Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 2nd, 2013 (11:56 AM).
Antemortem
nothing but a teenage phase

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
What does everyone think of Prism by Katy Perry so far? I think it's absolutely stunning, and some of her best work so far. Nothing far too memorable that I can tell so far (though I can see Legendary Lovers, By the Grace of God, and International Smile going big!!) and while I have high hopes for ARTPOP, it'll take a lot to beat out Prism. Queen Katy is soaring imo. xo
Old November 2nd, 2013 (01:44 PM).
«Chuckles»
I'm a self aware man, I'm also borderline narcissistic

Nature: Brave
Yeah Prism is a great album, maybe the second album I own where I like and can listen to every song on it, I also like the word prism and how it works and basically how she has used that to tell her story I find that very smart. Kudos to Katy Perry.

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old November 3rd, 2013 (05:21 PM).
Zoro
hi
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Zoro
Love Katy Perry and her new album! My favorite song on it right now is probably Dark Horse. I love Juicy J as well, even though I don't like the new song he made with Miley.

Just looked at some Halloween celebp ics. This one was by far by favorite:

Spoiler:

You go Matt Lauer!!

I wanna hear Britney's new single, Perfume, but I can't find it on Youtube yet. :/
Old November 3rd, 2013 (05:45 PM).
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

Yall better stan for the queen :3

I love PRISM, it's amazing. I love every track on the album, least favorite being Spiritual.
Old November 3rd, 2013 (09:31 PM).
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

Nature: Careful
So I just watched this video and I feel like I've gotta share it with you guys because this is one of the most impressive live performances I've ever laid my eyes on:-

Old November 4th, 2013 (03:50 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
For me, PRISM is a good album. Just good. There's a lot of wonderful songs on it, but I didn't find myself jumping up and down while listening to it, and I was pretty excited for this album too. There's a lot of emotional depth to this album though, and I think that's what I like the best about it. I also like how it seems to transition from a happy and strong emotion in the beginning to a much more sad and broken feeling towards the end. Definitely seems to reflect on Katy's marriage.

And while I'm eagerly anticipating ARTPOP, as it stands Avril Lavigne's latest and self-titled album has been my favorite pop album this year.
Old November 4th, 2013 (04:53 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

I don't really care for Prism. There are some nice bops on it and some great ballads, but its not really an album that I'll go to listen to from start to finish. Its miles better, in terms of quality, than Teenage Dream, but not as desirable.

ARTPOP, I was excited for, but honestly I've grown tired of it already. And I've only had it for, like, three days. I enjoy almost all of the songs, but the album itself as a whole just isn't something that I can see myself going to months from now listening to and not being bored listening to it.

I haven't been into much pop these days. I don't have anything against pop music. In fact, it's my go-to genre when I'm at work because its so easy to listen to, but there's just much to be desired in the pop scene and the sounds that are currently out there trending now just don't really tickle my fancy, to say the least.

I haven't listened to Avril's new album.

Right now I'm really into Country, and I'm really into underground and alternative rap. And Lorde.
Old November 4th, 2013 (05:16 PM).
Antemortem

I've picked out my favorites from both albums (though I haven't gotten all of ARTPOP yet, so we'll see on that). From PRISM, those being Dark Horse, Roar, International Smile, Ghost, Legendary Lovers, and Love Me. The rest isn't bad, but I probably couldn't listen to them on a regular basis. I'm still obsessing over Venus from ARTPOP, even though everyone else is over it already. idk I just freaking love it so much, apart from the breakdown which I kind of tune out except for the 'DON'T YOU KNOW MY ASS IS FAMOUS' part which I die at every time.
Old November 5th, 2013 (02:49 AM). Edited November 5th, 2013 by Ace..
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Ace:
And Lorde.
ugh, her attitude is just so ._.

also katy's impact:
Old November 5th, 2013 (10:37 AM).
Esper

Quote originally posted by Rest:
So I just watched this video and I feel like I've gotta share it with you guys because this is one of the most impressive live performances I've ever laid my eyes on:-

That was pretty fantastic. I love seeing creative live performances like that.

Reminds me of this performance by Imogen Heap what with the layering stuff going on.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 7th, 2013 (02:15 AM).
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

YOUR NEW RELEASES: Guess he's earned the right to call himself a rap god, huh? Hip-hop megastar Eminem will score this year's second largest debut this week. Here are this week's key new releases:

Eminem (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope) 700-750k
Celine Dion (Columbia) 70-80k
Avril Lavigne (Epic) 40-45k
Pentatonix (Madison Gate) 27-30k
The Wanted (Mercury/IDJ) 18-20k
Il Divo (SYCO/Columbia) 14-16k
James Blunt (Atlantic) 14-16k
Jake Miller (eOne) 14-16k
M.I.A. (Interscope) 12-14k

-

that drop from number 1 to 2 D:
Old November 7th, 2013 (08:45 AM).
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

Nature: Relaxed
That drop is sufficiently cray-cray. Although, if I'm reading my music reports correctly, Arcade Fire's Reflektor was the top seller last week with only 150k, so I think it's more a case of Eminem being a particularly popular draw this week. But still, wowza!
Old November 7th, 2013 (08:49 AM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

