The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:53 AM
digi-kun
Hourai NEET

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lapras- View Post
Regarding that, they should all be creative like Fate Stay Night.
Spoiler:
Well, Fate/Stay Night is a bit of a different story since it wasn't originally made to be a visual novel, or at least the concept. The Archer/Emiya combo was pretty change-in, though.

Partner in crime and fellow singbot: the devilicious iruchii
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Can't believe I let this thread languish for so long!

Re: Jenna Rose - there was honestly a time where I had all of the words to 'My Jeans' memorised. I'm not going to say it was the proudest moment of my life, but I'm not going to deny it, either!

Re: Penny Coats - couldn't even listen to it all the way through. But at least Black/Rose et al at least have the decency to come from rich parents who can buy the services of companies dedicated to giving 12-year-olds their dream fantasy of being a pop star for 3 minutes. All Coats does is a bad cover of a Bieb song.
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

Nature: Sassy
Title change!
I still know the lyrics to Friday, even though it wasn't as much as me wanting to learn them as much as forcibly learning them through the internet/radio :(
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:09 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

OK, so a cinema near me is having an anime season in June, and I was wondering if I should check out any of the films listed below, as none of them ring any bells:
  • Oblivion Island (Hottarake no shima - Haruka to maho no kagami)
  • Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below (Hoshi o ou Kodomo)
  • Gintama - The Movie (Gekijouban Gintama: Shin'yaku benizakura hen)
  • A Letter to Momo (Momo e no Togami)
  • The Princess and the Pilot (To Aru Hikushi e no Tsuioki)
I'll definitely be seeing From Up on Poppy Hill because despite the fact that it's Goro, it's still a new Ghibli. I might end up seeing Fullmetal Alchemist 2 - The Sacred Star of Milos, but do I need to see the first film to get it? (Seen the original series, but that's about it.)

So, thoughts?
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:23 AM
-Lapras-
ha ha, charade you are

Nature: Gentle
Can only comment on one of those. The Gintama film was pretty well done, music and animation wise but if you don't have the background knowledge on the characters it's probably not worth watching. Of course if you feel like marathoning through 58 episodes/89 chapters before it airs that's a different story.

MALDLTMS0FITBAWBADTASTE
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:39 AM
Esper

So I have Netflix and have been watching some old episodes of Mythbusters on it and to my shock and horror have discovered that they do not carry the episodes in order and omit a lot of episodes entirely. I would be okay with this, but they list what episodes they do have as though they are complete and in the proper order. Not cool, Netflix. Not cool.

deviantart blog pair
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:15 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

I'm kinda disappointed in Netflix... at least their streaming-output. Through surreptitious means, I have access to US Netflix, and their films that they have for streaming are kinda piddly; especially in comparison to what I was expecting e.g. UNLIMITED AMAZING MOVIES FOREVER AND EVER! Their Hitchcock Collection, for example, is really crappy. No Vertigos or Psychos or Rear Windows; just later-period crap. The TV section, however, is really good, from my experience, but its streaming film collection could be a lot, lot better. Still, I'm gonna watch Ran and Kagemusha at some point this week, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:51 AM
Vader
League Champion

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Vader
If Netflix didn't have my favorite paranormal/investigative shows I would have cancelled it a longgg time ago.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:32 AM
Catholic Nun
Back in the habit.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Catholic Nun
You definitely shouldn't complain if you've obtained it through surreptitious means

Moderator of Chit Chat Cafe
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
Esper

Well I have legit netflix and I give Cat permission to gripe.

In other new, I'm seeing The Avengers on Friday and since I haven't had time to sew an Avengers theme dress I'm gonna go with themed nail polish. That's how I roll.

deviantart blog pair
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:20 AM
Link
Rupee Moderator

Netflix is expecting some big changes soon, allegedly. They've been allowing people to throw suggestions at them for what to air. Though I am a little disappointed to. At first there seems to be loads, after about a week or two you begin to realize most of it is regurgitated garbage.

Avengers seems to be the only movie out now that I'd consider seeing. And maybe 21 Jump Street. Though comedies always feel like more of a "sit at home on the couch with some munchies and friends and kick back" kind of deal, rather than going to the cinema and paying out the ears.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Esper

For sure, paying to see a movie in theatres is so expensive you have to pick carefully what you're willing to see. I feel like I'm already paying way too much at $9.75.

deviantart blog pair
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I feel like I'm already paying way too much at $9.75.
OMG THAT'S SO CHEAP!

The last film I saw was The Cabin in the Woods and that cost £8 (about $13), which is about average for London. 3D stuff obvs costs more, which is why when I eventually see The Avengers, it'll be in nice non-colour-sucking 2D.

Gav: Although I can easily imagine it playing brilliantly in a "sit at home on the couch with some munchies and friends and kick back" atmosphere, I'd still recommend seeing 21 Jump Street in a cinema. It is very funny, and seeing it with as large an audience as possible really does enhance the film, in my opinion.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Link
Rupee Moderator

I'll give it a watch then, I'll consider popping along to the cinema for it. But yeah, if you pay to see a movie, it's about 10 euro, which is much the same as London Jon. But then if you want to buy food, it's even more expensive. Pixxie Lott tweeted the other day about how she paid more money on food in the cinema than the ticket. Which is crazy.

