The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.


Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #51    
Old January 26th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Dratinichick's Avatar
Dratinichick
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
I have to admit, as I was playing through, I couldn't help but notice how much like real animals/objects Pokemon are starting to look like. However, I have no real negavtive comments on this. Even though I did love the purely creative Pokemon in past generations, I have to admit, the only two pokemon I found annoying in Black/White were Trubbish, and Ducklett. And even then, that was just because they're so.... obvious. In past years, they at least kind of veiled WHAT exactly inspired the Pokemon. But then again, I suppose after a while you run out of things to make into Pokemon. =/ *CoughCough* And FWI Ducklett, we already have Psyduck =P *CoughCough*
Reply With Quote
  #52    
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:14 PM
The Nightmare's Avatar
The Nightmare
"I fight for what I belive in"
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Nightmare world
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Same, pokemon can look like anything but some unova pokemon do not really look like pokemon (for example heatmor).
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #53    
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:05 AM
IAshKetchum's Avatar
IAshKetchum
Pokémon master.
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pallet Town
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
b&w pokemon suck, they look like cheap rip off's of digimon..
__________________

My SS Team -
Reply With Quote
  #54    
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:50 AM
GokuRikaku's Avatar
GokuRikaku
Sup?
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Behind you.
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAshKetchum View Post
b&w pokemon suck, they look like cheap rip off's of digimon..
I would like to disagree and ask what makes you think they are a rip off of Digimon?
__________________
This is a signature.
That is Ran.
Reply With Quote
  #55    
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM
adulti
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
While I personally prefer Gen I and think some of the some new Pokémon look retarded,I pretty much agree with the whole "Pokemon can look like whatever the hell they want and still be Pokemon" argument.
Reply With Quote
  #56    
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Pecilia's Avatar
Pecilia
WOO! ADVENTURE!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Eye Oh Wah
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Being rude and right is good... of course, Pokes like Pawniard/Bisharp and Durant look like Yu-Gi-Oh. However they did make the legends better then D/P/Pt, they looked scary comparing it to a Pikachu. I'm sure they'll use the anime to show off it's cute side. I don't about Durant though, nothing comes to mind when getting him cute. FOREVER UGLY!
__________________

|Formerly: greenmoon1996 |Please notify me if (and which) one of the .GIFs is too large so I can remove it.|
Reply With Quote
  #57    
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Kyrk's Avatar
Kyrk
(╯°□°)╯︵ɔıb oן
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gender: Male
While I do agree that there's no criteria for what's a pokemon or not, I think what he's trying to say is that some of the newer pokemon look like a copy-and-paste of older pokemon or from other cartoon shows, or are abnormally simplistic. While there were indeed pokemon in the older generations considered "bland" or "unoriginal" (Geodude is just a rock with arms and a face) it seems to be more noticeable this generation.

Lilipip/Herdier/Stoutland just look like ordinary dogs. I know they're normal types, and I like them, but still...
While Sawk and Throh are really cool with a really cool concept, I personally find it rather strange that they're naturally wearing full articles of clothing like gis. However, I would also find them strange without their gis...
Ducklett, again, is just a duck, only blue with cartoony eyes.
The Vanillite family, while cute and all, seems like it would be more comfortable in Fighting Foodons...

As I said before, there's no criteria for what's a pokemon is supposed to be, and there are bland or lame-looking pokemon in every generation, but the Unova pokemon, despite having many amazing-looking pokemon I love, also has those pokemon that stick out like a sore thumb.
Reply With Quote
  #58    
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:53 PM
vizarod's Avatar
vizarod
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
TRUBBISH IS NOT A POKEMON!!!! It's a friggin garbage bag. WTF? Did someone take out the trash and turn around to see it randomly come to life? I think Trubbish is the weirdest one ever.

And then Yamask is super weird. Its pokedex entry:
Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.
These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life.