Eminem's album leaked a good few days ago as well so that's a really good figure for him. I won't be purchasing it myself though, it's a fairly poor album with the exception of 'Rap God'.
Old November 10th, 2013 (06:42 AM).
Antemortem

I've never been a real Eminem fan but I might try out some of his new tracks... if I'm feeling desperate.
Old November 10th, 2013 (09:57 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I haven't listened to Eminem's latest album yet, and honestly I can't say that I plan to. From what I've heard about it, it seems like Eminem sounds very angry throughout most of the album. So, basically nothing new! My sister is a big fan of his music though, so I'm sure she'll tell me about it eventually.
Old November 10th, 2013 (09:45 PM).
JayD
I‘m not going to die. Because I’m the one who will protect you.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I actually LOVE his new album, it feels like Shady all over again! The golden age of Em
Old November 13th, 2013 (04:37 PM).
Antemortem

Actually, he does sound angry throughout the entirety of the album... haha. Before my dog practically consumed the CD, I listened to most of the album. I only really like his collab songs, like The Monster and Headlights, but that's as usual. I've always really loved works he does with other people, so.
Old November 13th, 2013 (06:13 PM).
Doppelgänger

I plan on buying Eminems new album soon, but from what I have heard so far (Headlights, The Monster, Berzerk), I think its a pretty good album. I absolutely love Headlights. I love how personal it is, and Nate Ruess is awesome as always. I look forward to hearing the rest of the album.
Old November 14th, 2013 (12:26 AM).
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

YOUR NEW RELEASES: It's time to take a look at the week's key debuts, which include not only the long-awaited ARTPOP but also the latest NOW comp (has it really only been 48?) and a freshly packaged set of BBC performances by some mop-topped Liverpudlians.

Lady Gaga (Interscope) 250-275k
NOW 48 (UMe) 90-95k
The Beatles (Capitol) 40-45k
Jhene Aiko (Def Jam/IDJ) 25-30k
The Killers (Island/IDJ) 12-15k

-

Pretty sad for Gaga. The album deserved to open more and I'm sure everyone can agree Artpop is better than Born This Way. Artpop deserved more and so did Avril Lavigne. ;-;
Old November 14th, 2013 (11:38 AM).
Esper

Quote originally posted by ForeverDash:
Pretty sad for Gaga. The album deserved to open more and I'm sure everyone can agree Artpop is better than Born This Way. Artpop deserved more and so did Avril Lavigne. ;-;
My friends who listen to Lady Gaga all say it's a disappointing album and not up to her normal standards. Or their standards of her. Either way.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 14th, 2013 (02:53 PM).
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

That's quite the big drop from Born This Way's first week figure of 1.1 million. Maybe a sense of Gaga-fatigue is setting in? From an anecdotal perspective, I can't say I felt as much of a media hype over this one as over the previous one.
Old November 14th, 2013 (07:20 PM).
Antemortem

I don't understand the drop because if anything this album was more anticipated than the last, what with the reason for Gaga's mini-hiatus. I'm actually considerably upset at the figure, as I really enjoy 90% of the album and think it's a huge improvement from her previous album, not to discredit Born This Way's worth.
Old November 14th, 2013 (08:09 PM).
Doppelgänger

Aw Gaga

I like the album. Yeah, Born This Way was better, but ARTPOP is still a pretty solid album. Even though ARTPOP won't sell as many copies as hoped, she still is one of the top artists of today. Also, ARTPOP has a pretty cool app out which I recommend checking out.
Old November 14th, 2013 (11:05 PM).
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

The Main reason Artpop is opening low this era is probably because she alienated the General Public and focused more on her fans during the Born This Way era. Hopefully she'll be able to get back the General Public's interest. Anyways updated projection for the week:

Pop Emergency: ARTPOP 240-260k
YOUR TOP 15 (PLUS ONE): Universal appears headed to having an unprecedented nine of the Top 10 albums on next week's chart, with Lady Gaga (seen at right with the co-stars of her upcoming holiday special) leading the pack. Kelly Clarkson's holiday album, Wrapped In Red, is the lone non-UMG title. We don't believe this has ever happened in the modern charting era. Here's how it looks headed into the weekend:

1. Lady Gaga (Interscope) 240-260k
2. Eminem (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope) 200-220k
3. Now 48 (UMe) 95-105k
4. The Robertsons (EMI Nashville) 60-65k
5. Katy Perry (Capitol) 45-50k
6. Kelly Clarkson (RCA) 40-45k
7. The Beatles (Capitol) 35-40k
8. Drake (Young Money/Cash Money/Republic) 30-35k
9. Lorde (Lava/Republic) 30-35k
10. Jhene Aiko (Def Jam/IDJ) 30-35k
11. Celine Dion (Columbia) 27-30k
12. Miley Cyrus (RCA) 25-28k
13. Luke Bryan (Capitol Nashville) 24-27k
14. Florida Georgia Line (Republic Nashville) 19-22k
15. Imagine Dragons (KidinaKorner/Interscope) 17-20k
16. Arcade Fire (Merge) 17-20k

-
Gaga's predictions dropped again D: Oh well, at least she won't get blocked by Eminem, and Kelly seems to have stabilized.
Old November 15th, 2013 (05:03 PM).
Antemortem

Out of the blue, The Change-Up came on today and, equally as surprising, it made me realize how much I freaking love Jason Bateman.

Sponsored Links