The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM
help-14
Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to help-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post
Dropbox is an amazing piece of holy programming divinity. I would advise all developers to have their work to be backed up there. But also backed up to a separate HDD periodically. I back up mine every two weeks.

In any case, I regret not posting here sooner. It's really nice to see more original games here, I cant wait to move this one to the showcase in the future! Do you plan on allowing joypad functionality? I certainly hope it's not mouse based, given that it's a platformer. Regardless, this one looks real interesting and I look forward to seeing it progress. Good luck with it guys!
You are absolutely right, i have lost all my pictures in a hdd problem once. Now with 25gb dropbox, i put everything in there, edit them in dropbox too so if i have done anything wrong, i can restore the previous version Why need backing up every two weeks when you can backup right after you changed it
Old October 20th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice

redid some of these guys. :3
Old October 20th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Fire Flyy
metaphysical poet

Nature: Sassy
Fantastic job, this game is like a beacon in the wasteland known as the beginning showcase.

Nice to see this back, especially because I'm the one who told Cilerba that you all should get Monokid going again heh
Old October 21st, 2012, 02:15 AM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

It's so satisfying to see this updated. Nice job with the colours. I hope you backed it up this time. ;D
Old October 21st, 2012, 04:35 AM
Spherical Ice

Aw, thanks guys. :3

Monokid is now being worked on directly in Dropbox so it /should/ be safe.

New logo? new logo
Old October 27th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Spherical Ice

Spoiler contains a relatively large gif file, dont open if you have a bad internet connection :3
Spoiler:

:D
Just a little example of a planned feature, paint blocks, which only activate when Monokid has collected Paint from Paint brushes (and eventually buckets). You then use Paint to kill enemies, solve puzzles, etc.

I also remade Monokid's sprite, as it was too large and this version will be easier to animate :3
I realise that jump can't be made, and Monokid's spazzing eye has been fixed. Oh, I've not made the HUD yet, and that background is a placeholder. Okay I'm sorry, enough excuses fineprint, lol.

Thanks for everyone who's voted for Monokid in the Spotlight, it means so much you guys <3

Last edited by Spherical Ice; October 27th, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old October 27th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
Oooo, I like this.
I presume the brushes will be in different places hard to reach and such.
Old October 27th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Spherical Ice

Nah, they'll be relatively common, but I plan to add something like Gold Paintbrushes that unlock Gold Blocks which lead to special secret stuff :3
Old October 27th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
I didn't mean rare, per se.
But as of such, they get more challenging to reach over time?
Old November 3rd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Spherical Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
They get more challenging to reach over time?
Depending on the situation, possibly :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqea5krLR1g

A quick video to show the progress I've made so far. Not much, but I'm personally quite proud :3

An idea I have for this is that all levels start off black and white, and gradually get more colourful as you gain more paint, or maybe as you get further in the levels, but I'm not sure how distracting a mechanic this will be. So, what do you guys think is the best plan of action? Do you think it'd be a good idea. I'll edit this post with a few mockups of how the screens would look.

Edit
Here's a proof of concept of the black and white idea. This image is animated, but it has a bit of a delay so as to not bombard you with colours :3

-

Thanks so much guys, by the way, for voting for Monokid in the Spotlight of the Month. It means so much to see your support! <3

Last edited by Spherical Ice; November 3rd, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old November 8th, 2012, 01:09 PM
UnderMybrella
Some Game Developer

Nature: Calm
This is looking really really good!!
A question though, will 1 paintbrush make all of the colour blocks solid? Because that's what it seems like here. Or is that just a debug feature?
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Spherical Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglican View Post
This is looking really really good!!
A question though, will 1 paintbrush make all of the colour blocks solid? Because that's what it seems like here. Or is that just a debug feature?
I'm not 100% sure yet. I might make it so paintbrushes unlock blocks of their respective colours, that would make more sense and include more challenge. I'm not sure yet, though.

Anyway, here's an awesome HUD designed by the Cilerba.

Old November 14th, 2012, 11:13 AM
UnderMybrella
Some Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
I'm not 100% sure yet. I might make it so paintbrushes unlock blocks of their respective colours, that would make more sense and include more challenge. I'm not sure yet, though.

Anyway, here's an awesome HUD designed by the Cilerba.

Cool!
But yeah, in all the previous videos and gifs, all the blocks are activated by one paintbrush. Unlocking blocks by their respective colour would be good.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links