Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation
Reload this Page B W Do you think that some of the Unova Pokemon don't even look like Pokemon?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Old May 10th, 2012 (05:51 PM).
VOLT TACKLE >:D

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by PEDRO12:
I agree with everything in this post, save for Vanillite. You can't argue, a Pokemon based off an ice-cream cone is just too stupid, something unprecedented in Pokemon history. Ice cream Pokemon? At least before this thing came up, Pokemon could have been considered serious, more or less. But Vanillite is just plain old stupid, and I'm not the only one to think so.

As for the rest, all the Unova Pokemon are actually very good :p Really creative and such (:
reread that again lol i sayed yeah he is pretty weird i never really liked him but then again theres always a couple of pokemon that never sit right with me, Mr. mime and Jynx, Quagsire, manetrik's pre-evo electrike, tropius (i liked hiim at first but then I was all like nah), The Rock-Nose pokemon's evolution, Togekiss, and of course vanillite and vanilluxe,

Finished the FR/LG monotype a loooooong time ago. Not that anyone cares though.
Old May 11th, 2012 (02:49 AM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by Mr Cat Dog:
Talent is talent, irrespective of what nationality you are. Just because Ken Sugimori is Japanese doesn't mean that every single Pokemon designer from now to the end of time has to be Japanese as well!
That wasn't really my point, but they suck. I mean, the first chance a non-Japanese artist gets a chance to design Pokemon for GF, he makes them that stupid? Their concepts suck, a lot. :(
Quote originally posted by Pikachukid:
reread that again lol i sayed yeah he is pretty weird i never really liked him but then again theres always a couple of pokemon that never sit right with me, Mr. mime and Jynx, Quagsire, manetrik's pre-evo electrike, tropius (i liked hiim at first but then I was all like nah), The Rock-Nose pokemon's evolution, Togekiss, and of course vanillite and vanilluxe,
Whaaa? I love Tropius ): :(

Old June 8th, 2012 (03:06 PM).
ashboy509

Nature: Calm
I fully agree mate! im not mad about the unova pokemon as much as kanto,johto,hoenn and sinnoh it just doesnt look the same i dont know can other people back me on this ?
Old June 13th, 2012 (09:12 PM).
let it go
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by conorward509:
I fully agree mate! im not mad about the unova pokemon as much as kanto,johto,hoenn and sinnoh it just doesnt look the same i dont know can other people back me on this ?
Maybe it's just the fact that you're not used to them. For the others you've spent upwards of like, 10 years and stuff with them, but with Unova Pokemon it's only been a little over two years, so it's a different story. :( Rather than looking not like Pokemon, you just haven't had the time to get accustomed to them.
Old June 14th, 2012 (01:12 AM). Edited July 3rd, 2012 by Altairis.
I'M ALL FIRED UP
BS

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I dont see how they can't be Pokemon since they're in the games and part of the franchise. Though I do think that maybe there were a few odd Pokemon that doesn't mean that they're not Pokemon... they also seemed to be more humanoid this gen (Meloetta, Pawniard's line, Gothia's line etc). It's just something that bothers me (even Mr Mime, Machop line, etc, they all look weird to me)

N E W ☆ G E N E R A T I O N S
Old June 14th, 2012 (07:22 AM).
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
Like others said if this Gen came first others would look wierd. You got to understand that this is mainly for kids. Look at Gothital and all them.....they look wierd yes.but then look at Mr. Mime and Jynx. They alos look wierd and they are from Gen. 1.

Pokemon look like pokemon because they are in the pokemon world.

At the person who said they looked more humanoid above me. That's the same with Jynx and Mr.Mime plus a few others.
Old June 15th, 2012 (03:19 AM).

i find garbodor is wierd looking, i like him though but a trash bag looking pokemon for me is kinda funny. was the guy who made him drunk or something
Old June 16th, 2012 (12:48 AM). Edited June 16th, 2012 by Sweet Smoochum.
Banned

Nature: Bashful
Gears were in Colosseum, Marley, who was in Sinnoh, involved with Shaymin, in a way kind of foreshadowed the Gothita line. Cynthia likes ice cream in the anime...and visits Unova...Cherubi looks food-based, too... like a pink cherry... ice cream with a cherry on top... Cherubi on a Vanilluxe. mmm. Muk was like a sewer Pokémon...Trubbish is a garbage Pokémon. Emolga and Pachirisu as well as Plusle and Minun...resemblence there. Blitzle, electric version of Ponyta. Lillipup and Purrloin like Poochyena and Skitty... 2 Normal type, 2 Dark type. :D Like that comparison. Joltik and Spinarak... spiders! :D

How are the Unova Pokémon not Pokémon?
Old June 16th, 2012 (06:19 AM).

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Flameheart7
Durant and Heatmor are very strange. They look like monsters from some dungeon crawling RPG to me xD

Follow me on Twitter (:
Old June 20th, 2012 (11:40 AM). Edited June 20th, 2012 by Atomic Pirate.
I always win.

