Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development
Reload this Page Research: Chaos Rush's 649 on Ruby Project

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old January 2nd, 2012 (09:37 AM).
Pokémon Trainer N
Silver Tier

Nature: Rash
Quote originally posted by Chaos Rush:
Alright guys, check this out:
http://tinypic.com/r/4gol6a/5
(the sound goes off-sync after a while, I don't know how to fix that)
Wow! Excellent work! Great job! The sprites look great; also, great job with the new moves. :D

"... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..." -Red

Pokémon Black Version || Pokémon White Version

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Old January 2nd, 2012 (11:59 AM). Edited January 2nd, 2012 by Rayziken 2.
Beginning ROM Hacker

Perhaps you could make a logo that's half of the move's type (Like Grass) and category (Like Special). I'll make them all for you.

EDIT: Couldn't make them properly, the halfway line isn't exactly in the middle, and I can't find a good diagonal half line.

Old January 2nd, 2012 (12:20 PM).
Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
I must say, this is very impressive! I like how you cut bits from moves and re-use them to create new ones. It's pretty awesome.
Old January 2nd, 2012 (01:21 PM). Edited January 2nd, 2012 by Chaos Rush.
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by Rayziken 2:
Perhaps you could make a logo that's half of the move's type (Like Grass) and category (Like Special). I'll make them all for you.

EDIT: Couldn't make them properly, the halfway line isn't exactly in the middle, and I can't find a good diagonal half line.
Don't even bother, because I already know what I'm going to do (I will destroy Pokemon Contests! mwahahahah). Not to mention your method would involve creating an extra 17 new types, which is laughably ridiculous and tedious.

Quote originally posted by Teh Blazer:
I must say, this is very impressive! I like how you cut bits from moves and re-use them to create new ones. It's pretty awesome.
Well that's not exactly what I did, I re-pointed all the tables associated with moves and simply added new moves, and currently most of the new moves use existing animations (EXCEPT BRAVE BIRD HAS A CUSTOM ANIMATION :DDDDDDD). But thanks anyways :D

Oh, and the reason why I won't be releasing anything for a while is because I'm currently in the process of updating every Pokemon's moveset. And it's taking literally forever ;____;
Old January 2nd, 2012 (02:11 PM).
The Unknown

Nature: Jolly
Oh, and the reason why I won't be releasing anything for a while is because I'm currently in the process of updating every Pokemon's moveset. And it's taking literally forever ;____;
Well as I read you said you found that one hack that had B/W move graphics inserted so I'm guessing that'll help speed up the process.

.:Aegis:.
~coming soon~
Old January 3rd, 2012 (08:18 AM).
Beginning ROM Hacker

That would be a good idea. My only problem is that the B/W graphics hurt my eyes whenever I play the game, including the move ones.

Old January 3rd, 2012 (03:14 PM).
im sexy and i know it

Quote originally posted by Speedster:
Well as I read you said you found that one hack that had B/W move graphics inserted so I'm guessing that'll help speed up the process.
Um no I said Pokemon Vega has Gen IV attacks in it. I don't think it has Gen V.

Also I was talking about each and every individual Pokemon's moveset. Not the game's moveset, but the Pokemon's. I have to do 386 of them. And I've only done 40 so far.
Old January 5th, 2012 (01:23 PM).
Please call me FoxMan.

>nitpicky post even though no one cares
Actually, Vega has 22 custom Gen V moves. C:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this, so I'll be steadily following it. Keep up the good work. :D

Mah Pokes.
Old January 13th, 2012 (10:55 PM).

Please do not give up. :0 Im looking forward to this!
Old January 18th, 2012 (09:24 PM).
im sexy and i know it

Quote originally posted by AMT:
Please do not give up. :0 Im looking forward to this!
Haven't given up, still working on movesets. Yes, it's taking THAT long.

Currently have up to Kadabra (#64) complete.

That's 64 movesets inserted. Only 322 to go. (585 if I include Gen IV and V)
*sigh* -____________-
Old January 22nd, 2012 (09:41 AM). Edited January 22nd, 2012 by Darkest Shade of Light.
Pokémon Midnight Sun

Definitely going to be following this. I just wish you would've kept up the track with 493 because I stopped at Gen IV, not really interested in Gen V :/

EDIT: For your issue with Arceus, why not do what Game Freak did with Castform? All you'd have to do is modify the transformation code to transform the Pokémon based on what item is being held, as opposed to what the status of the battle weather is.
Old January 22nd, 2012 (09:53 AM).
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Darkest Shade of Light:
Definitely going to be following this. I just wish you would've kept up the track with 493 because I stopped at Gen IV, not really interested in Gen V :/
I dislike all the Pokémon after Gen 2, and if I took that attitude towards any hacks I did, it would be incredibly short sighted. Just because I don't like them, it doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't like them. Long story short, I put all 649 Pokémon in my patch (and so is Chaos Rush) so that the end users have the choice of which Pokémon they want to use without having to overwrite existing Pokémon.

