Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Events & Groups
Reload this Page Sacred Wings Clan

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Events & Groups Want to join or set up a tournament? You're in the right place! Here you can find competitions and events as well as clans and other groups.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed. Posts in this forum do not add to your total post count. Four-word rule and character-limit do not apply here.

Old January 24th, 2012 (03:38 AM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by Forever:
Okay considering their latest post before this was 2008...

I'll face you in the tournament, SniDERPy. Sorry about the confusion, etc. Because really, everyone else is a "somewhat" active member and has been on since then, so...

And +8 for me! :3 @ timezone.

SO. While Impo's fixing the CSS again (I guess?), and while we're still waiting for battles to occur, discussion time!

What do you guys think is the most important skill to master @ competitive battling? (lol yeah I know there's many, so making it hard aka you have to choose just ONE)
Well competitive battling is pretty much made up of team building, prediction and luck. And seeing as the last one is very hard to master, I would have to go with prediction, because you could have the best team, and still mispredict and lose.
Old January 24th, 2012 (04:49 AM).
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
Well competitive battling is pretty much made up of team building, prediction and luck. And seeing as the last one is very hard to master, I would have to go with prediction, because you could have the best team, and still mispredict and lose.
How the hell does one master luck? Please Vaporeon if you know, YOU MUST TELL ME.

Team building is very important but I will say that the actual ability to use the team is more important than the team itself. There are people out there who copy teams from other people but without having a really solid understanding of how the team functions, you'll be far more prone to make mistakes when thrown into difficult situations. This same concept applies to many other games too, TCGs for example.

On a side note, I would like to say that a good way for someone new to develop their skills in most games would be to pick a popular strategy and learn the ins and outs to it. Once they have done so, they can start to experiment with different strategies and get a broader feel to the overall meta game.
Old January 31st, 2012 (10:57 PM).
☆ a sky full of stars
Crystal Tier

Oh what, dead for a week? MY APOLOGIES. /REVIVES FROM DEATH

Actually guys, with a volturning team, even if you mispredict chances are you'll still end up winning against a HO team tbh. ;x So really... I think it IS team building, because there's some teams that are just almost impossible to beat really.
Old February 1st, 2012 (02:43 AM). Edited February 1st, 2012 by Yoshikko.
the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on

Nature: Hasty
Well you don't really master luck lol, and it's not really luck anyway - it's chance. Prediction only goes to a certain extent, but you still need the right team. Besides, there isn't really a lot of teambuilding anymore, throw 6 OU Pokémon together with 500 base stats that cover eachother and that's it really. It's hardly about skill anymore.

WELL APPARENTLY I CAN'T SAY HI IN MY FRIEND'S CLAN I SEE HOW IT IS >;(( Doing it anyway!!
Old February 1st, 2012 (03:28 AM).
-CONQUERER

Hey it's Yoshi! If I end up getting stabbed in the back while on the street, I'll know who to blame.

Building the "ultimate" team is pretty much impossible in Pokemon. There's way too many threats to conceivably be able to cover them all sufficiently with just six Pokemon. Some strategies work better than others of course, but ultimately you're bound to get screwed over by some Pokemon no matter how good your deck building skills are.
Old February 1st, 2012 (09:32 AM).
Double battles veteran

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Yahoo to Tsukimaru
well, i`ve got no clan yet and the introduction surely attracted me :D

can i still join you?

/showthread.php?t=188702

Diamond FC:1719-2198-5393.
Platinum FC:3395-0270-3626
HeartGold FC: 4297-5796-7530

Check out my battles and comment please xP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9P1Zd4exY4
Old February 1st, 2012 (04:50 PM).
☆ a sky full of stars
Crystal Tier

Pokemon battling doesnt need a deck Drakow ;x

Either way! Yeah you can join Tsukimaru, I'll add you to the first post when I'm on a computer. :3 Wanna input on our current discussion?
Old February 1st, 2012 (05:53 PM).
Double battles veteran

yeah, why not?

