The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Archeops
Pixel artist and hack player

Nature: Adamant
Again, very great work on the sprites, everyone. Project's coming along really nicely.

I like playing all sorts of ROM hacks, my favorites being Pokémon Altair/Sirius, Vega and Procyon/Deneb. If you don't know these hacks or have only heard of them, then I recommend playing Altair/Sirius or Vega! They're truly great games that can keep you occupied for a long time!
Old August 15th, 2013, 06:45 AM
LCCoolJ95
Limited Capacity

Nature: Naive
Wow O.o I never knew that. Now I can't wait until Gen I & II are finished.

Fairy-type in Pokémon Emerald: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...&postcount=288
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Telinc1
Pokémon Trainer

Nature: Quirky
I know this is my first post, but hey. Anyway, seeing as Articuno is one of my favourite Pokémon, I decided to try it. This still is a work in progress and there still are some things I don't like, for example the eye in the back sprite, but the body is one or two pixels short of the R/S sprite and pretty much everything is cleaned up. Making the eye red as in the DS back sprite makes Articuno look tired. These sprites still are a work in progress, but if Chaos Rush likes them, he can add them to the list. I would enjoy feedback on these so I know what to fix and what to keep in mind next time I make a sprite, which will probably be Zapdos.

(also, completely off-topic question, but can we use the available sprites in our own hacks, provided that credit is given?)
Attached Images
File Type: png articuno-front.png‎ (2.0 KB, 344 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png articuno-back.png‎ (1.0 KB, 341 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:18 AM
dreamengine

Wow....the new Kanto pokemon you added are amazing. I don't know if it's just me, but some of them look like your art style used in DarkViolet opposed to just resized sprites. kudos. :D

Also, for your list of accepted and yet to be added, I'm not sure if you decided later on that my Sentret sprites weren't good enough or that you simply missed it because I don't see it on the list. I say this because I'm just trying to remind you in case you missed it

EDIT: i'm not sure if I missed it or what, but Sentret is on the list now lol.

Last edited by dreamengine; August 16th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:39 PM
dicemaze

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telinc1 View Post
(also, completely off-topic question, but can we use the available sprites in our own hacks, provided that credit is given?)
Yes, anyone is allowed to use these sprites in their hacks. If they couldn't, this entire project would be pointless!
(and i know i'm not Chaos, but I'm answering your question anyway cuz this question has been answered countless times already in this thread)
Old August 17th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Dragonflye

Hello Guys! I will also help.

My First Sprite:

I Make also the secound EM Sprite.

Old August 17th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Falsever
Ayano

Nature: Jolly
These are easy to do, except for Suicune.

-Theme-
Ayano Tateyama

-Links-
Showdown!
Hack
Ayano no Koufuku Ririon
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:48 AM
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

I've done Aron's Back and both Aggron sprites to finish that family.

Spoiler:

I'm using Vista's Paint, and I resized the Armaldo from the master sheet to 88%
and it aligns 100% with the one I did before, so I imagine I'll get a similar result
when I tidy it up. I've touched the Armaldo I did before next to the master sheet
Armaldo to get it as close as possible to the original sprite.

Spoiler:

I'm touching up the Cradily sprite, mainly the tentacles which you mentioned
earlier and the smoothness of the head. I'll update this post once it's done.

Spoiler:

Last edited by MrDollSteak; August 17th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old August 17th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Dragonflye

Here 4 Sprites:

Credits to Chaos Rush and Easy.

Old August 17th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Darkest Shade of Light
Pokémon Midnight Sun

Dragonflye, Chaos Rush has specifically said not to make shiny palettes for anything, because that's something he'll take care of himself
Old August 17th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Dragonflye

Where is the problem, I mean I just want to help and even when I'm at it I do everything. I do not do things by halves. : P

Old August 17th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Awkward.
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
dragonflye, it's great that you're eager to help, but Chaos will probably not accept your sprites for these reasons.

1.) He doesn't want the shiny sprites
2.) He doesn't want them in sheet format because he still has to edit the sprites to fix any mistakes and it's easier to edit and then c/p each edited sprite and then change the palette than to edit every single sprite over and over again
3.) He doesn't want the backsprites recolored by anyone but himself because it takes less time to do it himself than it does to correct everyone else's mistakes.

Even if you don't do things in halves, you kind of have to if you want to contribute to this project, because that's how Chaos runs things. And trust me, Chaos is very strict about the rules for this project and enforces them very extensively.

