Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Clubs

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Clubs This forum is for those who wish to start a club within the community. This forum is for Pokémon clubs; Fan Clubs & Groups is for everything else.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 21st, 2013 (06:00 AM).
ChipmunkGamingInc.
Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.

Nature: Lonely
To be honest, I've never played Gen. I or HG/SS. I've looked up her team, and I went Holy Wow!! Whoever at Game Freak decided that it was a good idea to give a Dark type Trainer a Ghost type Pokemon has another thing coming!! Also, a Grass/Poison combo isn't the easiest to beat. Here I was, naive little me, thinking that the greatest Dark type Pokemon Master of all time was Sidney from Generation III, but no. Oh, no. My role model is now Karen. What is it with her team that makes it so hard to beat? Here's my analysis:

Using only my partner Pokemon, I can easily take out her Umbreon seeing as it's a solid Dark type. However, the Umbreon can also easily take out my Absol, assuming that they are both the same level, and we both use non-Dark type moves.
Then we have her dreaded Vileplume. Honestly, I don't see why it's so hard to defeat. You have no disadvantage against the combination, and no advantage either. The other way around, is the same result. That Vileplume and has no advantage/disadvantage against you. Then again, we don't know it's stats, so it's Defense could be extremely high.
I'll skip her Murkrow and her Houndoom since they'd both be pretty easy to beat with a Dark type Pokemon.
Gangar. Why would a DARK TYPE POKEMON MASTER have a GANGAR on her team? We, as the challenger, have an elemental advantage over it, and it has no advantage over us!! Easy out. Plain and simple.

On an unrelated note, does ANYBODY know what Gangar's English name is?? I CAN'T FIND IT!! I have to translate all of the Japanese names to English, and it takes forever to find it sometimes.

*~Maelstrom~*

Join the Poké Dance Party! Gen II at it's best!
Old August 22nd, 2013 (05:18 PM).
TheTorraRegion

Aaaaaah Drank Types! (Fun fact: igloo is actually a Zorua, and pokedude is a zoroark. They are disguised as humans.)

Username: igloo9201 (because this is igloo. TheTorraRegion is, of course, four people. Pokedude may also join this.)
What do you think of Dark-Types: I think they are strong, and they look very cool. *licks paw proudly*
Partner Pokemon: Nero (male Zorua), Bicho (male Mightyena)
PS Dark-Types rule! *pats myself on the back* hehehe, this his a true statement.
Old August 22nd, 2013 (06:08 PM).
awolfsquared
Not wearin glasses.I wanna look awesome.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
Quote originally posted by ChipmunkGamingInc.:

On an unrelated note, does ANYBODY know what Gangar's English name is?? I CAN'T FIND IT!! I have to translate all of the Japanese names to English, and it takes forever to find it sometimes.

*~Maelstrom~*
It's Gengar , simple as that. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gengar_(Pok%C3%A9mon) I'm guessing the country you come from uses the Japanese names?
Quote originally posted by TheTorraRegion:
Aaaaaah Drank Types! (Fun fact: igloo is actually a Zorua, and pokedude is a zoroark. They are disguised as humans.)

Username: igloo9201 (because this is igloo. TheTorraRegion is, of course, four people. Pokedude may also join this.)
What do you think of Dark-Types: I think they are strong, and they look very cool. *licks paw proudly*
Partner Pokemon: Nero (male Zorua), Bicho (male Mightyena)
PS Dark-Types rule! *pats myself on the back* hehehe, this his a true statement. ^^
Welcome Igloo! Should I put your user as igloo9201 or TheTorraRegion?
Old August 22nd, 2013 (06:29 PM).
TheTorraRegion

Igloo9201 because if pokedude joins we would bre on the same account and all the peeps would be like Whu? Lol sorry I find that terribly funny.
Old August 25th, 2013 (02:13 AM).
awolfsquared
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by TheTorraRegion:
Igloo9201 because if pokedude joins we would bre on the same account and all the peeps would be like Whu? Lol sorry I find that terribly funny.
Yeah that makes sense. XD Ok updating OP now.

But anyway, we're in a need of a new topic since it seems no one was interested in answering that last one. D: Hopefully this topic gets more love.

