Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design
Reload this Page The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource [COMPLETED]

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Old July 17th, 2013 (01:58 AM).

your work is realy usefull, thanks for that.
I have one question, i thinks i know the answer but that cost anythink to ask:
Have you planned to do a 2nd frame ?
Old July 17th, 2013 (02:38 AM). Edited July 17th, 2013 by Eelektross005.

Quote originally posted by Unihag:
your work is realy usefull, thanks for that.
I have one question, i thinks i know the answer but that cost anythink to ask:
Have you planned to do a 2nd frame ?
No,he is not doing it,i have cheeked the whole thread like 2 times
i do not need to say it
Quote originally posted by Chaos Rush:
I only deleted them from the post. I still have the files. But I'm not going to make any more second frames, do you really expect me to make 1947 sprites (649 front + 649 frame 2 + 649 back)? 1298 sprites is a little more manageable than 1947. (and yes I know I got some help with Sinnoh backsprites so I don't really have to make 1298 sprites blahblahblah) :
i hope i helped you

EDIT : Nice Work chaos! he he i do not mind the swoobat and archeops back sprite,they are 95% good and 5% bad in my opinion
Old July 22nd, 2013 (08:22 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2013 by Chaos Rush.
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Helping Guidelines for the DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource

So you want to help out with the sprite project? Or you're just wanting to know how I do things? Then read up. I have decided to make this tutorial/guideline-whatever-thingy because a large amount of people have PMed me wanting to be a helper, but I just don't have time to individually keep track of every sprite that someone makes for this project, and the fact that there are a lot of guidelines to follow. And I mean, a lot. To the point where you may even call it ridiculous. But alas, quality is what matters, and every time I make a sprite for this project, I follow all of these guidelines.

First of all, the point of this project is so ROM hackers will stop using crappily resized sprites in their hacks, where no effort was made to clean them up. Compare these two screenshots:

As you can see, the one on the left looks absolutely disgusting. On the left screen, the sprites weren't cleaned up at all. On the right, the sprites are cleaned up. The aim of this project is to create a clean, usable sprite for every Pokémon. Another problem is that some people don't even bother resizing sprites if they already fit, which would make the Pokemon look ridiculously huge. This project avoids that by resizing Pokémon to the relative size that they had in their R/S/E sprite, and for Gen IV and V Pokémon, good judgment is simply used to make sure Pokemon have good relative sizes to one another.

As for the actual sprites for this project, we don't just pick a random sprite of [insert Pokémon here] from any random DS game. I have specialized "big" sprites that are handpicked by me to be resized specifically for this project. We'll call them the master sheets. They are posted on the bottom of this post. These sprites are all 80x80, and are the only sprites to be used when doing a sprite for this project.

You may notice that some of these sprites have custom palettes. This is because many Pokémon had a color palette that was very off in comparison to their official Sugimori art. As new games came out, the problem became more and more apparent, as Pokémon from Generations IV and V seemed to match their Sugimori art just fine, while Pokémon from Generations I-III not so much. This is because a lot of Gen I and II Pokémon have used the same color palette since Ruby/Sapphire, before they even had their official artwork remade! When Ken Sugimori redrew the Generation I Pokémon, he made a lot of minor design changes, some that didn't make it into sprites until Pokémon Black & White (such as Clefable now having purple wings, or Venusaur having pink spots on its flower instead of yellow), and some changes never made it into sprites at all! Luckily for Pokémon X & Y, all Pokémon are having their colors taken directly from the Sugimori art, so all these color discrepancies are a thing of the past. But right now we're talking about Gen III ROM hacking, so sprites are still relevant. The reason why not everyone might have noticed how off-color the Gens I-III Pokémon are, in comparison to how Gens IV & V were spot-on is simply because our eyes are used to seeing them in the same colors since Ruby/Sapphire.