That's my philosophy towards it.
Old January 23rd, 2012 (12:38 PM).
,@,e .ºoO

Haven't given up, still working on movesets. Yes, it's taking THAT long.

Currently have up to Kadabra (#64) complete.

That's 64 movesets inserted. Only 322 to go. (585 if I include Gen IV and V)
*sigh* -____________-
Level-up movesets? Are you doing them by hand? It would be much faster to write a script to translate and copy the movesets from a B/W ROM to your Ruby ROM, surely.
Old January 23rd, 2012 (03:21 PM).
im sexy and i know it

Quote originally posted by Awkward Squirtle:
Level-up movesets? Are you doing them by hand? It would be much faster to write a script to translate and copy the movesets from a B/W ROM to your Ruby ROM, surely.
Yes, I am doing them by hand. And no, I can't copy+paste from B/W, because my move index numbers do not match B/W's move index numbers. I haven't added all moves up to Gen V, I've added a select 129 new moves from both Gen IV and V.
Old January 23rd, 2012 (04:01 PM).
The Unknown

EDIT: For your issue with Arceus, why not do what Game Freak did with Castform? All you'd have to do is modify the transformation code to transform the Pokémon based on what item is being held, as opposed to what the status of the battle weather is.
I know both Jambo and Chaos are extremely knowledgeable but I doubt it is very easy to modify the Castform Routine. I've seen it tried to be done before and there weren't good results. So it would take quite some time at my guess for it to be done.

~coming soon~
Old January 23rd, 2012 (05:27 PM).

Errr, no. It's most likely as simple as searching for castform's index number, looking for loads of it, and changing it.

Let me look at it one sec...Castform has index number 385, so that's 0x181. Let me search for loads of 0x181 with ida pro...

08011F50, 08018CD4, 08018E06, 08018E24, 08018E30, 080194F8, 08019DC0, 0803440A, 080345CA, 08034FCE, 08074638, 08074704, 08074768, 08076CA6, 08088E96

Use a debugger to set breaks on thumb at these points, then do a castform transformation. The one that breaks will be the place it loads and checks if the pokemon currently in battle is castform. From there all you'd have to do is change it to the one you want. Or you could add others if you hooked on your on routine in there some place.
Old January 23rd, 2012 (05:51 PM).
Pokémon Midnight Sun

Quote originally posted by Jambo51:
I dislike all the Pokémon after Gen 2, and if I took that attitude towards any hacks I did, it would be incredibly short sighted. Just because I don't like them, it doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't like them. Long story short, I put all 649 Pokémon in my patch (and so is Chaos Rush) so that the end users have the choice of which Pokémon they want to use without having to overwrite existing Pokémon.

That's my philosophy towards it.
I'm sorry, I was misunderstood.
What I meant was having two separate versions. One with the 649 from Generations I-V, and one with 493 from Generations I-IV, to avoid using unnecessary amounts of space for the 146 or so Pokémon not being used by people who want to avoid Generation 5. Also, this brings up the thought of how difficult it could be to remove Pokémon. Like, rolling back the ROM to make it only have Gen 1/2 Pokémon, freeing up space to have a massive world, or a crap ton of events and stuff...

Having issues with Multiquote:

@Speedster
Actually, it isn't all that hard, with about an hour of work, I just gave Castform two new transformations (overwriting ?? slots) that would be taken during sandstorm conditions and then when holding a Poké Ball in battle. Granted, this was only two forms, and Castform still showed up as normal in battle before changing to it's Poké Ball form in battle. But I suppose that doing it this way would require having more like 664 Pokémon in-game to accommodate for the Arceus forms, since I cannot for the life of me figure out how they added "frames" for Castform in R/S/E
Old January 23rd, 2012 (06:07 PM).
The Unknown

Quote originally posted by NintendoBoyDX:
Errr, no. It's most likely as simple as searching for castform's index number, looking for loads of it, and changing it.

Let me look at it one sec...Castform has index number 385, so that's 0x181. Let me search for loads of 0x181 with ida pro...

08011F50, 08018CD4, 08018E06, 08018E24, 08018E30, 080194F8, 08019DC0, 0803440A, 080345CA, 08034FCE, 08074638, 08074704, 08074768, 08076CA6, 08088E96

Use a debugger to set breaks on thumb at these points, then do a castform transformation. The one that breaks will be the place it loads and checks if the pokemon currently in battle is castform. From there all you'd have to do is change it to the one you want. Or you could add others if you hooked on your on routine in there some place.
What I meant was having two separate versions. One with the 649 from Generations I-V, and one with 493 from Generations I-IV, to avoid using unnecessary amounts of space for the 146 or so Pokémon not being used by people who want to avoid Generation 5. Also, this brings up the thought of how difficult it could be to remove Pokémon. Like, rolling back the ROM to make it only have Gen 1/2 Pokémon, freeing up space to have a massive world, or a crap ton of events and stuff...