So, this pokemon used to be a person? HUH? since when are people reincarnated as pokemon? I suppose it would make sense, as Pokemon seem to be the equivalent of animals. But still. That's weird.
__________________
Solo quiero soñar
Reply With Quote
  #59    
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:27 AM
The Author's Avatar
The Author
The Hero of Knothole Glade
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Knothole Glade
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
It's kind of hard to explain, but they didn't seem like Pokémon anymore. I mean, some of them did, like the starters or the legendaries and some other ones, but other than that they seemed like they were going off into some other thing that isn't Pokémon, if you know what I mean.
__________________
The Disciple
The Poet
The Leader
The Musician
The Transcendentalist

The Author
The Philosopher
The Architect
The Psychologist
The Artist
Reply With Quote
  #60    
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM
SnowpointQuincy's Avatar
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
In 1996 Pokemon Red was released and the franchise was RUINED FOREVER! The idea of Pokemon was so much better before it was published. Really, it was more fun to think about poket monsters than to play a GameBoy. (FYI Sarcasm)

Just Like Other 20 year old game franchises, each game IS better than the one before. Wheather you like it or not.

Consider the Following: The target audience of Pokemon is 10 years old. And you favorite generation of pokemon was from when you were 10. See any correlation?

Pokemon is still awesome! You just arn't young enough to get it!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #61    
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:16 AM
DARKSHADE's Avatar
DARKSHADE
Waiting.. In the Shadows..
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Johto - Goldenrod/Azalea
Age: 18
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nightmare View Post
Same, pokemon can look like anything but some unova pokemon do not really look like pokemon (for example heatmor).
Uh, Heatmor is an anteater...

And as somebody said above, we already have a duck; psyduck.

You know what else we already have? A mole. (Diglett) I'm looking at you Drilbur.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62    
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Oryx's Avatar
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrk View Post
While I do agree that there's no criteria for what's a pokemon or not, I think what he's trying to say is that some of the newer pokemon look like a copy-and-paste of older pokemon or from other cartoon shows, or are abnormally simplistic. While there were indeed pokemon in the older generations considered "bland" or "unoriginal" (Geodude is just a rock with arms and a face) it seems to be more noticeable this generation.

Lilipip/Herdier/Stoutland just look like ordinary dogs. I know they're normal types, and I like them, but still...
While Sawk and Throh are really cool with a really cool concept, I personally find it rather strange that they're naturally wearing full articles of clothing like gis. However, I would also find them strange without their gis...
Ducklett, again, is just a duck, only blue with cartoony eyes.
The Vanillite family, while cute and all, seems like it would be more comfortable in Fighting Foodons...

As I said before, there's no criteria for what's a pokemon is supposed to be, and there are bland or lame-looking pokemon in every generation, but the Unova pokemon, despite having many amazing-looking pokemon I love, also has those pokemon that stick out like a sore thumb.
Have they become more noticeable in general or have you grown up to become a more critical young adult instead of a less critical child? I think the latter is far more likely.

From the fighting belt on Machamp to the spoons every single Alakazam has to the commercial, obviously human-made magnets that Magnemite/ton are made out of to Hitmonchan's outfit and gloves to Jynx's dress, Pokemon has always had creatures with human items. Like I said before, you say they didn't 'stick out' to you, but that's not because it's less obvious. It's because you were younger when you were introduced to them, so you grew up not questioning their designs.

Here are some Gen I Pokemon that are merely an animal with 1-2 changed features, similar to Ducklett:

Spoiler:





__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63    
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:36 AM
DARKSHADE's Avatar
DARKSHADE
Waiting.. In the Shadows..
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Johto - Goldenrod/Azalea
Age: 18
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post


Have they become more noticeable in general or have you grown up to become a more critical young adult instead of a less critical child? I think the latter is far more likely.

From the fighting belt on Machamp to the spoons every single Alakazam has to the commercial, obviously human-made magnets that Magnemite/ton are made out of to Hitmonchan's outfit and gloves to Jynx's dress, Pokemon has always had creatures with human items. Like I said before, you say they didn't 'stick out' to you, but that's not because it's less obvious. It's because you were younger when you were introduced to them, so you grew up not questioning their designs.