Ok, I'll shut up now and let's start the actual resizing part. These are the basic rules to follow:
Spoiler:
-When resizing a Pokémon, you must resize to the same size as it was in Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire. And by "same size", I am not talking about pixel width and pixel height. What I mean by "same size" is something along the lines of, "alright, so if R/S Arcanine were to pose like B/W Arcanine, how big would the sprite look?" Note that this is just a general rule, and you don't have to follow it exactly. Basically, small Pokémon should look small. Medium Pokémon should look medium. Big Pokémon should look big. Need R/S sprites for reference? Look here: http://veekun.com/static/pokedex/downloads/generation-3.png

-You must use the sprite from the master sheets I posted above. No exceptions.

-All backsprites have to be from Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver. And the reason why, is because Diamond/Pearl had a lot of crappy backsprites. A lot of these backsprites were re-done in Pokémon Platinum, and carried into HeartGold/SoulSilver. For some reason, many people want to resize ugly-looking D/P backsprites. But really, Platinum had a lot of new, better-looking backsprites. Don't believe me? Take a look:
D/P backsprites: http://veekun.com/static/pokedex/downloads/diamond-pearl-back.png
Plt. backsprites: http://veekun.com/static/pokedex/downloads/platinum-back.png

-If the Pokémon sprite from the Master Sheet fits within a 40x40 square, then you don't have to resize it at all, no matter what. Don't know how to make a 40x40 square? Open up MS Paint, go to Image--->Attributes, and put in 40 for both width and height.

-If the sprite from Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire is actually bigger than the sprite from the Master Sheet, such as Treecko, then you don't have to resize it at all.

-When resizing a sprite, you must maintain the aspect ratio. For some reason, some people choose to resize sprites at differing ratios vertically and horizontally, which makes no sense whatsoever because then the Pokémon will look ugly and squished.

All necessary sprites will be posted here:

Master Sheets: (go to bottom of this post)
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Front Sprites: http://veekun.com/static/pokedex/downloads/generation-3.png
Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver Back Sprites: http://veekun.com/static/pokedex/downloads/heartgold-soulsilver-back.png
note: I recommend either downloading the individual HG/SS backsprites from the Veekun site, or just copy+paste the HG/SS backsprite from the Veekun Pokedex. DO NOT USE BULBAPEDIA TO GET YOUR BACKSPRITE, because Bulbapedia only has the crappy D/P backsprites.

Spriting "tutorial":
Spoiler:

To help with this project, just follow these instructions:
1. Pick a Pokémon that doesn't have its sprite sheet done yet.
2. Get the Pokémon's sprite from the Master Sheets posted above.
3. Get the Pokémon's HeartGold/SoulSilver backsprite. Make sure it is specifically from HG/SS, not D/P or Platinum.
4. Resize accordingly, using the tutorial as a reference/helper/whatever.
5. Simply post the front and backsprite all cleaned up, that's all.

Do not worry about shiny sprites, as I will handle those. Also do not worry about assembling them into sheets, I will do that myself. Chances are I'm going to end up making a minor edit to your sprite(s) anyway, as no sprite is perfect (not even the official ones).

Also, because of how many palettes from the Master Sheet may differ from the HG/SS backsprite, of course the HG/SS backsprite will have to be recolored to match the front sprite from the Master Sheets. But don't do that. Let me do that, as many people have been recoloring them wrong, or incomplete.

One more thing, I might have said this earlier, but let me emphasize: If the Pokemon looks like its the same size sprite-wise as it was in Gen III, or fits in a 40x40 square, don't resize it. Examples of Pokemon that obviously don't need to be resized are Pichu, Oddish, Gloom, Cubone, Ditto, Togepi, Natu, Swinub, Aron, Luvdisc, etc...

7/28/13 amendment: if an entire evolutionary family fits within 64x64 and it is not a single-stage family, then the front sprites of said evolutionary family do not need to be resized. I've been following this rule myself with the Kanto and Unova sprites, such as how I didn't resize the front sprites of Klink, Klang, and Klinklang because they all fit. HOWEVER, if the Pokemon looks ridiculously huge, and I mean, ridiculously huge despite the entire evolutionary family fitting in 64x64, then it should still be resized. (For example, Glalie)

8/23/13 amendment: don't recolor the HG/SS backsprite at all. Let me do that, since many people have been doing it wrong and/or incomplete.

