The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:38 AM
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
And Viola deserves it, her performance in The Help was amazing, but Meryl became Margaret Thatcher like nobody else could! She is universally known as the world's greatest living actress - I'm fairly sure that's her official title now or something - and yet when it comes to the Oscars she's always the bridesmaid and never the bride! It's a JOKE!
Meryl is the last person that needs that Oscar in that list of Best Actress nominations, IMO.

Everyone knows who Meryl is, what she does and that she does it very, very well. She's a legend; one of the best actresses around. An Oscar will not help her career as it is now, but it will help the likes of Viola Davis and Rooney Mara much more. They're nowhere nigh popular, and definitely not as well-known as Streep is I'm certain. This Oscar can help them propel into the limelight.

As for Glenn Close, like I said, she hasn't won one Academy award her entire career and it'd be nice if she nabbed this one as part of her great but obscure line of work.

Not to sound serious or anything, it's just what I thought. xD
Old January 31st, 2012, 03:59 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
Well everything you say is technically true, but I really hate the idea that the Academy would give out the Oscar based on who needs it the most rather than who deserves it the most. They're meant to award the greatest actor/actress/film/etc, not act as a charity to propel careers...

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:05 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I thought the same and I'm not saddened by this, Cybody fights and Takuto transformation with a film budget? yes please.
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:54 AM
Esper

The Oscars are kind of a joke in terms of actually picking the best/most deserving people for the awards. They've picked Crash, Return of the King, and The Hurt Locker as best pictures. I rest my case.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:01 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
CHRIS! I need one of your snappy RuPaul/Tyra .gifs to lay down on Scarf for disrespecting The Hurt Locker. (Return of the King isn't my cuppa, but I understand how other people like it. Totally right on Crash, though.)
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:14 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
CHRIS! I need one of your snappy RuPaul/Tyra .gifs to lay down on Scarf for disrespecting The Hurt Locker. (Return of the King isn't my cuppa, but I understand how other people like it. Totally right on Crash, though.)
Okay, to be honest I only saw the first 10 minutes of The Hurt Locker, but it didn't interest me. I really thought Up should have won.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:38 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post

Satisfied?

I'm with Scarf on The Hurt Locker, to be honest. I enjoyed Up faaarrrr mooorreee than The Hurt Locker, which quite frankly, I find overrated and boring.
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:27 PM
Rest

Quote:
Well everything you say is technically true, but I really hate the idea that the Academy would give out the Oscar based on who needs it the most rather than who deserves it the most. They're meant to award the greatest actor/actress/film/etc, not act as a charity to propel careers...
I didn't say it was a charity, I'm saying it'd be more meaningful for people other than Streep to win it. And if Close doesn't win it I'd be sorely disappointed. D:
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:58 AM
Katholic Nun

I also agree with Scarf and Chris on The Hurt Locker. I actually saw it all the way through and... ugh. But military-themed movies never interested me either, so that could be part of it. It was good for what it was, I guess. Best Picture? I'm not so sure.

I haven't actually seen Albert Nobbs so I can't really comment on Glenn Close's performance, but I do know that she is an amazing actress. I doubt she'll win it though. Cat Dog tells me that the Screen Actor's Guild Awards are one of the greatest predictors for the Oscars, so I'm guessing it'll go to Viola Davis. Having seen The Help I am more than happy to see any Oscar go its way, though I will be incredibly upset on behalf of Meryl who has been the victim of the Academy's poor decision-making far too many times.

Also I just looked up the SAG awards (I watched it on TV but missed the last half hour as I had to go to work) and I am so excited to see The Help won Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture! YAY!

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Having seen The Help I am more than happy to see any Oscar go its way, though I will be incredibly upset on behalf of Meryl who has been the victim of the Academy's poor decision-making far too many times.
Sorry, I call BS, Andrew! Anyone who already has 2 Oscar wins from 17 nominations cannot claim to be a 'victim' of anything awards-related.
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:14 AM
Rest

Streep's noms-but-never-actually-winning is a tradition, so let it stay that way. /joke

@ Mr Cat Dog - I just watched Tree Of Life! It definitely was "interesting". Where to start... well, Jessica Chastain and Brad Pitt were remarkable. Pitt's scenes were insanely tense, and some were hard to watch, but it was great nonetheless. Chastain just takes the cake; she embodied a loving mother and person so well. I loved how the plot is about a boy who is struggling with the different, contrasting ideologies practiced by each parent. They took stereotypes and furnished them with great depth and emotion. The film sort of magnified the typical suburban life, and the lives of curious boys. It was definitely a refreshing movie, but I can see how some people hate it. xD

Really, I had multiple eyegasms.

I think Chastain got nominated for the wrong movie.

It was like Space Odyssey and One Day Like Rain had a love child. :D
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:52 PM
Katholic Nun

OK I'm gonna stop talking about Meryl Streep soon because I'm starting to feel like I'm that guy, but 2/17 = 11.76% = not good enough, especially since her performances have only gotten better since her last win in 1982. And like Rest said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rest
Streep's noms-but-never-actually-winning is a tradition, so let it stay that way. /joke
He was joking but that is actually a running gag in Hollywood. VICTIM

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:17 PM
Hikamaru
out of this world
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Time for another "What am I listening to?" post:

Lullaby - Shawn Mullins

Anyone remember this song?

Also, another low-profile celebrity has passed away...

Spoiler:
...and it was Leslie Carter, the sister of Nick and Aaron Carter.

Leslie was a one-hit wonder whose song Like Wow was featured on the soundtrack to the first Shrek movie. However sadly, her album never got released.

The cause of death is still unknown but is not said to be suspicious. Leslie was aged just 25.

RIP Leslie Carter, the singer who failed dramatically.