Here are some Gen I Pokemon that are merely an animal with 1-2 changed features, similar to Ducklett:

Spoiler:






Honestly I don't think it's just the 'Animal with a few changes' that makes this generation not as good as the others.. it's the new artwork style, it just isn't as good as the old one used to be.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64    
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Azure's Avatar
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hoenn ☆
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Well I've acknowledged them as Pokémon now and to me, they're fine.. they can't make them all too similar I mean there is 649 so you are limited to creations, if anything I think they are doing a great job.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #65    
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:24 PM
-ty-'s Avatar
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post


You can't have it both ways though. You can have original ones that don't look like Pokemon, or ones that rip off other Pokemon but do look like Pokemon.
Agree with this 100 percent!
Reply With Quote
  #66    
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:58 PM
SnowpointQuincy's Avatar
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Also, i wanted to add this:

There are 649 pokemon - You are NOT going to like all of them. There are that many pokemon to make sure that you like SOME of them.

I'm not a fan of Gloom/Bellossom, but I'm not complaining about it. Why? Because I can name at least 100 new and old pokemon that I adore so, so, much!


I have a Ducklet holding an Everstone named Duck Rodgers. I don't know why, but I love him more than most people! (might be exaggerating a little bit.)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67    
Old March 8th, 2012, 03:59 PM
hiff8's Avatar
hiff8
Gotta Derp em all
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Male
The only ones that really stuck me like that ( at first) were Sawk and Throh, they looked like fan art to me more then pokemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizarod View Post
TRUBBISH IS NOT A POKEMON!!!! It's a friggin garbage bag. WTF? Did someone take out the trash and turn around to see it randomly come to life? I think Trubbish is the weirdest one ever.
.
And Grimer is a pile of Purple mud, i really never saw why people disliked trubbish so much, he was like the only pokemon i used up until the elite 4, he seemed just as legit an idea as any other pokemon
__________________
My friend code for Y/3ds: 3222-6867-7895

Last edited by hiff8; March 8th, 2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Reply With Quote
  #68    
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Mr. Magius's Avatar
Mr. Magius
  
Community Supporter Tier 5
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ... ;)
Gender: Male
Well they're Pokémon. So they have to look like Pokémon.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69    
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Victini
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAshKetchum View Post
b&w pokemon suck, they look like cheap rip off's of digimon..

Spoiler:


I am inclined to disagree.

All Pokemon gens have strange Pokemon that may or may not look like they belong. I for one do not feel there should ever be a label placed on what a Pokemon can or cannot look like. A Pokemon is a Pokemon. It doesn't have a description to what it is supposed to look like... i-it is just that.

I find this opinion to be very strange. I personally think if our Gen 1 was filled with Gen 5 Pokemon we would love them as we do Gen 1 now, and cherish them no matter how they look... but if our Gen 5 had all Gen 1 Pokemon, "Oh this Pokemon looks like a Digimon", "This isn't a Pokemon, it's a red and white ball!", "How creative, a pink flying cat that can use all the Pokemon moves. PFF." etc etc...

T-that's just my two cents, anyways...
Reply With Quote
  #70    
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Mr. Magius's Avatar
Mr. Magius
  
Community Supporter Tier 5
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ... ;)
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post


Have they become more noticeable in general or have you grown up to become a more critical young adult instead of a less critical child? I think the latter is far more likely.
...Amen. O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victini View Post
Spoiler:


I am inclined to disagree.

All Pokemon gens have strange Pokemon that may or may not look like they belong. I for one do not feel there should ever be a label placed on what a Pokemon can or cannot look like. A Pokemon is a Pokemon. It doesn't have a description to what it is supposed to look like... i-it is just that.

