The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
p.claydon

thank you for the tip ive now got it so professor oak tells you how many pokemon you own and how many youve seen only thing im having issues with is getting him to judge your performance but working on it
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Look in the Common Events. There's already an example there, which is used when calling the Prof on the phone.
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:11 AM
p.claydon

ok i feel dumb now especially since i have just made a script for it for when speaking to prof oak
Old June 16th, 2012, 01:13 PM
p.claydon

ok another suggestion either remove the generate code option in the pokemon debug or allow a way to imput codes to gen pokemon
Old June 16th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.claydon View Post
ok another suggestion either remove the generate code option in the pokemon debug or allow a way to imput codes to gen pokemon
Way ahead of you. It'll be removed in the next release.
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:41 PM
pokehackster

Personally I would like to have a way to make maps similar to dive maps except have them as sky maps or underground maps, AND YES I do know that I could just copy the Dive map scripts and such, BUT the major problem is I (along with many other people here) have little to no idea what I'm doing when I'm scripting in RMXP x.x

Edit: Or if you don't want to make the whole thing I'm sure most people would be happy with a tutorial on how someone could go about this and what all they would have to copy and edit and such.

My deviantART

Sometimes you just have to ask your self "would I rather be crazy or stupid?"

Last edited by pokehackster; June 28th, 2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:13 AM
xalien95
Creator of Pkmn Omicron [ITA]

Send a message via Skype™ to xalien95
I would the "fix" of the Scene_Movie script xD
When the border is on, the video coordinates are 0 and 0, not $ResizeFactor :D

Is it possible to move the video with that script?
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:02 PM
DarkGrey

Now that moves and abilities like Air Balloon which make a user immune to a type of attack are programmed in, the AI should be changed to reflect that.
Old July 14th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
I think that in the future essentials should have the most up-to-date graphics (animated battle sprites, BW/2 tiles and sprites, etc). I also think that all the items should updated in the PBS folder (to BW2 specifications, e.g. DNA Link Pin, etc) as well as all 649 pokemon + their form changes.
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Pokemon 3000
huh?

Nature: Rash
A Suggestion for the next release: Support for different pokémon-icons like the sprites. Some female pokémon have a different icon, so it would be nice, if Essentials support female-icons. You can combine this feature with a different icon for shiny pokémon, if you want. I already changed the mentioned code in my project:

PokemonUtilities around line 1462

Replace
Code:
    bitmapFileName=pbResolveBitmap(sprintf("Graphics/Icons/icon%03d_%d",pokemon.species,(pokemon.form rescue 0)))
    bitmapFileName=sprintf("Graphics/Icons/icon%03d",
       pokemon.species) if !bitmapFileName
with

Code:
    bitmapFileName=pbResolveBitmap(sprintf("Graphics/Icons/icon%03d%s%s_%d",pokemon.species,
       pokemon.gender==1 ? "f" : "",
       pokemon.isShiny? ? "s" : "",(pokemon.form rescue 0)))
    bitmapFileName=pbResolveBitmap(sprintf("Graphics/Icons/icon%03d%s_%d",pokemon.species,
       pokemon.isShiny? ? "s" : "",(pokemon.form rescue 0))) if !bitmapFileName
    bitmapFileName=pbResolveBitmap(sprintf("Graphics/Icons/icon%03d%s%s",pokemon.species,
       pokemon.gender==1 ? "f" : "",
       pokemon.isShiny? ? "s" : "")) if !bitmapFileName
    bitmapFileName=pbResolveBitmap(sprintf("Graphics/Icons/icon%03d%s",pokemon.species,
       pokemon.isShiny? ? "s" : "")) if !bitmapFileName
Old July 18th, 2012, 09:29 PM
AmethystRain
Crystaline

Returning to sprite reposition, can we add some sort of way to jump to a certain letter?

That crash thing still exists, and while I know it's just because of using gifs, I know I'm not the only one who uses them. And even for static sprites, it would be useful to quickly navigate rather than scrolling through 500-650 pokemon.
Meanwhile, I've been trying to reposition some sprites today- not a lot, just the ones that are like off-the platform. Scrolling through animated sprites is terribly slow for loading, that can't be helped... But I've found that no matter what I do, after so many sprites are loaded, it'll crash. This means even jumping with the Page Down/Up keys, I literally cannot get to anything past Lugia to edit. And even getting that far has literally taken me seven hours.
I'm going to keep trying. I've had to modify pokemon.txt manually in several cases, and maybe I'll just have to do that for all of them until I can get to my Page Up range. It'll probably take me all of tomorrow. So regardless it's too late for me. But I don't wish having to go through these mind numbing crashes/slow scrolls on other people using animated sprites... So, I think having a jump to letter feature if at all possible, would be really helpful. It would definitely solve this issue, and be convenient otherwise.
Old July 29th, 2012, 06:50 AM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

A setting to define an array with the badges (or -1 to won't use a badge for a stat) that boost the stats in-game (search for '#Gym Badges' to find some occurrences of this effect.). Example in sequence ATK/DEF/SPD/SATK/SDEF: [0,2,-1,6,6] This example uses badges[0] for ATK, badges[2] for DEF and badges[6] for SATK and SDEF.