Which Dark type would you say you have used the most , whether be it in your in-game party or competitive teams?

I don't do competitive battling so I'll answer from an in-game perspective. I would say either Absol or Umbreon for me. I've played Emerald at least 3-5 times and Sapphire once so far and in each or almost each of those I've used an Absol in my team. It's not the best stat-wise but I just thinking it's a cool looking Pokemon and I've always formed teams around looks over stats and how good they are in battle. I might use an Absol again in X and Y cause it's new Mega-evolution gives it the boost it needed and Magic Bounce is a good ability for Absol.

Umbreon I've used in almost every Gold and Cyrstal playthough and in my HeartGold and Black 2 playthrough. I just really like it as much maybe more than Absol and it's one of the best Eeveelutions.

How about you guys?
Old August 25th, 2013 (06:44 PM).
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Quote originally posted by AWsquared:

Which Dark type would you say you have used the most , whether be it in your in-game party or competitive teams?

I believe mine is Mightyena and Hydreigon. My early competitive stages didn't take heed to IVs so I obliviously went and breed numerous Deinos w/ Dark Pulse without knowledge of what IVs it had as I keep finding a stronger Pokemon to use. Mightyena, in every Hoenn game I played or will ever play I will start with a Poochyena.

Trainer Data:
Full Name: Mithel "Myth" Celestia
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old August 26th, 2013 (04:58 AM).
ChipmunkGamingInc.
Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.

Nature: Lonely
My most used Pokemon is currently Umbreon. I honestly don't do a ton of competitive battling either, but I have my team in case I feel like a challenge.

Join the Poké Dance Party! Gen II at it's best!
Old August 26th, 2013 (12:02 PM).
TheTorraRegion

I haven't been able to battle competitively yet, so I'll do an in-game as well.

I'd have to as Mightyena! I love wolves, so I always try to have a Mightyena on my team. I have one on Sapphire ad HG.
Old August 29th, 2013 (07:20 PM).
Dark Sneasel
I like being a drone.
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I use Umbreon for defensive and then Weavile and Zoroark full offensively. That would be in-game cuz I don't play competitively

Join Poketch.com, a new ROM hacking community! Click on the image for more!
Old August 30th, 2013 (12:24 PM).
Neosprin
Horsea's Mother

Nature: Impish
Username: Neosprin
I think that Dark type Pokemon were meant to kick butt. They all just look like they're gonna murder you in your sleep, even Vullaby does! I mean, all of them have epic unique designs. EVERY. LAST. ONE.

In my Black game, I had my first Dark type enter the Hall of Fame which was Kiara, a Liepard. I traded her over to my Black 2 game and I still use her. Then my other partner was my Zoroark named Meema, she's a sweeper, and she loves me. She is the Zoroark that is Black 2.

Dark types rule!!! andwatertypesilikethemtoo

I've definately used Murkrow and Weavile the most, though neither have them have ever entered my Hall of Fame. I used Murkrow and Weavile in Platinum, HeartGold, Black and Black 2.
Old September 5th, 2013 (09:22 AM).
Dark Sneasel
I like being a drone.
Community Supporter

Ah the club is dying... but oh well I would definitely spam with Ice Shard to destroy Karen's Weavile. But I wouldn't get far because of the Houndoom.

Old September 6th, 2013 (07:26 AM).
awolfsquared
Community Supporter

Ahhhhh I'm sorry for not being so active in here. :/ I'm not sure what we can talk about here anymore. So how about we bring back a old topic cause some new members have joined since. It was one of the first topics I answered when I first joined.

Before generation IV, all Dark-type moves were special. However, the presence of powerful Dark-type moves like Crunch, Pursuit, and Thief certainly does not make Dark all that special. So: Do you think it was right to classify them as Special moves?

Old September 6th, 2013 (12:47 PM).
Dark Sneasel
I like being a drone.
Community Supporter

No way. I really like Gen 3 and I play it a lot but that's why I don't use that many Dark Types in that gen (or gen 2). It could have been awesome if it was physical..

Old September 6th, 2013 (08:07 PM).
Hikamaru
The Sea Otter Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Before generation IV, all Dark-type moves were special. However, the presence of powerful Dark-type moves like Crunch, Pursuit, and Thief certainly does not make Dark all that special. So: Do you think it was right to classify them as Special moves?