I got this story from some junk newspaper we have in Australia called MX which is like a newspaper for celebrity gossip.

Paired with AWsquared, Isaac and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:43 AM
Katholic Nun

Yeah I heard about Leslie, that was sad but I had no idea who she was until my sister came out this morning and said "Leslie Carter died!" so I'm not too sad. But death is always sad when it's so young

I saw Chronicle tonight. There have been ads flooding TV for it for a few weeks now and I went to see it tonight simply because of my obsession with telekinesis. I was shocked to find that even independently of that, it was a really really good movie! Like, frickin' amazing! I really hope there is a second one, I think it might have been left open, but I highly recommend it!

Also, I'm SO INCREDIBLY ANGRY. I was planning on going to see Young Adult tomorrow, because I have been desperately wanting to see it for WEEKS now. The main character looked pretty much like my spirit sister and she was destined to make me feel better about life and everything. But, despite the fact that it came out just two weeks ago, it is no longer in cinemas! I AM FILLED WITH SUCH RAGE.

So I am seeing Albert Nobbs instead. It had better be worth it. It has big shoes to fill!

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:25 AM
Rest

I don't know who Leslie Carter is, but that's a shame. Hopefully her family and friends come through.

YES! Your reassurance will better prepare me for what's in store for Chronicle. I'll catch it this weekend hopefully!

That's a shame, Young Adult's not showing here anymore either. Anyways, you'll enjoy Albert Nobbs and Glenn Close, matey. I'll bet my bottom dollar.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:09 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
They really need to make up their goddamn mind about where they want to live.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:32 PM
digi-kun
Hourai NEET

Not much to retell though, unless they actually decide to close plot points after they open them. Hopefully they'll do so, like retelling what happens from a different group's point of view. Unless they do away with all the implications that there may be stuff going on behind the scenes without developing them at all, I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it too much.

Partner in crime and fellow singbot: the devilicious iruchii
Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Katholic Nun

OK so I saw Albert Nobbs yesterday... I really didn't like it. Glenn Close's performance was amazing as promised; that much goes undisputed, she was incredible. But the movie itself? I don't know, man... the whole thing felt kind of pointless to me. Particularly with the lacklustre ending. My overall impression of the film is "was that really a story that needed to be told?"

It was a good concept, but I think they could have done a lot better with it.

Bahahahaha. At least the movies are half-decent for animated ones

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:20 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
They could do to Star Driver what they did to Utena and The Adolescence of Utena, a retelling that isn't a retelling.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM
Eliminator Jr.
Gym Leader

Nature: Calm
I've always been open to liking hip-hop/rap music, it's just that up until recently I haven't been able to find any artists I like. I've found two hip-hop songs I really like, but no matter how hard I search I can't find any more than that (I've tried NWA, Wu Tang Clan, Jigmastas etc. and although they have good aspects to their music, I don't like them overall).

These are the two songs I like:

Would anybody be able to recommend me some good hip-hop?
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:06 PM
Rest

Quote:
OK so I saw Albert Nobbs yesterday... I really didn't like it. Glenn Close's performance was amazing as promised; that much goes undisputed, she was incredible. But the movie itself? I don't know, man... the whole thing felt kind of pointless to me. Particularly with the lacklustre ending. My overall impression of the film is "was that really a story that needed to be told?"

It was a good concept, but I think they could have done a lot better with it.
That's understandable, and it did get worse towards the end. I feel the movie showcased the acting more than anything else though, and the actresses shone and brought the otherwise drab movie to life. It was made with a sincerity though. Blame it on Rodrigo Garcia!

@ Harlequin - You know, I'm pretty excited for that. For the hilarious lemurs of course. :3
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
digi-kun
Hourai NEET

I'm pretty sure that's all they could do. Retelling a monster of the day series is kinda hard when there's not much story to back it up...

Partner in crime and fellow singbot: the devilicious iruchii
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Montgomery
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Modest

I recommend this song, if you are into such genres.

Also, this. I am not a fan of Pitbull's songs, but this was actually great.

Last edited by Montgomery; February 4th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old February 5th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Katholic Nun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10
...and it was Leslie Carter, the sister of Nick and Aaron Carter.

Leslie was a one-hit wonder whose song Like Wow was featured on the soundtrack to the first Shrek movie. However sadly, her album never got released.

The cause of death is still unknown but is not said to be suspicious. Leslie was aged just 25.

RIP Leslie Carter, the singer who failed dramatically
LMAO I just saw this. WOW that's harsh but I can't stop laughing bahahahaha.

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
Old February 5th, 2012, 04:17 AM
firepokemon
Fire and Ice

Send a message via AIM to firepokemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to firepokemon
Nick Carter use to be so hot meanwhile Justin Timberlake in my opinion use to be funny looking. Nick Carter now looks very not hot and Timberlake isn't my cup of tea but is attractive I guess. Leslie Carter did she appear in that lame Carter reality series?

Tomorrow marks the start of new shows coming to New Zealand. Some start a bit earlier and some shows will also start later.

But I am really looking forward to the America's Next Top Model all-star edition. It sounds horrifically trashy. Also looking forward to Season 3 of Misfits but looks like I may have to download it as even with a recording device that records two things Tuesdays are very busy. The Walking Dead's first season was very good so am looking forward to the second season. And on Thurday we get Once Upon A Time (looks fab), Project Runway (season before current all-stars edition) and Haven.

Sunday 12 February looks really good as well. Spartacus: Vengeance (RIP Andy Whitfield) and Pretty Little Liars (season one was honestly some of the best tv I've seen) start. Monday 13 adds even more shows. Last season of Desperate Housewives (love the show), Revenge (looks good), Drop Dead Diva season three, The Amazing Race and Luck.

Too much TV so not sure will be able to watch everything. Anyway, anyone else watching those shows?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links