Put summaryball01, ball01_open and similar pictures in a separate folder.
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Ramond Hikari
- Lonely Shooting Star -

Nature: Lonely
Update all BW Pokemon, and update the PBS file for TMs. I can't see any BW pack which have updated the list of learnable TMs for generation 5 Pokemon :D

Old August 14th, 2012, 05:10 AM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

This may sounds useless, but you can put a clock in the Pokégear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramond Hikari View Post
Update all BW Pokemon, and update the PBS file for TMs. I can't see any BW pack which have updated the list of learnable TMs for generation 5 Pokemon :D
I even put the B2W2 Move Tutors as TMs (check the first post attachment): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=238068
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
This may sounds useless, but you can put a clock in the Pokégear?
It is useless. Computers have a clock in the corner anyway. You can make your own clock if you want it to go along with that unreal time tutorial you made (which, incidentally, needs updating a bit since I added method pbGetTimeNow).
Old August 19th, 2012, 10:42 AM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
It is useless. Computers have a clock in the corner anyway. You can make your own clock if you want it to go along with that unreal time tutorial you made (which, incidentally, needs updating a bit since I added method pbGetTimeNow).
The clock in the corner in computers may be disabled and the game may be in full screen mode. It is a little strange too a Pokégear without the clock.

Thanks for the tip in my tutorial, but I belive that my tutorial still works, anyway I will take a look.
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:21 PM
DarkGrey

Is there any sort of documentation for what item effects are working?
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Maruno

Yes, the Item effects discussion page.

Why did you ask in this thread? It's not really a suggestion.
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:33 PM
DarkGrey

Well if it didn't exist I was going to suggest it. And if that list is comprehensive then I'm damn impressed Maruno.
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Here's some suggestions:

1. Make it so you don't need to install the fonts to view them. (Yes, I am too lazy to take 10 seconds off to install them and I'm sure others are too)

2. Add the ability to go and add screen width/height without it modifying the Graphics module's screen width/height. (I'll explain this better if needed)

3. Add the mystery gift option to the title screen (simple as that)

4. Add the ability to create Pokemon (or edit them) through the editor (this includes all the other PB data not implemented yet to the editor)

5. Make the Tileset Editor (in the debug editor) keyboard operated instead of it's current Up/Down/Left/Right changing

6. Add some more move animations (at the very least the images which can be used to make more animations)

7. Add the R/S/E Game Corner mini game (forgot it's name but it's the one with the thing that spins and you try guessing in which category the ball lands in)

8. If my memory serves me right, didn't G/S/C also have another mini-game other than the slots? Anyways add that too.(I can't even remember how it works so no explanation really)

9. Battle Pyramid (Ok, this is possible with a small amount of effort and knowledge about the battle tower scripts + dungeons)

10. Pal Park (Eh, I don't care about this too much in the end)

11. Save Encryptions (I have already made a few of these, but it would be great if everyone could encrypt their saves so no-one can hack the games like that)

I have more, but I can't remember them...
Old October 28th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansiec View Post
Here's some suggestions:

1. Make it so you don't need to install the fonts to view them. (Yes, I am too lazy to take 10 seconds off to install them and I'm sure others are too)

2. Add the ability to go and add screen width/height without it modifying the Graphics module's screen width/height. (I'll explain this better if needed)

3. Add the mystery gift option to the title screen (simple as that)

4. Add the ability to create Pokemon (or edit them) through the editor (this includes all the other PB data not implemented yet to the editor)

5. Make the Tileset Editor (in the debug editor) keyboard operated instead of it's current Up/Down/Left/Right changing

6. Add some more move animations (at the very least the images which can be used to make more animations)

7. Add the R/S/E Game Corner mini game (forgot it's name but it's the one with the thing that spins and you try guessing in which category the ball lands in)

8. If my memory serves me right, didn't G/S/C also have another mini-game other than the slots? Anyways add that too.(I can't even remember how it works so no explanation really)

9. Battle Pyramid (Ok, this is possible with a small amount of effort and knowledge about the battle tower scripts + dungeons)

10. Pal Park (Eh, I don't care about this too much in the end)

11. Save Encryptions (I have already made a few of these, but it would be great if everyone could encrypt their saves so no-one can hack the games like that)

I have more, but I can't remember them...
You don't want much, do you?

1. The whole point of fonts is that you install them. If your only reason is that you're too lazy to do even that (Essentials does it for you!), then I'm seriously not going to even consider researching whether your proposal is even possible.

2. I don't know why you'd want to do this, aside from including a border. There you go, actually: borders used to work like this, so you can have a look into it yourself.

3. Essentials doesn't have a Mystery Gift feature.

4. I'll look into it.

5. Umm... Up/Down/Left/Right IS the keyboard.

6. There's a thread about making more move animations, which is of course dead. Go revive it. This is too trivial to be on my To Do list at the moment.