LOL, mastering luck xD that`s kinnda impossible since that`s just as it is named: "LUCK"
you dont decide when to hit a Critical, or a flinching move to flinch, however, you can pray to God, Alah, Buda, or whoever you believe in and ask him to make it happen

/showthread.php?t=188702

Old February 1st, 2012 (11:27 PM).
Crystal Tier

I'm sure if you calculated the coding of the program and found the numbers the pseudo number generator made and have the formulae to find it, you could master luck.
Old February 2nd, 2012 (02:18 AM).
-CONQUERER

Pokemon battling doesnt need a deck Drakow ;x
Not so much a deck, Forever. I think Pokemon battling would be better if it was like the VGC rules where you have the team preview then pick four out of six Pokemon to battle with. In this format what people would do is have a main strategy and then have one or two Pokemon which were "tech" choices against other strategies that were either popular or they would struggle against. So it's kind of like side decking in YGO. So for example I might have a team of Tyranitar, Landorus, Jellicent and Scizor as my general team and then have Magnezone and trick room Reuniclus as techs against enemy steel types or fast, frail teams.

@ Vaporeon: Charming as your theory is, it's impractical as no one here has any intention of hacking the randomization system.
Old February 2nd, 2012 (02:59 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Drakow:
@ Vaporeon: Charming as your theory is, it's impractical as no one here has any intention of hacking the randomization system.
I did say it was very hard to master.
Old February 2nd, 2012 (05:33 AM).
-CONQUERER

I did say it was very hard to master.
The difficulty is irrelevant. No one would tamper with any of that anyway as it is cheating. The nature of this luck is such that neither player is supposed to be able to control the random factor.
Old February 2nd, 2012 (10:46 AM).
Double battles veteran

hey vaporeon, in pokemon there are some facts, some managed by the trainers and others that we cannot control (we know you can -.-, but you shouldn`t).
the factors you can certainly control are Genes (IV), EV, Moveset, and strategies. the other factors are what makes the game what it is: 80% skill, 20% luck.
those are Damage calculation, Hax, and accuracy (for those who dont know, 100% attacks may miss even though the opponent`s evasiveness is 0, that`s because max accuracy allowed by the game is 99.9%)

if you modify this last 3 factors, the game loses its point and wouldnt be pokemon anymore since the FUN factor is missing. i mean, you decide when you win and when you lose, and that isn`t the point of competitive gaming.

of course this is just imo

/showthread.php?t=188702

Old February 7th, 2012 (11:33 PM).
☆ a sky full of stars
Crystal Tier

Well, you can sorta control luck, by removing it entirely (or at least decreasing it), Rock Slide > Stone Edge, HP fighting > Focus Blast, etc. :x I personally don't trust anything with luck, except Stone Edge which barely misses for me, therefore is perfect. AND... to control luck you would use Stone Edge on a turn it doesn't matter, on a switch-in that you could OHKO anyways. /suchlogicIknow

Or... to master luck, use Jirachi and hax the world. :)
Old February 7th, 2012 (11:42 PM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Tsukimaru:
hey vaporeon, in pokemon there are some facts, some managed by the trainers and others that we cannot control (we know you can -.-, but you shouldn`t).
the factors you can certainly control are Genes (IV), EV, Moveset, and strategies. the other factors are what makes the game what it is: 80% skill, 20% luck.
those are Damage calculation, Hax, and accuracy (for those who dont know, 100% attacks may miss even though the opponent`s evasiveness is 0, that`s because max accuracy allowed by the game is 99.9%)

if you modify this last 3 factors, the game loses its point and wouldnt be pokemon anymore since the FUN factor is missing. i mean, you decide when you win and when you lose, and that isn`t the point of competitive gaming.

of course this is just imo
I never said I'd ever do it, I just said one could do it.
Old February 9th, 2012 (02:56 AM).