Nature: Impish
Druddigon looks like something out of Digimon or Dragonball Z.

Haxorus looks like a Digimon.

Vanillite and its evos are freaking ice cream cones.

The Elemental Monkeys look like they come from Dora the Explorer

Chandelure is a freaking chandelier.

Trubbish and Garbodor are freaking garbage.

Conkeldurr has a crappy name and is a fighting pig with pillars.

Keldeo looks like something a brony came up with.

Gothitelle is a freaking gothic lolita weeaboo.

Klink and its evos are freaking gears. And I know what all you anti-Gen I and II idiots will be saying: "HURR DURR MAGNEZONE WUZ DA SAMEEEE!!!!111". Well, at least Magnezone looked cool.

Sigilyph was a freaking...umm...I guess a flying jack-o-lantern covered in wooden armor, given huge wings, forks for arms, an eye sticking out of its head, and a garden rake for a tail.

There are a few decent Gen V Pokemon, though, the Snivy line wasn't too bad, Darmanitan was alright, Elgyem and Beheeyem were pretty cool, and I quite liked Joltik and Galvantula.

However, there are other Pokemon in this generation, many of which are covered with pointless spikes, armor, and markings, simply to make them look "cooler" to the little kids. Game Freak has stooped to the level of Digimon by piling overdone weapons, pointless spikes, overdone markings, and purposeless armor on Pokemon. Just look at Genesect and Haxorus as examples:

Genesect: A cockroach, but overloaded with armor, robotic plates, and a gun.

Haxorus: A dragon, but given purposeless spiked armor and a pair of stupid, overblown tusks.

Sounds like Digimon to me...

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old June 20th, 2012 (12:27 PM).
Momentai :D

Nature: Quirky

Seriously what. How the heck is this thing meant to look like a Pokémon? It just looks like a kung-fu person painted blue :c Things like Vanillite, Garbodor, etc, I can understand since they're still based loosely on something that could be taken to be a Pokémon, but a kung-fu master? Just what. ;;
Old June 20th, 2012 (03:22 PM).
I always win.

Quote originally posted by AlexOzzyCake:

Seriously what. How the heck is this thing meant to look like a Pokémon? It just looks like a kung-fu person painted blue :c Things like Vanillite, Garbodor, etc, I can understand since they're still based loosely on something that could be taken to be a Pokémon, but a kung-fu master? Just what. ;;
Honestly, I didn't think that Throh and Sawk were problems, aside from the awful names. It's not like a kung-fu master is a new idea for a Pokemon; Machamp was a bodybuilder, Hitmonlee was a kickboxer, Hitmonchan and Primeape were boxers, Hitmontop was a Capoeira master, and Hariyama was a sumo wrestler. In fact, the concept of a kung-fu master is MUCH better than an ice cream cone or trashbag.

PM me if you add me.

Old June 21st, 2012 (11:21 PM).
Unburden Belly Drum
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
As others have said before me, I don't feel like any Pokemon "don't look like Pokemon."

I actually had this idea in gen 4, after seeing Palkia and Dialga for the first time. I saw them and said to myself, "these look like they belong in Digimon." But then DP released, and I played Pearl...and in the context of a Pokemon game, they all "fit." None looked out of place.

There is no definition as to what a Pokemon should look like or be based on. In the context of the game they all "look like Pokemon" to me.
Old June 24th, 2012 (04:37 PM).
Call Me Maybe

First post outside of introduction thread, squee!

I don't believe their to be anything wrong with the current generation's designs. Granted, we've treaded a lot of this ground before (Throh and Sawk are very obviously parallels to Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan), but Gamefreak manages to keep most all of the designs fresh. Pokemon that look... well, odd and pointless have been around since Generation 1 (see Lickitung and Farfetch'd, and later, Shuckle). This generation we have the three or four fish Pokemon and Vanillite.

And if I may, we've seen some of the more creative designs this gen, such as Reuniclus, Samurott, and several others.

No, these aren't the Pokemon you grew up with. They are brand new iterations and concepts. That's kinda the point.
Old June 25th, 2012 (02:39 PM).
→Let's laugh at everything!

Nature: Quirky
A lot of them are reminiscent of Digimon, but...you can tell the difference, I think. That being said, ice cream? Garbage bags? You can do better than that, Gamefreak ;___;

Buuuut on the other hand, Samurott, Serperior, Braviary, Joltik/Galvantula, Larvesta/Volcarona, the Lillipup line (i love dog pokemon <3) are some of my all-time favorites. I think the good designs far outweigh the bad ones, tbh.

♫A message I've thought much too much about,
Maybe it'll reach somebody, who can say?
Certainly, I've always been this way,
A patched up, crazy matryoshka♫

"Matryoshka" - hachi/Hatsune Miku & Megpoid Gumi

Old June 26th, 2012 (05:50 PM).
Kalos Explorer!