I find this opinion to be very strange. I personally think if our Gen 1 was filled with Gen 5 Pokemon we would love them as we do Gen 1 now, and cherish them no matter how they look... but if our Gen 5 had all Gen 1 Pokemon, "Oh this Pokemon looks like a Digimon", "This isn't a Pokemon, it's a red and white ball!", "How creative, a pink flying cat that can use all the Pokemon moves. PFF." etc etc...
Very good point.

And Digimon are "digital monsters"... aren't Pokémon digital monsters as well? The only reason Digimon have their distinct style is because of the artist(s). If a Digimon was drawn by an artist of the Pokémon series, it would probably blend in perfectly.

No matter what, there will always be people who will complain. Game Freak went for a unique style, but in my opinion, stayed remarkably true to the classic 'Pokémon' flavour, probably closest to Generation II. If they chose to take inspiration from Generation I's extremely simple style, there would be more people complaining about how plain and bland the Pokémon are.

I especially liked how Game Freak chose to not give a hint if there was a shortage of concepts (although for some reason people tend to think that >_>). We were given another duck, another cat, another dog; but optimistically, there are tons of things you can do with just the concept of one animal... then there's even more creativity involved when it comes to evolution (especially branch evolution), like adding a new type, or regional mythology.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71    
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Oryx's Avatar
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
I think a lot of the cries of lack of originality half stem from parallels to other generations, and half stem from the ones that don't parallel. There's a group of people that hate the unique ones (either they're not close enough to a specific animal or they don't look like creatures at all), and then there are people that hate the ones that parallel other generations (they couldn't think of a new idea, instead copied an old one). I'm sure in both cases they were very distinct decisions by Game Freak; since Unova is supposed to be a new start, they were already forcing you to use Pokemon you weren't comfortable with yet. It's comforting to see things that are familiar and similar to what you're used to in that situation.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72    
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
I think the non-animals are more detailed than the past generations ones, or at least to us now. When we saw Nidoran growing up we didn't pay attention to the small details, but now we're older we tend to do that, which basically sums up what Toujours said. We're fine with animals like Minccino because they're what we accept. We're not fine with Trubbish because we'd rather have Mr. Mime. Clearly because you see mimes everywhere and not rubbish bags...

Unova reflects reality in their designs, past generations don't do that as much.

If it weren't for battling I'd consider Sinnoh least like Pokemon because I spent the least amount of time with them, btw, so it's just getting used to them, etc.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73    
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:25 AM
hiff8's Avatar
hiff8
Gotta Derp em all
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Male
I think the real main reason people don't like them is because they tried to go more retro and break the mold
__________________
My friend code for Y/3ds: 3222-6867-7895
Reply With Quote
  #74    
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:50 AM
fatcatfuller's Avatar
fatcatfuller
Master of HG and Black
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 13
Gender: Male
Nature: Hardy
I have the 2 games and the game has old pokemon after you finish the story. they still look like pokemon. Munna defenetly.
__________________
Red and Blue Started it all



My dream team. up
Reply With Quote
  #75    
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Glow Worm's Not Glowing's Avatar
Glow Worm's Not Glowing
Not-So-Masterful
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, NY
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Well, I definitely see where the OP is coming from, in the sense that some of the Pokemon were a little ... different, but I think different is okay.

And to be honest, I always look at Pokemon as the "Pocket Monsters" they were always referred to as. If, in the Pokemon world, my t.v. jumped up, sprouted wings, had eyes, and shot fire from it's two slits that it calls nostrils, I'd still say "That's a Poke! Now I'mma catch it!" because it's a monster ... that I can fit in my pocket.

If it's a bunch of gears, a pile of garbage, or a flaming pile of poop, if it can be caught in a ball, it is a Pokemon, mainly because in ANY society, that is a "monster". Trainers just deal with their monsters in a slightly more peaceful fashion. (fainting and catching instead of hunting down and murdering all of its kind)

Just my opinion, though. c:
__________________


PKMN Trainer since '99
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.