Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 2nd, 2012 (07:16 PM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
I second that. They reveal movies way too soon and just make people gag for them more than a year before they ever get released. I've been waiting for The Avengers for AGES now and it's only just coming out.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old April 3rd, 2012 (07:37 AM).
Esper

My friend keeps bugging everyone to see The Avengers with her and pushing us to see all the superhero movies that build up to it. I really don't want to see the Hulk movie and have to listen to Edward Norton's irritating voice though. :(

deviantart blog pair
Old April 3rd, 2012 (08:44 AM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

There was a Hulk movie recently? I thought they just chucked that guy in with the rest of the ones that actually did have movies.

Old April 3rd, 2012 (08:52 AM).
Esper

Apparently they did make one. I don't know why they did because the Hulk is a lame superhero just like Spiderman and Captain America and everything from DC except Batman.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 3rd, 2012 (02:33 PM).
digi-kun
Hourai NEET

And with that, we're back open to seasonal discussion.

Partner in crime and fellow singbot: the devilicious iruchii
Old April 3rd, 2012 (05:05 PM).
Arcanine
There is no "-tina"

Nature: Rash
I don't really have much on my To Watch list for Spring. Truth be told, it's around 4-7 shows. I mean sure I think I'll pick up a few along the way, but for right now all I have on my list is...
~ Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? OF THE DEAD
I loved the first season. I like zombie shows/games so I thought I'd give Kore wa Zombie Desu ka a shot, I didn't think it'd turn out to be one of my favs for the year. So season 2 is a must for me.

~ Medaka Box
This one is on my "Maybe" list. I'll give the first ep a try and see how it goes.

~ Sankarea
David said it's not going to be dark like Another. But if it does start going that way I'll be dropping it in no time. XD

~ Accel World
As far as new shows go this one really caught my eye. I don't know if it was due to the Boku wa Tomodachi/Denpa character styles, or the fact the main is not your ideal "hero"... in fact I was like "WTF?" at first.XD
I can't wait to see what this one is all about.

~ Fate/Zero
I think it's going to be better then the first season, and the first season was so damn good. Between some of the trailers, what happened in the last season, the OP, and the fact it's going to be awesome... I can't wait.

There's a few others... but we'll see how they go.

TwitterMy Anime ListBackloggeryRaptrBrother
My PM box is full so if you really have to PM me send it here.
Old April 4th, 2012 (08:05 AM).
Esper

Quote originally posted by -Lapras-:
Shinichiro Watanabe + Yoko Kanno
I am jazzed at this team-up as I'm generally jazzed at anything that has Kanno's name attached to it, but these two have made good stuff together so I'm expecting something amazing.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 4th, 2012 (03:02 PM).
Harley Quinn
Community Supporter

I still can't get over how Andrew Garfield is playing Spiderman in the next film, ugh. If there's any reason for me to not watch that film, it's him. I was never that fond of the Spiderman films anyway (Tobey Maguire...no....) but I just can't stand Andrew Garfield.
Old April 5th, 2012 (08:01 AM).
Esper

Quote originally posted by Harlequin:
I still can't get over how Andrew Garfield is playing Spiderman in the next film, ugh. If there's any reason for me to not watch that film, it's him. I was never that fond of the Spiderman films anyway (Tobey Maguire...no....) but I just can't stand Andrew Garfield.
I don't know who that is, but a quick google search gives me the impression that he's very smarmy and that I would be left with this gross and sad feeling if I bumped into him on the street.

Good job, people-who-make-Spiderman-movies. You're going to make me dislike this twice as much now.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 5th, 2012 (10:44 AM).
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Eh, my To-Watch list is rather bare this season... right now it's just Natsuiro Kiseki and Saki: Achiga-hen. And continuing Smile PreCure, of course.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old April 5th, 2012 (11:38 AM). Edited April 5th, 2012 by Ryoutarou.
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Scarf:
Apparently they did make one. I don't know why they did because the Hulk is a lame superhero just like Spiderman and Captain America and everything from DC except Batman.
Bwa. Batman is incredibly overrated, the fact that there are like eight different Batman related comics running right now boggles my mind. Green Lantern and Aquaman are pretty kickass superheroes, especially now that the latter has Geoff Johns working on the current series.