The only pokemon I will agree that does not look like a pokemon is Druddigon. It really does look like a digimon but it is a pokemon. Most people like the Ice Cream pokemon. In fact,it's one of my favorites.
Old June 26th, 2012 (07:05 PM).
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
I like all of Gen V designs and I kinda feel like if it was made by pokemon and declared to be a pokemon than it must be a pokemon, looks included...
So I don't entirely get how it can't look like a pokemon haha
I mean, sure, some of th designs don't look like they'd fit in with the original 151 (garbodor, druddigon, golurk) but that doesn't mean to me that they don't look like pokemon.

Although I will say the versions of kyurem look a little... out there.
Old June 26th, 2012 (09:03 PM).

Well, Pokemon can be whatever. Thats what commercials say- Pokemon in all different shapes and sizes. But i see where your going, A water turtle(squirtle), Fire dragon (charizard), and rat (rattata) to ice cream, a candle, and trash.
Old June 26th, 2012 (10:35 PM).
MOM GET THE CAMERA

It all depends on your opinion on what a Pokémon is. You just have to get used to them I think.

And yeah, Trubbish is a weird Pokémon, but still, we had Grimer in the old days...
Old July 2nd, 2012 (09:09 AM). Edited July 2nd, 2012 by NG55.

You think that Gen 5 Pokemon look weird, but I read someone's signature and they were saying Red and Blue were new and Black and White were the first, but only to look at the Red and Blue Pokemon. A rock with arms, a MIME, whatever the hell Jinx is!! Some of the original Pokes were weird so don't say that the new ones are weird!!!

Quote originally posted by Joshua64:
Well, Pokemon can be whatever. Thats what commercials say- Pokemon in all different shapes and sizes. But i see where your going, A water turtle(squirtle), Fire dragon (charizard), and rat (rattata) to ice cream, a candle, and trash.
A candle? Pokemon seems to be ripping Digimon off a lot in the past few games and Black & White 2 with fusion evolution. Primape from D/P/Pl looks A LOT like Apemon, and so on. Apparently the sound of Kuwagamon from Digimon Adventure is the same as the Anime sound of Rayquaza, so Pokemon ripped off Digimon with that. Ironic isn't it?

Quote originally posted by Sakura Rain:
A lot of them are reminiscent of Digimon, but...you can tell the difference, I think. That being said, ice cream? Garbage bags? You can do better than that, Gamefreak ;___;

Buuuut on the other hand, Samurott, Serperior, Braviary, Joltik/Galvantula, Larvesta/Volcarona, the Lillipup line (i love dog pokemon <3) are some of my all-time favorites. I think the good designs far outweigh the bad ones, tbh.
What makes that reminiscent of Digimon? Just because they look strange? Pokemon is ripping off Digimon with Fusion Evolution in Black 2 and White 2 so yeah!!!
Old July 6th, 2012 (06:00 AM).
Resident Peacekeeper

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by NG55:
A candle? Pokemon seems to be ripping Digimon off a lot in the past few games and Black & White 2 with fusion evolution.

What makes that reminiscent of Digimon? Just because they look strange? Pokemon is ripping off Digimon with Fusion Evolution in Black 2 and White 2 so yeah!!!
Technically, it is not a "fusion evolution", it is just a "fusion".
Also, this "fusion" looks better than anything Digimon has.
The place where I was born

Scars, she’s got her scars
Sometimes it starts to worry me
Cause lose, I don’t want to lose
Sight of who we are

From the mountains high
To the wave-crashed coast
There’s a way to find
Better days I know

It’s been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
This is still the place
That we all call home
Old July 7th, 2012 (12:42 PM).
I always win.

For all you people out there saying "IF GAMEFREAK SAYZ ITZ A POKEYMANS THEN IT LOOKZ LIKE A POKEYMANZ", then would you think that this would look like a Pokemon if Game Freak released it?

PM me if you add me.

Old July 22nd, 2012 (10:55 PM).
let it go
Crystal Tier

Yeah... that would look like a Digimon lmao. But really as far as Digimon-looking Pokemon in B/W go, it's really only Reshiram and Zekrom. When I first saw them they looked kinda out of place from everything else. As far as everything else is concerned it's more just GF went crazy on designs. :x Well, for a few of them aka Trubbish etc.
Old July 22nd, 2012 (11:36 PM).
Hope will never die! ~Lucina

Quote originally posted by Requility:
Yeah... that would look like a Digimon lmao. But really as far as Digimon-looking Pokemon in B/W go, it's really only Reshiram and Zekrom. When I first saw them they looked kinda out of place from everything else. As far as everything else is concerned it's more just GF went crazy on designs. :x Well, for a few of them aka Trubbish etc.
Nah that looks more like a Yugioh character lol.
Back OT, how can they not look like pokemon when there is no standard or rules for what a pokemon must look like?
Old July 23rd, 2012 (02:59 AM).
fml

Nature: Naughty
When i first saw them I would agree that I didn't think some seemed to look like Pokemon, but I knew once I saw them in the anime i'd become to accept them.
The only one i really remember i didn't like was Heatmor (that's its name yeah?) but now i've seen it in the anime i'm okay with it.
There were a few more, but i cant remember them

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links