I think it was a dumb thing Game Freak did, because while Dark-types look so awesome, their moves sucked back the because almost all of them were physical attackers and the moves didn't take advantage of their stats, so changing them to physical in 4th Gen was a good move and finally made Dark-types usable again.
Old September 9th, 2013 (07:32 AM).
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Dark type, i believe, was the special version of the late Ghost Types, which is a Physical before Gen IV. If you put their elemental advantages side-by-side, you can see that both are similar in ways, both super effective against Ghost and Psychic. Since we're talking about moves, Ghost offensive advantages are only against itself and Psychic with no effect against normal types, making the latter a perfect check for those moves. Dark, on the other hand, is also strong against both Ghost an Psychic with no types immune to them and Fighting being its only difference between Ghost an Dark. If Dark would've been Physical before Gen 4, it would compete with the lesser Ghost moves and Dark would soon dominate over Ghost as Dark seeks more use while Ghost is left being a weaker variant of the fore-mentioned.

Trainer Data:

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old September 10th, 2013 (01:35 PM).
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Dark as Special? I don't think that works at all, no! Crunch, Bite, Beat Up, Thief, Fling, Sucker Punch - none of these strike me as Special moves haha. I think they were just looking for a new Special type to balance things out and it made more sense to make it Dark rather than Steel but I think it was a mistake. Thankfully the division didn't last too long but I can't imagine how something like Weavile would've coped back then - even the most basic Dark-types introduced at the time like Mightyena go against the Special classing though so who knows paha.
Old September 11th, 2013 (03:16 AM).
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

NOOOOOO!!!!
Spoiler:
Fairy confirmed to be super efective against Dark and Dragon. Dark is not effective against Fairy. Steel loses resistance against Ghost and Dark

At least Dark can now have a chance against Steel types, the most defensive type there is. A type for a type, right?

So Fairy is basically Light-type, effective against Dark, immune to Dark.

Iamstilloutragedaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! DX

Trainer Data:

Old September 11th, 2013 (04:44 AM).
awolfsquared
Community Supporter

Okay new topic due to recent news!

It's been recently announced that the Fairy-type is super effective against Dark types while Steel loses it's resistances against Dark and Steel. What are your thoughts on all of the recent news?How do you think it will affect the Dark type competitively?Will it improve it or make it worse?

Long topic which I'll answer later. Now discuss!
Old September 11th, 2013 (04:50 AM).
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Dark/Ghost types...that's all I'm bringing for now. Look above the topic for my announcement response *sits in a corner*

Trainer Data:

Old September 11th, 2013 (05:38 AM).
Hikamaru
The Sea Otter Pokémon
Community Supporter

It's been recently announced that the Fairy-type is super effective against Dark types while Steel loses it's resistances against Dark and Ghost. What are your thoughts on all of the recent news? How do you think it will affect the Dark type competitively? Will it improve it or make it worse?

I think Fairy being strong on Dark was something I saw coming thanks to that big Pokebeach rumor dump from months back. It confirms Sableye and Spiritomb as now having a true weakness, and also Scrafty, Hydreigon and Pangoro being 4x weak to Fairy. The changes to Steel's resistances was something I didn't expect, maybe they removed the Ghost and Dark resistance to balance out Steel like how they added Fairy to balance out Dragon. Looks like Game Freak weren't balancing just Dragons after all!

As for competitive, I think the Dark-type could see more use given it's now super-effective on Metagross, Bronzong and even Honedge. The modifications to Steel's matchups could make Dark-types be used more again so I could say it made it better imo.

Oh, and Aaron you need to specify Ghost and Dark, not Steel and Dark in your last post there.
Old September 11th, 2013 (06:07 AM).
TheTorraRegion

I have to admit, I hate fairy type. But fairy>Dark makes sense.
Old September 11th, 2013 (06:43 AM).
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Dark being neutral against Steel will be a huge help as it's currently one of their biggest counters but I think being weak to Fairy will make up for it. Fairy-types (assuming they get some strong members) will be huge in the new meta to counter all the old OP Dragon-types (especially things like the new mega Garchomp) so I can see Dark-types having a hard time as a result. I'm sure they'll have some of their old classics pull through but with Pokémon like Hydreigon now having 4x weaknesses I'm not expecting much. It's a shame :(
Old September 13th, 2013 (01:48 AM).
awolfsquared
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by CloysterOyster:
If it's ok with the club's owner, I want to make a Dark-type team of my own and add it here.