Haaaaaaai! I'd like to join, please! :D
Old February 9th, 2012 (03:05 AM).
-CONQUERER

Well, you can sorta control luck, by removing it entirely (or at least decreasing it), Rock Slide > Stone Edge, HP fighting > Focus Blast, etc. :x I personally don't trust anything with luck, except Stone Edge which barely misses for me, therefore is perfect. AND... to control luck you would use Stone Edge on a turn it doesn't matter, on a switch-in that you could OHKO anyways. /suchlogicIknow

Or... to master luck, use Jirachi and hax the world.
Your terminology is misleading and technically incorrect. You are not actually controlling luck, as that is not possible (excluding Vaporeon's theory for the sake of realistic gameplay). I know you mean that you are reducing the risk factor by using more accurate moves or attacking with inaccurate moves when the opponent is likely to switch etc. I'm just being needlessly nit picky here :p

Anyway, I generally tend to use the high powered, less accuracy attacks like Fire Blast over Flamethrower for example. The dark side is all about wielding great and terrifying power.
Old February 9th, 2012 (08:03 AM).
Veteran Trainer

i would love to join this clan if it is possible
Old February 9th, 2012 (08:59 PM).
Double battles veteran

Your terminology is misleading and technically incorrect. You are not actually controlling luck, as that is not possible (excluding Vaporeon's theory for the sake of realistic gameplay). I know you mean that you are reducing the risk factor by using more accurate moves or attacking with inaccurate moves when the opponent is likely to switch etc. I'm just being needlessly nit picky here :p

Anyway, I generally tend to use the high powered, less accuracy attacks like Fire Blast over Flamethrower for example. The dark side is all about wielding great and terrifying power.
well, i difere from your oppinion about accuracy and power. i think that power isn`t everything. i rather a decent power BUT high accuracy because let`s say your last poke is fighting the opponent`s last poke, and you want to use fire blast, then you fail and your opponent sweeps you. however, if you use flamethrower (best fire-type attack followed by Fiery Dance imo), you are SURE ENOUGH that you won the match.

this happened so many times to me when i was starting to competitive play pokemon that i gave up on using overpowered moves as i used to.

/showthread.php?t=188702

Old February 10th, 2012 (12:11 AM).
☆ a sky full of stars
Crystal Tier

well, i difere from your oppinion about accuracy and power. i think that power isn`t everything. i rather a decent power BUT high accuracy because let`s say your last poke is fighting the opponent`s last poke, and you want to use fire blast, then you fail and your opponent sweeps you. however, if you use flamethrower (best fire-type attack followed by Fiery Dance imo), you are SURE ENOUGH that you won the match.

this happened so many times to me when i was starting to competitive play pokemon that i gave up on using overpowered moves as i used to.
Yeah I always tend to go for ones with accuracy. I mean I'd be all good if rock attacks and special fighting had higher accuracy (or Aura Sphere was dispersed more) but lower attack, because really for certain attacks, most of the Pokemon you face in the tier (OU) at least are 2x weak anyway to those so even the weaker versions w/ higher accuracy win out.

Quote originally posted by smurf:
i would love to join this clan if it is possible
Well you applied to two other clans, are you apart of them or...?

Pfft, it's close enough to controlling y/y? :3;

And if luck hates you, you lose. In real life would you take that risk?! Probably not!!

Quote originally posted by vizarod:
Haaaaaaai! I'd like to join, please! :D
I ALREADY ACCEPTED YOU ON PO BUT HI STAY ACTIVE WELCOME AND SO ON. :)
Old February 10th, 2012 (12:28 AM).
-CONQUERER

It's also happened that flamethrower lacked the power I needed to KO certain threats etc and I was like why isn't this Fire Blast. It usually happens on the battle subway though, when you're on the higher levels.
Old February 10th, 2012 (09:44 AM).
Veteran Trainer

no im not apart of the other two clans
Old February 12th, 2012 (03:31 AM).
☆ a sky full of stars
Crystal Tier

Okay added you smurf, aaand everyone else, I updated the first post [ http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7000057&postcount=1 ] so it's now sexy, so give me a link to the sprites you want next to your name AND since nobody seems fond of a tournament right now, I'd much rather if everyone started battling, and posting when they win or lose here. Now our first post looks sexy we can totally use more activity and such, GOGOGO EVERYONE.

So yeah, starting now, every battle you have with a clan member counts. :3
Old February 12th, 2012 (04:15 AM).
-CONQUERER

Uhm Forever. Where is our clan theme song in the OP?

Also use this for my sprite.

Old February 12th, 2012 (04:18 AM).
☆ a sky full of stars
Crystal Tier

I'll add that back in a sec, it'll be in the scroll bar though.

Aaand I need transparent pngs. Or gifs. ;x White on black is ugly!!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)