Of course this is just regarding the comics, I don't even like DC's superhero movies. (nor do I really like superhero moves in general beyond Iron Man and Captain America, which is actually a pretty amazing work)

I dunno, it kinda always bugs me when people just discount everything DC has to offer that isn't Batman as lame because to me it seems like a lot of people don't really know how wide of an array of character the company has. (movie studios included, which is why we'll probably never see a Justice League movie or a New Guardians movie or a Hawk and Dove movie or...)
Old April 5th, 2012 (01:29 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I think the guy playing the Hulk in The Avengers is different from either of the main actors in the previous attempts at a Hulk movie. Not sure if that means the character itself is different too. Are they pretended the last Hulk movie didn't happen? ...again.

And Batman is awesome. I'm only just now getting into the comics. But, my other experiences with the franchise (The Animated Series from the '90s, Burton's first movie, Nolan's films, the Arkham games) have all been great.

I'm not interested in the new Spider-Man movie. I liked Spider-Man 1 & 2 in the old franchise (moreso the second one. The first was fun, but very Power Rangers-ey) but I'm not really a fan of the franchise otherwise. I liked Iron-Man 1. But like Spider-Man, not familiar with the character otherwise.
Old April 5th, 2012 (04:29 PM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Quote originally posted by Scarf:
Captain America is from Marvel... that's why he's in The Avengers... right?

Really? Andrew Garfield seems like an odd person to have formed a disliking for, simply because he isn't really all that well-known yet. He was in The Social Network but that was pretty much it.

Anyway I saw an interview with him on Ellen the other day and he was actually quite cute and charming, I don't know what caused you not to be able to stand him lol

Old April 5th, 2012 (06:54 PM).
Esper

Quote originally posted by Ryoutarou:
Bwa. Batman is incredibly overrated, the fact that there are like eight different Batman related comics running right now boggles my mind. Green Lantern and Aquaman are pretty kickass superheroes, especially now that the latter has Geoff Johns working on the current series.

Of course this is just regarding the comics, I don't even like DC's superhero movies. (nor do I really like superhero moves in general beyond Iron Man and Captain America, which is actually a pretty amazing work)

I dunno, it kinda always bugs me when people just discount everything DC has to offer that isn't Batman as lame because to me it seems like a lot of people don't really know how wide of an array of character the company has. (movie studios included, which is why we'll probably never see a Justice League movie or a New Guardians movie or a Hawk and Dove movie or...)
I guess I shouldn't have spoken for the whole of the characters since I can't speak to the comics, just the movies. I was just thinking of the movies: Catwoman, Superman, Watchmen (which is one I do like in comic form, but in my mind it's kind of a stand-out superhero comic and not part of the superhero "universes" or whatnot), Green Lantern, and the recent Batman movies which are the better movies on the whole.

But I still think that a lot of the superheroes are kinda lame sounding from what I know of them.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 6th, 2012 (11:38 PM).
Weeaboo Name
KNIFE EDGE DEATH MATCH
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
So it's official.

I'm platinum excited.

#bigannoyingsigs4lyf | mal |
Old April 7th, 2012 (08:02 AM).
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter

Ozuma
Because Leiji Matsumoto has some pretty amazing ideas and even though his art style is definitely an acquired taste, it's something that can easily be looked pass for the pay off of the sort of things he writes about.

Saint Seiya Omega
Mostly watching this because I've been watching the original Saint Seiya lately and I've really loved the show. Umakoshi's animation style doesn't hurt either, though I don't think it's going to hold up amazingly well in a year-long series, it's still worth a shot.

Space Brothers
I've read some of the manga and I really enjoyed the characters and the relationship going on between the two brothers in the lead roles. This is one of those things that puts its main theme in a secondary position in favor of character development.

Zetman
I like superheroes. A lot.

Accel World
Seems like it's going to be a very fun series to watch, definitely has a unique premise.

To the Galactic Kickoff!
A good sports anime is always nice.