Umbreon @ Blackglasses

-Faint Attack
-Quick Attack
-Pursuit
-Moonlight

Hydreigon @ Dragon Fang

-Dragon Rush
-Dragon Pulse
-Crunch
-Scary Face

Sableye @ Spell Tag

-Punishment
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Claw
-Foul Play

Houndoom @ Charcoal

-Smog
-Fire Fang
-Crunch
-Flamethrower

Mightyena @ Quick Claw

-Odor Sleuth
-Bite
-Sucker Punch
-Take Down

Weavile @ Ice Gem

-Beat Up
-Ice Punch
-Night Slash
-Hone Claws
There was a topic in the past where I asked people to make a monotype Dark team, so you did answer a previous topic. As long as you don't ask people to rate your team, I'm okay with it.

Anyway, I'm gonna answer the topic myself now.

I figured Dark would be weak against Fairy mainly cause of the leaks Hikari mentioned, but also cause it makes sense. Fairy is pretty much a light and magical type that is good and Dark is the evil and mischievous type. Light is the opposite of Dark so it makes sense the Light or Fairy type is super-effective against Dark. While Dark being weak against Fairy isn't good, Dark now being neutral to Steel types balances it out more. It will definitely make Dark types better and more used in competitive play too cause no it can take down uber tanks Pokemon such as Metagross and Bronzong.

And I updated the OP since Hikari mentioned my mistake. Anyone who answers the topic now should use the corrected version instead.
Old September 13th, 2013 (02:20 AM).
Aslan
the pretender

It's been recently announced that the Fairy-type is super effective against Dark types while Steel loses it's resistances against Dark and Ghost. What are your thoughts on all of the recent news? How do you think it will affect the Dark type competitively? Will it improve it or make it worse?

Fairy winning against Dark makes sense. I think they're turning it into one of those fairytale situations where the enemies always lose at the end no matter what. I don't like how dark-types in this situation are portrayed as the pirates and poisoners in books but I'll get over that. Another example of how fairy is super effective against dark is that fairy represents light while dark represents the shadows. Overall it makes logical sense but I don't like how fairy is becoming an overpowered force, ripping through some of the strongest types in the game. It gives a chance for the underrated types of the game (poison I'm looking at you), to stand out but overall all their strengths are insane. At least this one makes sense. (how steel beats fairies are beyond me, maybe cages to trap them?)

As for steel losing their resistance to Dark, I guess it was an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth? Get another weakness while receiving a strength in return. Steel-types could possibly be represented as soulless being all hollow so I don't see how dark penetrates through them. But this is the Pokemon world where logic doesn't apply to anything, so I'll think about this later. Overall I think this was implemented for the sake of balancing dark out but either way, I welcome it with open arms.

Competitively this will probably take the metagame by storm. If the most overused type in the game is cowering in fear, I don't think dark will cope to well. Hydreigon will probably drop down to the lower tiers while fairies rise higher to the top. We could possibly see more usage of other underrated types like Poison and their counters but that's only a guess. As for what happens to dark-types, I think everyone will expect a fall in usage. Top dark-types that usually find themselves sitting in higher tiers might not be able to handle all the offensive and defensive pressure on them especially with Tinkerbell on the rise.

It's not all bad news but I think it definitely outweighs the positive. Dark-types could be used as wallbreakers against the defensive Steel-types but there are so many better types for that. I mean sure, they can now rip through Pokemon they used to have trouble with but they're also burdened by this new tyrant type. How competitive will affect dark-types is a mystery itself though. Although I think it'll take a tumble for the worse. ]:
Old September 13th, 2013 (03:20 AM).
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
It makes sense that Fairy-types are effective against Dark now, as fairies are creatures of light and smite evil. I don't get how Steel is losing resistance to Dark and Ghost though, how can ghosts and darkness effect a metal? Steel needs to be kept strong and so does Dark.
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links