The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Sodom
The Bible just got a whole lot sexier.

Nature: Adamant

Advertise here
Alright so I saw Spider Man last night and I loved it. Emma Stone was beautiful and flawless as usual, and I think I've gone from "I respect Andrew Garfield as an actor" to "OMG ANDREW GARFIELD HE'S ON THE SCREEN HE'S SO GEEKY AND ADORABLE I WANT HIM TO BE MINE!" So there's that.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old July 11th, 2012, 02:45 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Col. Fantastic View Post
Am I the only person who actually like the trilogy....?m
If you're including the third one in there, then... yes. Probably. On the entire planet.

I like the first two though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
Alright so I saw Spider Man last night and I loved it. Emma Stone was beautiful and flawless as usual, and I think I've gone from "I respect Andrew Garfield as an actor" to "OMG ANDREW GARFIELD HE'S ON THE SCREEN HE'S SO GEEKY AND ADORABLE I WANT HIM TO BE MINE!" So there's that.
Yup, she was good.
Old July 11th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Esper

On a different note, I watched Midnight In Paris last night. It would have been a good movie if all the Woody Allen bits were taken out. I can't stand that rambling, directionless dialogue. Nice concept, interesting characters, looked pretty, soundtrack could have used a little more variety, but wasn't bad either. I want to like it, but I just can't make myself.

deviantart blog pair
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:40 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
I wanted to see Midnight in Paris. Didn't get around to it though. I like Allen's writing. Wanted to see his new Rome flick too, but apparently it is a dud
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Lt. Col. Fantastic
The Arianator

Nature: Sassy
Well, I really only like the first one, its more comic booky. The other two are alright. The only thing I didnt like was Toby being a derp. And emo in the third one. That was dumb.

But I have to admit the new one is the best. Garfield is great as Peter Parker...Maguire wasn't. I didn't like the Lizard as the bag guy, I wanted Mysterio or Thousand...thousand would have been cool, but he eats people and wears their skin, which would have been too gross I guess. And of course, scorpion would be awesome too, and even kraven, swarm, chameleon, morbius, and electro would be cool. But the lizard was okay, I guess. I wish the "army" he built up did more stuff.

Mr. Aladdin sir! Have a wish or two or three!
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Sodom

Well the lizard is done now so they can move onto other villains for the next one! And judging by that scene in the middle of the credits, there will be a sequel.

As for Midnight in Paris, I would have seen it except I can't handle Owen Wilson.

Old July 12th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

No one can truly handle Owen Wilson, Andy.

I thought I would hate the movie because, well, it has Owen Wilson in a starring role, but surprisingly I liked it. He's little more than a Woody Allen surrogate, but nevertheless, I thought he did well. He brings his typical Wilson-ness to the role, but he tones it down a bit, which I liked. The main problem I have with the film is that none of the other characters really stood out to me. You have Kathy Bates as Gertrude Stein and well, she's just... average. Like, her role was never very expansive in the first place but... her typical finesse just wasn't there.
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
OK, so I really didn't like Midnight in Paris. Like, at all. And I'm a fan of Woody Allen in general. (Most modern stuff, not so much, but his earlier films are often really, really good.) To me, all of the stuff in Midnightland - or whatever you want to call it - was well acted and cast but had no element of drama to it. Simply pointing at a famous person and going "Wow, you're F Scott Fitzgerald" =/= good plotting. It's just wish-fulfilment dragged out in service of a non-existent story. Having said that there was at least good acting in that part (especially from Alison Pill and Corey Stoll as Zelda Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway respectively). In the present day, I just wanted to kill everyone on screen with a baseball bat. Owen Wilson was fine, I guess, but Michael Sheen and Rachel McAdams were just horrible - in both characterization and acting. And the worse thing there was that there was actually a plot! As putrid and contrived as it was, there was actually some semblance of narrative thrust... but in pursuit of a horrible endeavour that left a really bad taste in my mouth. So, yeah. I didn't like Midnight in Paris. Not one bit.