Having issues with Multiquote:

@Speedster
Actually, it isn't all that hard, with about an hour of work, I just gave Castform two new transformations (overwriting ?? slots) that would be taken during sandstorm conditions and then when holding a Poké Ball in battle. Granted, this was only two forms, and Castform still showed up as normal in battle before changing to it's Poké Ball form in battle. But I suppose that doing it this way would require having more like 664 Pokémon in-game to accommodate for the Arceus forms, since I cannot for the life of me figure out how they added "frames" for Castform in R/S/E
Well you both proved me wrong. I'm still guessing its not as simple as a snap of the finger though. There will still be bugs to work out in the routine but I'm glad your knowledge over me has helped me learn more.

~coming soon~
Old January 23rd, 2012 (07:19 PM).
Pokémon Midnight Sun

Well you both proved me wrong. I'm still guessing its not as simple as a snap of the finger though. There will still be bugs to work out in the routine but I'm glad your knowledge over me has helped me learn more.
No, it's nowhere near as easy as a snap of the finger. My method was very buggy, and only meant to show it would work, and it still took me an hour to work out how to do it. So, what Chaos Rush is doing is a very difficult, while still very useful, tool. Although I feel like a jerk just kind of waiting for this to be happened.

@Chaos Rush
Is there any way those of us interested could help out?
Old January 23rd, 2012 (09:31 PM).
im sexy and i know it

I know both Jambo and Chaos are extremely knowledgeable
AHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm not knowledgeable. I can't do ASM. I just know how to repoint and expand tables, which is what's most important when adding new Pokemon.

What I meant was having two separate versions. One with the 649 from Generations I-V, and one with 493 from Generations I-IV, to avoid using unnecessary amounts of space for the 146 or so Pokémon not being used by people who want to avoid Generation 5.
That would be ridiculous. So you're saying, after painstakingly expanding all the tables to 649 Pokemon, I have to do it again on another rom, but this time 493? Sorry, I ain't doing that. Nobody's forcing you to use Gen V Pokemon. And Ruby has plenty of free space.

@Chaos Rush
Is there any way those of us interested could help out?
I wish . But I've made up all Pokemon's new movesets in Notepad to keep track of what their moveset would be with my patch's movebank, and since there's all these files and offsets I have to keep track of, it would be a disaster letting someone else work on it without all the information & plans I have.

This is gonna take awhile...seriously losing motivation
Old January 24th, 2012 (03:20 AM).
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
I wish . But I've made up all Pokemon's new movesets in Notepad to keep track of what their moveset would be with my patch's movebank, and since there's all these files and offsets I have to keep track of, it would be a disaster letting someone else work on it without all the information & plans I have.

This is gonna take awhile...seriously losing motivation
Don't hesitate to ask for my help, man. I can provide just about any piece of information you want related to these expansions, and if you wanted, I could provide the little pieces of ASM you feel you need.

For example, I recently developed a Seen/Caught Flag repoint which actually redistributes the existing save space for them to allow for extra seen/caught flags. I can go into more detail than that if required. It's for Emerald, but it wouldn't be too hard to port to Ruby, I don't think.

Don't lose motivation. Stop for a while and come back to it when you ARE motivated. That's what I did, and I feel better for it,
Old January 24th, 2012 (10:20 AM).

This is great, can't wait for it!
Old January 24th, 2012 (06:21 PM).
Pokémon Midnight Sun

That would be ridiculous. So you're saying, after painstakingly expanding all the tables to 649 Pokemon, I have to do it again on another rom, but this time 493? Sorry, I ain't doing that. Nobody's forcing you to use Gen V Pokemon. And Ruby has plenty of free space.
Oh. I didn't know it'd be two completely separate projects. I figured just copy/pasting the same thing with smaller values for available Pokémon. I've never tried to mess around with tables and such :/
Old January 27th, 2012 (07:39 AM).
,@,e .ºoO

Yes, I am doing them by hand. And no, I can't copy+paste from B/W, because my move index numbers do not match B/W's move index numbers. I haven't added all moves up to Gen V, I've added a select 129 new moves from both Gen IV and V.
When I did something similar (replace 4th gen movesets with 3rd gen moves), I made a table that maps non-existent moves to similar existing ones (e.g. Fire Fang -> Flame Wheel, Shadow Claw -> Shadow Punch etc) before replacing them. If you're still not too far in, it would save a lot of time if you did this (then manually edited the movesets afterwards if necessary).
Old January 27th, 2012 (02:45 PM).
im sexy and i know it

Quote originally posted by Awkward Squirtle:
When I did something similar (replace 4th gen movesets with 3rd gen moves), I made a table that maps non-existent moves to similar existing ones (e.g. Fire Fang -> Flame Wheel, Shadow Claw -> Shadow Punch etc) before replacing them. If you're still not too far in, it would save a lot of time if you did this (then manually edited the movesets afterwards if necessary).
You seem to be forgetting that my rom has 129 new moves added. I didn't replace any moves. I added new moves.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)