7/8. The Roulette (RSE) and Card Flip (GSC) are functionally the same game. Anyway, creating yet another mini-game is very low priority for me right now.

9. I don't know how it works, and the Battle Frontier scripts are a mess. I can definitely say I won't be doing this (someone else might, of course).

10. Please tell me what possible use the Pal Park might have in Essentials.

11. I'm not big on the encryption front, so I've not looked into save file encryption. I don't know if it matters much, as one person's game can't possibly interfere with another person's game anyway.
Old October 29th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
You don't want much, do you?

1. The whole point of fonts is that you install them. If your only reason is that you're too lazy to do even that (Essentials does it for you!), then I'm seriously not going to even consider researching whether your proposal is even possible.

2. I don't know why you'd want to do this, aside from including a border. There you go, actually: borders used to work like this, so you can have a look into it yourself.

3. Essentials doesn't have a Mystery Gift feature.

4. I'll look into it.

5. Umm... Up/Down/Left/Right IS the keyboard.

6. There's a thread about making more move animations, which is of course dead. Go revive it. This is too trivial to be on my To Do list at the moment.

7/8. The Roulette (RSE) and Card Flip (GSC) are functionally the same game. Anyway, creating yet another mini-game is very low priority for me right now.

9. I don't know how it works, and the Battle Frontier scripts are a mess. I can definitely say I won't be doing this (someone else might, of course).

10. Please tell me what possible use the Pal Park might have in Essentials.

11. I'm not big on the encryption front, so I've not looked into save file encryption. I don't know if it matters much, as one person's game can't possibly interfere with another person's game anyway.
1. Really, that never worked for me

2. Not sure either anymore

3. For possible future implantations, after all you did add some variables for it in the newest version of essentials.

4. Alright

5. I meant like pressing the number keys.

6. Never saw one, I'll look for it.

7/8. Alright then.

9. Thinking about this, I can do this in 10-20 minutes, I might do this myself.

10. If you plan on making a sequel or a second game, well it'd be nice to have it but again, I don't care too much (seeing as most people can't make 1 complete game)

11. Actually I was talking about someone hacking the game, and also what if 2 games have the exact same name? (Unlikely though but possible)
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Maruno

Quote:

2. Not sure either anymore

3. For possible future implantations, after all you did add some variables for it in the newest version of essentials.

4. Alright

5. I meant like pressing the number keys.

6. Never saw one, I'll look for it.

7/8. Alright then.

9. Thinking about this, I can do this in 10-20 minutes, I might do this myself.

10. If you plan on making a sequel or a second game, well it'd be nice to have it but again, I don't care too much (seeing as most people can't make 1 complete game)

11. Actually I was talking about someone hacking the game, and also what if 2 games have the exact same name? (Unlikely though but possible)
1. Then install them manually. The fonts are easily accessible, the process is quick and painless, and stop being lazy.

3. True, but I've also been adding support for Gen 5 multiple forms, yet Gen 5 Pokémon still aren't in Essentials either. It's just there if you want to use it. If I'm honest, v11 may well have a Mystery Gift feature in it, as soon as I can decide how it should work.

5. There are 16 terrain tags at the moment, and I don't think anyone's keyboard goes up to that. I don't think it's difficult to use the way it is, and it's not something you'd need to do often anyway.

9. If you get something that works, please consider donating it to Essentials.

10. As you said, pretty much no one's managed to make a single game yet, let alone games that are part of the same world which are designed to interact like that.

11. So you meant game encryption rather than save file encryption? Again, it doesn't matter because different save files can't interact with each other, and hacking a fangame is a prattish thing to do anyway. The wiki is supposed to list all playable games, which can help make sure that two don't share a name. I don't think it's up to me to prevent that kind of coincidence anyway.
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
9. If you get something that works, please consider donating it to Essentials.
Yeah, it's 90% working and I didn't even need to touch the scripts, I just have a bug on the player's graphic going missing and then the rest is to do with scripting the new menu and items.
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:37 PM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

1-I can't believe that you still have Map View option. Put it as a Setting or even remove it!

2-In the official games (I'm not sure), if you have a partner trainer and start a single trainer battle, the partner won't participate and the battle is a normal 1vs1 trainer battle. Can you do this on Essentials?

3-If I put four Route 321 maps, I need to define the encounters in the four ones. If I wish to put the same encounters in the four maps, I need to make a code duplicity, so can you make an aliases system for PBS encounters? Like "Copy 456" copy map 456 encounters data.

Quote:
Take a look if you are running the RPG Maker as Windows XP in the Compatibility Mode. Check also if you have administrator permission on your computer and if the game is an exception for your antivirus.

Quote:
Yeah, it's 90% working and I didn't even need to touch the scripts, I just have a bug on the player's graphic going missing and then the rest is to do with scripting the new menu and items.
In NPCs receptionists events on lobby, on second page, after the command "Wait: 8 frame(s)", add the command "Change Transparent Flag: Normal". This may be opacity as well (check move route events)

Sponsored Links