MASTER SHEETS:
Attached Images
File Type: png Gen I.png‎ (248.8 KB, 407 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png Gen II.png‎ (148.3 KB, 342 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png Gen III.png‎ (220.1 KB, 421 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old July 23rd, 2013 (06:04 PM).
Pokémon Midnight Sun

So close to having that full Gen V demake possibility, save for some work with the stupid amounts of forms they're giving everything.
Anyways, Chaos, have you seen the static Mewtwo Awakened Forme sprite floating around the internet? Any chance you might remake that sprite for this project, since it's directly related to a current gen?
Old July 25th, 2013 (01:16 AM).
im sexy and i know it

Alright, so the Helping Guidelines has been officially posted. (also I "secretly" posted a bunch of Kanto sprites that I made for the sake of progressing on my hack. Also Fearow, Ekans, Zubat, and Onix had their palettes updated to match their official art more. Also the Azurill family has been added. And female sprites for Alakazam, Murkrow, and Starly have been added)

New rules:
*There is no longer a "helpers" list. Anyone can contribute.
*I/possibly others will provide constructive criticism to your sprite if I don't accept it.
*do not PM me/VM me if "I saw your sprite" because that got REALLY ANNOYING in the past
*please give me time to put your sprite into a sheet, don't PM me/VM me
Old July 25th, 2013 (02:44 AM).
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
I made Bayleaf's sprite:

I know these are not the best so please give me some criticism.

Old July 25th, 2013 (03:53 AM). Edited July 25th, 2013 by Spark.
Hello. :3

Nature: Jolly
Hi Chaos Rush, your works are very, very useful.
They are so clean and amazing. :3
Best of luck with this project.

Edit:
Btw, I did Treecko's sprites.
They are not the best but I did my best.

• Spark
Old July 25th, 2013 (08:25 AM).
im sexy and i know it

Quote originally posted by Aryan143:
I made Bayleaf's sprite:

I know these are not the best so please give me some criticism.
About the front sprite:
*The size is just right
*There's lots of outlining issues. Please read the tutorial carefully what I said about making sure ALL outlines are smooth.
*There's missing pixels on the base of its neck

About the backsprite:
*You recolored the shades wrong. I said in the tutorial that if you're not confident in your recoloring ability, then don't even recolor it at all, as I can do that myself.
*Looks like you completely ignored what I said about having smooth outlines. There are jaggy outlines everywhere. I said to make sure it looks like how it should if you were to draw it at that resolution, I definitely would not have drawn it like that.

Quote originally posted by Spark:
Hi Chaos Rush, your works are very, very useful.
They are so clean and amazing. :3
Best of luck with this project.

Edit:
Btw, I did Treecko's sprites.
They are not the best but I did my best.

• Spark
lol you don't even need to post the front sprite if it doesn't need to be resized. Anyways, the backsprite looks very well done. There are a few minor changes that I would make to it that someone only as nitpicky as me would do. Don't worry about fixing it, because this is near-perfect and good enough for me to work with.
Old July 25th, 2013 (11:21 AM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Spoiler:

Just so we don't do work twice, that is what I have so far. Right now, my OW project is taking preference, so I may not be working on these as much, but I will get as many as I can done.
Attached Images
File Type: png Big Sheet.png‎ (69.0 KB, 312 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Paired with Simba
Old July 25th, 2013 (11:33 AM). Edited July 25th, 2013 by Chaos Rush.
im sexy and i know it

And I present to you, all four member of the three musketeers:

The Cobalion back sprite was made a long time ago by atif, though I edited it to extend the horns to how they looked in Pokedex 3D Pro. Everything else was done by me.

Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
Spoiler:

Just so we don't do work twice, that is what I have so far. Right now, my OW project is taking preference, so I may not be working on these as much, but I will get as many as I can done.
Great job! These look absolutely fantastic!
Old July 25th, 2013 (12:04 PM).
Limited Capacity

Nature: Naive
OMG You are so close. All I need are Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem (including forms). I would do them, but I'm gonna be extremely busy for the next few weeks. College stuff, very important. I hope they're finished soon!