Also, he doesn't want second frames, and why did you do Mamoswine? Gen IV has been finished for over a year - it was literally the first gen finished. Mamoswine was done a long time ago.

Okay, moving on. I really tried on Quagsire, but the spines and the purple marking are not as curvy as I'd like. I have no idea how to fix it because shrunken Quagsire is very vertically challenged and can't contain the right amount of pixels to make it curvy. You're good with this stuff so if you can fix it, that'd be awesome. Everything else about it went smoothly, although I now despise this creature.

Old August 17th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonflye View Post
Hello Guys! I will also help.

My First Sprite:

I Make also the secound EM Sprite.
It's really obvious that you didn't read the Helping Guidelines at all, which is a requirement in order to make a submission. There's a link to the Guidelines in the first post, and also in my signature. Also the Arcanine sprite you're using doesn't match the one from the Master Sheet, another sign that you didn't read the guidelines at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
These are easy to do, except for Suicune.

All of the backsprites are accepted. I'm not accepting the Suicune front sprite not because it looks bad, but because I have a rule of certain "counterpart Pokemon" all having to be resized at the same ratio, so preferably if you do Suicune, you should also do Entei and Raikou's front and make sure they're all resized at the same rate to preserve size relativity. For instance, all my Eeveelutions were resized at 90%. All my Rotom forms were resized at the same ratio (but I don't remember what percentage lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bayerf1 View Post
I've done Aron's Back and both Aggron sprites to finish that family.

Spoiler:

I'm using Vista's Paint, and I resized the Armaldo from the master sheet to 88%
and it aligns 100% with the one I did before, so I imagine I'll get a similar result
when I tidy it up. I've touched the Armaldo I did before next to the master sheet
Armaldo to get it as close as possible to the original sprite.

Spoiler:

I'm touching up the Cradily sprite, mainly the tentacles which you mentioned
earlier and the smoothness of the head. I'll update this post once it's done.

Spoiler:
Aron and Aggron sprites accepted.

However, you didn't fix the smoothness thing I was talking about with Cradily. To me it just looks very blatantly missed:

For me, this is just something very basic, as I hate jaggy outlines. I know it's very easy to fix and I should probably just accept it and fix it myself, but I've been noticing that your sprites in general are improving, so it's just better to let you work on it and improve more lol

Quote:
Here 4 Sprites:

Credits to Chaos Rush and Easy.
Sorry but it's clear that you didn't read the guidelines. Here is the problem:
*I don't want shiny sprites, because I tend to edit people's submissions because no sprite is 100% perfect, so its useless for you to make shiny sprites when I'm going to have to make a new one anyway.
*I just want front and back. I said this very clearly in the guidelines.
*I am not doing 2nd frames.

Also Mamoswine was finished over a year ago...

Quote:
Where is the problem, I mean I just want to help and even when I'm at it I do everything. I do not do things by halves. : P
Doesn't matter, if I follow my own guidelines strictly, so should you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBottomz View Post
Okay, moving on. I really tried on Quagsire, but the spines and the purple marking are not as curvy as I'd like. I have no idea how to fix it because shrunken Quagsire is very vertically challenged and can't contain the right amount of pixels to make it curvy. You're good with this stuff so if you can fix it, that'd be awesome. Everything else about it went smoothly, although I now despise this creature.

Accepted, no worries. EDIT: Also, forgot to mention, your Wooper backsprite is accepted too.

If you guys don't mind, please give me some time to convert your submissions into sheets. All of your submissions are wonderful, and has definitely helped pick up the pace of this project. I know this sounds a bit selfish, but I would like to progress on my ROM hack a little more, hence why I've been doing a lot of Kanto sprites on my own. I will eventually get to sheet-ifying your guys' submissions, just give me some time

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS

Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete

Last edited by Chaos Rush; August 17th, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:42 PM
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
However, you didn't fix the smoothness thing I was talking about with Cradily. To me it just looks very blatantly missed:

For me, this is just something very basic, as I hate jaggy outlines. I know it's very easy to fix and I should probably just accept it and fix it myself, but I've been noticing that your sprites in general are improving, so it's just better to let you work on it and improve more lol
Yeah I'm not sure why that happened. That was literally the first thing I went to fix on the sprite. I must have fixed it on the old sprite and then overwrote it?

Anyway I'm just updating that now.

Spoiler:
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Falsever
Ayano

Nature: Jolly
I've done these minutes ago. :3

Also, I'll try to redo Suicune and do its counterparts, resize them into the same ratio.