Kids on the Slope
Because Watanabe can seriously do no wrong.

Jormungand
Something about this strikes me as interesting, even though I know nothing about it other than that the Steins;Gate people are going to be doing this adaptation.

Eureka Seven AO
Because I really enjoy sequels.
Old April 7th, 2012 (08:05 AM).
Weeaboo Name
KNIFE EDGE DEATH MATCH
Community Supporter

Forgot about Jormungand, read the first volume the other day and it was enjoyable. Always nice to see a new shoot em up series animated.

Old April 9th, 2012 (08:47 PM).
digi-kun
Hourai NEET

Haiyore Nyaruko....all those references, definitely better than the last one :3

Partner in crime and fellow singbot: the devilicious iruchii
Old April 9th, 2012 (10:03 PM).
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

My to-watch lists consist of Medaka Box and Mysterious Girlfriend X for this season. Whether I'll actually remember to watch them is another story. I'm interested in both because I'm fairly certain they're both right up my alley.
Old April 9th, 2012 (11:47 PM). Edited April 9th, 2012 by jpp8.
jpp8
Producer

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by digi-kun:
Haiyore Nyaruko....all those references, definitely better than the last one :3
I've never read anything related to lovecraft, but just having all the usual anime. Good comedy. Looking forward to each new episode now.

Also, while I'm talking about 1st eps.

I can definitely see Accel World being a double-sided success because of the whole protagonist projection "who needs reality" thing on one side. On the other, it'll probably be criticized for just that: having a protagonist who only indulges in escapism.

Acchi Kocchi definitely already looks wonderful with its colorful art, style, and surprisingly detailed animations. It came out of nowhere too; there was like no hype or discussion about this prior afaik. The LET'S GO JUSTIN bit at the arcade was a nice nod to fighting game fans instead of the usual button mashing fighter rip-offs. Aside from the pretty visuals, this show had some shaky pacing. It felt like a middle episode rather than a first. Still, it's very pretty to look at.

Natsuiro Kiseki was meh. I was hoping for a slice of life anime to be a little more slice of life-ish, but :drama. Not even character intros, just general impressions. Not off to a good start, but I like the art and design, so here's to hoping it grows on me after a few episodes.

Achiga Hen of Saki definitely toned down the girl's love a bit in its first ep, but Saki is still just plain fun to watch anyway. The main attraction is still that they're all secretly lesbians. There better be intense girl's love (with mahjong) in the upcoming episodes.

Sankarea was alright. I read the manga prior and it was alright, if not downright ridiculous at times. Hopefully seeing it animated with bgm and whatnot can create a better mood.

What's left besides Fate/Zero this season?
I guess Hyouka because Super Kyoto Animation 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting Championship Arade Edition HD 2012 Anniversary Edition DLC patch gems IT'S AUTOMATICALLY GOOD BECAUSE IT'S KYOANI GUYS. [size=one bajillion]KyoAni is God[/size]
Also, AKB48, because I love aidorus. :I
Old April 10th, 2012 (12:24 AM). Edited April 10th, 2012 by Weeaboo Name.
Weeaboo Name
KNIFE EDGE DEATH MATCH
Community Supporter

Guess I'll do the same thing as there isn't a whole lot of overlap in what we've started.

Watching/Holding till complete
---
Accel World - Better than expected but not great. I read 10 chapters to see if I should bother with the cartoon and decided to stick with it. Can't say I like any of the characters but it's somewhat pretty and if the fights are animated well it could be ok.

Kimi to Boku. 2 - Cute boys doing cute things. Obviously no Nichibros but it's enjoyable.

Kuroko no Basket - Shounen Jump basketball series, was expecting to drop it after 1 ep but it was really quite awesome. Music was good, characters were interesting (especially blue) and it had Chiwa Saito on the voice cast.

Medaka Box - I guess Gainax were a decent choice for this one, was a decent adaptation of the first chapter. Will take a while to get used to Medaka's voice but the rest were spot on for me.

Nazo no Kanojo X - THAT 90's STYLING. Unique lead female, perfect voices for the characters, good choices for music. How does it feel that the best anime so far is coming from a borderline hentai studio.

Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden - Chibi art is cute and slapstick comedy is slapstick I guess. Laughed a few times so I'll be sticking with it.

Sankarea - Not sure what I thought of this really. It's quite pretty though so I'll give it a few more weeks to prove itself at least.

Shirokuma Cafe - It's an anime about a panda, a polar bear and a penguin chilling in a cafe. Need I say more?

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - Pretty amusing, well done first episode. Pretty character design and the lead was good.

Dropped
----
Acchi Kocchi - Wasn't worth the download, couldn't even sit through the whole episode.

Sengoku Collection - Watched it because the promo art looked nice. Actual show looked like it was drawn by a drunk 6 year old.
----

I'm quite happy with the first round of shows so far, bring on Kids on the Slope.

Old April 10th, 2012 (01:45 PM).
Harley Quinn
Community Supporter

Speaking of Catwoman, I really hope that Anne Hathaway doesn't ruin the part of Catwoman in the new Batman movie. It's bad enough what Halle Berry did to poor ol' Selina in her film.
Old April 10th, 2012 (02:13 PM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Speaking of Catwoman, I really hope that Anne Hathaway doesn't ruin the part of Catwoman in the new Batman movie. It's bad enough what Halle Berry did to poor ol' Selina in her film.
I don't think her portrayal will change much anyway, Catwoman completely goes against the trend set in the last two films and is, in my opinion, an awful villain.

I seriously hope the series isn't ruined because the last two films were amazing.
Old April 10th, 2012 (03:44 PM). Edited April 10th, 2012 by TRIFORCE89.
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Nuke:
I don't think her portrayal will change much anyway, Catwoman completely goes against the trend set in the last two films and is, in my opinion, an awful villain.

I seriously hope the series isn't ruined because the last two films were amazing.
Well, she doesn't have to be a villain. She's kind of ambiguous; neither good or evil. She's a bit of an antihero-type foil to Batman.

I think that grey area would be interesting for Nolan to examine.

But, yeah, I am a bit concerned. I hope the movie doesn't suffer from threequelitus. I don't like the title. "The Dark Knight Rises". TDK was great and popular, but I don't think this movie should tie itself to it so strongly. It'd be like if Return of the Jedi was called "The Empire Strikes Back Some More". Bane was also difficult to understand in the footage we've seen so far, so I hope they address that. The eight year gap between this movie and the story of the last one just seems strange to me.

Also, if you think Catwoman goes against the trend of the last two movies... if they do bring Ra's back, that would just be the kicker. The Lazarus pit does not fit in Nolan's world.

But, at the same time, its Nolan. I love his movies. I don't think he'll screw it up.

What worries me most about Catwoman is Hathaway. Nolan doesn't seem good at casting female characters. Katie Holmes as Rachael in the first movie was boring, but... appropriate I guess. And Maggie Gyllenhaal was not appropriate for that character at all in the second movie. Way to peppy. I hope Hathaway doesn't make Selina peppy.
Old April 10th, 2012 (03:53 PM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by TRIFORCE89:

Well, she doesn't have to be a villain. She's kind of ambiguous; neither good or evil. She's a bit of an antihero-type foil to Batman.

I think that grey area would be interesting for Nolan to examine.

But, yeah, I am a bit concerned. I hope the movie doesn't suffer from threequelitus. I don't like the title. "The Dark Knight Rises". TDK was great and popular, but I don't think this movie should tie itself to it so strongly. It'd be like if Return of the Jedi was called "The Empire Strikes Back Some More". Bane was also difficult to understand in the footage we've seen so far, so I hope they address that. The eight year gap between this movie and the story of the last one just seems strange to me.

Also, if you think Catwoman goes against the trend of the last two movies... if they do bring Ra's back, that would just be the kicker. The Lazarus pit does not fit in Nolan's world.

But, at the same time, its Nolan. I love his movies. I don't think he'll screw it up.
Well I suppose she isn't an out and out villain but for the purpose of the film she probably will be.

I think they built upon something with Scarecrow and, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think he was killed off.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links