NB: I don't actually use Twitter.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Netflix is... okay in Canada. There are hardly any movies but the TV show listings are pretty good. Good enough that I haven't gotten tired of them, anyway. My roommate's dad paid for our account but he's in the US right now so the payments stopped last week and I already feel like I'm going through withdrawal since we don't have TV otherwise. XD; So it can't be all that bad.

Our theatre prices are about the same, too. Although I think it's $11 for a normal film and $13 for 3D. ($16 for IMAX?) I might be wrong by $2 on all of them. I don't know. I don't see movies enough and when I do go see one, it's always one that I feel is worth whatever price I have to pay. u_u;;

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:41 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
For sure, paying to see a movie in theatres is so expensive you have to pick carefully what you're willing to see. I feel like I'm already paying way too much at $9.75.
Damn I'd like movies to be at that price. I think it's like $12 here. $15 for 3D. $18 for IMAX (damn them!).

Then concession prices on top of that.

And I think lots of people try to pick a screening time such that they go out for dinner afterward and make a day/night of it. Expensive.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Esper

Wow. Everyone is paying though the nose. I'm really surprised even though now I'm remembering I'd heard from a friend who was living in Vancouver that ticket prices were more expensive than the ones we were used to here.

deviantart blog pair
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post
And I think lots of people try to pick a screening time such that they go out for dinner afterward and make a day/night of it. Expensive.
Well, yeah, I usually do too. Most theatres here in Waterloo don't actually have many playtimes (I think the best theatre only has 10 screens?) so there's no other choice but night shows but even despite that... unless I'm seeing the movie with my mom, I usually go to shows at a later time so I can do something else while I'm out. You probably don't relate, but I usually go "welp, I'm spending all this money ANYWAY, might as well feed myself too". XD;
Quote:
Wow. Everyone is paying though the nose. I'm really surprised even though now I'm remembering I'd heard from a friend who was living in Vancouver that ticket prices were more expensive than the ones we were used to here.
We also pay 13% taxes on most things here, so that's part of the price. :/ But yeah, it still sucks. XD;

tumblrtwitter

Old May 4th, 2012, 09:03 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Well, yeah, I usually do too. Most theatres here in Waterloo don't actually have many playtimes (I think the best theatre only has 10 screens?) so there's no other choice but night shows but even despite that... unless I'm seeing the movie with my mom, I usually go to shows at a later time so I can do something else while I'm out. You probably don't relate, but I usually go "welp, I'm spending all this money ANYWAY, might as well feed myself too". XD;

We also pay 13% taxes on most things here, so that's part of the price. :/ But yeah, it still sucks. XD;
Why wouldn't I relate? I eat. I like eating. I eat lots XD I try to make a day or night of it too and go out to eat before or after the show. Maybe the "welp". I don't "welp"

And the tax would be on top of the prices I quoted x_x
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

Nature: Sassy
Thank god Netflix isn't available here in NZ (or, thank god I don't have the desire to get Netflix through suspicious channels), I imagine it would cause me far more stress than it's worth. Besides, the only show I bother to watch regularly nowadays is Desperate Housewives and even that will end soon, considering it's in it's final season.

Ugh, I have to pay about $12 dollars if I want to go see a normal 2D movie, and I never go to see 3D movies unless I have a discount or something, lol. Coupons forever!
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Catholic Nun
Back in the habit.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Catholic Nun
The Avengers was so damn good I don't even. I saw it once in 3D and once in 2D and honestly I don't really think it added or detracted from anything either way. When I saw it in 2D they told us it was 3D and even gave us 3D glasses, but then it just... wasn't lmao. But the funniest thing is (and this shows just how much 3D means to everybody) nobody cared enough to get up and tell a staff member that they forgot to turn the 3D on.

Also Jon! HOW WAS CABIN IN THE WOODS I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT TO COME TO AUSTRALIA AND I DON'T THINK IT'S GOING TO.

Moderator of Chit Chat Cafe
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
Also Jon! HOW WAS CABIN IN THE WOODS I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT TO COME TO AUSTRALIA AND I DON'T THINK IT'S GOING TO.
I liked it, but I imagine you'll like it a lot more than me when it eventually arrives in Australia. (Indeed, IMDb is coming up empty for an Aussie release.) It's very Whedon-y - especially the end - so you'll probably love it.
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Esper

Forget Cabin in the Woods. The Avengers is the superior Whedon film. It was totally worth the $9.75 I spent and the two hours I waited in the line that wasn't even a line when I got there because I got the time wrong and came way too early.

deviantart blog pair
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

You waited two hours in line!? Wowzers. I don't think I've ever waited in a line for the cinema that lasted longer than 15 minutes.
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

I waited in line for an hour and a half for Hunger Games and at least one or two for some of the Harry Potter movies. I'll go pretty early if I want to guarantee good seats. (Going an hour and a half early to THG didn't even snag my mom and I good seats. ;_;)

Usually I'll just show up about 15 minutes early. I rarely see movies so early in their theatre career so seats aren't typically a problem so long as I'm not late.

tumblrtwitter

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links