-Theme-
Ayano Tateyama

-Links-
Showdown!
Hack
Ayano no Koufuku Ririon
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Archeops
Pixel artist and hack player

Hey, Chaos, could you please credit me for the new Archeops backsprite? Thanks in advance!

I like playing all sorts of ROM hacks, my favorites being Pokémon Altair/Sirius, Vega and Procyon/Deneb. If you don't know these hacks or have only heard of them, then I recommend playing Altair/Sirius or Vega! They're truly great games that can keep you occupied for a long time!
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:29 AM
Dragonflye

I hope thats ok...

PS: Sorry that I did not really have before observed the rules.

What I'm wondering is, why do not you do the 2nd Frame? Ok, there are indeed many sprites, but I think if the Forum tackles gehts faster, because not all hack fire red or ruby.

It's just my opinion. ^ ^

Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:17 AM
LCCoolJ95
Limited Capacity

Nature: Naive
Quote:
What I'm wondering is, why do not you do the 2nd Frame?
Let's think about it. There are about...700 sprites being done, with inclusion of the back sprites would be a good...1400 sprites. My number may be off by a lot, but this is just an estimation. That would require making another 1400 sprites, making it an estimation of 2800 sprites being made. That's without the shiny sprites.

Fairy-type in Pokémon Emerald: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...&postcount=288
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:34 AM
Dragonflye

Animated Backsprites in Emerald are not necessary, but only one animated front sprite. That would be about 649 more sprites, clear + the shiny colors, but I think this is less difficult than the resezing.

It is just my opinion and my suggestion is to have no one here that. ^ ^
I just think it would make the project completely and would also nice for the Emerald hackers among us. ^ ^

Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:52 PM
Awkward.
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
The reason we don't do the second frames is because no one wants to. People mostly hack Ruby and Firered anyway, so there's honestly no point whatsoever. It's just a bunch of work that's too much trouble for everyone. Chaos has already said numerous times that he's not doing them anymore lol. If you want them so bad, you'll have to make them yourself.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:52 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

I've redone some Gen V backsprites to be more model-accurate:

Also, a user by the name of "Archeops" made a new Archeops backsprite for me:

So credit to Archeops for the new Archeops backsprite (lol).

And here's more Kanto Pokemon I've done simply by working on Pokemon DarkViolet:

Also I've added these contributions:
Scizor -11bayerf, Rizon
Magby - dreamengine
Wynaut - Rizon
Cradily - 11bayerf1
Armaldo - 11bayerf1
Aron - 11bayerf1
Lairon - 11bayerf1
Aggron - 11bayerf1
Glalie - 11bayerf1
Regirock - 11bayerf1
Regice - 11bayerf1
Registeel - 11bayerf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I've done these minutes ago. :3

Also, I'll try to redo Suicune and do its counterparts, resize them into the same ratio.
Okay, Solrock and Lunatone are accepted.

Quote:
I hope thats ok...

PS: Sorry that I did not really have before observed the rules.

What I'm wondering is, why do not you do the 2nd Frame? Ok, there are indeed many sprites, but I think if the Forum tackles gehts faster, because not all hack fire red or ruby.

Sorry but there's too many tiny little errors where certain details from the original sprite appear to be lost.

Quote:
Animated Backsprites in Emerald are not necessary, but only one animated front sprite. That would be about 649 more sprites, clear + the shiny colors, but I think this is less difficult than the resezing.

It is just my opinion and my suggestion is to have no one here that. ^ ^
I just think it would make the project completely and would also nice for the Emerald hackers among us. ^ ^
If you want 2nd frames then go do them yourself. I'm not obligated to make any sprites for anyone.

Also, to all contributors, please read: From now on, do not recolor the HG/SS backsprite. Leave it in its HG/SS colors. Just let me do the recoloring. Also, please don't try and "improve" the sprite by changing the shading, adding things that weren't there originally, etc. All I want is an 80%, cleaned up version of the original backsprite. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete

Last edited by Chaos Rush; August 23rd, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old August 24th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Dragonflye

So I have to try clean up the errors. I hope thats so correkt.

Old August 24th, 2013, 04:39 AM
adipasa
Amateur Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
you're sprite look good

...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
BROFIST ...............\
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
That's better, I'll accept. For future reference, don't recolor the HG/SS backsprite, just leave it in its HG/SS colors, since many people tend to recolor it wrong/incomplete/forget to check black levels.

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Dragonflye

All right, but when I read it, it was already too late, in the future, I respect it.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links