, I was thinking about simply using the Sky Attack phase 2 animation, though possibly with a different background to differentiate it. And yes I've already used Luster Purge's animation for several new moves.

not to brag about my art, but I wish more people cared about sprites so I didn't have to sprite all this stuff alone ;_;
I can't wait to watch it! Also, I wish I could help... but I can't sprite. I fail horribly. Anyways, Game Freak should be offering you money for your sprites... they're just that awesome.

Old January 1st, 2012 (08:00 PM).
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Alright guys, check this out:
http://tinypic.com/r/4gol6a/5
(the sound goes off-sync after a while, I don't know how to fix that)

Sponsored Links