Pokémon Emerald 650 (Resource Patch): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=346694
Pokémon Theta Emerald: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=349258
Old July 25th, 2013 (12:55 PM).

These are amazing sprites. Even Terrakoon's big butt. I'm eager to see how you will fit Thundurus-T, with its tricky proportions due to the long tail.
Old July 25th, 2013 (08:09 PM).
Please call me FoxMan.

Nature: Jolly
Oh wow, Terrakion's backsprite looks bulky as all heck and I love it. C:

Mah Pokes.
Old July 25th, 2013 (08:30 PM). Edited July 25th, 2013 by dreamengine.

Here's my go at it lol. I feel pretty proud of it, but I don't know there's probably something wrong.

Old July 25th, 2013 (09:25 PM).
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Here are some Johto sprites that I've done! I'm also uploading the individual sprites
to the link I gave you before.

Spoiler:
Old July 25th, 2013 (09:40 PM). Edited July 25th, 2013 by Chaos Rush.
im sexy and i know it

@dreamengine: You did a fine job. If you want me to be honest, yeah it's not perfect (some parts of the Bayleef backsprite) but it's much easier to work with rather than starting from scratch. Approved.

@11bayerf1: I'm assuming you completed the Lanturn and Cacturne sprites before I posted the new, updated master sheet, in which I happen to change Lanturn and Cacturne's palettes. But that's no big deal, lol. Approved. For future reference though, please look at my tutorial about making sure all outlines are smooooth. Having smooth outlines is really what makes sprites still look good when resized.

Anyways, to the people that have contributed and which I have approved (dreamengine, 11bayerf1, karatekid552), I will put your sprites into sheets soon, just give me some time cause you know I'm busy with some Unova legendaries at the moment

*coughMakingBackSpritesForTheKamiTrioIsKillingMecough*
*coughOhYeahTherianFormesDammitcough*
Old July 25th, 2013 (10:30 PM).

@11bayerf1: I'm assuming you completed the Lanturn and Cacturne sprites before I posted the new, updated master sheet, in which I happen to change Lanturn and Cacturne's palettes. But that's no big deal, lol. Approved. For future reference though, please look at my tutorial about making sure all outlines are smooooth. Having smooth outlines is really what makes sprites still look good when resized.
Yeah sorry I hadn't seen the change in palettes.
On which sprites would you say the outlines weren't smooth?
In certain sprites usually backsprites, I tend to copy the style of
the official gamefreak backsprites in which certain sprites aren't entirely
smoothed. I'll take that into account next time with future sprites though!
Old July 26th, 2013 (04:25 AM).
What should I say... I'm back?

Good job on the Musketeers and Keldeo! :D
Btw, I did the sprites of Metagross.
Well, you might see some errors on these sprites, especially the front one.

Old July 26th, 2013 (10:05 AM).

@ Chaos
your sprites are very beautiful but the squirtle's blue is too dark and the head of this creature have too contrast (mostly in the shiny version).
Is different from the Sugimori's artwork.

sorry for my english.
Good work
Old July 26th, 2013 (10:40 AM). Edited July 26th, 2013 by Chaos Rush.
im sexy and i know it

Quote originally posted by 11bayerf1:
Yeah sorry I hadn't seen the change in palettes.
On which sprites would you say the outlines weren't smooth?
In certain sprites usually backsprites, I tend to copy the style of
the official gamefreak backsprites in which certain sprites aren't entirely
smoothed. I'll take that into account next time with future sprites though!
The official Game Freak backsprites are smooth if the Pokemon is supposed to be smooth. I'm just noticing parts in your outlines where its not smooth, but the original sprite was smooth.

Quote originally posted by Rizon:
Good job on the Musketeers and Keldeo! :D
Btw, I did the sprites of Metagross.
Well, you might see some errors on these sprites, especially the front one.

Looking at it without zooming in, I see no errors lol. Approved.

Quote originally posted by sbtb1:
@ Chaos
your sprites are very beautiful but the squirtle's blue is too dark and the head of this creature have too contrast (mostly in the shiny version).
Is different from the Sugimori's artwork.

sorry for my english.
Good work
The blue on Squirtle aren't custom colors, they're from its B/W palette. The only color change I made to Squirtle was that I modified its stomach to be less light-orange and more light-brown, and I gave its eyes a hint or purple just like in the official art.