What I did like was Magic Mike (aka Channing Tatum's stripper movie), which I saw yesterday! The atmosphere was weird though. In the cinema, it was made up of 90% 40-year-old women, 9% 20-year-old gay men and 1% me. It was certainly a new atmosphere for the cinema, at least for me.
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

I've heard so much about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like, within the past week or so, people I know have been talking nonstop about, to use the tone a couple of girls used, Chaaaaaaaaning Taaaaaaatum and Maaaaaaaaaagic Mike. I suppose they were still starstruck by Taaaaaaaatum when I talked to them.
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
90% 40-year-old women, 9% 20-year-old gay men and 1% me.
Cat Dog, you one-percenter, you. I might see Magic Mike when it's available on video/streaming. You know, just 'cause. It doesn't sound like the kind of atmosphere I want to be in though. I imagine it'd be like watching Twilight in a theatre that's 90% 14-year old girls, 9% college students, and 1% me.

Also, side note. Channing Tatum makes mind go right to Stockard Channing whose name I always thought was "Stalker."

deviantart blog pair
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Lt. Col. Fantastic
The Arianator

Man, nobody cares about Matt Bomer in Magic Mike!

I mean, I know its! Chaaaaaning Taaaaatummmm but still...bomer boner....

?...did I really just make that joke?

Mr. Aladdin sir! Have a wish or two or three!
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Has anyone heard Tina Fey's verse on the new mixtape by Childish Gambino, better known as Donald Glover from Community?
Spoiler:

Skip to 4:57!

God, I love Tina so much.
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Sodom

I think Alex Pettyfer would be the real draw for Magic Mike. Channing Tatum is not that hot, simply because he has what I call "doucheface"

Old July 15th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:
I think Alex Pettyfer would be the real draw for Magic Mike. Channing Tatum is not that hot, simply because he has what I call "doucheface"
Oh gooooooooooooooooddddddd, Alex Pettyfer. Did anyone see him in Stormbreaker, that Alex Rider series adaption, what must have been five or six years ago? Soooooo hot then.
Old July 15th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Sodom

I think he's the hottest Hollywood guy around right now. There's just not one thing about him that isn't attractive.

But no I didn't see him in Stormbreaker but how could you say such things Harlequin, he was only 16 at the time! A precious child, you nasty pedo!

Old July 16th, 2012, 02:16 PM
CarefulWetPaint
Time to Say Goodbye
Community Supporter

Het if you don't mind harem or ecchi and like superpowers I'd watch campione! I really enjoyed it and tere no harm in testing it out over two episodes.
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

He can actually act in Magic Mike, as well! Unlike everything else he's every been in... -_-
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Vintage Arachnid
im always watchin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Vintage Arachnid
I liked him in Magic Mike! Maybe that's because he was prancing around half-naked...

I Am Number Four was just a disaster for me but not mainly because of his acting. Those are the only things I've seen him in.

THE EXTREMELY JEALOUS PAIR OF CAREFULWETPAINT
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Sodom

I Am Number Four was a terrible movie overall, but I didn't think his acting was bad at all! That's the only thing I've ever seen him in though.

Old July 16th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:
But no I didn't see him in Stormbreaker but how could you say such things Harlequin, he was only 16 at the time! A precious child, you nasty pedo!
Don't you take that tone with me, hypocrite.

I tried to watch I Am Number Four but I got so bored that I just started texting and doing everything other that watching that car crash in slow motion.
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
A couple of people I trust also agree. I'll see what people think when it's finished, still not sure yet.

Oddly enough I just started watching Sengoku Basara. Dear lord this is brilliant. Stupidly over the top fights, Engrish, awesome ost with some sort of watered down Japanese history as it's setting.

Last edited by Weeaboo Name; July 17th, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old July 17th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Sodom

Meanwhile I'm imagining Mr Cat Dog in a movie theater, watching a movie about men stripping. It makes me chuckle on the inside

Old July 17th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Esper

Cat is obviously very comfortable with his sexuality.

I Am Number Four is a movie I wrote off when I read Michael Bay was involved. Glad to know I didn't miss anything.

deviantart blog pair
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire

We all know the movie's gonna be good, so why not give the soundtrack a listen? If you're a fan of soundtrack music or music in Hans Zimmer's style, you need to listen to it. Sets the mood perfectly for what the movie's about. You'll want to jump around rooftops in a cape after listening to this.
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Yeah, pretty much. It's just men stripping... not like I'm going to turn gay from watching it! Dunno why people are so apprehensive about it. Although the atmosphere in the cinema was verrrrrrrry unusual. Mainly consisting of 40-year-old women randomly yelling out "I'd like to break me off a piece of THAT!"

Sponsored Links

Advertise here