Also, to everyone that's going to contribute, if you're going to post the front and back sprite as one image, can you at least separate them within the image, so I can see two 64x64 squares instead one big 128x64 rectangle? That would make it a little more easier for me to format into Wichu's editor.

EDIT:
@dreamengine: You resized the Meganium backsprite at 81%. Not to be extremely nitpicky, but the rules are 80%, no exceptions.

EDIT:
@dreamengine
@Rizon
@Spark

Your sprites have been sheet-ified and added to the resource, and your names are in the credits. Thanks a lot for contributing!

@karatekid: Don't worry, I am working on yours, there's just a lot haha. So far I've put up your Grovyle.
Old July 26th, 2013 (01:50 PM).

I tried the Mareep backsprite:

I didn't know whether I should do the front sprite or not since the size is similar as Marrep is small.
I hope there aren't to many mistakes.
Greets,
BnYHD
Old July 26th, 2013 (08:45 PM).
What should I say... I'm back?

I did more. :3 I don't think Beldum's front sprite need to be resized since it's small.

I'm not sure if I did a bad job to Metang.
Old July 26th, 2013 (09:27 PM).
im sexy and i know it

And here is the Kami trio. SneakerTheOtter made the front sprites for the Incarnate formes, though I modified them a bit. The backs were made by me.

Also, I decided I'm not going to do the Therian formes because they are WAYY TOO HARD. Their proportions just won't work for a 64x64 boundary, and they're too detailed.

lol jk

@Rizon: Your Metang and Beldum is approved. And yeah I don't think Beldum's front needed to be resized either.

@BlacknYellowHD: Sorry but the outlines on the wool are wayyy too jaggy. Look at Step 3 on my tutorial for what smooth outlines should look like.

@11bayerf1: I noticed that you changed the shades to some of your backsprites (parituclarly, Houndour, Houndoom, and Skarmory), meaning you're changing how the original sprite was designed, and that will also screw up how the shiny sprites look. So I'm afraid I won't be using any of your sprites until you can guarantee that you won't mix up the shades in your backsprites. Your Houndour, Houndoom, and Skarmory backsprites are lighter than the original (and in my Master Sheet, those three Pokemon in particular have their palette unchanged form the official games)
Old July 26th, 2013 (09:55 PM).

@dreamengine: You resized the Meganium backsprite at 81%. Not to be extremely nitpicky, but the rules are 80%, no exceptions.
With all due respect I just checked it again and it is indeed 80%. I think the problem is that with paint is that the resize varies with how much excess area you highlight. Not sure, but that's my argument. IF you don't want to use it that's completely okay because I'm just trying to help.

I did a few more and I was going to do even more, but this isn't very fun lol. Some of these are actually really hard to do so props to you

I don't think I did a very good job with the front sprite, but I'm posting it just for the sake of doing so.

Sentret's front sprite may look unchanged and that is because the BW sprite and the RSE sprite are very very close in size and I only shrank the sprite by a few percent. Also, the back sprite isn't recolored.
Old July 26th, 2013 (10:13 PM). Edited July 26th, 2013 by MrDollSteak.

@11bayerf1: I noticed that you changed the shades to some of your backsprites (parituclarly, Houndour, Houndoom, and Skarmory), meaning you're changing how the original sprite was designed, and that will also screw up how the shiny sprites look. So I'm afraid I won't be using any of your sprites until you can guarantee that you won't mix up the shades in your backsprites. Your Houndour, Houndoom, and Skarmory backsprites are lighter than the original (and in my Master Sheet, those three Pokemon in particular have their palette unchanged form the official games)
Oh whoops that was just a recolouring error. I must have just been
using the wrong colours. I've fixed those three now and uploaded them to the gallery.
Were there anymore that you noticed?

Sorry for that inconvenience.
Here are the fixed ones for you to check:
Spoiler:

Also I've got a few more that I just made:
Spoiler:

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)